• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

Someone mentioned here the area was AR0512, so I open it in DLTCEP and it tells me the only actor in the area is a Guardian Vottnar (BHELM is the creature name). So I try command consoling him into existance right there in the Bridge district and curiously, no crash, dialogue is fine, nothing funky. So I try command console teleporting into AR0512, and there's the crash again. I'm not knowledgable enough about these things to speculate as to what could be causing this, so I'll leave that to the experts.

It is a nonexistant creature someone's trying to create, obviously by script if the only actor in the area is fine. Since you seem to know your way around DLTCEP and the console, maybe you can get the bottom to this finally.

Edit the ar0512.bcs script in DLTCEP and look for any CreateCreature references. Try consoling them in one at a time. One of them has to cause a crash, based on the reported data. On my BWP install, there are only about 5 or 10 of these, so it's not like a huge number. When you find the one that crashes, do a 'weidu --change-log file.cre' from the command prompt to see which mod put it in (see the pinned megamod FAQ if you need help with that). Could be something as stupid as a typo (misspelled cre name).

As for the Cowled bug, you could try some things I suggested above if you feel comfortable editing scripts etc. Alternatively, someone could recommend temujin look into it for his QuestPack patch here (doesn't appear to reference this issue).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#42 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:13 AM

Yep, that turned over the culprit. The offending creature was MAURO.cre

Here is the change log.

Attached Files

BEGIN BIFFING

ACTION_IF!(FILE_EXISTS ~McFly~) THEN BEGIN
SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#43 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:10 AM

Yep, that turned over the culprit. The offending creature was MAURO.cre

Here is the change log.

For some reason, the change-log doesn't record which mod actually introduced the creature. It is Mawgul NPC. On my install, the creature exists but it has a couple of stupid flags set. One is "Exportable" which causes issues. Open the CRE in DLTCEP, on the General tab change "Class flags" from 0x800 to 0. The other is its Reaction (same tab) of "PC" - should probably be 0x80 neutral. Try changing that and save it back to your override, then see if it doesn't crash. Obviously someone just quick-converted their PC to make this NPC :(.

If it still doesn't work, attach all the MAURO*.CRE files that ended up in your main BGT folder after doing the last change-log. But I seriously doubt any of those mods hosed this CRE - it looks like it had problems to begin with.

Edit:

- Traducción al inglés-traificación: Lollorian
- Revisión a la programación: White Agnus

I suppose translation and code revision doesn't actually include *testing*? You guys been studying at the Miloch School of Modding or something? :lol:

Edited by Miloch, 25 February 2010 - 03:14 AM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#44 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:25 AM

Also, I did try your suggestions with the scripts, but I hit a snag. I must be doing something wrong, because as soon as a d0cowsht.bcs enters the override, the event no longer triggers. The Nameless Mage is there, but never casts his dispel and I don't get put into cutscene mode. I say "A d0cowsht.bcs" because it does this regardless of any changes I make to the script. I could take the original file, having not touched it at all, copy it into the override, and it would break the event. I tried this a number of times. Then I'd delete it from the override, and it'd be triggering again (albeit with the hanging problem as before). I tried deleteing the cache. Loading a save before the Nameless Mage was created. Hell, Loading a save before I'd even been to the Bridge district altogether. So, something beyond my amateur skills is happening that I don't understand there.

Edited by AndrewB, 25 February 2010 - 03:41 AM.

BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#45 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:38 AM

So, editing the class/reaction flags didn't help. Here are the files.

Attached Files

Edited by AndrewB, 25 February 2010 - 03:39 AM.

BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#46 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:48 AM

Also, I did try your suggestions with the scripts, but I hit a snag. I must be doing something wrong, because as soon as a d0cowsht.bcs enters the override, the event no longer triggers.

When you say "the event" do you mean the buggy behaviour or the expected behaviour doesn't trigger (or both)? You might try using Near Infinity to edit the scripts instead of DLTCEP, because the latter's compiler seems to be buggy sometimes (though it is unquestionably better for editing CREs). Or you can also use WeiDU from a command prompt (weidu d0cowsht.bcs to decompile it to a .baf, edit that in a text editor, weidu d0cowsht.baf to recompile it to .bcs, then copy to your override).

Also, if the CRE editing didn't work, can you attach your edited version as well.

#47 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:11 AM

I mean both the expected behavior and the buggy behavior it eventually leads into. The cutscene as a whole fails to trigger. The Nameless Mage is there, but he does nothing. Just stands around, even when I get close enough to trigger the cutscene. I will try Near Infinity and see if that works.

And here is the modified .cre with the adjustments you told me to make.

Edit: You were right. The not-recognizing-a-script-in-the-override was apparently DLTCEP script editing weirdness. Editing with Near Infinity alleviated it.

Attached Files

Edited by AndrewB, 25 February 2010 - 04:21 AM.

BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#48 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:50 AM

And here is the modified .cre with the adjustments you told me to make.

Great Gruumsh, that was one f-ed up .cre! I mean the original one - the changes I told you to make wouldn't've done it much good (though they needed to be made anyway). It had a bunch of junk where it shouldn't, was missing the innate spell slot - I had to rebuild it from scratch in DLTCEP :crying:. Remind me to ask Nythrun to revise her CRE macros to fix stuff like this, if that's even possible. (And let this be a lesson not to mess with CREs in Near Infinity.)

Did *no one* test this mod, not even its creator? I'm surprised the dialogue works at all. Anyway, I got the crash with the old CRE and the new one joins just fine (albeit with a load of overpowered gear).
mawgul.gif
Here's the new CRE. You'll have to put it in the mod folder and reinstall if you actually want to see his name and bio correctly. But otherwise you can just drop it in the override and prevent the crash anyhow - the dialogue should still work. I guess someone should tell Clan DLAN to update the mod - probably the guy who bothered translating this without testing it (*cough* Lollorian *cough*).

[see new CRE further down]

Edit: You were right. The not-recognizing-a-script-in-the-override was apparently DLTCEP script editing weirdness. Editing with Near Infinity alleviated it.

So do any of the edits help? Like I said, someone should probably rebuild that whole QuestPack cutscene.

Edited by Miloch, 03 March 2010 - 04:01 PM.

#49 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:55 AM

Okay, after editing with Near Infinity, here are the results of your suggestions regarding the hanging Cowled Wizard cutscene. I removed them individually at first- one at a time, and then removing them both together.

Suggestion #1:

I guess you could start by removing the SetCursorState(TRUE) and recompiling the script

This allowed me to retain control of my character while the cutscene played out. It didn't directly fix the cutscene, because the Cowled Wizards still don't initiate dialogue the way they are supposed to, but it did allow me to walk up to the Cowled Wizards and talk to them myself to get them talking.

Suggestion #2:

delete the ClearAllActions() too, since that could possibly be letting the first mage clear all actions for the Cowled who's supposed to be talking to him.

Didn't seem to do anything. No noticable effect.
BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#50 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:01 AM

I guess someone should tell Clan DLAN to update the mod - probably the guy who bothered translating this without testing it (*cough* Lollorian *cough*).

Hey, don't kill the messenger aright?? :D (sheesh, I try to translate just one small NPC - the only NPC I ever did ... and I'm held responsible for not testing ... Man, would you mind telling me since when translating equaled testing?? <_<)

Anyway, reported the fix :cheers: Thanks oh lovable half-drow-ogre :devil:

Edited by Lollorian, 25 February 2010 - 05:12 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#51 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:17 AM

[quote name='AndrewB' date='25 February 2010 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1267102533' post='480161'][quote]Suggestion #2: [quote]delete the ClearAllActions() too, since that could possibly be letting the first mage clear all actions for the Cowled who's supposed to be talking to him.[/quote]Didn't seem to do anything. No noticable effect.[/quote]Well, like I said, that whole scene should probably be rebuilt - it's kind of wacky. Since it's unlikely SimDing0 is gonna materialise to do it anytime soon, maybe someone should go on pocketplane.net and talk temujin into it :D.
[quote name='Lollorian' date='25 February 2010 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1267102864' post='480163']Man, would you mind telling me since when translating equaled testing??[/quote]I dunno, but why bother translating something if you don't even know if it *works*? Like, at all. Anyway, translation should at least include proofing, like this:
[quote]COPY ~MawgulNPC\MauE02.itm~ ~override\MauE02.itm~
SAY NAME1 @28
SAY NAME2 @28
SAY DESC @29

COPY ~MawgulNPC\MauE03.itm~ ~override\MauE03.itm~
SAY NAME1 ~~
SAY NAME2 ~~
SAY DESC ~~

COPY ~MawgulNPC\MauE04.itm~ ~override\MauE04.itm~
SAY NAME1 @31
SAY NAME2 @31
SAY DESC @32[/quote]That item in the middle (some sort of book) gets a blank name and description thanks to that, and apparently a missing @30 and something else in the .tra file. Coulda been in the original mod too, but still... :blink:

#52 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:20 AM

Bingo. Crash averted. I don't really care if I can see his name and bio enough to reinstall it, I just don't want the douche crashing my junk. Curious though that he has no spell slots for a mage. Something a reinstall would take care of, you think?

and he does have some obscene gear. Even for an epic level party.
BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#53 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:36 AM

Curious though that he has no spell slots for a mage.

Oh, I didn't bother fixing that, since he had no memorised spells. But he knows some, so I suppose he should be able to memorise them - here's a fixed version.
Attached File  mauro.cre   2.86K   209 downloads
(Though I did not test this version... why not continue in the great tradition of its creators? :P)

#54 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:50 AM

It appears fine, on the surface at least. Which is all I care about at the moment. Don't need no helmites crampin my style.

Thank you for the assistance btw. You've been a real help.

Edited by AndrewB, 25 February 2010 - 05:58 AM.

BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#55 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:51 AM

Since it's unlikely SimDing0 is gonna materialise to do it anytime soon, maybe someone should go on pocketplane.net and talk temujin into it :D

There :D

Man, would you mind telling me since when translating equaled testing??

I dunno, but why bother translating something if you don't even know if it *works*? Like, at all. Anyway, translation should at least include proofing...

Reasons ...

- it was small
- it was traified
- i was bored
- it was small :P

And I didn't understand WeiDU back then :D (that's like, 6 months ago now :P) And being already traified inherently suggests that the mod is tested and working (which I agree isn't the case here :lol:), don't it?? As in, making it available for other languages??

Edited by Lollorian, 25 February 2010 - 05:51 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#56 -Fennek-

-Fennek-

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

@Miloch: As Lollorian said (or liked to) Aurora causes the bug with the cowled wizards.
Regarding Mauro: I just read all this and the problem is already fixed. Great! We actually knew the problem since weeks (Kerzenburg), but the author of the mod did not respond. Then White Agnus fixed it two or three weeks ago, when he came back for some days, but we never got the fix (and therefore we could not include it into the fixpack...) and nothing changed. Well, my list of bugs at Kerzenburg

http://kerzenburg.ba...ead.php?t=39746

just lost three entries due to you and Temujin... Great.

#57 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:58 PM

@Miloch: As Lollorian said (or liked to) Aurora causes the bug with the cowled wizards.

Eh, he didn't say anything like that in this thread. And if he said it in some other thread, I'd think he'd've posted it somewhere I might've seen it. Like the Aurora forum for example.

(But we'd also be talking about the same guy who said Aurora was causing problems his antivirus program was actually responsible for :P.)

Anyway, if it is true, I'd need a little more info to look at it.

#58 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

Eh, he didn't say anything like that in this thread. And if he said it in some other thread, I'd think he'd've posted it somewhere I might've seen it. Like the Aurora forum for example.

Nah, I didn't say anything like that :P temujin said he fixed the problem in questpack :D (especially since the link is just 2 posts up :rolleyes: ... no ads, just pure PPG :))

Edited by Lollorian, 27 February 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#59 -Fennek-

-Fennek-

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:09 AM

I meant "said (or linked to)"... sorry for the misspelling... and no idea if you send each other PMs (meant with "said") or not...

#60 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

Well, I excluded these cowled buggers from the development version of Aurora, for what that's worth. In the meantime, anyone who runs into this should try the patch in this post though. Or temujin's fix, but I can't download it (let alone look at or test it) because it's on some weird adware site that doesn't allow it on my OS.