ME3 News

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#21 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

I guess the words "good content" are imperative here; as I understand it, people are more concerned about the DLC being just made for the extra income without proper writing or the same quality standards as ME2 itself, because like you pointed out, some of the DLC so far hasn't impressed. Or the impression has been going way off in the wrong direction.

Then there's also the fact that this particular decision by BioWare doesn't get across so well to everyone (here or elsewhere) for the reasons Philiposophy mentioned. Personally I'll most likely buy the story DLC, because I don't want to miss out on the dialogue and ME3 related events, but I'm still concerned about the scenario I described. Bad content.

#22 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

So far I haven't heard anyone say Kasumi's quest itself was bad.

DLC supports BioWare financially, and as a gamer I want to support BioWare financially, because they make the games I enjoy most. I don't get this whole... "down with the corporate evil!" attitude some people seem to exhibit. I WANT BioWare to succeed, and I understand the difficulty of making DLC. You have a far shorter timeframe to develop in, and nowhere near as many people to give you feedback. I can live with content that doesn't have the same amazing level of polish that the original game had.

#23 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:59 AM

Kasumi is actually pretty decent in my opinion, but having a part of Normandy sealed unless you get her will obviously make people say: "BioWare cut her from the game on purpose to make extra $$$". While they most likely just ran out of production time (see Shale), the reaction is still pretty understandable. I don't think any of us here at SHS would actually use this particular argument though, but to the people who don't read gaming related articles and so forth, this argument seems entirely valid.

That's one example, but I think that the infamous Equalizer Pack makes people more disconcerted here, the concern being that BioWare might utilize the more lucrative tactic of producing small, cost-effective DLC packs (see Alternate Appearance Pack) to get the same income, because the mainstream audience (especially the Xbox 360 crowd) will buy just about anything they release (see Xbox 360 exlusive Character Picture Pack). Personally I don't think they'd throw away their values of producing quality content, but I am somewhat concerned about the increasing amount of "Horse Armor DLC" type content.

About supporting BioWare... I agree that supporting them is a good idea, because otherwise we'll end up with no games. Am going to support them by purchasing less-than-adequate DLC packs though? No, but I will buy them if they have quality, and thus are of interest to me. However, I don't think we need to 'forgive' them for the possible flaws - I'd be all for it if we were talking about an indie company, but BioWare has years of experience in producing multiple things at once. If their budget/time doesn't allow for making multiple DLC packs with the same quality as the main game, I think they should just do fewer DLC packs. Quality over quantity, and nobody's stopping them from charging a bit more for the DLC packs if can't produce as many.

#24 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:19 AM

I want to support Bioware too, because they make some of my favourite video games, but that view is far too simplistic.

I want to support Bioware so they do what they do best, which is making high quality video games with good writing and immersive qualities. I don't really want to support them so they can make DLC crap. I've never liked DLC because I think it breeds a sense of laziness and complacency. See Zaeed and Kasumi, they have no dialogue at all, it's just a monologue from them which Shepard can listen in on. For some reason, they just didn't feel the need to do it... properly, I guess is what it is. This sort of DLC is also irritating for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Of course it's all moot, since I will end up buying it, but it still feels like a kick in the teeth.

#25 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

Some words from Casey Hudson:

So should we be expecting something even more mature for Mass Effect 3?

[Laughs] Well, we're not talking too much about Mass Effect 3 right now, but the second story in a trilogy is where you traditionally end up in a fairly dark place. The third story is where you try and bring some fun and lightness back into it. One thing we tried to do with Mass Effect 2 was as well as bringing in the more mature stuff, we also tried to bring in a lot more humour so that we can go to these places without making it an overbearing experience. I think we have a lot more fun this time through characters like Joker and EDI. Mass Effect 3 is going to be the epic conclusion... so, a lot more darkness but also a lot more humour.

Source: ME2 Interview @ OXM UK

Edited by Archmage Silver, 04 June 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#26 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

News:
Mass Effect 3 Information @ ME Wiki
ME3 Will Track Over 1,000 Variables @ CVG

#27 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

The folks at GamesRadar have taken a look at the two ME games so far, and came up with a list of feature requests for ME3.

#28 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

Otherwise good ideas, but I don't know about dying. ToB ascension was weepy enough for me. xP
So something like dying, something epic, but not quite dying anyway, would be my pick.
Dying is too much of an flat out goodbye to the character you've lovingly nurtured into the murderous renegade she is. o_o

#29 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

IGN's "What We Want" list for Mass Effect 3 is online.

#30 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

Mass Effect 3 Early Announcement

"Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth."

You should be able to see more of ME3 at Spike Video Game Awards on Dec. 11.

Edit: Trailer added further down.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 11 December 2010 - 07:50 PM.

#31 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

Charting the Plot Points @ IGN

#32 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

The official announcement of Mass Effect 3 took place today at the Spike Video Game Awards. Check out the trailer of Earth under attack. The release date is set for Holiday 2011, which I would guess means December 2011. More information to follow later.

ME3Wall.jpg

#33 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Yay!!!!!! All that work and they STILL made it to Earth. :(
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#34 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:24 AM

8D

Damn, still a year... But WHEEEEEE! Can't wait. x3

#35 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:39 AM

Allow me to sum up my feelings in a handy bullet point list... again!

• About fucking time they admitted that they're working on it, no one bought the "uh maybe" bullshit.
  • A christmas 2011 release is pretty much what I expected.
  • Other than that, it's a pretty generic "aliens invade earth" trailer. Not much to say about it.

I don't have any reason to be pessimistic about ME3 (as far as I can tell, it'll be pretty much like ME2, and I had fun with that despite the issues), but it's far too early for me to start getting excited.

#36 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:40 AM

Want. WANT!!!

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#37 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:41 AM

HEY GUYS! I've made the best thing ever! :woot:

Mute the first video. And damn it syncs up well to Shepard's appearance.

#38 Silvi

Silvi
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:46 AM

wow that's quite fast, I thought we'll have to wait till 2012 hollidays. can't wait.

btw anyone knows if the Lair of the Shadowbroker was the last big DLC or will there be more? :whistling:
My deviantArt lair
Team Silvivi Mods
Miles NPC

------------
Name: Silvi
Class: Witch (Writer/Painter)
Alignment: Neutral Evil
When asked about her past, SILVI asks why are you asking about her past. After some nagging she admits she always had a weak spot for Baldur's Gate, game from her youth. She mentions she had been seeking for a way to add a mod of her own to it. Now, she notes proudly, her little dream is being granted.

-----------
Posted Image

Oh, and you've just lost the game.

#39 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:46 AM

While Marilyn Manson's "music" makes me want to light myself on fire to escape it, that is... very appropriate. XD

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#40 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:12 AM

Manson goes with every bioware trailer.

...okay I have another one. I KNOW YOU FEEL THIS!