Photo

Baldur's Gate 3?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 ARKdeEREH

ARKdeEREH
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

If this game were to really take place 30 years later, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I think it would be an interesting addition if the PC had children and those children could be NPCs that could join the party, or at least affect the game in some way. Also, it would be interesting if Sarevok could be brought back to the city of Baldur's Gate as an NPC. His interaction with the city could make for an interesting story-line in itself.

Right. You do realise there are people who choose to make their PC to be a god rather than a mortal. What possible story can come out from that ending then? Let the great saga end in peace. There is nothing wrong with story that's ended. I would hate to see BG series to turn into one of those drag-on-to-get-more-money.

I didn't like the ending because I had to choose between breaking up with Viconia to become a god or becoming mortal and staying with her for a few years only for her to be murdered. Viconia is my favorite NPC, so I really cared what happened to her by the time I finished TOB and thought those choices were a terrible way for the game to end. I personally would have preferred to become a god, stay with Viconia, and have her not be murdered, but unfortunately that wasn't an option. I think it would still work for the game to continue even if the PC did become a god. S/he could potentially have conflicts with other gods, for instance.

Also, I know from reading the Drizzt novels that sometime after the BG storyline ended there was an event on Faerun called the Spellplague that severely messed up magic and caused the avatars of some gods, Lolth for instance, to wander around Faerun similar to how Bhaal did around the time he was killed. The PC could be a god that was forced to roam Faerun because of the Spellplague, and therefore lost some but not all of of his/her powers as a result. There could also be the option of continuing as a mortal, which could have the advantage of not having enemies of the god trying to kill him/her while s/he is weakened.

Edit: I don't see the conflict in having the PC's children be playable NPCs if the PC became a god. Obviously gods can have children or else the PC and all the other Bhaalspawn would never have existed. If you didn't want to actually play as the PC from BG1 and 2 then maybe there could be an option to play as the PC's half-god child, who might have powers similar to the PC in the earlier games and would be leaving home as a young adult to make his/her way in the world, which is what most young adults do. In a fantasy setting such as Faerun, this could lead to adventuring.

Personally, I would find it more interesting to continue playing as the same character and with the same party, but with the PC's child becoming a playable NPC, however, I can see the option of making the child of the BG2 PC into the BG3 PC being an enjoyable game as well and one that wouldn't conflict with any existing storyline from the previous games.

Edited by ARKdeEREH, 05 November 2011 - 04:24 AM.

#42 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:31 AM

DnD universe is interesting enough to create another game without dragging on Bhaalspawn saga. Besides, why should it be named BG3 if it's not about the Bhaalspawn? Say if some developer decides to develope BG3. They would not use Infinity Engine. It would feel completely different to original BG saga. Most of games these days are fully voiced, which will also not feel like original BG saga. Why bother calling it BG series then?

Edited by princesspurpleblob, 05 November 2011 - 04:32 AM.

#43 ARKdeEREH

ARKdeEREH
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

I just had an idea for Baldur's Gate 3 that is completely different from any ideas I've had so far. What if the PC and his/her party somehow had the imprisonment spell cast on them shortly after the end of TOB? The party could leave TOB and be traveling home, but still be together, when they have some sort of encounter with a wizard who casts the imprisonment spell. My understanding of the imprisonment spell is that it confines everyone, individually, to a small magical room where they remain conscious, but can't get out or see/hear anything from the outside world. While confined in the magical prison the prisoners do not age, need to eat, or go insane. The party would remain trapped in their magical prison until someone else happened to cast a freedom spell in the same general area where the imprisonment spell was originally cast. The incident could have taken place in a very remote area where this is unlikely to happen.

Hundreds or even thousands of years could go by. By the time someone finally casts a freedom spell everything the PC and his/her party members knew may have changed. The memory of their deeds and even the countries and cities in which they traveled may have long since ceased to exist. Everything could be completely different. Country borders could be in different places. The city of Baldur's Gate might be nothing more than ancient ruins beneath a newer city of a different name, much like the Undercity in BG1. Gods may have risen and fallen. The enmity between the surface races and those in the Underdark might be a distant memory or entirely forgotten, or maybe one long since conquered the other. Basically, any number of major political/religious frameworks of Faerun may have changed in the time the party was magically imprisoned. Maybe in this new age earlier social conditions are reversed. Maybe drow are the paladins of the future and humans are the evil race that lurks in caves, or maybe both races went extinct so long ago that they are nothing more than a curiousity in archaeological excavations. Everything will be new and strange to the party and they will feel the need to stick together as they explore the strange new world in which they find themselves. Their concepts of morality may not mesh with futuristic ideas and they frequently find themselves in conflict with the new order.

Anyway, that was just an idea I had last night that I thought would make an interesting premise for a future Baldur's Gate game. It would entail importing the entire party from the end of TOB into the BG3 game. I thought it might be of interest.

Edited by ARKdeEREH, 08 November 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#44 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

being Imprisoned? by that silly spell? this had to be Elmister himself.
after ToB most people ends up being a demigods.
Harpens tried that trick once... didnt end up well.

ico_0000_FB_png.pngico_0005_TW_png.pngico_0006_YT_png.pngico_0002_IDB_png.png

#45 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

I just had an idea for Baldur's Gate 3 that is completely different from any ideas I've had so far. What if the PC and his/her party somehow had the imprisonment spell cast on them shortly after the end of TOB? The party could leave TOB and be traveling home, but still be together, when they have some sort of encounter with a wizard who casts the imprisonment spell. My understanding of the imprisonment spell is that it confines everyone, individually, to a small magical room where they remain conscious, but can't get out or see/hear anything from the outside world. While confined in the magical prison the prisoners do not age, need to eat, or go insane. The party would remain trapped in their magical prison until someone else happened to cast a freedom spell in the same general area where the imprisonment spell was originally cast. The incident could have taken place in a very remote area where this is unlikely to happen.

Hundreds or even thousands of years could go by. By the time someone finally casts a freedom spell everything the PC and his/her party members knew may have changed. The memory of their deeds and even the countries and cities in which they traveled may have long since ceased to exist. Everything could be completely different. Country borders could be in different places. The city of Baldur's Gate might be nothing more than ancient ruins beneath a newer city of a different name, much like the Undercity in BG1. Gods may have risen and fallen. The enmity between the surface races and those in the Underdark might be a distant memory or entirely forgotten, or maybe one long since conquered the other. Basically, any number of major political/religious frameworks of Faerun may have changed in the time the party was magically imprisoned. Maybe in this new age earlier social conditions are reversed. Maybe drow are the paladins of the future and humans are the evil race that lurks in caves, or maybe both races went extinct so long ago that they are nothing more than a curiousity in archaeological excavations. Everything will be new and strange to the party and they will feel the need to stick together as they explore the strange new world in which they find themselves. Their concepts of morality may not mesh with futuristic ideas and they frequently find themselves in conflict with the new order.

Anyway, that was just an idea I had last night that I thought would make an interesting premise for a future Baldur's Gate game. It would entail importing the entire party from the end of TOB into the BG3 game. I thought it might be of interest.

.... WTF are you on about? That's just absurd... just let it go. Jesus.

#46 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:48 AM

May the game series die peacefully.
Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying

#47 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

you know, i gave this topic some serious thinking and i change my words.
its not about Baldurs Gate that i loved and still love so much. Its storyline was never that bright for me.
its the engine. detailed, atmosphearic graphics.
it somehow reminds me of Eye of the Beholders trilogy, Ishtar, Realms of Arcania, Black Crypt.
its just that "Old Style RPG" that keeps me comming back over and over - even when i have the whole game preety much memories.

Edited by Irbis, 09 November 2011 - 01:18 AM.

#48 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:53 AM

It doesn't have a saving throw, anyone could do it!
And I kinda hope the potential BG3 will be more like Dark Alliance...

#49 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:08 AM

yup. and its casting time is 9 if i remember corectly. +the caster must be right next to me, within touch range.
i have a rich imagination but i fail to imagine me letting an enemy that close and giving him so much time.
any 20lvl wizard have the means to cast this spell. but i would not give any of them the oportunity ;)
even the Elimister himself would have a very hard time trying.
so yea, i agree. anyone could try :]

Sorry for Offtopic btw ^^

Edited by Irbis, 09 November 2011 - 02:09 AM.

#50 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:02 AM

So maybe... it was a betrayal! :o Or a demilich! Or a dlc-added demilich NPC betrayal!

#51 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

So maybe... it was a betrayal! :o Or a demilich! Or a dlc-added demilich NPC betrayal!

i have no friend :(
i play solo :D Staff of Magi Spell Trap cast time after time. This absorbs at least 3 hits before i can go down and by that time anybody who attacked is already dead (or in case of demi-lich MORE dead XD )

#52 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:02 AM

... You can't be serious... Dark Alliance is like... crap... besides, there are other games out there like Dark Alliance. There's DA2, NWN2. kgo.

#53 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:12 AM

Dark Aliance? GOD forbidens!!!
Call me loony but i miss 2D game engines :(
i am really feed up with all this 3D, antialiasing, azitroph filtering, AAA graphics, bloom, bump mapping, shaders and rest of all that hard to spell words and terms :D
i remember Black Crypt. its content beats the crap out of any modern rpg.

#54 Anduin Shadow Mantle

Anduin Shadow Mantle
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:16 AM

I like the idea of a remastered BG... They could add BG3 at the end. But I seriously think modding is the way forward. And BiG World allows you to add so much stuff, it feels like you BG3 is already here.

BUT

The after story is pretty obvious... Simplified outcomes at the end of BG-ToB
- You become the new god of murder.
- You deny godhood and don't become the god of murder.

WELL... This can cause a few problems. I think the story should continue (I feel, at the same time, this is somehow sacriliegous) with AO, the creator god getting slightly narchy with you.

The year is 1372 DR, 4 years past the events of ToB. Below Baldur's Gate in the ruins of the temple of Bhaal, Religous fanatics murder an innocent (perhaps a monk from Candlekeep). They invoke your name, dedicate the old temple to you! (you being a god or otherwise) The worshipping murderes recieve no power, no divine might in return for there sacred duty. However, the demigod Iyachtu Xvim, demon son of Bane, is watching. He is after a little more power... something to add to his portfolio... something to push him over the edge... He calls for a meeting with AO. He discredits your position as the keeper of the portfolio of murder. AO agrees. You are summoned (don't matter if your a god or a mortal) You failures laid bare. You are cast out. Your memories erased, and you are abondoned on your temples steps. However it does not all go Xvims way, AO grants Imoen the portfolio of muder, making Imoen a god! Heya!

Luckily you are discovered by some old friends, (Minsc and Boo! Although I think maybe Saverok or similarly evil alignment character may be found more easily next to an evil temple for murder, hmmm?) Zhent agents abound in the city of Baldur's Gate and you are being hunted down. Iyachtu Xvim is angry, but he has subverted Imoen somehow, SHE realy is acting like a god of murder! And Xvim subtley directs Imoen to use her new power in destroying the old god of murder, ie YOU. Zhents and evil murdering cultists take over several towns in the area... making you life even more difficult.

You need to get to Imoen and save her soul and if possible destroy Xvim before its too late... But there are rumours that something worse could happen... If a god of murder... murderes another god... Then a whole lotta carnage is gonna result.

WELCOME BACK BANE! Muhahahahaha!

Just my thoughts. Floggin a dead horse really. :rolleyes:

You could continue as epic... or really start all over again with this story line, with old friends becoming fat and and lazy, not the honed killers they were 4 years back.

Anyways.... not gonna happen.

#55 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

... You can't be serious... Dark Alliance is like... crap... besides, there are other games out there like Dark Alliance. There's DA2, NWN2. kgo.

I am serious! Both Dark Alliances were fun to play and weren't an eyesore, unlike regular BG.

Iyachtu Xvim

Wasn't he already dead in 1372?

#56 Anduin Shadow Mantle

Anduin Shadow Mantle
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:40 AM

Actually no...

According to my "Grand History of the Realms" Xvim dies by having Bane burst forth from his skin... killing him. Not sure what events led up to that...

BUT we can always endorse a bit of Bhaalspawn involvment. :lol:

All this happened in... you guessed it... 1372 DR Year of wild magic.

Edited by Anduin Shadow Mantle, 10 November 2011 - 06:41 AM.

#57 Anduin Shadow Mantle

Anduin Shadow Mantle
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:48 AM

I wonder what would happen if a god of murder was murdered...

Think I'm murdering the story.

Need to forget about it and leave alone...

Did you see how crap Neverending story II was! :whistling:

#58 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

I am serious! Both Dark Alliances were fun to play and weren't an eyesore, unlike regular BG.

actualy i think the exact opposite. 3d graphics ages hiper fast, when 2d stays almost as fresh as new, eventualy you just need a higher resolution but thats it

#59 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

I LOL'ed.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#60 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:36 PM

I LOL'ed.

oh i done that too but didnt wanted to sound so... "direct" if you know whate i mean :D
and make fun of me but i think that BG1 area graphics are better then BG2 ones.
Like.... Beregorst. My favorite town. Which actualy felt like a town. couldnt find anything like that in Bg2. And the Baldurs Gate city? the amount of details just rapes my mind!