GOG Offline / Back Online / Relaunch

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

[url="http://www.gog.com/"]Good Old Games[/url] has gone offline, but at the moment it's unknown what will happen next. Perhaps it's a marketing gimmick, or maybe they are having problems because their games are DRM free.

Here's their message:
[quote name='Good Old Games']Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on [url="http://twitter.com/g...gogcom"]Twitter[/url] and [url="http://www.facebook....ogcom"]Facebook[/url] for updates.

All the best,
GOG.com Team[/quote]
Latest tweet:
[quote name='http://twitter.com/gogcom']The official statement from GOG's management about the situation will be announced soon. We'll have more details about this tomorrow.[/quote]

Edited by Archmage Silver, 23 September 2010 - 07:55 AM.

#2 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

Baldur's gate is going to be released on gog. Watch this video frame-by-frame.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#3 begolf00

begolf00
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

Damn You beat me to it.On baldurs gate being there. Looks like Spellhold studios could get a shit load more people coming here looking for mods. Should be good for the community.

Edited by begolf00, 21 September 2010 - 09:15 AM.

#4 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

So the info I read about this being a marketing gimmick was true after all. Whoever came up with the idea is a moron, what were they thinking... hey, wait a minute! They didn't ask EA for help with the idea, did they?

#5 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

So the info I read about this being a marketing gimmick was true after all. Whoever came up with the idea is a moron, what were they thinking... hey, wait a minute! They didn't ask EA for help with the idea, did they?

Maybe they got the idea from Valve and Portal 2?

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#6 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

It's amazing how the realization that a particular service is run by complete and colossal morons decreses my desire to use it!

#7 begolf00

begolf00
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

It's amazing how the realization that a particular service is run by complete and colossal morons decreses my desire to use it!

Yea I know what you mean, I've bought close to 30 games from GOG and now I'm not so sure I want to use them anymore. Have to wait and see their PR announcement, maybe they will give some indication that their download service has been pretty profitable. Who ever came up with this stunt, sure was a crackpot, talk about early April Fool's. They could of done this alot better. By the way have any of you guys bought anything from there?

#8 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

I've bought 5 games from them - Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, and so on...

#9 begolf00

begolf00
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

I've bought 5 games from them - Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, and so on...

Yea I've got those ones to. It'll be nice to have the baldur gate series on GOG.

#10 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

Well, here's the rest of the "joke"...

What a bunch of drivel. Even EA and Atari have higher standards... just.

I took screencaps of the presentation. The extras listed for BG were: 2 manuals (125 pages), 5 HD wallpapers, 2 maps, soundtrack, 5 avatars, 47 artworks, 2 reference cards.

Nothing special but nice. But the game is listed as compatible with Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit), and that's more noteworthy, if they fixed it up to be compatible with most builds on said platforms.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 22 September 2010 - 10:27 AM.

#11 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

Well, they're back online, and it doesn't sound like they run a real company... I mean, how many companies pull jokes on their customers? Unless you count Atari, which is in itself a joke, but somehow I don't think that qualifies.

We know our little game with closing down the site made some of you angry. Once again we'd like to apologize to everyone who felt deceived by us closing down GOG.com without any warning and without giving you access to your games. We apologize for that from the bottom of our hearts, it was done with the best of intentions and hopefully we can make it up to you!

Articles @ "New" GOG:
The launch slightly delayed
Welcome to the brand new GOG.com
New release: Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga
GOG.com Revives Classic Hasbro-Licensed PC Games

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

None of the companies I've worked for would've had any customers if they all realised that (oh wait... none of them *did* have any customers).

I rarely quote scripture (ok, pretty much never) but hmm... are the End Times upon us?

Son of man, set thy face against Gog... and prophesy against him...

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

Does anyone know what the BG extras are about exactly? They list 5 avatars, 47 artworks - have those been released before? Everyone knows I want the portraits if they're not otherwise available.