IA bugs and fixes

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

I want to make sure my demons are OK. Correct TP2 is dated 2-8-2010, time 7:52 PM?
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#22 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:16 PM

Somewhere around there - that should be beta4, the latest. (Is this a bug/fix? :blink:)

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#23 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

Somewhere around there - that should be beta4, the latest. (Is this a bug/fix? :blink:)

Neither, but it regarded a bug/fix or was an inquiry into a bug/fix ;) . I was just making sure I didn't leave out added code or something.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#24 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:30 PM

Now I have a bug; a crash to desktop going to AR0603.ARE :angry: FYI, this is a first time crash because I have played through this with no problems before IA.

Changelog =

00000: /* from game biffs */ ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ 0 0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes
00001: /* from game biffs */ ~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ 0 0 // Big Picture AI/Enhancement Mod, version 177 weidu (beta)
00002: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ 0 2020 // Two-Handed Bastard Swords
00003: /* from game biffs */ ~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ 0 9000 // Fix Area Creature References

I am leaning towards bad references and maybe not so much bad creatures that I have to fix? Balls... <_<

EDIT: No script problem as i disabled that and no error message. I have to force close the sucker. I see Ulvaryl for a second and then freeze screen and I see a white mouse cursor.

Edited by Hoppy, 07 April 2010 - 11:48 PM.

- King Diamond

#25 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

Now I have a bug; a crash to desktop going to AR0603.ARE :angry: FYI, this is a first time crash because I have played through this with no problems before IA.

Changelog =
00002: ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ 0 2020 // Two-Handed Bastard Swords...

So what exactly are you --change-log:ing? As an .are file cannot have a Two-Handed Bastard Swords...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#26 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:32 AM

So what exactly are you --change-log:ing? As an .are file cannot have a Two-Handed Bastard Swords...

Well I suppose it could be stashed in a container somewhere, but a change-log isn't going to tell us much in this case. We already know IA changes a whole lotta CREs and the areas they're in.

I'm pretty sure this has to do with starting a saved game before installing IA or playing an IA save game after uninstalling it - same issue as here (same area too, not that that's saying much). Plus, you already said you played through it fine before, so some other factor must've been introduced. If in doubt, then zip and attach your save game (though I may not be able to look at it for a couple days - going out of town).

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#27 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

Well I suppose it could be stashed in a container somewhere, but a change-log isn't going to tell us much in this case. We already know IA changes a whole lotta CREs and the areas they're in.

I'm pretty sure this has to do with starting a saved game before installing IA or playing an IA save game after uninstalling it - same issue as here (same area too, not that that's saying much). Plus, you already said you played through it fine before, so some other factor must've been introduced. If in doubt, then zip and attach your save game (though I may not be able to look at it for a couple days - going out of town).

Even if I started a save game before BG2 transition in BG1 :crying: ? I didn't install any LOW animations to play things safe at least to start and those were a separate component so that shouldn't be the cause. Anything spawned by script is not suspect as I disabled that.

What would I need to look for in the save game file? I can probably check it out as I know my way around the save format a little.

EDIT: I don't think Aurora is causing problems for as I started a fresh game after I installed that. Maybe I will try deleting the areas from my save games >>at least all from BG1 and see if that helps.

Edited by Hoppy, 08 April 2010 - 09:13 AM.

- King Diamond

#28 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

Even if I started a save game before BG2 transition in BG1 :crying: ?

I think it's possible - didn't you read that link? :P The exact same thing happened to the other poster (doesn't matter if it was Aurora instead of IA because they use the same animation code). I think it could be because in BGT all NPCs, even Yoshimo (who has a _LOW animation by default) are stored in saved games even before the BG2 transition. So it's the .gam file not the .sav file. Just a guess though.

I didn't install any LOW animations to play things safe at least to start and those were a separate component so that shouldn't be the cause.

Eh, you don't install them separately but you have to change them to non-LOW animations or the game will crash. Unless you mean the BG1 animations - that's different.

Just start a brand new game and see how it goes then <_<. Feel free to use Dungeon-Be-Gone and Aurora's cutscene abridging component if you don't feel like sitting through all the starting crap yet again.

#29 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

I think it's possible - didn't you read that link? :P The exact same thing happened to the other poster (doesn't matter if it was Aurora instead of IA because they use the same animation code). I think it could be because in BGT all NPCs, even Yoshimo (who has a _LOW animation by default) are stored in saved games even before the BG2 transition. So it's the .gam file not the .sav file. Just a guess though.

I didn't install any LOW animations to play things safe at least to start and those were a separate component so that shouldn't be the cause.

Eh, you don't install them separately but you have to change them to non-LOW animations or the game will crash. Unless you mean the BG1 animations - that's different.

Just start a brand new game and see how it goes then <_<. Feel free to use Dungeon-Be-Gone and Aurora's cutscene abridging component if you don't feel like sitting through all the starting crap yet again.

Maybe I will start a new game but I will never see the light of day as far as my imported stuff and NPC's in the SoA part. It is just not worth it now. I just want to screw around with files and learn something at this point. I have some play throughs to do of RoT with TS-BP's overwriting crap and some preliminary fixes for that so I have plenty to do besides play the game and enjoy it :lol:

Edited by Hoppy, 08 April 2010 - 09:56 AM.

- King Diamond

#30 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

Well, it's far safer to start a new game than to load a save if you modify the game... now, if the problem is in BG2 part of a BGT game, you can always start the game in BG2 (SoA or ToB), as the formally known tutorial starter goes into the SoA part(depending which GUI is installed, the button either says BG2 or Tutorial)...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#31 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

Well, it's far safer to start a new game than to load a save if you modify the game... now, if the problem is in BG2 part of a BGT game, you can always start the game in BG2 (SoA or ToB), as the formally known tutorial starter goes into the SoA part(depending which GUI is installed, the button either says BG2 or Tutorial)...

No new BG1 or BG2 :P ! I fixed my current save :ph34r:. Yoshimo just had some UNKNOWN garbage for his animation. I changed under Non-Party NPC list in the GAM file. I was confused by looking at the actual area and script for him and sometimes I forget to look in that NPC list showing where everyone is.

I'll probably need to do it a lot more for other NPC's (maybe just thieves) but at least I have the knowhow. No more bug reports from me unless it is something totally different :lol:

- King Diamond

#32 -EffinghamHuffnagel-

-EffinghamHuffnagel-

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

Under the category "IA Content 002: IWDII and unused BGII animations", the file I just downloaded - "IA_BGII_IWDII.rar", supposedly updated on 4/8/10, was exactly the same file I downloaded back in 12/09. No changes. Did Erephine upload the wrong file, or did the download link not update?

#33 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

Under the category "IA Content 002: IWDII and unused BGII animations", the file I just downloaded - "IA_BGII_IWDII.rar", supposedly updated on 4/8/10, was exactly the same file I downloaded back in 12/09. No changes. Did Erephine upload the wrong file, or did the download link not update?

Well there's a new file now (as of today) but even that last update should've included the resized bugbears and their sound files. Check to make sure there's some .wav files in the Bugbear subfolders. If not then you've got v1 of that archive (is v3 now I guess, which should have .wav files in most of the subfolders).

I had to update this file the hard way via FTP and such due to its size, so if someone *could* double-check that the sounds are in the latest version, that would be helpful. (Incidentally, it always says the name of whomever first uploaded the file as the "updater" which in this case was actually me, not Erephine.)

#34 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:17 AM

I fixed my current save :ph34r:. Yoshimo just had some UNKNOWN garbage for his animation. I changed under Non-Party NPC list in the GAM file. I was confused by looking at the actual area and script for him and sometimes I forget to look in that NPC list showing where everyone is.

I'll probably need to do it a lot more for other NPC's (maybe just thieves) but at least I have the knowhow.

The only other vanilla NPC affected seems to be Cernd (it is not thieves, but anyone with a _LOW animation). See here (get the 1savedit.rar) for an automated solution to what you did to your save (should work for anyone's saves with/without Aurora and/or IA). I'll include it as a component with future mod versions once I tweak it a bit.

#35 Ikki

Ikki
  • Validating
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:37 AM

Check to make sure there's some .wav files in the Bugbear subfolders

They are inside :D

But the file Belhifet_and_Marilith.zip and Shadows_harpy_frostgiant.zip cannot be extracted with winrar :huh:, i have to use 7zip ( all the other file are fine )

Edited by Ikki, 21 April 2010 - 03:41 AM.

#36 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:08 AM

But the file Belhifet_and_Marilith.zip and Shadows_harpy_frostgiant.zip cannot be extracted with winrar :huh:, i have to use 7zip ( all the other file are fine )

Yes, they are and originally were in .zip not .rar format (so WinZip and probably other extractors would also work). I considered converting them to .rar for consistency during the last updates, but I figured that would throw off automated installers like the BiG World Setup, so I kept all the filenames the same.

#37 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:44 AM

I just stumbled in here since I want to verify that the only thing you have to do to set Windows Codepage to Ansi is changing HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NLS\CodePage\ACP to 1252.
Doing that with the BWS would be a piece of cake and I would like to do so if it was that easy.

Edit: Seems like it's not that easy. System not booting properly after IA-reboot

I also wonder why it should throw of the BWS if you use rar-archives. There are a bunch of them in the installation and IA uses them, too. The BWS uses 7zip to extract these files by building a suitable command. If you are curious, adjust the following example to your needs to see if the BWS can handle the archive:
"YourBiGWorldSetupPath\Tools\7z.exe" e "YourPath\IA_BGII_IWDII.rar" -aoa -o"infinityanimations\content"
If the output does not include the line Everything is Ok, the BWS will complain.
Extracting  [ID2]Orc w Axe Undead
Extracting  [ID2]Worg

Everything is Ok

Folders: 43
Files: 1380
Size:       130723892
Compressed: 130699447
After running that command, I got 1380 files in my folder.
If you already have 7zip, use that so you don't have to load the BWS.
If you want to compress a bit better, you also might consider using 7zip. Using its ulta-setting to compress IA_BGII_IWDII.rar beats your rar-package 126.839.778 to 130.699.447. WinZip and WinRar both support 7z-extraction, and I guess a bunch of other do so, since 7zip is open source.

If you would consider that, wouldn't it be a good point to change the filenames to plain ascii filenames? Seems like that would save some guys a bit of trouble. I remember that you said that the author wanted to stick with the names and I should ask for a change here, so here I am... a bit late though. ;)

Edited by dabus, 15 May 2010 - 01:17 PM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#38 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

Doing that with the BWS would be a piece of cake and I would like to do so if it was that easy.

Edit: Seems like it's not that easy. System not booting properly after IA-reboot

Yes, if you can do it with the BWS before installing any mods, that would be best. That way, IA doesn't need to do it and will skip that change and install properly without rebooting. But I think the BWS would still need to reboot the machine to recognise the correct code page. Not sure why it threw that particular user's system off unless it was off to begin with (the most likely explanation, as we don't do anything besides change that one registry key).

I also wonder why it should throw of the BWS if you use rar-archives.

What exactly is it throwing off? We use maximum compression on .rar files. Maybe we could save a few bytes with .7z, and open source is always better. But changing the filenames would involve changing some code, both in the BWS and IA. Not a major issue either way, but no real need to change unless there's a bug.

If you would consider that, wouldn't it be a good point to change the filenames to plain ascii filenames? Seems like that would save some guys a bit of trouble. I remember that you said that the author wanted to stick with the names and I should ask for a change here, so here I am... a bit late though.

This is a bit different, because it would involve not just changing a bunch of filenames *and* a bunch of code in IA, but the actual .exe patch itself I reckon, which is beyond my understanding. I agree it would be best though, perhaps by using prefixes the same way I've done with the sounds. Hopefully Erephine will read this and say whether it's truly an option or not. I think all methods we might use to solve the non-Western codepage/ANSI issue will be suboptimal, because of renaming/rebooting etc. So using standard ASCII filenames would resolve that.

#39 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

I also wonder why it should throw of the BWS if you use rar-archives.

What exactly is it throwing off?

You used this phrase first, so it's your turn. ;)

I considered converting them to .rar for consistency during the last updates, but I figured that would throw off automated installers like the BiG World Setup, so I kept all the filenames the same.

This sounded like you had some issues/faults using the BWS, so I just explained what happens.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#40 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:01 PM

This sounded like you had some issues/faults using the BWS, so I just explained what happens.

Oh. Well I haven't looked at the code for BWS/BWP batch installation for some time (and might not understand it if I did). But the last time I did, it looked like it was retrieving specific filenames from download links, which would "throw off" the installer if we changed the extensions from .rar or .zip to .7z. But if it simply gets the latest "download" links then it should be ok regardless of filenames (in theory, though I don't know what the archive extractor routine does either, or whether it looks for specific archive names).