• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:12 AM

For some reason, it seems to be hanging between the second-to-last and the last block of d0cowsht.bcs. The "Mage" d0qpcow3.cre gets created, casts Dispel Magic, the two Cowled Wizards appear in the first block. In the next one, they turn to face him, then the first one should initiate a dialogue with the Mage. But that isn't happening, right? I suspect there's some oddness with either the SetCursorState(TRUE) command not terminating properly. It takes away control from the player, so presumably it needs a SetCursorState(FALSE) somewhere. Could also be some oddness with using area variables in creature scripts. But I still don't get this is just suddenly cropping up with multiple players for a mod that's years old. I'm at a bit of a loss what to suggest apart from recoding this as a proper cutscene or something (which no one's going to do). I guess you could start by removing the SetCursorState(TRUE) and recompiling the script. Maybe delete the ClearAllActions() too, since that could possibly be letting the first mage clear all actions for the Cowled who's supposed to be talking to him.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#22 Wardibald

Wardibald
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

Well, I didn't really need help with this. Just Y'ed 'em and asked questions later. When I happened by this thread, I just thought I'd confirm it.

If this pauses even you, maybe the ctrl-Y approach isn't that bad as a recommended solution?
Just saying, I don't think anyone is waiting for these three guys to appear in their game, broken or no.
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae - J. Caesar, De Bello Gallico

#23 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:49 PM

Maybe so, but some folks don't like bugs :D. Plus, you're missing some content there if you do that.

It's a bit hard to replicate unless someone has pretty much exactly the same install though, I'd say. Otherwise, someone could just fire up your saved game and try the stuff I mentioned. Perhaps someone has a similar install they could use though.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#24 Wardibald

Wardibald
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

You're undoubtedly right.

It's probably because there's so much in my game now, I just go over to the next thing if I can't fix it. And I usually can't, but I'm learning.

My expert install is going very well, btw.

I guess tomorrow I can load that savegame and try those things you mentioned. No point in waiting until someone comes around with my setup, I went through quite the chaotic picking spree on what to install.

#25 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

Heya :cheers:

Ummm, if ya want, I could test out your save in the coming 2-3 days :P I'm gonna do a full expert install done and we'll probably have the same WeiDU.log :D

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#26 Wardibald

Wardibald
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:07 AM

Well, as I said, I didn't exactly do a full expert install. I think only SCS and NeJ are expert mods in my game. Maybe a few small things more.

Let me know if my save works for you or not. You are way better equipped to look for what it is that goes wrong, but I can still test with clear instructions if you want.

#27 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

Umm, hi again :P I'll be done installing everything in the next 2-3 hrs :D

NeJ probably doesn't affect the area or those guys, although SCS might do magic on the mages :unsure: Will have a look as soon I get some stuff done tomorrow or something :)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#28 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

Heya there mate :)

I took a look at your save (without editing anything) to check the problem. What I can see are the peasants discussing the 'skinner murders' in the bridge district (they mention the Shadow thieves too). But that's in vanilla too right??

On going a li'l further, outta nowhere, Carbos and Sank started their fight for Bubbles (even though I couldn't see them cause of the fog of war)

And then, immediately after they finished, this red mage came up (methinks he was standing there all along but the view centred on him after the Carbos fight) ... ok, so anyway, he comes up, and says stuff about some Uncle Donnie and how he's kept some hidden fortune, and from the dialogue I think I need a (rather obvious ^_^) Speak With Dead spell. Then immediately after that, he casts Dispel Magic on my (err ... your) party :P and 2 cowlies dimdoor in :D But they don't initiate dialogue so I talk to them. They start the "unsanctioned stuff with magics and energy" or somesuch with the mage :woot: (is this vanilla behaviour?? If this is from some mod, I am thoroughly impressed!! :P) The mage converses with them, and all three of them dimdoor out ...

From the looks of it, this looks like something that makes cowlies respond to NPC mages is conflicting with SCS's mage prebuffing stuff ;)

#29 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

And then, immediately after they finished, this red mage came up (methinks he was standing there all along but the view centred on him after the Carbos fight) ... ok, so anyway, he comes up, and says stuff about some Uncle Donnie and how he's kept some hidden fortune, and from the dialogue I think I need a (rather obvious ^_^) Speak With Dead spell. Then immediately after that, he casts Dispel Magic on my (err ... your) party :P and 2 cowlies dimdoor in :D But they don't initiate dialogue so I talk to them. They start the "unsanctioned stuff with magics and energy" or somesuch with the mage :woot: (is this vanilla behaviour?? If this is from some mod, I am thoroughly impressed!! :P) The mage converses with them, and all three of them dimdoor out ...

I don't know about the entire encounter you listed, but if I am not mistaken, I believe that the Uncle Donnie encounter is from Check the Bodies. Unfortunatly searching seems to be down atm so I can't double check.

#30 -Fennek-

-Fennek-

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

The two cowled wizards who abduct the red wizard are (as the red wizard) from SimDings Questpack, Minor Encounters (as Miloch has more or less mentioned). And several people in the Kerzenburg Forum (all not using an expert installation) have a problem with this encounter and a freezing of the game... Reason unknown, bug in script of original componet maybe, maybe something else (pre-buff?). Needs fixing at least...

#31 Wardibald

Wardibald
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

Seems you didn't get stuck in the cutscene. I'm not sure if those cowlies are supposed to initiate dialogue themselves or not. I never got that far.

If you did a full expert, don't you have SCS too?

#32 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

My WeiDU.log attached here :)

So, yeah, I have SCS too :P Most likely, the mage prebuff's, and then the mod component that brings cowlies to intercept NPCs comes in, that's when the mage (who I think is supposed to stay there) goes into dialogue with them and then dimension doors out with them, leaving the quest unfinished ... another case is, that this is scripted by the quest itself :woot: (but I never played this quest before so I dunno :P)

About the cutscene problem, maybe some expert mod corrects this (or something didn't install right for you. Could you please zip up your BiG World Debug.txt and attach it here?? :))

#33 Wardibald

Wardibald
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

There you go :)

I think what you saw is largely what's supposed to happen with that mage. Not that I would know though :P

Attached Files

#34 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

Same here mate :P Never played (or even got) that quest so I dunno :lol:

Anyway, something fubared during BPSeries installation for you ...
Spoiler
I doubt that's related to the problem though :P Might wanna ask the BPSeries guys (if someone doesn't identify the error here) :)

Does anyone need any scripts and other stuff from my install to compare why Wardibald didn't get a cutscene while I did?? Please point them out :P

PS: I saw Fennek's post just now :P Sorry about that :doh:

So the cowlies are from the quest?? That means he's meant to be cowlie-napped :lol: And so it means that I got the normal sequence for the quest ... So, this is probably some kinda script problem (which like I said, I'd be happy to provide any scripts for comparison :))

#35 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

Sorry for the pos deux, but this is something weird :unsure:

Your WeiDU and Debug.txt show BoneHill and its patch installed perfectly, but in the same Debug.txt, BP-Balancer can't see Bonehill in the WeiDU.log (and so didn't install it's balancing stuff :P) :o

Is Vista preventing WeiDU from snooping into other files??

#36 Wardibald

Wardibald
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:41 AM

Bonehill went just fine actually. I'm not sure what needed to be balanced.

And I would never use Vista :blink:
Who taught you that bad word anyway?

#37 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:40 AM

Bonehill went just fine actually. I'm not sure what needed to be balanced.

No no, the normal BWP installs something called the BP-Balancer to nerf all the imba itamz you get in your travels (make +3 stuff in BGI -> +2 etc ;)) One of the mods it nerfs is BoneHill.

Like I said, Bonehill installed perfectly in your game, but the BP-Balancer somehow wasn't able to see that, and didn't balance it :P

And I would never use Vista :blink:
Who taught you that bad word anyway?

Hope I don't get banned for that :lol: (sorry, got confused between 2 threads :doh:)

Edited by Lollorian, 24 January 2010 - 03:41 AM.

#38 Wardibald

Wardibald
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:30 AM

Well anyway, thanks for looking into that huge debug thing.

I don't remember too many OP items in Bonehill. But then, if I think something is too powerful it just goes into the sell-bag.

#39 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:22 AM

I think you're looking at some mods that likely have nothing to do with this. Bonehill and BP Balancer probably don't. Clearly it concerns D0QuestPack. Someone also mentioned possible interference from one of however many Branwen mods there are, but I don't know if that's a solid lead. I suppose it's remotely possible a scripting mod like SCS or BP could block inter-creature dialogue... kind of doubtful but anything is possible. I still think it could be the inherent stuff I posted above. One way to find out is if you can reproduce the bug and have a save from right before it, just keep reloading the save several times. If it hits the bug every single time then it might be something more than just inherent scripting glitchiness.

Edit: missing words due to forum slowness (I type faster than the pages load, for Crom's sake :blink:)

Edited by Miloch, 24 January 2010 - 11:23 AM.

#40 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

I'm getting the Bridge errors also on my latest install (BWP 8.3 BG2 only). They are two distinct errors.

- The hanging Cowled Cutscene. As described earlier; on approaching the Nameless Wizard, I go into cutscene mode, the Cowls dimension door in, and the scene hangs because it is waiting for dialogue that never occurs. Because there is no actual crash, just a perpetual hanging, nothing shows up in the error log. Annoying, but not as bad as the Temple of Helm crash. You can get around it by CTRL-Y'ing the red mage out of existance, or you can move a party member a good distance away, kick them out of party and quickly initate the scene, so that they will then interupt you mid-cutscene. Then you just walk up and talk to the Cowls and the scene proceeds normally.

- The Temple of Helm crash. Happens immediately on entering the Temple of Helm in the Bridge district. After the loading screen, screen goes black, and bam, CTD. This gives a line in the error log that reads:

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: ObjCreature.cpp
Line: 12381

Exp: creatureSize == 0

Msg: no msg.
Run Debugger?

Someone mentioned here the area was AR0512, so I open it in DLTCEP and it tells me the only actor in the area is a Guardian Vottnar (BHELM is the creature name). So I try command consoling him into existance right there in the Bridge district and curiously, no crash, dialogue is fine, nothing funky. So I try command console teleporting into AR0512, and there's the crash again. I'm not knowledgable enough about these things to speculate as to what could be causing this, so I'll leave that to the experts.

Here is my WeiDu log. As I said, it is a BWP 8.3 BG2-only tactics install, slightly modified to suit my tastes (I turn off stupid-hard crap).
Spoiler

I'm not so much worried about the hanging cutscene as I am the Temple of Helm CTD. If I can help by providing any other information or files, just let me know.
BEGIN BIFFING

ACTION_IF!(FILE_EXISTS ~McFly~) THEN BEGIN
SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING