Photo

A discovery - great leather armour in ToB

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cykuta

Cykuta
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:57 AM

So I've seen the Sarevok romance mod by Aeryn was completed, and decided to give him a shot (great so far!). This has led me to start a new game for ToB only. Made myself a sorceress - high level from the beginning and all that.

Starting a new game for the Throne only is actually quite fun - you don't have the robe of vecna, the ging of gaxx, etc... All the really great items just aren't there, which leads you to using whatever you get, especially in the begining. As is my almost-usual practice, i shadowkept Imoen into a Swashbuckler, since I enjoy her much more that way. When you get her via fate spirit, she has some weak elven chainmail, so I was on the lookout for a better thing. And since you start in ToB with 0 gp, I was also collecting all the stuff that looked valuable.

This is how I looked, actually looked, at an item i have always left lying on the floor so far. While defeating Gromnir, we are faced by a couple of his henchmen too. And one of them (the backstabbing thief, I think) is wearing a leather armour which looks like leather +3 (i think), but silvery-gray instead of brown. It's description is that of a standard, not-magical armour. However, when you put it on, it acts like AC 1, and the character gets haste just like when wearing boots of speed :blink: Is that awesome or what?

Enclosed a screenshot of Haer'dalis wearing it. It blocks spellcasting like any other armour, but Imoen as a swashbuckler gets an ac bonus, so he'll serve better as a display model. He isn't under any spell or effect, he's only wearing the armour, he had +1 dex from the machine so his dex is 18. He's not been modified via SK in any way. Re-loading the game, giving it to other chars, selling and buying does not change anything.
I'm sure it's not part of any mod, I have a patch installed (altough no idea what patch, it was loong time ago :) )

What do you guys think? Did anyone have the same experience? Or is my game beneficially-bugged? :D

Attached Images

• thearmour.jpg

Guess what? I've started a blog! Kitchen Witchcraft : of Magic and Macaroni.

#2 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:24 AM

Ooooh, that armour. It's one of my favourite in the game. My only problem is that surprisingly few people need it. There's loads of boots of speed to be bought/found, and there's a lot of ridiculously over-powered metal armour instead. And I'm still bad enough at Baldur's Gate to need all the help I can get.

Yeah, so it isn't a bug.

#3 Luridel

Luridel
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:19 AM

It doesn't have a description in your game...?

That's strange. It's got one in mine. I seem to recall this same description and item name from earlier (unmodded) games, too, long ago, but I don't have a clean install to test this with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've always stuck this on somebody, usually, as it's pretty good armor.

"If they're not dead, watch out for a bunch of boneless women flopping through the streets."

#4 Cykuta

Cykuta
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:29 AM

Whoa! It was there all this time? Called 'Grandmaster Armour +6"? Hot damn! Might as well called it "You've just GOT to pick this up" :) ...

Anyway, thanks for solving the mystery. Funny thing, finding something new in my 41925829582th run. I suppose the description got lost in translation, as I'm playing the game in my native language... The one i get is the generic "an armour made of leather is a..."

So it seems the topic title is inaccurate, as i've only discovered America in a can. But I'm having tons of fun with it, and so does Immy wearing boots of the gorgon, stoneskinning herself and going rampage on Sendai's thugs :) And i'm soo doing a re-run of my "Fist of the Forest" party, with rangers and druids (Kivan, Beastmaster Minsc :), Valygar, PC, etc.) - they all wear leathers.

As for the discovery, perhaps I should take it to some polish forums and see if other people are lacking the description too.

#5 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

Yes, I seem to remember it missing its decription in one game, due to a mod or something. But it's a nice piece of kit. Crazee's right though - I don't usually need it by that point as I've always got boots of speed for everyone by that point.

#6 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:11 AM

Ooooh, that armour. It's one of my favourite in the game. My only problem is that surprisingly few people need it. There's loads of boots of speed to be bought/found, and there's a lot of ridiculously over-powered metal armour instead. And I'm still bad enough at Baldur's Gate to need all the help I can get.

Yeah, so it isn't a bug.

:mellow: *Loads* of boots of speed? I'm sorry, I could only find them once, since it's just the one pair that has the backstory behind it. I would love it if there were more lying around so I could give them to my other party members. (There's always the wonderful 'boot01' creation technique too! ;P )
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#7 Luridel

Luridel
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:25 PM

There's one pair in Spellhold (15 tokens at the machine in Bodhi's gauntlet), and another pair in Haer'Dalis' quest in the Planar Prison. Then, later on, another pair in ToB (I forget quite where, but it's early on). Also, some mods add encounters in which boots of speed are obtainable (the two I can think of are Xan and Dungeon Crawl).

"If they're not dead, watch out for a bunch of boneless women flopping through the streets."

#8 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:31 PM

Yes, I remember that armour! I noticed it while browsing items with Near Infinity. I thought I had just "missed" it when playing ;-)

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#9 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

Illesara (I think that's how it's spelled - it's been a while) has a pair on her, and you can buy some from the tavern in Saradush, too.

#10 xdeathplanetx

xdeathplanetx
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:43 PM

Posted Image

how that your pg got wings?????

#11 Luridel

Luridel
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:51 PM

1PP's lovely Attachable Wings.

(The color the wings show up as depends on your hair color - so if you want to have wings a different color from your hair, you have to manually switch hair colors, un-equip and re-equip the wings, and change your hair color back every time you reload.)

#12 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:05 AM

You can also buy one at the Inn in Saradush, and iirc, an enemy has one in WK. I have found six pairs before.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#13 Cykuta

Cykuta
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:36 AM

I've just hacked my way through WK yesterday. There aren't any boots of speed there. In a vanilla game, you can get 6 pairs by:
SoA
- getting one in Spellhold, like Luridel says
- getting second in Astral Prison
- killing Renal Bloodscalp after completing his quest, since he's unkillable before and the boots cannot be pickpocketed, but before you side with Bodhi, since he disappears then.

ToB
- from Illasera the Swift
- buy two pairs in Saradush - one at the Inn, the other from the scroll merchant.

However, there are some other nice boots in the game, such as boots of the gorgon (altough they're way to late), elven boots and so on. They're not really groundbreaking, but it's nice to wear something else for a change.

And it seems that we poles have all been depraved of the Grandmaster Armour - the description did get lost in translation.

#14 Kuugen

Kuugen
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

I keep asking myself where i found the boots of lightning speed once. I KNOW i've had them at some point and I didn't CLUA them. But looking through a unmodded game, apparently no creature / map / container gives you these.

#15 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

Nope, just like Phasing.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#16 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:55 AM

I keep asking myself where i found the boots of lightning speed once. I KNOW i've had them at some point and I didn't CLUA them. But looking through a unmodded game, apparently no creature / map / container gives you these.

Do you mean Stormlord's Heels Haste & 50% elec resistance? Then Item Upgrade.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#17 Kuugen

Kuugen
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

Do you mean Stormlord's Heels Haste & 50% elec resistance? Then Item Upgrade.

Obviously not.
Boots of lightning speed ( boot10 ) give double-strenght haste movement speed and leave you unable to attack or cast spells ( basically just running away boots )
You should do a item search before you start to assume things

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

Shadows Over Soubar, at Jill Ann's Fashions. Also added to a random merchant by Aurora's Shoes, which you probably wouldn't have, because the mod is in alpha testing at this point (I didn't know SOS "restored" them too, or Aurora's probably wouldn't have touched them).

Nope, just like Phasing.

These I believe you can get in an unmodded Trademeet, though it's kind of hard to tell with all the nested script/dialogue/creature/area files going on. They aren't just lying around somewhere, I can tell you that much.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#19 Kuugen

Kuugen
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

I'm pretty sure I got the phasing boots every go-through.
Also, I only played SoS once and i ran into SO many bugs that i trashed the whole install and redid it. That was easily 2 or 3 years ago. or even more.
I wonder why there are so many items that virtually never show up in the game. ( there are a couple of weapons you never find, and a few other things that basically NEVER show up. )

#20 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

I wonder why there are so many items that virtually never show up in the game. ( there are a couple of weapons you never find, and a few other things that basically NEVER show up. )

Unfinished business, hence the mods of the same name. They had a deadline to meet and had to get the games to market. UB restores another unused pair of boots (boot09 - "Hastened Departure") and we picked up and restored a few other unused items, like the mirror and box (misc02 and misc03 I think) in Aurora's.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle