Photo

Massive Idea Bomb!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Osvir

Osvir
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

So I've been beginning to fiddle around with NearInfinity and others. Although I clearly like NearInfinity the most, even though I've only sat with it for 5-10 minutes I can really feel that I "understand" it. Another one which I tried confused me, however, it's purpose coming to my knowledge after I got NearInfinity =P

This thread will or might get editted from time to time so check regularly if you think any of these are interesting. And if you feel like discussing possibilities and contributing with your own thoughts and opinion, please do adjust any of the ideas to your own liking.

These are ordered in terms of when I will create them (if I ever create them, these are mostly brainstorming)

Updates:

* 2010/08/20 Updated (Added) Portrait Morpher Idea
* 2010/08/20 Updated Portrait Morpher Idea
* 2010/08/20 Updated Candlekeep Origins
* 2010/08/20 Changed Sero's Story to "Work in progress..."
* 2010/08/22 Updated (Added) Baldur's Gate: The Godspawn Era, Fan-Fiction+Mod Idea

Anyways, for the bomb(s):

----------------------------
Portrait and Sound-Set Morpher
* Sound-Set Morpher is a bit much of an undertaking and put on lots of ice. But Portrait Morpher is doable. What it's purpose would be would be, as an example, that you choose the picture of Ajantis (at character creation) but his portrait would change into a more "evil" one if you would choose Alignment. I've been told that this could be possible (Changing portrait per alignment).

* At points in the game your character will "age", his facial expression will change. Maybe get "sacks" under his eyes. After all, our character is fighting for his life and is almost constantly in danger or peril. I've been told that this could be possible (Changing portrait each chapter).

* As you take damage, the portrait would change too. I am aware that there is already someone who did this (So that the portraits themselves look damaged when you take damage, I don't remember who did it but that stuff was awesome).

* This whole idea is for you to be able to choose one voice, one portrait, and it will change depending on your choices in the game. So that your character doesn't sound all happy-go-lucky and look solemn at peace when he is a Chaotic Evil character. Or the other way around. I also want to implement into the idea the ability to change alignment in-game. That your character who once was Lawful Good could become just Chaotic Evil (And you would be able to see the changes). The portrait would also react to your current Reputation.

* Helmets and armor will affect the portrait (if possible).

- What to do? -
This section will contain information on progress and what I am doing. Eventually there might pop up some links to pictures and development. Later on there will be some Beta tests that will be released. And eventually but not 100% possible I will take requests on portraits.

Candlekeep Origins (WT: Working Title)
* So, this idea is that of our character being at Candlekeep, doing chores, growing up and... learning how he became a Priest, Warrior or what not. Depending on which class you would choose you would get different NPC's and different conversations. You would learn how to cast a spell, or fail to do it.

* Of course, there would have to be some quests for action. And the first one I can think of is killing rats, you and Imoen sneak into a building at night. To fight off rats (which are much stronger now), and possibly fleeing down into the cellar. Doing interactive stuff so that Candlekeep doesn't bore you to death.

* The second one could be stalking Gorion, if you read manga and have read Bakuman you'll understand what I mean when I say "Perfect Crime Club" or was it "Party"? Anyways, that's what I'm talking about nonetheless. And scolded by Gorion if caught. Depending on the outcome of your "success" or "failure" your alignment would rise. Perhaps you could choose to not stalk Gorion because you are a delinquent and Lawful Good.

* Another quest could be actually trying to sneak out of the castle, for planning or whatnot.

- What to do? -
This section will contain information on progress and what I am doing. Eventually there might pop up some links to pictures and development. Later on there will be some Beta tests that will be released.

Quests:
* The Storage Cellar
Imoen believes there is a massive treasure below the storage. You, Jondalar and Eric sneak into the building at night. Only to be attacked by massive rats!!

Sero
* Work in progress...

* Sero is a character I made up myself, complete with his own soundtrack and portrait. I've made the sound set myself but the picture I took from a compilation of Sins of Solar Empire portraits. Before I even begin distrubiting the character or portrait I will ask for permission to use in this mod.

* He will have a long path of quests and fun stuff to enjoy. I also want to manage him so that he enters the party during certain parts, and then disappears from the party at certain parts. Per say, you walk into a dungeon, and at a point (let's say three-way split) Sero decides to walk one way and you walk another way. Later on you will link up with him, either at a point where he is in danger, or where you are in danger.

* All of the names are just "blurps" in my head. If you feel and want to add something, or remove something, please tell me and I will consider it. I myself want this to be as generetic as possible, yet an original story.

* For now I keep all the area, weapon, item, spells and quest ideas for myself. I wouldn't want to get ahead of myself.

Mage Forbidden Spell (WT: Working Title)
* An idea that came to me when playing Baldur's Gate as a Mage. "Who is Melf?" I thought and googled for him but could not find him. On the Pocket Plane Group I was told that he was (well obviously) a powerful Mage (I think?) that lived during some Era. I read up a bit on him and was dismayed that the original idea I thought of him would not work with his personality (as I said, I want to be as generetic as possible). But rejoiced when I learned that I could still use him.

* This modification, expansion or whatnot, would be a series of quests of puzzles, clues and a lot of walking around. Finding items, going into dungeons for a bit of information regarding the long lost scroll of Melf's ultimate magic. Something so powerful Melf himself had to banish it within a dark dimension. Or so the rumors say. This piques your character's interest and your adventure begins.

* The quests are meant to be challanging and a bit "Sherlock Holmes" in some cases. But also very much rewarding.

Art and Graphic's Modification
* So I followed a link on the Pocket Plane Group's front page where I got to read a tutorial of how-to-install BiG World (which started this entire eagerness to mod for the game) wherein he writes something along the lines "I will teach you how to play Baldur's Gate as it should be played 2010". And I agreed with him. BUT... there is still something missing in my opinion. This entire last idea is very much "Is this possible?".

* 1. More/Better/Detailed/Etc. attack/block/walk/run(?)/miss/critical hit/etc. animations.

* 2. Detailed monsters and monster animations (Same as 1 basically)

* 3. Enhanced/Detailed weapon, armor and spell animations and graphics. More and different armor, weapons, items, spells; E.G "Leather Armor" would look different both in Inventory Screen and in Field Screen. It would also look different from a Studded Leather Armor (rather than just a darker color change as it is in BGT). So basically every armor, weapon, helmet would look different from one another.

* 4. Enhanced art. More detail in general.

* So what brings this on? Well, I think Baldur's Gate is awesome. It is beyond awesome. But the graphic really feels outdated, although it is it's own style, it's own charm and all that. I just believe that today it could be better and still feel generetic. I am a full believer that this could be enhanced. Well it would take a LOT of time and probably split a person in two by way of mental breakdown haha. Jokes aside, I looked into NearInfinity. Found a model file for a dwarf I think. Exported it and began drawing in bambatcher. Before finishing I realized that I could save this and convert it back to BAM. This insight is probably not new to you.

And I believe that others have most likely thought the same thought I am thinking. Maybe someone else has already tried and it failed due to countless errors in game. But nonetheless, I will try to edit a character (and all of it's animations) and see what happens. If successfull (a fully functional 100% character that has all animations/frames working properly in-game) I will try and enhance the backround images. Again, if possible. There will be no changes, only graphical improvements.

* The last two paragraphs are wild ideas, and a bit of a massive undertaking. It was mostly just for venting, as I've thought of this idea for quite a while. But I'm putting this in a huge bucket of ice (and refill it from time to time) until I've got better at NearInfinity or modding for Baldur's Gate in general.

----------------------------EXTREMELY WILD----------------------------
The Godspawn Era (WT = Working Title)
Baldur's Gate: Godspawn (Sequel story past Throne of Bhaal, idea, we can call it, as in example, Baldur's Gate 2.3-2.4)

Whisperings and voices, small but ever fragrant, ever moving. Slow and clumsy, though eventually reaching it's goal. The messengers of God are many, and all around. Eternally moving (which result in very very long travel times, it takes 5 or more years for a messenger to reach God, meaning that God believes it is the Iron Crisis on the world and he has to stop it, when it already has been stopped; one could call it a misunderstanding). And when the message finally reaches it's final destination. All hell breaks loose. "Rumors of Bhaalspawn?" echoed all out of the Heavens, the world shook as if God himself landed on the soil of the earth. The world cracking open, sending waves and waves of quakes rocketing across the lands. Searching, looking. Storms brewed more powerful winds and thundered the land with lightning and floods.

The world was terrified, it was on the verge of dying altogether. Although God stopped tearing the world apart in His desperate attempt at finding the Bhaalspawn. Instead He looked towards His Angels. The Ravager Sero, the Dread Karo, the Lustful Lashkini, the Beast Oruk, the Silent Isin and the Daring Jolyne. These 6 warriors were Godspawn. They were to find all Bhaalspawn, and rid them from this world. That was their just cause, their mission to restore order and balance. All who pumped Bhaal's poisonous blood within them were to be purged...

At the world our own hero, shaken by the terror of the world, as if the apocalypse were crumbling down untop of you during your calm years of sleep. You being the one who restored the world to balance 5 years past Throne of Bhaal and it's extensions. You see your farm being torn asunder as the earth quakes destroy your whole village that you recently were being major of. Well until the storms and quakes. But yet our hero would not know what true terror was awaiting him. The Godspawn would eventually find him.

As if being pushed, yet again, our hero reawakened. His spider sense was tingling, and he began looking for his old companions, wherever they remained. To find new and worthy warriors to aid him by his side. Fighting evil and good, trying to learn and to stop whatever was cursing the world itself. Until eventually finding out that, although indirectively, it is all our hero's fault.

Features:
* A whole new era (5 years past Throne of Bhaal), 3-4 chapter long story, all with it's own quests and items
* Explore the apocalyptic world of Baldur's Gate and travel to the skies all the way to Heaven. See cities burned down, people fleeing from the chaos and criminals using the chaos for their own benefits. The old caves you used to cleanse from monsters have now become habitads for people, but to their surprise monsters have also infested these caves.
* Battle against 6 Godspawn, stronger than any boss you have met. They too with a complete series of personality development, evolution and game changing dialogues. You could even be able to recruit some of the Godspawn. Making the end battle easier (but less rewarding)
* Massive amounts of Quests, helping out in the ruins, save people from fire, stop bandits from taking over city's, or help them do it. Fiercer monster and enemy fights. Watch as powerful and dangerous prisoner's escape from their jailors. Where the strongest warriors rise up to fight. Utter chaos around every corner.
* This modification will most likely never be made. I couldn't help myself but just to imagine ^^ I also love to write and I thought this was a fitting place to post it. (Although this segment should perhaps go into the "Fanfic" area)

Gameplay:
* Your character will be level 1 again, due to inactiveness in any way for combat or what not. But he will be able to find part's that makes him progressively throughout the game stronger (Like the dreams with Gorion). He will learn and pick up faster than anyone else and thus get higher and faster level than anyone else.
* You'll have a stronghold, here where you can place all of your collected PC's. You will come across battles where all of them are needed.
* If you mix and add PC's to your stronghold they will also react to each other, maybe start to love eachother, or hate each other. Eventually leaving due to that hatred. Some even fight and duel against each other to kill each other due to old stories before the apocalypse.
* All party members that you not have in your party are AI controlled and you can't tell them what to do during a fight but before a fight.
* You can send out party members on quests or missions and they come back with rewards. They might even level up during those travels (Not benefitial to main character), and if they don't return your character gets the mission to search for them. Or they died and you had given them a great sword to that you wanted to have, only to find out it has been stolen. So you have to find it. These are generally how the missions will play out. Maybe even a party member will steal a weapon, armor, or massive amounts of gold, and you need to hunt them down (or you're screwed with the bad equipment that's left).
* You will encounter other Bhaalspawn that survived, or was created for the sole purpose; to destroy God (as this truly was a battle Heaven versus Hell). Bhaalspawn that act the same way you do, building fortification and massing armies. Which you yourself have to fight or protect from. Assassin's attacking in your sleep, traitor's and spies trying to end your characters life. You start to question if you are simply a puppet in the larger scheme, that you too are only a soldier of Bhaal to fight against the Heavens. Or if you are something more, and something else as you feel your powers constantly growing for each other Bhaalspawn you destroy.

This idea started out as a logical, easy-to-create mod, and whilst writing it just simply evolved into this-Perhaps it should be in the fan-fiction section (because this is clearly and unrealistically too much of an undertaking for someone of my caliber) but as it originally was a modification idea I am wondering if it could be kept here?

Edited by Osvir, 22 August 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#2 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Candlekeep Origins

Has been done with the start of CtB. Mostly not liked and skipped, your version might be more liked.

Melf's Forbidden Spell

Melf is a well known wizard to long time players of D&D. He is from the world of Greyhawk, not the Forgotten Realms. I think it would be best to think of a different name for your magic user.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#3 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

Check the Bodies just made you do chores. Actual depth and background could be a lot of fun. Preferably if it's not as buggy as CtB.

About the Melf idea: what about Khelben Blackstaff instead? He was one of the original Chosen, and ultimately separated from the Harpers (forming the Moonstars instead) because of his more questionable methods. The Moonstars apparently counted a vampire among their numbers, and Khelben was also known for some of his more questionable dealings with evil groups like the Zhentarim. He could certainly be an interesting candidate for a forbidden spell :)
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#4 Osvir

Osvir
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

Candlekeep Origins

@both: Yeah I know about the CtB, I did like it, however quite slow T-T what I didn't like at the end of it, was how it skipped Baldur's Gate entirely and threw me to Shadows of Amn. I don't know if I installed it incorrectly or not. But CtB is the main major inspiration to this whole idea.

Melf

@Chevalier: Yeah I know he's not from the same world. Yet his magic is well-known enough to exist within a Forgotten Realms world. That's why I thought that it could work nonetheless. But Ipsissmus mentioned this Khelben that I'll check out as well (Generally speaking: Regarding this, I would love to hear some more suggestions if you know any you know of or like)

@Ipsissmus: I'll check this Khelben out, I'm looking for a character that could be either good or evil. Actually someone who's good is better, because that person would actually take his time to "hide" the scroll. An evil character finding a powerful spell would either boast or use it. Although I might've found a solution: An evil character, practicing this powerful scroll or experimenting in a special area or magical area. Here the character gets stuck or whatnot for disturbing the forces of magic (due to the power of the spell). Although I am a bit iffy on the story at the moment, it's not finished and I do not want to spoil too much as it would ruin the whole idea.

EDIT: Oh totally forgot:

Thanks for the feedback =D

Edited by Osvir, 19 August 2010 - 10:18 PM.

#5 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:54 PM

I too thought of Khelben Blackstaff, but having read all (most all?) FR novels about Khelben, a very long lived man, the mod author would need to know about him so players would think the story would fit him.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#6 Osvir

Osvir
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:01 AM

I too thought of Khelben Blackstaff, but having read all (most all?) FR novels about Khelben, a very long lived man, the mod author would need to know about him so players would think the story would fit him.

Absolutely. I wouldn't use someone else's work without permission.

EDIT: I just came up with another idea, but I'll keep that at my HD. This way I won't need to find an actual existant mage =P Although it might refer to powerful mages and such so maybe I need to ask for permission nonetheless? (It's not like I do not want to ask for permission because I'm lazy, but it's always good to have a backup plan in case of "No, you may not use this for your mod")

Edited by Osvir, 20 August 2010 - 03:07 AM.

#7 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

Check the Bodies just made you do chores. Actual depth and background could be a lot of fun. Preferably if it's not as buggy as CtB.

What versions are you playing lately?
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#8 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

I just came up with another idea, but I'll keep that at my HD. This way I won't need to find an actual existant mage =P Although it might refer to powerful mages and such so maybe I need to ask for permission nonetheless? (It's not like I do not want to ask for permission because I'm lazy, but it's always good to have a backup plan in case of "No, you may not use this for your mod")

You don't really need specific permission for something like this. Just mention in the readme that Character X isn't yours and belongs to Wizards of the Coast/whatever author. Plus, you'd probably have a hard time contacting some of the FR authors :)

What versions are you playing lately?

It was quite a few months ago - can't recall. It was before the alchemy lesson was fixed, at any rate.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#9 -Osvir-

-Osvir-

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

@

you'd probably have a hard time contacting some of the FR authors

I think I totally totally misunderstood the following quote =P

the mod author would need to know about him so players would think the story would fit him

And now to make some sense: Of course I'll study him, it'd be a bit shallow with only his name.

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

* 1. More/Better/Detailed/Etc. attack/block/walk/run(?)/miss/critical hit/etc. animations.

* 2. Detailed monsters and monster animations (Same as 1 basically)

Not sure what you mean by "more detailed" but Infinity Animations at least provides "more". If you want to add more sequences (like for blocking) I'm not sure that's possible without inventing new animation slots (theoretically possible I suppose, given what all IA does already).

* 3. Enhanced/Detailed weapon, armor and spell animations and graphics. More and different armor, weapons, items, spells; E.G "Leather Armor" would look different both in Inventory Screen and in Field Screen. It would also look different from a Studded Leather Armor (rather than just a darker color change as it is in BGT). So basically every armor, weapon, helmet would look different from one another.

One Pixel Productions might do some of this already (like for shields and paperdolls) but otherwise, basically you'd be looking at some very detailed icon (.bam file) editing.

Portrait-morphing would have to account for mods that overwrite NPC portraits with customised ones (the majority of portrait mods do this).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#11 Phobia

Phobia

Zeke's everything

• 87 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:26 AM

Aww I wanted to know more about Sero. With a name that cool, I want to know more. :D But I guess I have to wait. :(
Left the modding forums