Photo

Alignment changes via shoes?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Strikh

Strikh
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

With BiG World installed, there is a svirfneblin chick in Nashkel who sells shoes and boots. One of these pairs of shoes can change alignment...

If I buy those and put them on Viconia or Shar-Teel, for example, what does it really change?

Will the NPC actually act good, and have different dialogues?

Or does it just change what it says under their profile?

Anything else changed?

[EDIT] Would I be better off trying to use Shadowkeeper (I've never used it before...) to change alignments for NPCs (or even my PC)?

Edited by Strikh, 02 January 2010 - 04:53 PM.

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

Those sorts of changes are purely cosmetic, and don't change how an NPC acts or what dialogues will show.

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:06 PM

Those sorts of changes are purely cosmetic, and don't change how an NPC acts or what dialogues will show.

Well, I wouldn't know, but the evil NPC shouldn't leave when your reputation goes up from 18, and the few spells that effect Evil chars, won't for example. Cosmetic, no, but the prewritten dialogs do still stay the same.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

See, I would call that "cosmetic" since it doesn't affect the NPCs' content. I'm just a content ho I guess :D

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:23 AM

But it's not purely cosmetic even so, because alignment changes can affect content. For example, some romances have alignment requirements or restrictions. As do other dialogues offered to you in the game (and in mods I reckon). On a lower level, many items have alignment restrictions. I assume Bookwyrme had a reason like that for making these, as (according to her) there is only one pair of "cosmetic only" shoes in the mod, and it's not these. They are otherwise equivalent to the Helm of Opposite Alignment, only not cursed, meaning you can equip and unequip them as you please, to switch or restore your alignment accordingly. But yes, they are shoes of alignment-changing, not shoes of personality-changing, so it's not like the character will start spouting new lines. Let's face it, that's fairly realistic (not to mention globally changing all NPC dialogue based on alignment would not be feasible to put it lightly). There are plenty of good people in the world that may seem dour or moody and plenty of evil folks who will be quite happy and kind to you (until they slit your throat or whatever).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle