Graphic Problem of Baldur's Gate

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ingmik

Ingmik
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:53 AM

Hi to all :)

After a long time i decide to re-install all BG1 ( + ToSC): i have the italian version.

On my computer I have windows xp.

I install the game and it works perfectly but i found graphic anomalies.

Posted Image
Posted Image

You see blacks rectangles behind the texture?
I tried to change the compatibility to windows xp but it did not work.

When i enable the option: " Software Standard BLT" the anomalies disappear graphics but the game slows down terribly
Posted Image

Can you help me please ? :) Thanks for all :)

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:12 AM

The solution... it would also be good to know what GPU you have.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Ingmik

Ingmik
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:49 AM

The solution... it would also be good to know what GPU you have.

So, I solved the problem in another way: i have done so:

Start -> Esegui --> type dxdiag in textbox --> Press "ok" --> i go in this tab:
Posted Image

and I turned off the DirectDraw acceleration :)

Edited by Ingmik, 02 May 2009 - 09:44 AM.

#4 -nubonamission-

-nubonamission-

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:46 AM

This is great. I was having the same problem, and turning off the DirectDraw Acceleration fixed it. Thank you very much!

Peace,
nub

P.S. My GPU is GTX 260 (nVidia)

#5 -Brecht-

-Brecht-

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

I cannot turn off DirectDraw - acceleration ... There is no "deactivate" button next to it.Help and support on the system r useless

#6 Kepster

Kepster
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

For some (I'm sure) heavily-rationalized reason, they've disabled the ability to disable DDraw acceleration with certain video cards in Vista.  Or something.  Anyway, the nVidia fix also did not work for me but I managed to unearth a workaround somewhere.  Some time ago.  It's rather complicated, but here 'tis:

Download the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit.
Install, etc.
Run the Compatibility Administrator.
Then you can manually set up a "database" that will run baldur.exe with the compatibility fix "ForceDirectDrawEmulation."
It took me a while to figure out how to set that up, so for simplicity's sake I've uploaded the .sdb file (http://www.mediafire.com/?nyfodjmn5yt)
Copy that file to your BGII SoA folder.
In the Compatibility Administrator, select "Open" and then navigate to baldur.sdb within your installation folder.
Expand Applications on the left and click baldur's gate.
Click "Run."  It may ask you to locate the baldur.exe file.  If so, just browse to find it.
Then hit OK, and...it should all be okay.  You will have to run Baldur's Gate through the Compatibility program every time.  Like I said, complicated.

Hope it helps you.  If all of this still does not work, you could also try setting the graphics options to 16-bit color and enable Software Transparent BLT (Bacon Lettuce Tomato?), but that really decreased my framerate when I tried it.

Edit: ERK!  I just realized that the original post was asking for help with BG I.  The same process is applicable, only use the Baldur's Gate I main .exe file.  You won't be able to use the .sdb file I posted, you'll have to create your own database.  For that, click "New," then click "Fix."  For name of program, pick something descriptive.  Vendor is unimportant.  Browse to BG I's main .exe file (don't know the particular name, I don't have BG I installed at the moment) and select that.  Hit Next and select no operating system modes or compatibility modes.  Hit Next, and under compatibility fixes check "ForceDirectDrawEmulation."  Hit Finish and save your database.  Then you can finally "Run" it.  *wipes sweat off forehead*

Edited by Kepster, 18 January 2010 - 07:35 PM.

#7 -Brecht-

-Brecht-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:18 AM

I've already tried the 16-bit thingie with avail but highly decreased rate (only in the menus though ) i have not yet tried the other one ... i'll try it when i return home from work. Thx in advance anyways ;-)

#8 -wow-

-wow-

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:40 AM

wow, I know this post is way old..but this made my Icewind Dale 2 work flawlessly. Thanks soooo much for taking the time to write all that up. That compatibility program is incredibly awesome and I will add it to my bag of tricks.