Chair riddle

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:18 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the great game, I am old enough to have played one of the original modules as a teenager, and it is a happy blast from the past.

Here is my issue...I pilfered a page that has a riddle about a chair from a room in the inn at the start of the game. Later, I noticed it was equipable in quick slots...when I did, and used it it duplicated itself a few hundred thousand times and can then be sold for million of gold in saltmarsh....

Whats up?
Boo says, "I've been biffed in the scrote!"

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

Whats up?

Well, the item is in one of the random treasure tables the game uses to randomize treasure, the Classic Adventures mod is still based on a really old Big Picture mod combination(so the treasure tables are inherited from there)... this bug was never noticed in there(well, it could have actually been but it was never corrected before the CA was first build) and so we inherited this bug from there.

You can either cheat and sell the 26000+ scrolls or you could be honest and not...

Now to fix this(@Sir BillyBob & CA team), we probably only need to change the rndscrol.2da's "2nd" -lines "20" -scroll that is the "SCRL2I" to be something else... :cheers:

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 23 October 2010 - 05:18 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

Whats up?

Well, the item is in one of the random treasure tables the game uses to randomize treasure, the Classic Adventures mod is still based on a really old Big Picture mod combination(so the treasure tables are inherited from there)... this bug was never noticed in there(well, it could have actually been but it was never corrected before the CA was first build) and so we inherited this bug from there.

You can either cheat and sell the 26000+ scrolls or you could be honest and not...

Now to fix this(@Sir BillyBob & CA team), we probably only need to change the rndscrol.2da's "2nd" -lines "20" -scroll that is the "SCRL2I" to be something else... :cheers:

"Well, the item is in one of the random treasure tables the game uses to randomize treasure..."

Funny, it looked like a scroll with a chair riddle upon it! :-)

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

Funny, it looked like a scroll with a chair riddle upon it!

It's a bug also in the unmodded game I believe. Aurora's "Realistic Random Treasures" component should fix it (is also compatible with CA).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

Funny, it looked like a scroll with a chair riddle upon it!

It's a bug also in the unmodded game I believe. Aurora's "Realistic Random Treasures" component should fix it (is also compatible with CA).

I have never encountered this bug in the regular game. I haven't ever found a peice of paper with a chair riddle on it in SOA or TOB, or any other item that reproduced itself hudreds of thousands of times after being activated, though I don't doubt you at all...I just never ran into it.

I am runnin this game the Sorcerer's Palace class kits; specificaly the Deathknight and Sylvan Archer class...Do you suppose they will be comaptible?
I haven't noticed any glaring bug so-far.

I would also like tho know if there is any way I could put the items I have acrued by the time I complete this mod into A regulat SOA/TOB game?

Love, The Gray Mouser.

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:10 AM

I have never encountered this bug in the regular game. I haven't ever found a peice of paper with a chair riddle on it in SOA or TOB, or any other item that reproduced itself hudreds of thousands of times after being activated, though I don't doubt you at all...I just never ran into it.

It is a bug in BG1's rndscrol.2da that carried over into BGT (and apparently CA). It duplicates itself because its charges aren't set properly (shouldn't really have charges at all - shouldn't be seen at all outside TotSC and I forget even what it did there).

I am runnin this game the Sorcerer's Palace class kits; specificaly the Deathknight and Sylvan Archer class...Do you suppose they will be comaptible?

Any BG2 kit should work in any variation of BG2 (Tutu, BGT, CA) - whether it's balanced or bug-free is another issue.

I would also like tho know if there is any way I could put the items I have acrued by the time I complete this mod into A regulat SOA/TOB game?

No, not if they're specific to CA.

Edited by Miloch, 23 October 2010 - 11:11 AM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

I would also like tho know if there is anyway I could put the items I have acquired by the time I complete this mod into A regulat SOA/TOB game?

No, not if they're specific to CA.

Actually... :devil: there is a way, one only needs to export the character, export the item files(using a mode tool like NearInfinity) and then just write a mod that copies and describes the items, and then just start a multi-player game that then will have the character imported in after the beginning happens.
So my big dark orc brother, the difference here is, it can be done, and but it's not really worth it. :lol:

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 24 October 2010 - 06:16 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

Honestly, if you're going to go that far, why don't you...

just write a mod

Oh... nevermind :P.

Really though, if you're going to the extreme of importing items from a total conversion to the vanilla game, why not just write an item mod with similar (though obviously different) items? Either that or you could pimp a "CA Item Mod for BG2" idea to the CA team, but that I think they'd be unlikely to endorse it (even apart from the fact they seem to've taken a dim view of your meddling :rolleyes:). On the other hand, it could help publicise the larger conversion, and there's precedent in the way of the RTT Item Pack etc.

#9 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:07 AM

Usually kits work fine as long as they don't include unique spells. The scroll is a new one to me, it must be from the random treasure tables or exem's mod which SBB has added as an optional add in. I would advise proposing any game changing mod to either SBB or I until we get all of our bugs worked out. We will happily accept quests, NPC's and listen to ideas but unless you are willing to do the work, I really can't add more to are to do list. Things which I am picky about is things which alter my NPC's or the dozen or so items which are unique to CA. At this stage because I am still editing them and tweaking them I will not give permission for them to be modded. In the future I might let someone like Miloch use my items in an item pack but not until I finish editing them and their descriptions.

SBB might be interested in this could you post some more details in the hidden forums? Thanks!

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

In the future I might let someone like Miloch use my items in an item pack

Heh, I don't think I'll be doing that :D. I just said it might be a way to get more BGT/BWP players to try CA, by having a mini-mod they can try before installing the full conversion.

SBB might be interested in this could you post some more details in the hidden forums? Thanks!

Ok, I posted more details here.

Edited by Miloch, 24 October 2010 - 10:05 AM.