Photo

BWP - SCARY amount of errors during installation

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

...well, yes, I must've failed :unsure: (...like forgetting to remove CD from one drive. I am not *SURE* it made things better, as the installation is running, but I'm giving it a try [and going to sleep]. Still, please do take a look at this post, in case I was wrong and problem lied elsewhere (would be too good to be true if it was only a CD, wouldn't it?).
And for the future must also remember to move all tp2 files to main folder too as they stop installation if placed in their default locations...

I felt the need to play some BG2, even if only at nights due to the lack of time (4 AM here now, could be an example...) and of course I came back to the BWP. Since I don't want to go through BG1 I was thrilled to see the version for BG2 only and picked it (in hopes to have much smaller installation, smaller files, override and whatnot and avoid the stutter bug).

This time, I've done some reading on big mods and decided to only use Check the Bodies (meaning I skipped NEJ, SoS, TS, TDD, BGT, all that huge things I've installed last time). By the way, is Check the Bodies a good choice? I don't want some huge quest that will take me away from the actual game, break everything I've been doing and unbalance further game as I will come back with über developed party and whatnot <_<

So yes, I've downloaded all the newer mods, new WeiDu, read through the new PDF, avoided all mods that have been greyed out, limited NPC mods as I never take them anyway and just have one banter/test the romance... I've tried to be economical and do it right.

What I got in return? ERRORS :crying: So many errors! I've watched the installation go on for a while and when they begun I caught some screenshots. I've stopped it soon after as, I mean it, even "Rest Anywhere" didn't install. I doubt my WeiDU log would tell you anything at all.

The links below are the links to the screenshots with random errors - I don't know if they will be any indication, but maybe they scream "YOU FOOL WHAT HAVE YOU DONE UNDO IT" and I just don't see it?

http://i50.tinypic.com/al2lxs.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/25rnssj.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2d9siab.jpg

I've read somewhere that the installation of BG2 standalone is not officially supported (or I misread it somewhere, happens as well), but nonetheless I would appreciate any help. I considered doing it "by hand" as there's just CTB and BP there, but the Fixpack scared me of that idea. And I bet I'd do something wrong too, even while following the PDF.

I feel like such a n00b, and it's something like 3rd or 4th time I'm installing with BWP (and version by version it looks more professional! I loved all the questions at the beginning about AI, armors and such :lol: )

Additionaly, as I cannot provide the WeiDU.log, I'm giving another screenshot of the mods I've tried to install (if someone by any chance spots something adding Thunderblasters +10 for 100gp do tell me! I want no more Exnem Vault-style items allowing me to solo all tactical mods with my lame char).
http://i45.tinypic.com/9pufq0.jpg

The game is also patched with that ToB patch ending with 8 not 9 as it was told somewhere to be done.

-:-

On another note - should I be lucky and someone with information bothered to reply - PDF file says that BG2Tweaks component of multi-class grandmastery is incompatible with Refinements - I really like that one. I've seen also that BG1 NPC does a similar trick, but would it affect my PC? And is it even active in the installation?

I've only modified two mods in the .bat file - maybe that made it go wrong? Or shouldn't it?

Aurora - changed the components to increase store prices but remove other penalties, I doubt this could do anything bad.
BG2Tweaks - added (in places that seemed appropriate, ibetween other components of smaller and bigger numbers, in the lines invluding the sk part instead of a name of some other mod):
10 - remove helmet animation
2150 - pnp restirctions for protection items
2200 - the one with weapon profs...
3000 - always max HP on level up
3010 - for all creatures in game

And I've also had another bug, now I remember (gods, sorry for such a long and chaotic post, I am!) - when running installation.bat it told me I have something wrong with the paths, and should install at my own risk. Well I opened that file and changed all C:\ to F:\ (a drive where my BGII - SoA is located). I thought that warning disappeared because it was good, but it didn't. It appears once then doesn't one. Another run it is, and then it's gone. No idea what the hell is going on.

In case it mattered (and I really don't know what does, just trying to spare you asking questions) - I'm running Windows 7 (disabled the "do you want to allow this program to make changes" or whatever popup, had my Avast! deactivated too.

Some other thing that *could* be an indicator - in a Smoothpack the _modify folder is empty. I was supposed to modify something in the file the about Stuff of the Magi (I want them equipped? Was that it at all?) but I didn't have where.

I've also picked the Expert installation, I've tried to pick the mods carefully enough and read all the PDF warnings (well I DID pick 200 of them and ended up with 100, right?), I didn't want to have the installation too limited. But I still don't think this alone would bombard me with alllll these errors (honestly, I could only catch a few screenshots but I could easily make it a veeeeeeeeeery long picture should I catch them all!

Oh well, I hope one day I'll be able to answer someone else's rant (I do visit here quite often even when I don't play just to see if I could return some good karma as you guys have already helped me heaps in the past).

Thank you all for your wonderful and stunning work around here, I wouldn't be surprised if I were playing BWP 20 years from now. Long live Baldur's Gate and its fandom! :hug:

Edited by Calliea, 21 February 2010 - 07:40 PM.

Without love there?s no happily ever after. Not even once upon a time.

The avatar is made from a picture by amazing NorthernBanshee. http://www.northernb....deviantart.com

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

I've read somewhere that the installation of BG2 standalone is not officially supported (or I misread it somewhere, happens as well), but nonetheless I would appreciate any help.

I would have to guess this is the problem - you're trying to run BGT but don't have BG1 or something?

Additionaly, as I cannot provide the WeiDU.log

Eh, why not? Kinda hard to tell what's going on otherwise.

Aurora - changed the components to increase store prices but remove other penalties, I doubt this could do anything bad.

Not sure what you mean by "remove other penalties" but as those components are optional, it shouldn't matter what you do with them.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:22 PM

Holy ...!! :ermm: All of those .bif errors, all of them related to CtB ... You should really attach your WeiDU.log and a compressed (:)) BiG World Debug.txt over here.

And now, the routine-answer-machine-type-list-o-questions:

1) Did you do a clean install before you started??
2) Did you interrupt the install.bat after it started?? (closing the console/power off/lightning surge/chicken eggs ...)
3) Did you change stuff in the install.bat before you started?? :P (in which case, it'd be great if you could attach your install.bat as well ... as a .txt :P)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#4 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:15 AM

...actually it DOES seem that the CD was guilty of most errors, but since I've slept through the installation I can't really say if it all went exactly as it should have :doh:

Anyway, thank you for your replies! To answer the questions:

"I would have to guess this is the problem - you're trying to run BGT but don't have BG1 or something?"

I do have a clean BG1 install, in fact. I just don't want to use it. No BGT this time :rolleyes:

"Eh, why not? Kinda hard to tell what's going on otherwise."

As I said - I've cut the installation short after seeing so many errors. There was hardly anything in the log :)

"Not sure what you mean by "remove other penalties" but as those components are optional, it shouldn't matter what you do with them."

Aah, sorry for the confusion. Yes, just modified the components...

@Lollorian

1) Sure.
2) Yes, thanks to Microsoft and their pissing off protections one thing popped up and stopped it with some poor patch window open. I removed the feature, then restored a backup, then run it again, got errors, restored a backup (manual, just the 6 files/folders from another location) and then tried to install again.
3) Yes, but only those I've mentioned above :)

"Holy ...!! :ermm: All of those .bif errors, all of them related to CtB ... You should really attach your WeiDU.log and a compressed (:)) BiG World Debug.txt over here."

Naa, they weren't just about CtB, it was spitting errors about majority of mods it's been trying to install. Anyway, I won't bother you now with my logs and debugs - well at least I HAVE one now so in case something went wrong again I'll have materials to post (and knowing Murphy's laws the game won't even run and I'll just run back to edit this post in a few minutes... :lol: )

Once again - thank you for your answers!

EDIT:

Murphy's always right. Here I am again and bring thee my weidu.log.

Problem: First cutscene doesn't start (Irenicus one). I've no "short cutscenes" installed or anything. I get the "party has gained 120 gold", see my PC in a cage and that's it - an error message appears in the background.

Not sure how it should be in this version of BWP but I still have to use CD - I remember it used to use some no CD crack before.

I've tried to attach the debug file as well, as you said, but it was too big...
http://www.2shared.c...orld_Debug.html it's here.

Uch :crying:

Attached Files

Edited by Calliea, 22 February 2010 - 02:30 AM.

The avatar is made from a picture by amazing NorthernBanshee. http://www.northernb....deviantart.com

#5 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:39 AM

I've tried to attach the debug file as well, as you said, but it was too big...

That's why we compress it :) (you'll be shocked at how small it gets :D)

Oh ... and IA's core component didn't install for some reason. So, you'll be getting crashes in some areas :( Reinstall?? :P

Edited by Lollorian, 22 February 2010 - 02:41 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#6 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

I've installed that Aurora patch I've found in some topic here, just moments ago - well it doesn't CRASH anymore, and the character falls down. The only problem is there's no Irenicus anywhere to be seen so it's stuck and she just stands there :mellow: I'm afraid all the installation could've gone wrong if I'm already having such problems.

Anyway! Compressed it is (hope I picked the right file):

Attached Files

#7 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:50 AM

Err... Any idea why you're using the BWP 8.1 fixpack?? :unsure:

It contains a WeiDU 18500 which overwrites all the other mods (the newest is WeiDU 21300) ... so anythimg that uses stuff from the newer WeiDU won't install/work (in this, many many mods :()

Edited by Lollorian, 22 February 2010 - 02:51 AM.

#8 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:58 AM

I've downloaded everything BiG World fresh, but yes, I did indeed have an old WeiDU version - luckily for me it just kept opening some weirdo console and asking me questions I didn't understand and I found somewhere on the net that it could've been caused by old version and so I replaced it with a new one... Should still be fine. I restored backup after the failure of installation too, so everything was done using the new one... :o

OH WAIT, isn't this the moment where Check the Bodies Chores should run? Maybe the issue is somewhere there? :ph34r:

Edited by Calliea, 22 February 2010 - 02:59 AM.

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

Oh ... and IA's core component didn't install for some reason. So, you'll be getting crashes in some areas :( Reinstall?? :P

It is true, but she needn't reinstall since she hasn't installed biffing (yet). Just uninstall the IA components, or preferably download all the required content and install it correctly (so that the main component installs).

So start by uninstalling these:

~SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #210 // Cambion/Isair Animation -> All cambions: Beta 4
~SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #260 // Alu-Fiend/Madae Animation -> All alu-fiends: Beta 4
~SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #490 // Svirfneblin Animations -> Animations and sounds: Beta 4

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#10 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

/* Edit

@Miloch and Lollorian - feel free to skip this post and save your time, should you enter this topic again. There's no new questions about errors as I was struggling with installing fresh ToB alone. I'll error-spam you later on when I get to the actual mod problems.

*/

Holy mother of frustration!

I had to uninstall the game cause it was giving me some wierd error and I thought I'll just do a fresh backup on the way and all and VOILA! Now ToB won't install! Gives me some "launching setup" error, installed from another CD and copied data from another installation (on another computer) and it gives me a "-1" message each time I try to run it. Have I not loved this game so much I swear I'd break all the CDs in half and chew on them right now!

But that isn't anything mod related. Generally I needed to spill some poison. Sorry for that. And thank you for that reply, Miloch, IF/WHEN I managed to get this thing running I'll use it and say how it went, but honestly, first 7z, then mods, now the game itself! I'm begging to consider moving back to Windows XP as it installed there right on another PC so it's not a matter of my CD (which is half-dead but still just half).

Erh, thanks again, guys. I appreciate your help very much :hug:

EDIT: Okay. I *think* it's okay now... Fur future reference to anyone who might encounter such a bug (I hate finding topics where someone reports a problem I have, then says "nevermind I solved it! :D" and disappears and I'm at loss of solution still :angry:)

: Windows 7 for some reason refused to read my ToB CD, it's pretty roughen up (dots all over the place, I have some wacky copy but it was made post-dotted, still allows to play the game though and heck, even installs on NORMAL computers [even Vista on laptop ate it. Win 7 swallowed it once and then refused to do so). I've installed a Polish version of ToB on top of the English SoA installation, then installed a proper ToB on Vista laptop and copied all files onto PC replacing Polish ones. I was then getting two errors right after the configuration window - one was the assertion failed at ChDimm.cpp at line 805 or 834 one, the other was the "-1" which is a pain in the ass to find via google and it doesn't seem to mind the - at all. Anyway - there's a solution for the assertion one everywhere on the internet and it's a right one. I've replaced the D:\\ paths with F:\\ paths - where my game was installed.

The assertion error was then gone, but "-1" persisted and I couldn't find anything on the internet. It's gone now - Windows 7 does this weird thing to Program Files folder - it adds something to its name, I don't know whether it's always the same or not, but in my case it's (x86). I don't know what for it does it, but I've noticed that majority of programs, even the VERY old ones (like Might and Magic games and such) don't seem to mind it at all. Their installation paths have this (x86) added to it by definition, ALTHOUGH there are some applications that create ANOTHER Program Files folder without the (x86). Retarded (for me). Maybe it is some uber smart solution, but I'm at loss of understanding.

Anyway, I've added those (x86) to the baldur.ini paths and the error is gone now. Gotta mind this if you were copying files from installation on another system like Vista or XP!

I know that this may just be a waste of space, but just in case it could spare some unlucky soul the frustration - here it is. Now full backup and back to modding trials. I found some additional tool in my folder, the .vbs one. Going to use it now and if it makes things easier, I'll bang my head on the wall some more, for not noticing it before. I seriously have some dumb-times at times...

Edited by Calliea, 22 February 2010 - 05:09 PM.

#11 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

... had my Avast! deactivated too

~SETUP-AURORA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Aurora's Shoes and Boots: v5
~SETUP-AURORA.TP2~ #0 #10 // Small portraits for NPCs -> Merchants and minor NPCs: v5

Umm, could you help me over here?? :P

Exactly how did you disable Avast to install Aurora?? I've been having problems with Aurora and Avast ever since v4 (of Aurora) came out :(

Edited by Lollorian, 22 February 2010 - 05:57 PM.

#12 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

If I knew how things work, I'd help you, but I don't even know if that Aurora has installed correctly at all :D I blindly turned the "stop on access protection" (right clicking on the system tray, I have them merged into one too, if that matters), got warned that my computer is unprotected and that's about it. But as I say - like 2,5 blind mice.

Anyway - I did the reinstall, basically no changes and yet nothing works again. Isn't life just great? :lol:

I used the install.bat not that .vbs as it gave me the choice of installing BG2 alone.

Anyway - new game just spits some error I can't see (white square on the screen) and so I cannot google it or anything. I have the Aurora patch installed again, but nothing changes.

I'm attaching a 7z archive - WeiDU.log, Big World Debug and even the Install.bat files are inside. I don't know what to do, it's so wacked I'm actually smiling in my hopelessness. Never before had I such problems with an installation, and there weren't even those terrible errors here this time! The error (white one) jumps out while loading the new game (after having character made). No Irenicus, no chateau, no nothing. WHITE VOID :ph34r:

I can't apologize enough for bothering you SO MUCH here. Were I able to, I'd e-mail you a chocolate for your trouble. I swear.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Logs.7z   109.55K   177 downloads

Edited by Calliea, 22 February 2010 - 06:28 PM.

#13 flinx

flinx
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

Anyway, I've added those (x86) to the baldur.ini paths and the error is gone now. Gotta mind this if you were copying files from installation on another system like Vista or XP!

This happened because your original install was on a 32 bit installation of Vista. On 64 bit Windows, 64 bit software gets installed to Program Files, while 32 bit software to Program Files (x86). The solution in that case is to update the baldur.ini file like you did, and make sure you delete everything from your old install prior to copying it over from the other computer. All you really needed was the registry entries anyway.

Mind you, installing to (either) program files directory is a bad idea to begin with, as this can screw up the rights, particularly when you're dealing with mods. Install it in C:\Games or something similar instead.

If you're having trouble reading the installation discs on Vista/Win7, I recommend you reboot Windows into Safe Mode and install from there instead. There's something screwy with how the installer gets treated in normal mode sometimes - it always works in safe mode though.

#14 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

Oh, thank you! I didn't know what is the difference between these folders and now I do! I don't have a room on C:\ to install games there, though, but next time I may abvoid Program Files - why though? I've always had everything there, never heard it's a bad idea before :o

I'm tempted to try and reinstall BG in the safe mode, curious if that would make it read the CD, but in case it wouldn't and somehow I had even more problems with reinstallation, I think I'll wait with that experiment till after next format. Will keep that in mind though! :lol:

#15 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:11 AM

Oh, thank you! I didn't know what is the difference between these folders and now I do! I don't have a room on C:\ to install games there, though, but next time I may abvoid Program Files - why though? I've always had everything there, never heard it's a bad idea before :o

Well, installing anything that you are going to modify on into the C drives Program Files is a bad idea, as the original files are mirrored from the ProgramData folder by the Operation System... D drives Program Files folder doesn't have that feature. It's probably because MacroHard wanted to protect the Windows files.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:22 AM

Really, it sounds like you want a "radial CD cleaner". Google that term - you should find several for cheap. I have a Memorex one that works wonders. Many DVDs/CDs/PS2 games have totally failed due to scratches. After running them through this baby, they work like new - well 95% of cases or so anyway - if they're really hosed, there's no repairing them. But from the sound of your disks, you just need to polish them a bit. Data loss is no joke - you don't want to take chances with "trying" to install from scratched media.

#17 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:01 AM

If I knew how things work, I'd help you, but I don't even know if that Aurora has installed correctly at all :D I blindly turned the "stop on access protection" (right clicking on the system tray, I have them merged into one too, if that matters), got warned that my computer is unprotected and that's about it.

Oh, Aurora installed perfectly fine in your install :coolthumb:

And even though I used to do the same thing (stop all on-access protection) I gave it one more final go before I moved over to MSE, and surprise surprise :woot: Aurora installed perfectly fine for me too!!! I still dunno how it failed before and how it's working now :wacko: (I was of the impression that heuristics don't get updated on every definition update :P)

Well, I'll say thanks for letting me know that it worked for you :)

#18 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:30 AM

@Jarno

Ah, I see. Well I don't install any games on C drive so it should be alright...

@Miloch

Yet again I can only say :o for I've never heard before of possibility of repairing scratched CDs! I shall see about that, thanks!

@Lollorian

I'm glad your Avast gave up and you managed to install the mod in the end :)

And since nobody seem to be able to help me with that white-screen error... I have another question: would installing these mods of mine manually according to BWP's manual be masochistic? Is there a big chance of failure? I'm at loss of what to do, the only other thing I could do would be installing BGT... which I don't want to do due to the scary lag issue. I don't need BG1... Or I could try the tactics version installation, but I'm not sure if all my chosen mods would even be installed. Please, give me some advice of experienced users? :unsure:

EDIT: Eh, tactics version gives just the same result... No use :crying:

Edited by Calliea, 23 February 2010 - 07:48 AM.

#19 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:22 AM

I'm at loss of what to do, the only other thing I could do would be installing BGT... which I don't want to do due to the scary lag issue. I don't need BG1... Or I could try the tactics version installation, but I'm not sure if all my chosen mods would even be installed. Please, give me some advice of experienced users? :unsure:

There should be no additional lag coming from the BGT if you start the game from the BG2 - SoA part... but it most like won't won't cure any problems in that part either. To avoid the lag, you should do at least the first twenty things on the answer #5 in here.

Now, were I you, the first thing I would do is to make sure the install is clean, copy the old one to somewhere to make a backupI, and then go and uninstall the whole game, cut the BiG World Download folder to somewhere(or use the backups), then clean the game folder and then the trashcan.

Then install the Full install of SoA and the ToB then patch it to v(2.5.)26498 and start the game with one of the pre-exported char, wait until the game autosaves and quit the game. Now you should have a clean install, and if you don't get a crash, you can make a real clean backup from the game folder. Next, remove the game CD from the CD-drive, and copy the BiG World Download folder to where you will keep it for the BiG World Setup and now you can remove the backupI, and then run the BiG World Setup.exe to extract the BiG World Setup.vbs to the game folder... and it should run itself.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 23 February 2010 - 08:27 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#20 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

I did just that earlier today actually. I have a full, fresh, patched and working istallation stored away with new game begun there already. I will use the BiG World Setup.vbs this time then, although that means BGT (unless I missed something on the way).

I know the stutter solutions almost by heart, as I've read them quite a few times and I check the updates there too. But last time I encountered this bug, none of them were of any help so that's why I'm so reluctant to installing anything I don't want to use... But I guess that's my best choice for now. Thank you.