Photo

PnP Free Action v2

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Psion

Lord Psion
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:28 PM

MODNOTE: The free action mod can be found in this post further down in the topic.

Hi!,

I don't consider it a bug, I don't know where to open it and sorry if this is the wrong place...

I have seen (in ToB), until now I hadn't seen it, that using the Boots of Speed with some magical item with the propierty of free action movement are not compatible. The free action movement always is the unique propierty that gets the NPC.

I don't know if there is some fix for that or maybe it is as is. I've seen that in a "basic" install of BG2+patches+BG2 fixpack v6... In BGT I don't know if it happens too.

Could it be solved? Is there any mod that makes both propierties "usable" by NPCs?

Thans in advance.

Edited by vilkacis, 02 August 2008 - 04:42 AM.

--- It's not only for me.............. It's for ALL ---

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

I believe the Free Action opcode is hardcoded to restore the creature's movement rate to its default value. So while this cures slowness and anything else that hinders movement, it also cancels anything that boosts it.

I suppose it would be possible in theory to mod the free action spells such so that they use a bunch of other effects other than Free Action to achieve something similar. Someone may have done it already - not sure.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:48 AM

Well the solution for the problem can be done by changing the boots of speed to improve the movement rate by ten, not giving haste to the user, even though it's the same thing, it's different, easier, this has been done in the bp related mods... so. :unsure:

As the Free Action spell gives immunity to the entangle, slow and haste spells, not to the opcodes they themselves use to achieve their effects. ^_^

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 12 July 2008 - 09:52 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

As the Free Action spell gives immunity to the entangle, slow and haste spells, not to the opcodes they themselves use to achieve their effects. ^_^

It gives protection from the opcodes, not specific spells, unless you're saying BP changes this too. Also, the default spell (sppr403) gives protection from opcode 126 (movement modifier) so I'm not sure how what you described is supposed to work, unless it changes that too...

On top of that, the free action opcode is supposed to do this, per the IESDP:

#163 (0x0A3) Protection: Free Action [163]
Parameter #1: Irrelevant
Parameter #2: Irrelevant
Description:
Applies the free action effect to the targeted creature(s), restoring the creature's movement rate to its default value.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Lord Psion

Lord Psion
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

Maybe I am wrong, but...

the boots of speed only give more speed to the movement, this is not the case of the haste effect (or major haste - dunno how it is in english, i am playing in spanish) in which case it gives more speed not only to movement, also to attack speed, spell casting, etc...

Then, we are assuming that the speed movement factor of the boots it's reduced to 0 by an item with free movement attribute. But I think that it only "erases" the free movement property. In which case... could this be considered a bug.... from the original game? Why we can not have free movement with a major speed movement factor from magical items with permanent properties?

Maybe this could be a question to do to BG2 Fixpack... I don't know...

When you are talking about opcodes I am assuming that they are as internal variables in the character. When you are talking about hardcoded (Miloch), I am assuming that it is coded in .EXE file. Is this correct?

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:04 PM

the boots of speed only give more speed to the movement, this is not the case of the haste effect (or major haste - dunno how it is in english, i am playing in spanish) in which case it gives more speed not only to movement, also to attack speed, spell casting, etc...

The boots of speed apply the haste effect (same as the spell) in the unmodded game. Maybe the Fixpack or some other mod changes this, but it shouldn't make a difference to Free Action, because of what I said about it canceling both Haste and movement modifiers.

Then, we are assuming that the speed movement factor of the boots it's reduced to 0 by an item with free movement attribute. But I think that it only "erases" the free movement property. In which case... could this be considered a bug.... from the original game? Why we can not have free movement with a major speed movement factor from magical items with permanent properties?

It restores the movement to the default value, which is 10 or something on a scale of 0 to 20 or so. There was quite a bit of discussion about this in the G3 Fixpack forums... not sure what the result was but I'm sure there were issues with trying to change it.

When you are talking about opcodes I am assuming that they are as internal variables in the character.

No, an opcode is an effect, usually attached to a spell or item. For example, the Boots of Speed apply the Haste (or Movement Modifier) effect/opcode, and the Ring of Free Action applies the Free Action opcode (which cancel each other out).

When you are talking about hardcoded (Miloch), I am assuming that it is coded in .EXE file. Is this correct?

Yes. In this case, there is no way to mod the Free Action opcode, but you could mod everything that currently uses it to use something else, or do it with Movement Modifier instead like Jarno says (though that would still require additional work, because many spells specifically protect against that).

Edited by Miloch, 13 July 2008 - 05:18 AM.

#7 Lord Psion

Lord Psion
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

Mmmm... I am seeing that this is a discussion with no solution... not for the talk, of course... it is for how the game works... ;)

Only 1 thing. When using boots of speed I have not seen any modifications to the speed rate of the attacks or spell casting. When using the spell haste... of course it has the attack/spell casting rates more high. We can see how the description of the boots of speed only makes reference to the movement not to the attack/spell casting rate... maybe here it is where I am wrong...

Resuming:

1- Free action magical items cancel haste and movement effects.
2- As I understood... it is hardcoded. Thus... very little posibility to fix by modding with an easy solution.

Well... thanks a lot for your answers.

#8 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:52 PM

Opcode 176 states it is unaffected by Free Action.

#9 Lord Psion

Lord Psion
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:33 AM

InfExpl 0.85 opcodes....

BOOT01 (Boots of Speed):

Posted Image

RING09 (Ring of Free Action):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I suppouse that the blue marks are the opcodes you are refering... And I am assuming that the hardcoded portion on the .EXE is what which decides to use this opcodes beside the Boots of Speed opcodes.

Could we "erase" this opcodes from the items to make the speed movement of other items effective without losing the rest of abilities of the free action effect? I am assuming that an "Slow" effect (opcode [40]) is not removed...for example.

Could we "erase" the first 2 blue marked opcodes to:

1.- Put the ring.
2.- Put the boots.
3.- The speed movement of the boots is effective and not cancelled by the ring?

Edited by Lord Psion, 13 July 2008 - 01:55 AM.

#10 Lord Psion

Lord Psion
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:05 AM

Sorry for the double-posting... but I preferred to do it as it is more clear...

TESTED:

I've modified (with DLTCEP) the RING09 in 2 situations (and copying to override folder):

A) "Erased" the 4 opcodes marked in blue previously.

In this case, the effects of the ring to cancel the spells that prevent movement are effective and the effect of the boots is effective too... I could go with more speed movement factor in web/grease areas. In this case it is not important in which order you put the ring/boots.

B) "Erased" the 2 first opcodes marked in blue previously.

In this case, the results are the same, but you must put the boots first to get the speed factor movement effective... if not, the ring cancels the boots effect.

I put the links here to test if someone is interested in it:

Link A
Link B

I know that there are more items with free action movement... but this is only my initial tests, and if it is interesting to do some "fix" or "mod" that makes this effective for the whole game... then I could modify the rest of items to act as the RING09.
Is it viable/interesting?

Regards, and thanks.

EDIT:

After searching through items in BG1/BG2 games, this is the list I've found with the magical ability of the free action:

BG1 Original/TotSC Items:

Not modify movement speed although they have the free action effect:

SW2H06 -> Spider's Bane

Exception(s):

FREERING -> It is explicitly described that cancels the boots of speed effect.
RING09 -> It is explicitly described that cancels the boots of speed effect.
SPEC01 -> It is explicitly described that cancels the boots of speed effect.

BG2 SoA/ToB Items:

Modify the movement speed:

BLUN30 -> Flail of Ages +5 (Throne of Bhaal)
FREERING -> Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift' (Identified)**
RING09 -> Ring of Free Action (Description differs from RING09 in BG1?)
ROSSRING -> Ring of Free Action (Identified)**
SPER12 -> Ixil's Spike +6 (Throne of Bhaal)

**NOTE: This item could be used after equipping speed movement item because only offers 'protection', not 'removing' opcodes.

Not modify movement speed opcode although they have the free action effect:

NPPLAT -> Keldorn's Armor
DEMILICH -> Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift' (Identified)
LICH -> Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift' (Identified)
REFLECT -> Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift' (Identified)
SEEINVIS -> Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift' (Identified)
SPEC01 -> Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift' (Identified)
TROLLIMM -> Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift' (Identified)
VAMPREG -> Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift' (Identified)
VAMPREG1 -> Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift' (Identified)
VAMPREG2 -> Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift' (Identified)

After this searching for the items, some questions appeared in my mind:

* Why Keldorn have an Armor that has the free action effect and it does not cancel the boots of speed effect?
* Why the description of RING09 differs in BG1 and BG2, are not the same? In BGT which is maintained (only to know, thanks)?
* FREERING and ROSSRING are player usable?

As my toughts, the objects that could be considered to modify de opcodes for the movement speed effect are the BLUN30 and the SPER12, letting apart the RING09 issue that involves his description in BG games series and the last question.

EDIT2:

Here they are modded without the opcodes that affect the movement speed (the same as RING09-A) for testing if anyone wants:

BLUN30.ITM
SPER12.ITM

Again... is it interesting to do?

Edited by Lord Psion, 13 July 2008 - 05:06 AM.

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:11 AM

Only 1 thing. When using boots of speed I have not seen any modifications to the speed rate of the attacks or spell casting. When using the spell haste... of course it has the attack/spell casting rates more high.

Right. The Haste opcode (#16) has 3 values - 0 for normal haste, 1 for improved haste and 2 for speed haste without attack bonuses, which is what the boots have.

Why Keldorn have an Armor that has the free action effect and it does not cancel the boots of speed effect?

Keldorn's armour does not actually have the Free Action effect, but a bunch of other effects that simulate it (protection from web, entangle, etc.). And this is probably what you would want to mimic for other "free action" items. Or you could go the other way as suggested, and use opcode #176 for a movement modifier that is not affected by Free Action (changing items that have opcode #126 to 176). Or do both, for overkill :D.

is interesting to do some "fix" or "mod" that makes this effective for the whole game.

The PnP Free Action spell does not say it limits Haste, so yes, this is interesting without being too much of a cheat I think. I'm just not sure if it's already been done. It could be in one or more of the BP mods, as Jarno says, but maybe some people want a tweak without having to install those mods. It should be done with WeiDU patching though, rather than overwriting existing items and spells.

Edit:

Why the description of RING09 differs in BG1 and BG2, are not the same? In BGT which is maintained (only to know, thanks)?

BGT has the BG2 description (immune to everything affecting mobility, including haste and slow)

FREERING and ROSSRING are player usable?

Freering is not movable; rossring is, but I don't think rossring is used.

Edited by Miloch, 13 July 2008 - 05:17 AM.

#12 Lord Psion

Lord Psion
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:06 AM

Or you could go the other way as suggested, and use opcode #176 for a movement modifier that is not affected by Free Action (changing items that have opcode #126 to 176). Or do both, for overkill :D .

Mmmm... this could be more interesting than modifiying the items with free action. Although, when we are referring to the opcode #126 of the movement factor always get involved and opcode for the Graphical Display Icon #38. This could cause some 'mistake' because we have the effect but "visually" it is not referenced.... Thus we had a boots of speed with a high movement factor without his Graphical Display Icon because it is deleted by Free Action magical items. Is there an opcode for the #176 that simulates the Graphical Display Icon of #126 (#38)?

The PnP Free Action spell does not say it limits Haste, so yes, this is interesting without being too much of a cheat I think. I'm just not sure if it's already been done. It could be in one or more of the BP mods, as Jarno says, but maybe some people want a tweak without having to install those mods. It should be done with WeiDU patching though, rather than overwriting existing items and spells.

This is the reason for what I thought that it could be interesting to do. :D
Although, the part of "WeiDU patching" it is where I am aware off.

BGT has the BG2 description (immune to everything affecting mobility, including haste and slow)

FREERING and ROSSRING are player usable?

Freering is not movable; rossring is, but I don't think rossring is used.

For the first part.... mmmmm... Is it immune to the speed movement factor? Then we could consider not to modify RING09 because it has the correct effect because of his description and only should be modified BLUN30 and SPER12 because I am assuming that they don't modify the speed movement factor.
For the last part... I will forget about modding FREERING and ROSSRING. ^_^

Thanks a lot for your answers and patience Miloch.... :)

EDIT: grammar errors

Edited by Lord Psion, 13 July 2008 - 06:08 AM.

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:25 AM

Although, when we are referring to the opcode #126 of the movement factor always get involved and opcode for the Graphical Display Icon #38. This could cause some 'mistake' because we have the effect but "visually" it is not referenced.... Thus we had a boots of speed with a high movement factor without his Graphical Display Icon because it is deleted by Free Action magical items. Is there an opcode for the #176 that simulates the Graphical Display Icon of #126 (#38)?

Hmm, well the icon should be non-dispellable when the boots are worn, but maybe not. There is 110 (improved haste) which doesn't look like it's removed by free action.

Although, the part of "WeiDU patching" it is where I am aware off.

I can look at this maybe, since I dealt with code that does similar things already in p5tweaks.

For the first part.... mmmmm... Is it immune to the speed movement factor?

It would cancel opcode #126 but not #176. I think if you're giving a benefit to the party then it's only fair to give it to enemies too <_<.

Then we could consider not to modify RING09 because it has the correct effect because of his description and only should be modified BLUN30 and SPER12 because I am assuming that they don't modify the speed movement factor. For the last part... I will forget about modding FREERING and ROSSRING. ^_^

Well, if you go the other route and modify items/spells with Haste and Movement Modifier #126 to #176 then I guess you don't have to change items and spells with Free Action...

Edit: Well you would probably want to update descriptions, which might be tricky, since they're language dependent. But it would probably just be a matter of retranslating a few descriptions.

Incidentally, the PnP Ring of Free Action says nothing about being immune to haste either - just gives free movement when attacked by web, hold, slow, which have no effect, or while underwater.

Edited by Miloch, 13 July 2008 - 06:32 AM.

#14 Lord Psion

Lord Psion
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hmm, well the icon should be non-dispellable when the boots are worn, but maybe not. There is 110 (improved haste) which doesn't look like it's removed by free action.

Right. It is non-dispellable, but because of the #240 opcode of the ring (and other Free Action items) it is removed.

I can look at this maybe, since I dealt with code that does similar things already in p5tweaks.

So, if we use the #176 opcode and the #110 for the Display Icon opcode in the Boots of Speed, then, only it is needed byte modifiying the boot01.itm. I don't remember of more magical items that have this movement factor rate increment right now. Searching in the list of items that I have not seen anything special.

Well, if you go the other route and modify items/spells with Haste and Movement Modifier #126 to #176 then I guess you don't have to change items and spells with Free Action...

Ok. Here they are, the boots of speed with opcode #176 and with opcode #110 for the Display Icon:

BOOT01.ITM

I've tested them with the ring, and other Free action items and it seems to work very well. One thing I've observed, although I may be wrong, is that the haste/improved haste effects aren't added. It is, with the boots of speed, we cast improved haste and the player has improved haste effect but it is not added to haste. If I don't remember well, using haste and casting improved haste before the modification the effects were added. So, his speed movement factor was... sumarized?

Edit: Well you would probably want to update descriptions, which might be tricky, since they're language dependent. But it would probably just be a matter of retranslating a few descriptions.

Incidentally, the PnP Ring of Free Action says nothing about being immune to haste either - just gives free movement when attacked by web, hold, slow, which have no effect, or while underwater.

Maybe the modification of the descriptions is not necessary to change if we are modifying only the Boots of Speed... Although I consider, as per PnP, that the ring, in this case, it's different from the BG.

Underwater? This applies to Baldur's Gate? :wacko: ...

#15 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

I don't remember of more magical items that have this movement factor rate increment right now. Searching in the list of items that I have not seen anything special.

Ok, I'll see if I can write a patch for it. I'll also scan for more items, like mod added ones, etc.

One thing I've observed, although I may be wrong, is that the haste/improved haste effects aren't added. It is, with the boots of speed, we cast improved haste and the player has improved haste effect but it is not added to haste. If I don't remember well, using haste and casting improved haste before the modification the effects were added. So, his speed movement factor was... sumarized?

Do you mean Haste can't be cast on someone with the Boots or with the Ring? There is a maximum limit to the movement rate, if that's what you mean...

Underwater? This applies to Baldur's Gate? :wacko: ...

No, I don't think so, that's just what's in the PnP description.

#16 Lord Psion

Lord Psion
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:23 AM

Ok, I'll see if I can write a patch for it. I'll also scan for more items, like mod added ones, etc.

Well, the intention of the question was only for the BG games/BGT (or maybe TuTu, although I've never played it). Somehow a patch/fix/tweak for them. Although if it could be done in the rest of magical items on other mods, your welcome. This method works, so, we or modders have a "solution" to apply it in his mods.

One thing I've observed, although I may be wrong, is that the haste/improved haste effects aren't added. It is, with the boots of speed, we cast improved haste and the player has improved haste effect but it is not added to haste. If I don't remember well, using haste and casting improved haste before the modification the effects were added. So, his speed movement factor was... sumarized?

Do you mean Haste can't be cast on someone with the Boots or with the Ring? There is a maximum limit to the movement rate, if that's what you mean...

No, no. The spells can be casted on the PC/NPCs this is not a problem. What I have seen (with more testing in-game) using opcode #176 is:

1. To make usable the boots with a magical item with Free Action, the boots must be put on AFTER the magical item. If not, there is no effect on the speed movement factor. In this case, I think that the opcode #126 (the second blue mark) in magical items with free action, is modifying that to left by default the speed movement factor. This happens at least with RING09 and BLUN30 (tested). I assume it is the same for SPER12. If we cast Haste/Improved Haste on the PC/NPC, it has ALWAYS the same speed that are offering the Boots of Speed (BOOT01.itm).**

2.- If we put the boots BEFORE a magical item with Free Action, any Haste/Improved Haste spell launched has NO effect. The player walks in his default speed movement factor. I think that this is because of the opcode #101 (third blue mark) that prevents to modify opcode #126 EDIT:(although we are using an #176 opcode, I don't know why).**

**So, in this cases, as per description of RING09, we can agree with this, although in the case 2, the speed movement factor may/should be increased by the boots itself.

And for SPER12 and BLUN30, we could consider that this is not the form that an object must use his ability of Free Action as per PnP Free Action description, right?

3.- If we put on the boots WITHOUT a magical item with Free Action, the effect of Haste/Improved Haste is the same like the original boots, this has no change (EDIT: It is modified and the spells effects are applyied).

Edited by Lord Psion, 14 July 2008 - 01:30 AM.

#17 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:59 AM

Ok, I think I know how to solve this so you can wear the items in either order without penalty. It will take some nasty patching due to the way the game and the Fixpack apply repetitive effects, but I've written about half of it already on the Free Action side. Now I just have to address the items with Haste/movement modifiers on the other side.

It will have to be tested of course :blink:. But I'll post something here when it's ready.

Incidentally, the descriptions that say Haste is canceled by Free Action appear to be solely a product of the Baldurdash/Fixpack Game Text Update. They aren't there if you don't have that, as far as I can tell. Furthermore, the Fixpack specifically adds some Haste cancellation effects to Free Action items that don't have them. Why exactly, I don't know. I guess it was one of those "developers must have intended that" or "consistency" decisions. From looking at it, it's not at all clear to me what they intended and it's definitely not consistent (but in any case, this is a tweak not a fix, so who cares what they intended :)).

#18 Lord Psion

Lord Psion
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

Ok, I think I know how to solve this so you can wear the items in either order without penalty. It will take some nasty patching due to the way the game and the Fixpack apply repetitive effects, but I've written about half of it already on the Free Action side. Now I just have to address the items with Haste/movement modifiers on the other side.

This are good news. Although I imagine that this must be done by scripting...

It will have to be tested of course :blink: . But I'll post something here when it's ready.

Ok. :)

Incidentally, the descriptions that say Haste is canceled by Free Action appear to be solely a product of the Baldurdash/Fixpack Game Text Update. They aren't there if you don't have that, as far as I can tell. Furthermore, the Fixpack specifically adds some Haste cancellation effects to Free Action items that don't have them. Why exactly, I don't know. I guess it was one of those "developers must have intended that" or "consistency" decisions. From looking at it, it's not at all clear to me what they intended and it's definitely not consistent (but in any case, this is a tweak not a fix, so who cares what they intended :) ).

I don't know to what items are you referring. In the case of the RING09, I have installed (a backup copy) BG2 + ToB + Original Bioware Patch (without mods nor Fixpack) and in the description for RING09 it says (at least in the spanish version) that cancels Haste and Slow. In the description of BLUN30 and SPER12 does not say nothing about cancel this effects. I don't know if you were referring to that.

Although, if we want to be consistent with P&P descriptions, we can "tweak" :D that to be as te originals, like to give to RING09 the correct effects and correct descriptions.

EDIT: Are you going to modify BG2 Fixpack? I've seen that there are a lot of changes in the Fixpack that modify RING09, BLUN30, SPER12 (and the potion and spell) for this issue.

Edited by Lord Psion, 14 July 2008 - 07:51 AM.

#19 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:07 PM

This are good news. Although I imagine that this must be done by scripting...

No, not scripting fortunately, just a lot of patching.

In the case of the RING09, I have installed (a backup copy) BG2 + ToB + Original Bioware Patch (without mods nor Fixpack) and in the description for RING09 it says (at least in the spanish version) that cancels Haste and Slow.

Yes, you are right, I must've been looking at the differences between BG1 and BG2 you already noticed. Baldurdash/Fixpack only adds the unnecessary "Not Usable By: Wizard Slayer" to the ring, and an extra sentence to the Free Action spell, which is appropriate. I've bolded what the Game Text Update has added.
#7360 in BG2 (ring09.itm)

Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift'
This ring was given to the reef scavenger and hunter known only as Edventar by a group of aquatic elves long his friends. His help in routing the "Pirate Queen" Yenandra of Dambrath was instrumental in their survival, though Yenandra continues to be feared anywhere the water meets land.

STATISTICS:

Special: The wearer is immune to everything, magical and otherwise, that affects mobility in any way, including haste and slow spells.
Not Usable By:
Wizard Slayer

#17645 (sppr403.spl)

Free Action (Abjuration)
Level: 4
Sphere: Charm
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 turn + 1 round/level
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: Creature touched
Saving Throw: None

While under the effects of this spell, the recipient becomes immune to anything that limits his or her movement, such as the effects of web, hold person, grease and entangle. Any such effects will be removed from the recipient as well.

Although, if we want to be consistent with P&P descriptions, we can "tweak" :D that to be as te originals, like to give to RING09 the correct effects and correct descriptions.

This is what I came up with. It will need to be translated of course, if someone wants to install on a different language.
New sppr403.spl:

Free Action (Abjuration)

While under the effects of this spell, the recipient becomes immune to anything that limits his or her movement, such as the effects of Web, Hold Person, Grease, Entangle and Slow spells. Any such effects will be removed from the recipient as well. Free Action also negates and prevents the effects of paralysis and stunning. Upon casting, the spell will cancel the effects of a Haste spell, by returning the target's movement rate to normal. However, it does not prevent subsequent Haste effects during its duration, nor does it negate the effects of items granting magical speed bonuses.

I think I would leave the Haste cancellation on the Free Action spell, because it's the only thing now that will do this (apart from Slow) and could be useful. Also, it's not that much of a hindrance since it will not prevent Haste later on.

New ring09.itm:

Ring of Free Action: "Edventar's Gift"
This ring was given to the reef scavenger and hunter known only as Edventar by a group of aquatic elves long his friends. His help in routing the "Pirate Queen" Yenandra of Dambrath was instrumental in their survival, though Yenandra continues to be feared anywhere the water meets land.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Ability: The wearer is immune to everything, magical and otherwise, that limits mobility in any way, including Web, Hold Person, Grease, Entangle, Slow, stunning and paralysis.

The item (and similar items with Free Action) will not cancel or prevent Haste or speed items, so no need to mention that.

EDIT: Are you going to modify BG2 Fixpack? I've seen that there are a lot of changes in the Fixpack that modify RING09, BLUN30, SPER12 (and the potion and spell) for this issue.

Well, not the Fixpack itself (though some of this is almost a fix in my opinion), but I have to revert or revise a lot of effects it adds. You should be able to install this with or without the Fixpack though and have the same effect, once I'm done with it.

#20 Lord Psion

Lord Psion
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:59 AM

Ring of Free Action: 'Edventar's Gift'

STATISTICS:

Special: The wearer is immune to everything, magical and otherwise, that affects mobility in any way, including haste and slow spells.
Not Usable By:
Wizard Slayer

This Not Usability Is a PnP rule too?... Sorry I don't know about the rules at all.

#17645 (sppr403.spl)

Free Action (Abjuration)

While under the effects of this spell, the recipient becomes immune to anything that limits his or her movement, such as the effects of web, hold person, grease and entangle. Any such effects will be removed from the recipient as well.

This is what I came up with. It will need to be translated of course, if someone wants to install on a different language.

I marked "limits" because it is not the same as "improves". Could we consider Haste/Improved Haste a limitation?. I haven't seen this before. Only to think about it.

About the translation of the descriptions, I think that for now this is the only thing in what I could help (at least to spanish). ;)

New sppr403.spl:

Free Action (Abjuration)

While under the effects of this spell, the recipient becomes immune to anything that limits his or her movement, such as the effects of Web, Hold Person, Grease, Entangle and Slow spells. Any such effects will be removed from the recipient as well. Free Action also negates and prevents the effects of paralysis and stunning. Upon casting, the spell will cancel the effects of a Haste spell, by returning the target's movement rate to normal. However, it does not prevent subsequent Haste effects during its duration, nor does it negate the effects of items granting magical speed bonuses.

I think I would leave the Haste cancellation on the Free Action spell, because it's the only thing now that will do this (apart from Slow) and could be useful. Also, it's not that much of a hindrance since it will not prevent Haste later on.

I agree with that, although, who wants to cancel a Haste/Improved Haste ability? :lol:
EDIT: Although thinking about it, it is interesting to do so, but rather than canceling Haste/IH, not canceling the speed movement factor.

New ring09.itm:

Ring of Free Action: "Edventar's Gift"

STATISTICS:

Equipped Ability: The wearer is immune to everything, magical and otherwise, that limits mobility in any way, including Web, Hold Person, Grease, Entangle, Slow, stunning and paralysis.

The item (and similar items with Free Action) will not cancel or prevent Haste or speed items, so no need to mention that.

Again I agree to not to mention as per PnP rules. It is a very good idea to add stunning & paralysis. Before I don't know what to use to prevent (at least in BG1) stun. And the Free Action ring (or other items with the ability) do that. :D

Maybe it is interesting to add the description of this Equpped Ability to other items with Free Action like BLUN30 and SPER12.

Well, not the Fixpack itself (though some of this is almost a fix in my opinion), but I have to revert or revise a lot of effects it adds. You should be able to install this with or without the Fixpack though and have the same effect, once I'm done with it.

I suppouse that it should be installed AFTER Fixpack, although I don't know about the alchemy of WeiDU and it could be done in any moment.

Well, as I've said before, and couldn't help to you more, the only thing that remains to me is to translate the .TRA file for the objects descriptions when it is done (and test).

Thanks a lot, Miloch. Regards.

Edited by Lord Psion, 15 July 2008 - 02:38 AM.