Selence question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

Do i really need Selence in my party during this Selence's Thief Stronghold quest?

She's so "modest" and "likeable" person that i sometimes have sudden urgies to kill her. He He :P Well not really. "SHE" killed Lloth and Deep Dragon. Yeah right she wasn't even near the fights. She's so much behind at exp levels that's she practicly useless not that i need her skills.

Also do i need her at Soubar? Because Charlotte is goming there and i don't have empty party slots.

Well if i really need Selence also then my must make room for her also. He He :D

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#2 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

Do i really need Selence in my party during this Selence's Thief Stronghold quest?

She's so "modest" and "likeable" person that i sometimes have sudden urgies to kill her. He He :P Well not really. "SHE" killed Lloth and Deep Dragon. Yeah right she wasn't even near the fights. She's so much behind at exp levels that's she practicly useless not that i need her skills.

Also do i need her at Soubar? Because Charlotte is goming there and i don't have empty party slots.

Well if i really need Selence also then my must make room for her also. He He :D

No Selence does not need to be in the party for the Soubar quests. I find Tomas to be a better thief anyway. Selence is mainly useful during her quests when she isn't joinable :lol: and I think she is necessary for the Thief Stronghold quests that she partakes in, at least to get access to areas and interjections from her.

You could just use her for the thief stronghold quests and drop her but my last playthrough never included Selence as an NPC nor did I attempt the thief quests and I don't feel particularly sad about either :)

Edited by Hoppy, 18 January 2011 - 10:40 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#3 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

No Selence does not need to be in the party for the Soubar quests. I find Tomas to be a better thief anyway. Selence is mainly useful during her quests when she isn't joinable :lol: and I think she is necessary for the Thief Stronghold quests that she partakes in, at least to get access to areas and interjections from her.

You could just use her for the thief stronghold quests and drop her but my last playthrough never included Selence as an NPC nor did I attempt the thief quests and I don't feel particularly sad about either :)

I though so that she's needed for Stronghold events.

Well i decided to take her to Soubar. I don't have anything else to do before Suldanessellar anyway and these stronghold events take time.

The crossing of river Chionthar was hard thing to do. Getting down to river is hard to get working but i managed eventually.

Now i'm entering to Soubar.

By the way those Hellblades are one of nastiest suprises ever for the "Packrat" like me.
Well Aurora's Great Elixir was much worse when it killed the CHARNAME and i have to reload. :devil: After that i know to save before trying something new and previously unused item.

Question about Hellblades:
Spoiler

Thank you for being so helpful as always. :coolthumb::cheers:

Update:
Spoiler

Edited by micbaldur, 19 January 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#4 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

The crossing of river Chionthar was hard thing to do. Getting down to river is hard to get working but i managed eventually.

Everyone has a problem with it. Been like that forever but I have worked out something a little more cutscene-like and I have to bring up my game files to check it and test. It will make use of the bridge building book too.

Question about Hellblades:

Spoiler

Yes they do forever for any NPC that grabs them.

Thank you for being so helpful as always. :coolthumb::cheers:

Update:

Spoiler

I do what I can and thank you. The CTD could be a problem with some imprisonment tweaks if it is a custom spell and for some reason if it doesn't get patched then it would be game over, which could be what is screwing up. I don't see why it would need to be a custom spell but I will look into it.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#5 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

I do what I can and thank you. The CTD could be a problem with some imprisonment tweaks if it is a custom spell and for some reason if it doesn't get patched then it would be game over, which could be what is screwing up. I don't see why it would need to be a custom spell but I will look into it.

Well i didn't meant to sound like CTD is Soubar's bug. It happens everytime and everywhere when CHARNAME is imprisoned. Imprisonment CTD has been many years in my game and usually take precaution in advance with Geirthan Plate or something other protection. This time it came out of nowhere and game CTD.

I shouldn't post while i'm playing. I might "say" something very bad without thinking. :P Also posts might be uninformative and give wrong impression about the problem.

English isn't my native language so i might "say" something bad without understanding it.:ermm:

I don't know do others have this Imprisonment CTD in their game. I don't remember anyone mentioned it anywhere. It could be something in my install only. I don't know and i don't have knowhow to track it down. I just play the game. ;) It's only minor thing for me and it usually doesn't bother me at all.

About the Hellblades. I reloaded the game and didn't touch those "dammed" blades. He He :D

Thans and Cheers as always. :cheers:

#6 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

OK it sounds like you have a spell bug which may be unavoidable if it is coming from a ForceSpell in a dialog or cutscene. That case will not take resistance into effect whether it is by an armor, spell or potion.

My advice is to look into fixing the spell so you won't see any more cutscene forced imprisonment actions through your very thorough playthroughs. :) Plus it might help just to see where the error lies but I will double check this anyway in case it is a custom spell.

- King Diamond

#7 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

OK it sounds like you have a spell bug which may be unavoidable if it is coming from a ForceSpell in a dialog or cutscene. That case will not take resistance into effect whether it is by an armor, spell or potion.

My advice is to look into fixing the spell so you won't see any more cutscene forced imprisonment actions through your very thorough playthroughs. :) Plus it might help just to see where the error lies but I will double check this anyway in case it is a custom spell.

You are right. I tested with Geirthan Plate. At info area it said "CHARAME - Spell Uneffect" or something like that. Then game CTD.

Baldur.err:
Spoiler

This is the first time that CTD seem to be unavoidable. Unless you don't play the Lara Croft joke.

Usually these imprisonments happens during the battles and are easy to avoid with right protection.

Only little similar thing that i remember is the Great Machine at Watcher's Keep. When you try wrong combinations you get random effects. One effect is "Black Beam" but i don't remember was it imprisonment or something else but Geirthan Plate prevented it. But i haven't tried that for many years now

One minor thing at Soubar. I can't save at Soubar (AR4230). I have to go in some house and then save there. Well it's a minor thing almost not worth mentioning.

#8 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

You are right. I tested with Geirthan Plate. At info area it said "CHARAME - Spell Uneffect" or something like that. Then game CTD.

Baldur.err:
Spoiler

This is the first time that CTD seem to be unavoidable. Unless you don't play the Lara Croft joke.

Usually these imprisonments happens during the battles and are easy to avoid with right protection.

Only little similar thing that i remember is the Great Machine at Watcher's Keep. When you try wrong combinations you get random effects. One effect is "Black Beam" but i don't remember was it imprisonment or something else but Geirthan Plate prevented it. But i haven't tried that for many years now

One minor thing at Soubar. I can't save at Soubar (AR4230). I have to go in some house and then save there. Well it's a minor thing almost not worth mentioning.

OK help me out here. Try taking the plate off and produce the imprisonment from Lara and see what happens. I need to know if something touchy with this spell or if it needs to be fixed for good. the problem I see is that it should be a game over in this case but it wouldn't be bad to allow imprisonment tweaks effect this so ones can still see the joke and cast freedom on Charname.

After actually looking at the file
Woops, looks like everyone dies and that's probably the error if you have some kind of imprisonment tweaks that allows the game to continue but you would see this anywhere with a similar usage. This is an apply spell to the character which is automatic and not battle rules where you have saves and all that real stuff.

ApplySpell(Player1,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)
ApplySpell(Player2,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)
ApplySpell(Player3,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)
ApplySpell(Player4,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)
ApplySpell(Player5,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)
ApplySpell(Player6,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)

Real stuff??? :blink: Basically, this overrides any cheats or hacks and was made to end the game by killing (imprisoning) the whole party.

That's a game over but I might do something for the fans in the next release. Doesn't make sense to alter it as there aren't any more dialog options to go from there. :mellow:

RE: Saves

There is usually something going on whether seen or unseen that makes you unable to save in the town areas. Scripts or character actions would be one thing but nothing that is going to get altered for fear of screwing something up royally. Rest or save in one of the ridiculous number of bars! :lol:

- King Diamond

#9 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

OK help me out here. Try taking the plate off and produce the imprisonment from Lara and see what happens. I need to know if something touchy with this spell or if it needs to be fixed for good. the problem I see is that it should be a game over in this case but it wouldn't be bad to allow imprisonment tweaks effect this so ones can still see the joke and cast freedom on Charname.

After actually looking at the file
Woops, looks like everyone dies and that's probably the error if you have some kind of imprisonment tweaks that allows the game to continue but you would see this anywhere with a similar usage. This is an apply spell to the character which is automatic and not battle rules where you have saves and all that real stuff.

ApplySpell(Player1,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)
ApplySpell(Player2,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)
ApplySpell(Player3,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)
ApplySpell(Player4,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)
ApplySpell(Player5,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)
ApplySpell(Player6,WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT)

Real stuff??? :blink: Basically, this overrides any cheats or hacks and was made to end the game by killing (imprisoning) the whole party.

That's a game over but I might do something for the fans in the next release. Doesn't make sense to alter it as there aren't any more dialog options to go from there. :mellow:

RE: Saves

There is usually something going on whether seen or unseen that makes you unable to save in the town areas. Scripts or character actions would be one thing but nothing that is going to get altered for fear of screwing something up royally. Rest or save in one of the ridiculous number of bars! :lol:

Previous times i had CHARNAME only at Lara now i had whole party for this test.

The whole party gets imprisoned. Then screen went black and you hear Windows error windows sound but i don't see the window because screen is still black. Alt-Tab to Windows. TobEx window has a message same as Baldur.err above post. Then i have to close Baldur's gate. After few seconds windows ask to send a error report to Microsoft and i decline.

I don't know how to add sound effects to the post yet but it error sound sounded like KLING or KLANG you know. He He :P

About save thing it isn't a big deal i just mentioned it.

#10 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

Can I look at your Weidu log?

- King Diamond

#11 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

Can I look at your Weidu log?

Of course.

Weidu log:
Spoiler

Update:

I also add this file version.
Attached File  WeiDU.log   66.82K   350 downloads

Edited by micbaldur, 21 January 2011 - 11:19 PM.

#12 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

~VIC.TP2~ #0 #6 // Romance Friendly Imprisonment(by Galactygon): v2.0 BWP Fix
~TB#TWEAKS/TB#TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #150 // Imprisonment Fix. (v2.10): TB#Tweaks, V 2.30 
~P5TWEAKS/SETUP-P5TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #30 // Drop Items on Imprisonment: v5.1

One of these might cause a problem here and the only thing you are not able to see is the vanilla death scene, which would result in a reload anyway. I can run a test on my local install which only has the TB#TWEAKS version to see if maybe too many tweaks is a cause.

I could apply something to just imprison the party member in the dialog conversation also but that goes against the mod's intentions, I think. If only the dialog affected player is caught by imprisonment, it leaves no other dialog options with Laura as if nothing would have happened. Not sure what i will do if I do anything. Thanks for the report and the log.

- King Diamond

#13 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

~VIC.TP2~ #0 #6 // Romance Friendly Imprisonment(by Galactygon): v2.0 BWP Fix
~TB#TWEAKS/TB#TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #150 // Imprisonment Fix. (v2.10): TB#Tweaks, V 2.30 
~P5TWEAKS/SETUP-P5TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #30 // Drop Items on Imprisonment: v5.1

One of these might cause a problem here and the only thing you are not able to see is the vanilla death scene, which would result in a reload anyway. I can run a test on my local install which only has the TB#TWEAKS version to see if maybe too many tweaks is a cause.

I could apply something to just imprison the party member in the dialog conversation also but that goes against the mod's intentions, I think. If only the dialog affected player is caught by imprisonment, it leaves no other dialog options with Laura as if nothing would have happened. Not sure what i will do if I do anything. Thanks for the report and the log.

You are probably right. I don't know anything about the matter. All i know is that i have this Imprisonment CTD for many years. I don't remember was this CTD in vanilla BG2, i've been using mods for years.

I've seen this joke so i'm not gonna try it anymore. You don't have to fix it because it not Soubar bug. The blame it somewhere else maybe in my local install only.

I'm probably going to test this Imprisonment CTD on vanilla install after i finish this run. Before i make new BWP install with some new wonderful mods also some updated mods as well.

I glad if i help you in any way.

Thank you for helping me. :coolthumb:

I'm going to start the Soubar main quest later tonight. ;)

#14 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

If you want to find the answer, you can use the spell from a vanilla game and back up your existing spell. Replace and test. If the spell still causes a problem, then I will find a fix and preferably something more compatible, if possible. Since it isn't game breaking for you it would take 10 minutes and then you might know if something else is buggered out.

I don't know if the vanilla spell works or not :unsure:

- King Diamond

#15 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

If you want to find the answer, you can use the spell from a vanilla game and back up your existing spell. Replace and test. If the spell still causes a problem, then I will find a fix and preferably something more compatible, if possible. Since it isn't game breaking for you it would take 10 minutes and then you might know if something else is buggered out.

I don't know if the vanilla spell works or not :unsure:

Okey i try.

With Shadowkeeper i did find 4 imprisonment. Innate: Demilich Trap Soul SPIN788. Then Wizard: Wizard Imprisonment SPWI910, Cutscene Imprisonment SPIN953 and Imrisonment No Save SPIN580.

I think that SPWI910.spl is battle version that causes the CTD so i try it.

Because i can't do change-log bat i did search and i did find 2 at backup folders. BG2 Fixpack and Vic.

I first i take from original backups at override folder at try with that. Then i try 2 others from game backup folders.

I report the result after i test them.

How can i easily test it?

Only way i know is to find some enemy that do the imprisonment it takes some time to find one in my saves.

Update:

Original backup override SPWI910.spl didn't CTD also from Vic backup didn't CTD. I didn't test SPWI910.spl from BG2 Fixpack backup because it's probably the same as original file.

So cause to CTD is Vic or some other mod later in install order that changes the SPWI910.spl but i don't know how test any further.

Edited by micbaldur, 22 January 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#16 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

You don't need all of the spells tested. In the dialog file it compiles to WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT, which we then find in SPELL.IDS and see 2910 WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT. 910 is the spell number and 2 refers to wizard. 1 would be innate and 3 is priest. You can see the other imprisonment spells you listed in the IDS under different numbers as well.

In the decompiled .D or .BAF file, it would be the number 2910 and then compiles to WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT. Just some background into what things are and it is really fun and exciting. :woot: No?

You can try your Refinements backup maybe or P5 tweaks? Whatever it is it is probably the Romance friendly or drop items tweak which would try to run scripts or something after the spell's effect. In this case the spell is immediate so something trying to run after everyone's dead may bugger things up.

EDIT: Well good news (sort of) and the blame for the CtD goes to Refinements' imprisonment tweak :clap: which is the only tweak I tested with and poof, crash with my custom Windows Crash sound (death sound from Fallout 1 :D ). Well that was fun :P

Edited by Hoppy, 22 January 2011 - 06:48 PM.

- King Diamond

#17 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

You don't need all of the spells tested. In the dialog file it compiles to WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT, which we then find in SPELL.IDS and see 2910 WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT. 910 is the spell number and 2 refers to wizard. 1 would be innate and 3 is priest. You can see the other imprisonment spells you listed in the IDS under different numbers as well.

In the decompiled .D or .BAF file, it would be the number 2910 and then compiles to WIZARD_IMPRISONMENT. Just some background into what things are and it is really fun and exciting. :woot: No?

You can try your Refinements backup maybe or P5 tweaks? Whatever it is it is probably the Romance friendly or drop items tweak which would try to run scripts or something after the spell's effect. In this case the spell is immediate so something trying to run after everyone's dead may bugger things up.

EDIT: Well good news (sort of) and the blame for the CtD goes to Refinements' imprisonment tweak :clap: which is the only tweak I tested with and poof, crash with my custom Windows Crash sound (death sound from Fallout 1 :D ). Well that was fun :P

Ookeey. :blink: If you say so i'll take your word for it.

Well that's sort of good news. But what now i don't have SPWI910.SPL in the Refinements backup folder and the one on Vic backup folder works no CTD in CHARNAME imprisonment in battle with lich or something that use it. Or is it some other file i'm little lost here. :blink: Or is this Lara joke CTD which little different CTD if i understand correctly. Or maybe i don't. :blink:

Well GO... oh HOPPY works in mysterious ways. He He :D

I wonder how nodody else doesn't have this imprisonment CTD. I've been using this Refinements quite long time.

#18 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

Well, since SOS is so late in the game it is hard to get to in a BWP install since many players reinstall and start over before finishing SoA. That would be one reason it has gone virtually unnoticed.

Another thing is since the mod is old it is well known (even from the walkthrough) that this dialog choice results in a game over so no one is going to try that.

Now the problem is not the spell itself being used in your combat scripts, liches casting this and your team throwing saving throws so on and so forth. The problem is that the tweaked spell can not function in this cutscene because it is an ApplySpell action which throws all rules of combat out the window. It is supposed to kill everyone and in the case with Refinements, no one is left to cast Freedom, so the tweaked spell can't function in this case.

Maybe the_bigg can explain it better than I can.

EDIT: Maybe I will change the imprisonment spell to something non-modded but you don't have to worry about this anymore. Restore your spells to their tweaked versions and I'll take care of this in SOS 1.14 and beyond. :new_thumbs:

Edited by Hoppy, 22 January 2011 - 10:05 PM.

- King Diamond

#19 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

Well, since SOS is so late in the game it is hard to get to in a BWP install since many players reinstall and start over before finishing SoA. That would be one reason it has gone virtually unnoticed.

Another thing is since the mod is old it is well known (even from the walkthrough) that this dialog choice results in a game over so no one is going to try that.

Now the problem is not the spell itself being used in your combat scripts, liches casting this and your team throwing saving throws so on and so forth. The problem is that the tweaked spell can not function in this cutscene because it is an ApplySpell action which throws all rules of combat out the window. It is supposed to kill everyone and in the case with Refinements, no one is left to cast Freedom, so the tweaked spell can't function in this case.

Maybe the_bigg can explain it better than I can.

EDIT: Maybe I will change the imprisonment spell to something non-modded but you don't have to worry about this anymore. Restore your spells to their tweaked versions and I'll take care of this in SOS 1.15 and beyond. :new_thumbs:

Well i'm not worried about SoS Imprisonment CTD anymore i know that you are going to take care as you see fit. :coolthumb:

But if delete SPWI910.SPL from Vic backup folder i still get the Battle Imprisonment CTD not the reload screen so i leave that file to override. I still probably continue to use Geirthan Plate at battles.

This Battle Imprisonment CTD seems to as mysterious as the GINPACHI cre-file CTD which i did have few months ago. It never got solved what's the cause of it. Or maybe it did. I don't know because i didn't understand much of what Miloch did or said. :blink:

Well i'm no modder and probably never will be. I'm just hardcore player and always will be. :D

Many thanks as always. :Bow:

#20 -maximus-

-maximus-

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

I have also been having the imprisonment ctd for years, so you are not alone. :lol: That was a fascinating converstation with Hoppy. As you both described the spell is messed up, and I have encountered it a lot with high level mages and liches throughout the game. Like Hoppy said, it is something with refinements that I couldn't fix. (Also had problems with petrification, in the end just didn't install that)

What I tried to narrow down the options was:

1)Don't install Pro5Tweak - this didn't help (it would drop the items if the spell worked)
2)Don't install BigTweaks - this allows you to get imprisoned (and ends game if its the pc)
3)Put the original imprisonment spell SPWI910.SPL back into override folder after the install finished (along with the Pro5Tweak)

That seems to work for now. Sometimes the items that protect against that spell type (abjuration?) don't work, but enrage/beserk do work. In the end have Korgan/Minsc attack, or if you have an item that beserks you try that. If they blast you with imprisonment and you don't expect it, then its time to reload... :lol: