Photo

New megamod game(Strontium Dog)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:03 AM

OK, After failing spectacularly mid-game in a previous try at BWP megamods(due to an animations-clash re moinesse avatars most likely) I'm now trying a new megamod. Now it seems that there are better mods out there which correct a number of issues such as item_revisions and the full plate mod. Unfortunately, the full-plate mod only seems to have affected the main game and perhaps 1 or 2 other mods, with armours from some mods wholly unaffected, forcing me to exclude some great mod-added armours which allow spell-casting. Pity, as the full-plate mod prevents the ridiculous ad&d 2nd edition notion of still having dexterity bonuses even when wearing heavy armour.

The number of assassins in BG1 have become even greater with numerous BG1 areas having them(I wonder which mod adds them in?). Plus, because of all the mods I've installed, I've had to discard some too easily available items such as a cloak which effectively gives permenant invisibility. Given that the invisibility power has been removed from the staff of the magi, I presume it makes the game too easy.

I'll include my weidu log-file in the next thread, tomorrow as I'm sure it will be needed when I get my next inevitable bug. So far, I'm in the south around Nashkel and have only encountered 1 bug re the game CTDing whenever I go to Ulcaster via the map. I solved this by CLUAConsoling my party to Ulcaster which worked fine.

I also installed the infinity animations mod as in the previous game I'd had some weird clashes:- in many mod-added adventures, orcs and orogs would appear as red half-dragons onscreen. Yet, the Icharyd figure I got in Ulcaster was no longer an undead skeleton but is now a figure looking like an IWD version of a verbeeg giant.

Is there any mod which is working on changing the wild magic random wild surge tables? I find it game-breaking that it sometimes allows party gold to disappear(commonly 2/3 of one's gold at a time!), so feel the need to use addgold() a lot to make up for that. Plus, I'd like more self-damaging effects than just weird colours/hiccups.

#2 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:44 AM

One other issue:- in 1 encounter with the many random extra assassin parties I'm now getting with my BWP megamod game, the 2 female assassins just stood there and did nothing(and seemed impervious to magical missiles despite not having the protection from missiles spell animation on them). Clearly the SCS AI isn't always functioning 100%.

#3 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

You might tell us what AI you've chosen; and if you've chosen BP-Ascension. And maybe your weidu.log makes sense, if you're going to post your bugs here.

#4 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

Or just attach your WeiDU.log and BiG World Debug.txt (zip/rar/7z plz :P)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

The number of assassins in BG1 have become even greater with numerous BG1 areas having them(I wonder which mod adds them in?).

SCS I would presume. I don't know if it adds more assassins per se, but it randomises encounters which may make it seem like it.

Plus, because of all the mods I've installed, I've had to discard some too easily available items such as a cloak which effectively gives permenant invisibility. Given that the invisibility power has been removed from the staff of the magi, I presume it makes the game too easy.

Need an item code or at least an idea of where you got it to say where that's from.

So far, I'm in the south around Nashkel and have only encountered 1 bug re the game CTDing whenever I go to Ulcaster via the map. I solved this by CLUAConsoling my party to Ulcaster which worked fine.

I also installed the infinity animations mod as in the previous game I'd had some weird clashes:- in many mod-added adventures, orcs and orogs would appear as red half-dragons onscreen. Yet, the Icharyd figure I got in Ulcaster was no longer an undead skeleton but is now a figure looking like an IWD version of a verbeeg giant.

A stupid typo - animation should be 0x528e I believe (IWD barrow wight), not 0x528d (fixed locally). If you got a crash when going there via the map, do you get anything in your baldur.err log? (Incidentally, if you get more errors you think are IA, it helps to post them in that forum since I don't check threads like this that often.)

One other issue:- in 1 encounter with the many random extra assassin parties I'm now getting with my BWP megamod game, the 2 female assassins just stood there and did nothing(and seemed impervious to magical missiles despite not having the protection from missiles spell animation on them). Clearly the SCS AI isn't always functioning 100%.

Need the names of the 2 other assassins but I think they're the ones for NTotSC, which is a known issue, and one I thought "fixed" in SCS and/or NTotSC (see here for example).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

The number of assassins in BG1 have become even greater with numerous BG1 areas having them(I wonder which mod adds them in?).

Most probably from the CoM mods - Dark Horizons (adds absolutely pwnz0rs mobs ... but makes all the imba itamz you get pretty useful ;)) and CoM Encounters

Plus, because of all the mods I've installed, I've had to discard some too easily available items such as a cloak which effectively gives permenant invisibility. Given that the invisibility power has been removed from the staff of the magi, I presume it makes the game too easy.

Need an item code or at least an idea of where you got it to say where that's from.

Or atleast the name :P

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#7 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

My only real issue right now is that the game seems in combat mode for far longer than in previous BG2 games, the combat-music etc. continues quite some time after combat has actually finished. It's annoying as I like to quick-0save often.

Weidu etc. files below

Attached Files

#8 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

debu file below

#9 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

Hey Strontium, I've gotten rid of that combat mode with music playing by ducking in a building for a few seconds till it stops, then leaving again.

The 2 amazons were the ones that stayed blue. Cast a cloudkill or area effect spell to have em join the party.

The wild mage additions come from the Wild Mage Mod (with Rhialto the Marvellous). The constant hiccups were pretty annoying. Do you have the Worgas the wild mage mod installed? It might be one or both causing the surges. I have both and its more a pain than amusing to have the WM constantly f up spells.

Also had a few mixups with the Infinity Animations (but for the other 99% of stuff its great) and the verbeerg. In my case it was Rejek in Trademeet who turns into one. Just a mixup with a few creatures I suppose.

Hope this install works better for you than the last one.

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

Also had a few mixups with the Infinity Animations (but for the other 99% of stuff its great) and the verbeerg. In my case it was Rejek in Trademeet who turns into one. Just a mixup with a few creatures I suppose.

Eh, who? I can't find any creature on my install with a name like that.

Edit: Oh, Rejiek. Yes, same bug as above, already fixed for next version. Glad to know everything else seems to work...

Edited by Miloch, 30 April 2010 - 05:03 PM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#11 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:10 AM

Hey Strontium, I've gotten rid of that combat mode with music playing by ducking in a building for a few seconds till it stops, then leaving again.

Unfortunately, I was out in the open with no buildings in those particular areas, in recent times.

The 2 amazons were the ones that stayed blue. Cast a cloudkill or area effect spell to have em join the party.

That's weird, why would cloudkill make them ally with you?

The wild mage additions come from the Wild Mage Mod (with Rhialto the Marvellous). The constant hiccups were pretty annoying. Do you have the Worgas the wild mage mod installed? It might be one or both causing the surges. I have both and its more a pain than amusing to have the WM constantly f up spells.

I don't have worgas the mage installed as they said it would conflict with other drizz't mods as it has drizzx't in it or something.

As for the wild mage additions spell mod, I think it's great as many spells there are very useful and it was boring to rely on just 1 spell(nahals' reckless dweomer) all the time. I don't think the wild mage spell modifies the wild sugre tables, though. Maybe I'm wrong re this, but I saw the original wild surge table for BG2:TOB and it contains numerous references to hiccups and similiar guff. I would much rather have more frequent occurrences of summoning hostile demons/pit-fiends or teleporting allies or opponents halfway across the area and similiar random, effective surges. Having 80% of one's gold vanish just because of a wild surge really is too much, though, and the hiccups are just boring.

#12 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:41 AM

I just realised that a number of the cursed weapons and rings have been altered so that it is not immediately obvious that they are cursed. I had Viconia put on mad arcand's ring which stated it only boosted dexterity by +2 and nothing else when identified, and Viconia couldn't cast spells half the time due to spell casting failure. Must be that cursted item mod I installed.

I also came across a very weird side-effect(not really a bug I suppose). My wild mage Bhaalspawn used nahal's reckless dweomer to summon a dark planetar ; the spell cast but there were innumerable surges(ie 1 surge was "roll 4 times") and 1 was fireball which didn't affect my caster, 1 involved a failed polymorph of my caster, 1 set the caster as a target, 1 was "+4 to saves". The result was that I got 2 fully-functioning dark planetars(no mention there of the spell being cast twice) and, even more strangely, both 2 dark planetars looked exactly like Viconia DeVir. That is, I had some time before, changed Viconia's appearance so that she had blonde hair and blue skin like an elven portrait I saw online as I wanted the figure and portrait to be congruent. The normal planetar-figures in vanilla BG2 were big and red with white wings, as I recall, and while there have been many changes in animations due to various mods in the BWP install, I find it hard to believe that they would take on an elven shape and 1 exactly resembling my altered Viconia.Maybe a wild surge somehow chnaged things without it being registered onscreen.

#13 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

More issues:-

I just posted this question to the spell-revisions forum and was wondering if anyone knew which mod-component these new changes come from. Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to solve the other questions below, I'd love to hear them, thanks:-

"1 of the components of another mod in my BWP game has seemingly fouled up my present game. It seems that the spell revisions versions of summon fiend(glabrezu) , summon death knight and gate have become fouled up. Instead, I get a dud summon death knight where 1 spell in shadowkeeper summons what looks like a demon which promptly attacks me launching 20d6 fireballs, and another version where the demon knight looks like the original demon knight animation in vanilla BG2 but which does nothing but stand there when I order it to attack or attack the demon knight.*haven't checked the cacofiend spell yet, maybe that is also altered by that other mod with a 50/50 chance of 1 of 2 monsters?

I also get an 8th level spell for summon fiend whereby I get a 50% chance of a nabassu or a glabrezu and a 9th level gate spell where I get a 50% chance of a pit-fiend or a balor(as I'm neutral evil-aligned not LE or CE) - those ones work fine(though the monsters teleport all over the place towards enemies, causing some confusion for me). I know, I recently mentioned I liked this possibility in another thread, but I'm not sure whether the new versions are as good/combat-worthy as the equivalents I saw in the spell-revisions versions(eg:- your pit-fiend with 150hp poison damage etc.

My problem is that when I launch the spell-revisions versions of summon fiend and gate I get the various creatures but they automatically go hostile within a second or two even if my party has protection from evil 10' radius installed. *Just had a horrible thought, perhaps the fact that I deliberately didn't install the bothersome magic circle against evil and 1st level protection from evil from the spell-revisions mod(and kept the original protection from evil 10' radius) may have caused all the trouble. I hope to god not. Any ideas?

If it is the above, is there any way to offset this by using a global command to always get the spell revisions versions of glabrezu/pit-fiends to ally with me as soon as they appear?

I suppose I could simply transfer the relevant spell-rev files for magic circle against evil/protection against evil into the BG2 override folder and just use those different spells mid-game even if they don't have a description underneath? I've done that with spellpack's wall of fire spell and it works fine as a spell, regardless. Trouble is that I would have to make sure it was the right spell via shadowkeeper spell codes etc., given the previous different description.

#14 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:05 AM

Just realised that this mod, the Unholy Gate Opening Ritual Book, might well be that new mod I mentioned, as it is the only 1 mentioning summoning nabassus or balors. Well, if it allows me to get round the debacle with the spell-revisions versions of those monsters, then that's just as well.*Oh, maybe it's the atweak's revised fiend summoning component?

2 last things:- the Improved Summoning Mod sucks big time. It was supposed to add in more powerful summoned monsters as they merely became weak cannon-fodder in the later stages of the game otherwise. The summon vampire spell(replacing summon wyvern) is utterly useless as the vampire turns into a bat and wanders off into the distance without being able to be controlled once it's changed. The summon beholder spell is absurd as the beholder(even the big one summoned by a 20+ level mage) can only attack by biting and can't cast spells it seems(no spell-casting symbol with spells underneath and the like).

Also, while the wild mage mod is great in most respects, the author has inserted a stupid joke-spell "vortex" which either turns one into a rabbit(and gets one deleted from the game even if one is the bhaalspawn, with the game continuing without), or the version showing a wyvern carrying a cow movie(from cloakwood) before CTDing. Vortex is a genuine wild mage spell from pen and paper AD&D and should have been kept so.

Other than that I'm disappointed that summon helmed horror CTDed automatically - obviously it was never meant to be a real spell for a PC, just something used by hostiles to summon helmed horrors. It would have been a great summoning spell for my bhaalspawn.

Edited by Strontium Dog, 02 May 2010 - 08:14 AM.

#15 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

If you installed Spell Revisions etc. together with the Improved Summons mod, which are partially incomaptible and what is not recommended by the BWP, don't wonder that you get all these bugs with summons. Sorry.

Edited by Fennek, 02 May 2010 - 10:07 AM.

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

Must be that cursted item mod I installed.

Yes.

both 2 dark planetars looked exactly like Viconia DeVir. That is, I had some time before, changed Viconia's appearance so that she had blonde hair and blue skin like an elven portrait I saw online as I wanted the figure and portrait to be congruent. The normal planetar-figures in vanilla BG2 were big and red with white wings, as I recall, and while there have been many changes in animations due to various mods in the BWP install, I find it hard to believe that they would take on an elven shape and 1 exactly resembling my altered Viconia.

IIRC, there is a component of Spell Revisions or something that gives the planetars and celestials the 1PP "wings". As such, they'd need to have the female elf avatar, as it is the only one compatible with the wings. Personally, I think the vanilla celestial avatars are better (or there is another mod, I think a Spanish one, that removes the stupid-looking glow you get with them sometimes).

Maybe the BWP should consider moving some of those other spell mods you mentioned to the so-called "Expert" install, if they aren't already. Either that or try fixing them, if that's possible, and if you can narrow down exactly which ones are causing which issues.

Other than that I'm disappointed that summon helmed horror CTDed automatically - obviously it was never meant to be a real spell for a PC, just something used by hostiles to summon helmed horrors.

Can you CLUA in a regular helmed horror via CreateCreature("helmho")? Do you get anything in baldur.err if it crashes?

#17 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:25 AM

If you installed Spell Revisions etc. together with the Improved Summons mod, which are partially incomaptible and what is not recommended by the BWP, don't wonder that you get all these bugs with summons. Sorry.

The Improved Summons mod merely overwrites the previous spell revisions spells with entirely new spells. I only installed 1 or select spells from the Improved Summons mod(ie none of the demons/celestials summoning, just summon nympth/dryad/sirine, and summon vampire(replaces summon wyvern), and the monster or animal summoning spells.

No, the problem is obvious now I come to think of it. It's the revised fiends component of the Atweaks mod. I was unsure of it, but when there was no mention of it conflicting with the spell revisions mod I went ahead as it made more sense in terms of gameplay. Even that wouldn't foul up my game as the spell revisions versions of the demon summoning spells still work in that they summon green-circled demons, but they go hostile in a second or two as my protection from evil 10' radius doesn't seem to give my party any protection from them at all. I'm making a wild guess and assuming that the reason is that I had deliberately excluded the spell revisions different versions of the proection from evil/protection from evil 10' radius spells, so that only those work. I will have to transfer those spell-rev files to the override folder to see if that works(can't transfer the description, of course). If not, I'll have to reinstall all over again as the spell revisions versions of those mods are far more powerful in some ways than with the Revised Fiends component(especially in terms of combat).

#18 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:50 AM

The Improved Summons mod merely overwrites the previous spell revisions spells with entirely new spells. I only installed 1 or select spells from the Improved Summons mod(ie none of the demons/celestials summoning, just summon nympth/dryad/sirine, and summon vampire(replaces summon wyvern), and the monster or animal summoning spells.

Did not have a look on your weidu.log.

O.K., if you can prove that the source of the problems is ATweaks, Avenger will certainly have a look on it, I guess. Otherwise you might try some changelogs on the buggy demons.

#19 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:55 AM

OK, I have now worked out why my spell-revisions versions of demon summoning spells always turned hostile on me even when I had protection from evil cast on my party. The atweak's fiend-summoning spells component is directly responsible as the spell revisions spells work fine without it, with the fiends aiding me.

This means I'm forced to choose between them for summoning spells which is a shame.I tried using enablecheatkeys() and the q button to get the allied to me, but this seems to delete their spell-like abilties and nerfs them somewhat combat-wise, I think. Is there any global command I can make that forces demons to become friendly to my party for a time? That way, I could have summon both the atweak's revised fiends
and the spell revisions demon-summoning spells.

Anyway, if someone from the spell revisions or atweaks mod could fix this, I would be most grateful. The spell-codes don't appear to overlap so one can have both if the turning-hostile bug is just fixed, somehow.

1 last question:- I have some savegames from a previous recent BWP game which is almost identical to my current BWP game except that the atweak's component fiend-summoning spells hasn't been included. The saves from the previous game do seem to load but I'm just worried that there might be some conflicts later on such as CTDs occurring as the savegame was from a very slightly different installed BWP game. Any thoughts?

Edited by Strontium Dog, 06 May 2010 - 02:07 AM.

#20 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:28 AM

1 last question:- I have some savegames from a previous recent BWP game which is almost identical to my current BWP game except that the atweak's component fiend-summoning spells hasn't been included. The saves from the previous game do seem to load but I'm just worried that there might be some conflicts later on such as CTDs occurring as the savegame was from a very slightly different installed BWP game. Any thoughts?

As long as the mod hasn't overhauled areas, animations or dialogue, it probably is ok. To my knowledge aTweaks doesn't do any of that, but I'm not entirely sure.