Cannot talk to NPCs after loading game

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 b0wter

b0wter
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:48 AM

Hey,
first I'de like to say that I could not use the search function since it redirected me to an error page saying something is not right, so I'm not sure if this is a common problem.
I've installed Baldurs Gate Saga and patched it to version 5512. Then I installed Baldurs Gate 2 + Expansion and patched it (I cant remember the exact number, I simply downloaded the latest version from the bioware homepaf) and then I put the BGT-WeiDU installer into my BG2 folder and installed it (no errors occured). The game starts and except for the main menu which is a little messed up (looks like that is a resolution issue) it works fine to the point when I load a savegame. When I do i cannot talk to any more NPCs, I always get the message "You cannot initiate dialog with [NPC] because [NPC] seems busy." I've googled that and read that this could be soleved by installing the latest patch, which I already did. Any ideas how to make this work? :)

#2 -Andrew O'Rourke-

-Andrew O'Rourke-

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

That happens alot too me i rest then save then reload, that works often enough, sometimes i have to try this more than once, and that's a problem with just norm bladur's gate 2 scripting it happens too me all the time on bg2, it not a bgt error.

#3 breezykilt

breezykilt
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

I believe your supposed to start a new game, I do not know this for sure try a new game and see if you can talk to anyone if you can that means, you are not supposed to use old saved games for BGT, this is just a guess because I have not yet play BGT still installing the game myself which is taking longer than i thought it would, but from what i've read, I think you're not supposed to load already started games, but like I said this is only a guess. I hope I'm not correct and your saved games still work, but give it a try or as a matter of fact I will give it a try and let you know when I find out.

Peace
Peace Brother, or sister, which ever gender category you happen to fall into.

#4 b0wter

b0wter
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:08 AM

I've encountered this problem when starting a new game in BGT. I'll try resting thanks :)

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

Look for the file BG2-ToBPatchReadMe.txt in your game folder. Open it - if it says on the first line "Version 26499" or any version other than 26498, your game will have issues such as this one. If you haven't got such a file (in BG2/BGT, not BG1) then you probably didn't install any patch correctly.

Edit: incidentally, you should always start a new game after applying major patches, mods, etc., or there's a good chance your old game won't work.

Edited by Miloch, 31 March 2010 - 01:52 AM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 sasquash

sasquash
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

I'm having the same problem, but in addition, my party members do not talk. at all. I figure this is due to the same problem (Jaheira attempts to talk to the protagonist, but gets the "busy signal". Am I correct? Will patching my ToB fix this? And do I have to uninstall BGT in order to correctly patch ToB? Thanks in advance, I apologize for my lack of knowledge

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

You should patch ToB to v26498 before installing BGT or any other mods.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#8 -Wojput-

-Wojput-

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

I had similar issue, fixed by patch, but now I got worse problem. When I try to talk to someone - I can, except for the fact that no text is displayed. Dialogue window extends... And thats it. No content, can't choose any dialogue options. Anyone would know how to deal with that?

#9 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

Post your weidu log. Generally, text not displaying indicates something having gone badly wrong. Did you install anything while the game was running, or while a game-related utility such as Shadowkeeper was running?
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#10 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:11 AM

This commonly is due to not using a BG:TotSC version 5512 as the BG install and not using BG:ToB version 26498 as the BG2 install.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#11 -Jasper-

-Jasper-

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

Hello,

I have got exactly the same problem as described. I cannot talk to about 90% of all NPC. Sometimes resting or reloading the game helps. I am absolutely sure I have installed the correct patches. Version 26498 for BG 2 + ToB and 5512 for BG 1 ToTSC.

Any idea what I can do about this problem?

#12 -Jasper-

-Jasper-

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

Never mind. I got this working. Eager to play now :-)

#13 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:18 PM

Would you like to share how you got this working so that others may get insight as to how to solve the issue?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#14 GQ37

GQ37
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

Glad I found this thread, because it doesn't turn up in the search.  I'm having the same issues.  I have the correct patches, but I still get the "appears busy" message when I try to talk to 90% of the NPCs.  Resting/Reloading seems to have no effect.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  Thanks!

#15 GQ37

GQ37
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

Nevermind.  I got it working.  Just uninstalled BGT, then re-installed the patch, then re-installed BGT again.  Seems to be working now.

#16 -moliath-

-moliath-

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

i have baldurs gate 2 soa+tob. when i only had soa installed it worked fine, but wen i installed tob(i started new game after install) i keep getting the cannot initiate dialogue x appears busy or watever it is. ive tried the save load thing it wont work. if there is a patch to fix this plz post the link. it would really help.

#17 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

It might be helpful if you posted your WeiDU log, but this might be completely unrelated to BGT (it happens with modded versions of BG & BG2). More often than not, it's the result of uninstalling, reinstalling mods in different orders, and messing up the dialog strings, IIRC. Post your WeiDU log for starters, but you might need to revert to a clean install.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#18 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:08 AM

i have baldurs gate 2 soa+tob. when i only had soa installed it worked fine, but wen i installed tob(i started new game after install) i keep getting the cannot initiate dialogue x appears busy or watever it is. ive tried the save load thing it wont work. if there is a patch to fix this plz post the link. it would really help.

If you didn't do it yet, you need to install the latest ToB patch, version 2.5.26498. This one fixes the "x appears busy" bug. You can find the patch here. Select the English or European version depending on your version of the game.
DO NOT download the beta patch!

#19 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

...If you didn't do it yet, you need to install the latest ToB patch, version 2.5.26498. This one fixes the "x appears busy" bug. You can find the patch here. Select the English or European version depending on your version of the game.

This also means the he needs to make a new install of the BGT and any other mods he has, f he had any, as the patch overwrites stuff the mods altered.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.