Photo

Need Help with CTD Please.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MyTShirtSays

MyTShirtSays
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

Hi all. First would like to say this is the first time i ever messed with any mods, or even played BG in years. Your sites been very informative and I wish I could solve this on my own but after several hours of googling and site hopping I just cant track down a fix.

My issue is after zoning into the gnoll strong hold (AR4100), I get a movie/cutscene that plays through, after the movie plays through I stare at my party for about 5 seconds or so and I then crash to desktop. From reading other post im guessing I should attach my weidu as well as baldur.err file , so here it is. Also, if I've created this post in the wrong section of forums I am sorry. I tried to search for a relevant forum topic but the search always gave a database error.

Attached Files

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

Hmm, just for fun, I'll put that to spoilers so others don't need to download it 1000 times... :D
Spoiler

OK then, what made you install the BGT-WeiDu before the The Darkest Day, Check The Bodies: 1.12, Region Of Terror, v2.1 & Shadows Over Soubar: 1.13 ?
No, I do not know if that causes the problem you have, but the most common order is: The Darkest Day v.1.13, Shadows Over Soubar v.1.13, Check the Bodies v1.12a, Region of Terror 2.1, Baldur’s Gate Trilogy(latest)...

After searching a little, I found a few correlating facts that would support that the game has a cheesed .cre file that crashes the game... so the above is not the reason for the crash... hmm, it might be that you require the .cre fixer, don't know.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 06 September 2010 - 12:03 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 MyTShirtSays

MyTShirtSays
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

Thank for at least looking into it. I been searching all around for a similar problem but havent found much except post here.

http://www.shsforums...rea-transition/

But this guy had probs going anwhere to the west of Nashkel, I've also read found different googled sites where poeple talk about just a buggy cutscene in general with no mod installed i believe. I'm not even sure which mods I have installed that affects Gnoll Stronghold are, which may help me on my search.

The reason for installing the order i did however. I spent hours over 4 days of reading and printing out notes on how/what to install and what order. Some of the suggested pre BGT-weidu mods (i cannot which of them) brought up errors/missing files,one even wouldnt install at all without bgt first. This also was the case with NJE2(which i've given up on, most mods suggest using bg2fix, and nje2 wants baldurdash), anyhow I got into the habbit I guess of installing BGT-weido first by the time I got around to this install which gave no fuss.

This is my first time playing with these types of mods files so it very well could be user error, I just remember also reading that although it was a suggested way to intsall, BGT-weidu also said it shouldnt matter.

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: ObjCreature.cpp
Line: 12162

Exp: pCreature != NULL && creatureSize > 0

Msg: no msg.
Run Debugger?

Yeah, it's probably either a buggy creature or the area script is trying to spawn one that doesn't exist. Open your ar4100.bcs with an editor that can decompile it (Near Infinity or DLTCEP) and post the contents here. Also you can try CLUAConsole:CreateCreature every creature it's trying to spawn (in a different area) to see if you can narrow it down to one that's crashing.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 MyTShirtSays

MyTShirtSays
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:55 PM

Hi again. Ok so I tried the crefixer solution to no avail.

I then loaded the Near Infinity editor that you instruct, Miloch. After a bit of playing around and reading tutorials(not used to this stuff) I was able to open the ar4100.bcs, read the source script and CLUAConsole the creatures and found my crashes, Thank You.
I'll send the script, though I am unsure of of the exporting procedure, I copied and paste it here instead of using the .baf that the exporting wanted.

---AR4100.bcs source script

IF
OnCreation()
Global("EnteredGnoll","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
StartMovie("GNOLL") // Gnoll
SetGlobal("EnteredGnoll","GLOBAL",1)
Continue()
END

IF
Global("BGTNPC4100","GLOBAL",0)
Level(Player1,1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("BGTNPC4100","GLOBAL",1)
CreateCreature("DYNAHE",[2529.1442],3) // Dynaheir
END

IF
OR(2)
Level(Player1,2)
Level(Player1,3)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("DYNAHE2",[2529.1442],3) // Dynaheir
END

IF
OR(2)
Level(Player1,4)
Level(Player1,5)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("DYNAHE4",[2529.1442],3) // Dynaheir
END

IF
LevelGT(Player1,5)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("DYNAHE6",[2529.1442],3) // Dynaheir
END

IF
Dead("Dynaheir")
!InPartyAllowDead("Dynaheir")
!Global("HelpMinsc","GLOBAL",2)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
EraseJournalEntry(74482) // Rescue Dynaheir from the gnoll stronghold. I have agreed to help Minsc rescue his friend. She is held captive at a gnoll stronghold, far west of Nashkel.
EraseJournalEntry(74483) // Rescue Dynaheir from the gnoll stronghold. Minsc is getting impatient, I must go to rescue his friend soon. He previously said that she was being held at a gnoll encampment to the west of Nashkel.
EraseJournalEntry(74625) // Rescue Dynaheir from the gnoll stronghold. A woman is being held captive in the gnoll fortress to the west! It seems likely that she is still alive as her captors apparently banished the gnoll, Ingot, upon well-founded suspicions that he might eat her.
EraseJournalEntry(74790) // Meddling mages. I have agreed to kill a witch named Dynaheir for Edwin, for a price yet to be determined. She is somewhere to the west of Nashkel, in a gnoll stronghold.
SetGlobal("HelpMinsc","GLOBAL",2)
END

IF
Global("CMaddAR5100","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("CMGNOL01",[1320.1338],3) // Gnoll Clan Leader
CreateCreature("CMGNOL01",[2848.1205],4) // Gnoll Clan Leader
CreateCreature("GNOLL_E",[1300.1351],2) // Gnoll Veteran
CreateCreature("GNOLL_E",[1390.1323],0) // Gnoll Veteran
CreateCreature("GNOLL",[1250.1305],2) // Gnoll
CreateCreature("GNOLL",[1290.1190],0) // Gnoll
CreateCreature("CMKOB01",[590.3653],3) // Kobold
CreateCreature("CMKOB01",[600.3591],4) // Kobold
CreateCreature("CMKOB02",[360.3603],6) // Kobold Clan Leader
CreateCreature("CMKOB03",[475.3637],0) // Kobold Witch Doctor
CreateCreature("CMKOB03",[360.3606],8) // Kobold Witch Doctor
CreateCreature("CMGNOL03",[3719.1301],3) // Gnoll Elite Warrior
CreateCreature("CMGNOL03",[3808.1325],4) // Gnoll Elite Warrior
CreateCreature("CMGNOL04",[3766.1405],3) // Gnoll Veteran Warrior
CreateCreature("CMGNOL04",[3748.1267],4) // Gnoll Veteran Warrior
CreateCreature("CMGNOL03",[926.879],6) // Gnoll Elite Warrior
CreateCreature("CMGNOL03",[823.944],8) // Gnoll Elite Warrior
CreateCreature("CMGNOL04",[716.1020],3) // Gnoll Veteran Warrior
CreateCreature("CMGNOL04",[816.945],1) // Gnoll Veteran Warrior
SetGlobal("CMaddAR5100","GLOBAL",1)
Continue()
END

IF
Global("CMaddBounty5100","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("CMBOU08",[3410.2316],3) // <NO TEXT> - No, I'm sorry, none of them sound familiar.
CreateCreature("CMBOU09",[3369.2314],6) // <NO TEXT> - No, I'm sorry, none of them sound familiar.
CreateCreature("CMBOU10",[3350.2229],4) // <NO TEXT> - No, I'm sorry, none of them sound familiar.
CreateCreature("CMBOU11",[3422.2251],5) // Hilgaar
SetGlobal("CMaddBounty5100","GLOBAL",1)
Continue()
END

OK, So I CLUAConsole every line that had a "CreateCreature" and the three that are causing my crash to desktop are:
CreateCreature("CMBOU08",[3410.2316],3) // <NO TEXT> - No, I'm sorry, none of them sound familiar.
CreateCreature("CMBOU09",[3369.2314],6) // <NO TEXT> - No, I'm sorry, none of them sound familiar.
CreateCreature("CMBOU10",[3350.2229],4) // <NO TEXT> - No, I'm sorry, none of them sound familiar.

createcreature:CMBOU11 doesnt crash and spawns hilgaar.

Thanks again, i hope this helps to resolve the issue.

#6 MyTShirtSays

MyTShirtSays
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:37 AM

Sorry for the double post but have been tinkering some more with the new info I have been taught how to find. Now since I've found the files causing my crash i was able to search my mods and found the three files in question:
cmbou08.cre
cmbou09.cre
cmbou10.cre

I found them inside the Dark Horizon mod. So I renamed these 3 files to .bak inside the \override and \darkhorizons\cre folders,
went inside the original downloaded DakrhorizonsBGT203.rar and pulled these three files cmbou08.cre,cmbou09.cre,cmb10.cre, and then inserted these fresh files into \override and \darkhorizons\cre game folder. Booted up the game and CLUAConsole the creatures in and no crash on any of these three anymore!!

Is this a proper fix? And thank you guys again for pointing me in the right direction on where to begin my searches, thanks a lot :)

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

Now since I've found the files causing my crash i was able to search my mods and found the three files in question:
cmbou08.cre
cmbou09.cre
cmbou10.cre

I found them inside the Dark Horizon mod. So I renamed these 3 files to .bak inside the \override and \darkhorizons\cre folders,
went inside the original downloaded DakrhorizonsBGT203.rar and pulled these three files cmbou08.cre,cmbou09.cre,cmb10.cre, and then inserted these fresh files into \override and \darkhorizons\cre game folder. Booted up the game and CLUAConsole the creatures in and no crash on any of these three anymore!!

Is this a proper fix?

It is an acceptable fix for your purpose, but other folks might run into the same thing. Could you run a weidu --change-log cmbou08.cre - or all 3, but they likely say the same thing. See Jarno's pinned topic in the megamod forum for instructions. (That topic is getting kind of obtuse though - the simplest way is just to open a cmd prompt to your game folder and type what is in bold above.) After the change-log, you'll end up with a bunch of CMBOU08.0000#.CRE files in your game folder. Might want to zip and attach those, so we can see which mod may have botched the CREs.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#8 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

Now since I've found the files causing my crash i was able to search my mods and found the three files in question:
cmbou08.cre
cmbou09.cre
cmbou10.cre

Is this a proper fix?

It is an acceptable fix for your purpose, but other folks might run into the same thing. Could you run a weidu --change-log cmbou08.cre - or all 3, but they likely say the same thing. See Jarno's pinned topic in the megamod forum for instructions. (That topic is getting kind of obtuse though - the simplest way is just to open a cmd prompt to your game folder and type what is in bold above.) After the change-log, you'll end up with a bunch of CMBOU08.0000#.CRE files in your game folder. Might want to zip and attach those, so we can see which mod may have botched the CREs.

I've seen folks have trouble with those particular .cre before.

http://www.shsforums...post__p__467512

http://forums.chosen...g19147#msg19147
Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#9 MyTShirtSays

MyTShirtSays
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:50 AM

Ok, Heres the weidu change log for the three files cmbou08.cre,cmbou09.cre and cmbou10.cre.Miloch you mentioned when i do this I should get a "bunch" of files and and possibly zip it. All I got was one file for each in my game folder and all three files combine for a size of 4kb. I hope smaller is better lol. Also i was able to fully cleart out Gnoll stronghold and do my quests involving the area so far with my fix, hopefully by replacing the files i didnt botch up anything else but i still have my old cmbou08-10.cre backup files also. Anyhow hope this is the info you were asking for. Tahnks again.

Attached Files

#10 MyTShirtSays

MyTShirtSays
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:07 AM

Sry for the double post again. I forgot to mention although i was able to fully clear out the Gnoll stronghold with the fix of replacing the 3 cmbou cre files, I failed to mention that i had three enemies with their names being the text that they should spoken. I can't remember the exact text, or any of it at all, but I was attacking say
"Bane attacks Your death will be sweet" each npc i fought with a different sentence type name, which at the very least made for a very intersting battle combat log to read, heh. Dont know if this has any relevancy to what was my issue but thought it might be worthwhile to mention.

#11 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:17 AM

Sry for the double post again. I forgot to mention although i was able to fully clear out the Gnoll stronghold with the fix of replacing the 3 cmbou cre files, I failed to mention that i had three enemies with their names being the text that they should spoken. I can't remember the exact text, or any of it at all, but I was attacking say...

Well, your "fix" actually causes their names to become random string number(a random line from the game's text file), as the names are saved as string references when the installation is made and so the installer(WeiDU.exe) actually just resets them so they are what they should be. But incomplete fix is better than a crash, so if you can live with it, it shouldn't cause any other such incidents.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

Ok, Heres the weidu change log for the three files cmbou08.cre,cmbou09.cre and cmbou10.cre. Miloch you mentioned when i do this I should get a "bunch" of files and and possibly zip it. All I got was one file for each in my game folder and all three files combine for a size of 4kb. I hope smaller is better lol.

Eh... need the actual text results of the change-log, which says which mods affected the file(s). But according to your results, only one mod affected them, presumably the one that installed them (Dark Horizons I guess). But if the files copied from that mod's folder work ok, then it's unlikely that mod also botched them, unless it copied them and *then* did something to them subsequently. Which doesn't appear to be the case either.

On my own BWP install, cmbou08.cre is affected by several mods: DH, BGT Tweak, SCS, Revised Battles, SCS2 and XPMod. Also, the .cre appears ok, though DLTCEP does report "Creature will be reordered (harmless inconsistency)". I know for fact such .cre order inconsistencies aren't always harmless though. Question is: what botched it on your install. Obviously something beyond the initial mod, but maybe something like BWP cleanup purged your history if you don't get a proper change-log.

#13 MyTShirtSays

MyTShirtSays
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

On my own BWP install, cmbou08.cre is affected by several mods: DH, BGT Tweak, SCS, Revised Battles, SCS2 and XPMod. Also, the .cre appears ok, though DLTCEP does report "Creature will be reordered (harmless inconsistency)". I know for fact such .cre order inconsistencies aren't always harmless though. Question is: what botched it on your install. Obviously something beyond the initial mod, but maybe something like BWP cleanup purged your history if you don't get a proper change-log.
[/quote]

Sorry for delayed response, I've been out of town. I'd like to give you the info your wanting from my weidolog though my game is running stable now, but so you guys can possibly pinpoint the problem for other new installers but not sure how to go about getting what your asking, I'd thought I sent the correct file. My game is still running error free now since the replaced files. As for the BWP i didnt actually use BWP for any of my install. I'm happy to track down and send in whatever info you want, and dont mind taking the time fiddling about until give ya the correct files/info your looking for.

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

To do a WeiDU change-log you basically type 'weidu --change-log cmbou08.cre' at a command prompt in your game folder (or see the pinned FAQ for more complex instructions). But I think this was some sort of glitch between DH and SCS or something that presumably has been resolved by a new release so I wouldn't really worry about it unless other folks keep reporting it.

#15 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:31 PM

Its all good now, so I've been told.
Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.