Photo

DSotSC 10 years later...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CuChoinneach

CuChoinneach
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is CuChoinneach (pronounced Ka-hun-yik). I am the original designer of DSotSC.

I never would have dreamed that when I first hooked-up with TeamBG in 1999 and started work on DSotSC that it would still be around in 2011 and still being updated and improved upon.

I haven't played BG in about 9 years and after playiing DnD online for a while I thought I would go back to the best and play BG again. I am glad to see it has been integrated into BGT.

I love seeing the BGII improved graphics being used and I love the new NPC portraits for DSotSC NPCs. A lot of progress has been done and I like what I see.

I was very pleased to see the BGII dragon being used on the DSotSC dragon quest instead of the green wyvern I was forced to use in the original release. I haven't been all the way through it yet, But I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has kept DSotSC alive! It's great to see it is still being played!

CuChoinneach

Designer/Director of the first unofficial add-in game modification for Baldur's Gate, "Dark Side of the Sword Coast".

#2 salomonkane

salomonkane
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

Time passes, but success remains ...
Quo Vadis ?

#3 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:50 AM

:Bow: :Bow: :Bow:

Actually, we must really thank you for this mod, which is really awesome, despite the fact that you didn't have all resources and knowledge (actually, what we know now often comes from what you did for your first, early mods) which exist now for modding.

:Bow: :Bow: :Bow:

ps: please tell us if you notice any change from the original version that you don't like...

Edited by Turambar, 12 March 2011 - 02:01 AM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:45 AM

It does amaze me how much content this mod implemented without the help of modern tools, the IESDP, etc.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 CuChoinneach

CuChoinneach
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

hehe, almost everything was done with hex editing... lol. I love all the tools that are out now. Been looking them over.

I went through everything (finally finished today) and there are a couple of things I would change, but not improvements that had been made but changes to original content that was there from the beginning. I'm glad the drow are actually the drow creatures from BGII and not the re-colored elves I originally used. I may make a list on a later date of changes... a part of me just says leave it just the way it is.

We did have a lot of fun building, experimenting and just guessing at a lot of it. We tried to do some things that hadn't been done in the original BG like having a weapon made, or having a permanent animal companion (my damn dog... lol) that was probably the toughest thing in the mod to make work.

Anyway, I really don't have much time for modding but if I do think I will enjoy playing some of the newer mods when I get a chance.

BTW, for those who haven't read the book in the Drow quest library I thought it would be nice to read...The History of the Dark Side.

----------------------------

History of the Dark Side

A long time ago a wise mage by the name Roach happened upon the young elf CúChoinneach. Roach saw in this young elf the true spirit of adventure and proceeded to ask him to take a long journey. This journey descended into the mysteries that lie hidden in the Swordcoast. Roach knew that there was much more here than met the eye. With Roach's guidance and encouragement, CúChoinneach begin to uncover the many dark stories that still lie hidden beneath the surface of the idealic setting of the Coast Road Way. He spent many a sleepless night trying to cast just the right Hex to reveal yet another mystery. Sometimes he would succeed, much to his surprise. Yet, other times his failure would be miserable and disheartening. He also had to deal with the fact that many said the Dark Side didn't exists, or if it does, it's better left to a more seasoned adventurer. But, CúChoinneach paid them no mind and continued the search.

During his journey, CúChoinneach met a range of unique individuals that, in thier own way, had contributed to Roach and CúChoinneach's discoveries. Among these colorful denizens of the Sword Coast was a man known simply as Ken the Baker, though he is not a Baker, no one really knows how he got that name. He is often found in the Jovial Juggler in Beregost, usually right after a big victory by Team Baldur's Gate. Ken, as some call him, too believed that many mysteries lie hidden in the Sword Coast and started his team of "Hexers" to begin research of these mysteries. Among these hexers were enchanters, illustionist, and representatives from just about every school.

One of these individuals went simply by the name of Banelord. He was able to show CúChoinneach some of the finer points of Hexing, but a short time after that Banelord faded from the scene. Rumours abound as to the reason for his quick departure, but nothing has ever been confirmed.

The list continues to grow as the journey continues...

Credits:
Original Concept by Roach
Story Development by CúChoinneach and Roach
Areas and Creatures Designed and Hexed by CúChoinneach
Darkside Logo created WoRm
Items created by a large number of hexers that is too numerous to list here....(Also, CúChoinneach doesn't wish to leave anyone out. But if you go to the TeamBG site you can visit the TeamBG partner sites and find the creator of your favorite item.)
Sounds for Jet'Laya, Keiria Silverstring and Conchobhair Strongblade, edited by Grog
NPC Jet'Laya was created by Grog
All other NPC's were created by CúChoinneach
Voice and Bio for Ferthgil Trollslayer provided by Gothmog of the Stonehearth Clan.
Original Icons for some of the items were created by WoRm Website and Publicity by Ken Baker.

None of this would not have been possible if it weren't for Ken Baker and the creation of TeamBG. TeamBG allowed the coming together of minds and provided the ingredients necessary for a successful brew!

Finally a quick thank you to Gustov Montessie who has been a major contributor of editors and other programs that make it possible to create a number of the items and spells. And thanks to all the TeamBG Partners.

Special thanks to Black Isle Studios, Bioware Corp., Interplay Productions, and all of the individuals who were involved in the creation of Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast. Without any doubt the greatest CRPG ever created, and without which I would not have created DSotSC.

My last thank you goes to you! The adventurer that who is reading this and was able to find it stashed in a bookcase somewhere in the Dark Side of the Sword Coast. Now get out there and bust some heads ye "Greedy Goblins!"

CúChoinneach

Designer/Director of the first unofficial add-in game modification for Baldur's Gate, "Dark Side of the Sword Coast".

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

One thing the mod really could use is more dialogue for the NPCs. Most players probably don't keep them around long because they don't talk much. I did put in a component for BG1-style interparty banter (based on their existing soundclips) but some extra dialogue would be a great addition.

Oh, and CúChoinneach could use some re-recorded soundclips :). They're a bit scratchy and distorted - others like from Ferthgil and Jet'laya don't have this issue. (Edit: At one point we attempted to "remaster" the clips with software like Audacity, but that only goes so far.)

Edited by Miloch, 14 March 2011 - 03:26 PM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

I like Jet'laya :wub: :naughty: A romance would be really cool!!!!

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#8 CuChoinneach

CuChoinneach
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:20 AM

I agree... that would be nice to add some dialog. Jet'laya was also my favorite... woohoo... "Would you stop touching me?!" lol

#9 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:31 AM

I add my hat to the creator of the "very first mod" :)

I can't play a game without DSotSC installed ;)

I hope we can enjoy "all our works" in years from now as well :P :P :P

Cheers!
mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#10 CuChoinneach

CuChoinneach
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Melkor... I am really enjoying all the progress that has been made in BG Modding since the Dark Ages. Impressive I must say! I can see a lot of amazing possibilities with all the new expansions.

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:06 AM

I am really enjoying all the progress that has been made in BG Modding since the Dark Ages. Impressive I must say! I can see a lot of amazing possibilities with all the new expansions.

Perhaps it might even tempt you to try your hand at modding again? :D

#12 CuChoinneach

CuChoinneach
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:43 AM

I am really enjoying all the progress that has been made in BG Modding since the Dark Ages. Impressive I must say! I can see a lot of amazing possibilities with all the new expansions.

Perhaps it might even tempt you to try your hand at modding again? :D

Hehe... you never know. I do have some ideas kicking around... just don't know if I have the time. :)