[SOLVED] What the...?!? er.... Help?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

Ok, so...

Everything's fine up until the installation of the Kivan and Deheriana (aka Kivan of Shilmista) mod. I never had any issues with it before, and it's been in my install list since the very first time I've been using BWP a few months ago.

At one point during its installation process, everything gets messed up. I get pages upon pages of gibberish. It eventually emits a bunch of *beep* sounds, the install procedure apparently halted (that's when I went to check out my PC).

At first, I thought that one of the few mods I've added to my selection since my previous attempt was to blame because it would've been a non-English mod. According to the BWP 9.9 manual, all my mods are English-enabled.

I'm hoping it was just a freak accident and that it won't occur in my next attempt, but since there was a s**t-load of gibberish in there, I'm not taking any chances.

Here are 3 files that I hope to be helpful, plus a .txt version of my mod selection list. The BiG World Debug.txt file was over 37MB in size, so I had to zip it.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by JohnMoonlord, 31 March 2011 - 02:42 AM.

"Alright, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what has the humans ever done for us!?"

#2 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

But shouldn't we wait for the Big World Setup to be updated for the 9.9 version to attempt to make an install? I also wanted to make an 9.9 install this morning but noticed that the BWS still uses the outdated 9.8 links so I think it doesn't work correctly yet.

Edited by dreamer2007, 30 March 2011 - 12:45 AM.

#3 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:09 AM

I assume the BWP 'helpfully' upgraded your oggdec.exe version; since the oggdec developers are morons and decided to change command-line synthax between versions, BWP's 'helpful' version bump caused Kivan's scripts to misbehave and print the decompressed WAV file to the console rather than being saved to disk.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#4 Zhakar

Zhakar
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:52 AM

So, is there any way to fix this?

#5 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:33 AM

I assume the BWP 'helpfully' upgraded your oggdec.exe version; since the oggdec developers are morons and decided to change command-line synthax between versions, BWP's 'helpful' version bump caused Kivan's scripts to misbehave and print the decompressed WAV file to the console rather than being saved to disk.

That would be the second "helpful" thing it does that I could've done without. :P

What's the oggdec.exe exaclty? Does each mod have it or is it added to their folders by BWP?

Should I wait for the BWS to show the 9.9 updated selection list, like Dreamer suggested, eventhough the mods it downloaded were actually up to date?

Thanks
"Alright, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what has the humans ever done for us!?"

#6 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:37 AM

Yes, the BWP is very 'helpful' - although I suppose I shouldn't complain too much, given the scope of the project and the amount of support I should've given but haven't.

Oggdec converts OGG files to WAV, to help reduce the mod download size (an average NPC mod contains ~60 MB of WAV, which compress down to ~15 MB of OGG). Mods usually contain oggdec in their mod folder, but the BWP will overwrite each mod's version of oggdec with the latest one (and apparently fail to adjust the mod's script, at least in Kivan's case).
By the way, the end result would be that Kivan's WAV files will not be installed; this causes his lines not to be voiced, but will not cause crashes or other 'hard' problems (at least on Windows).

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#7 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:53 AM

Yes, the BWP is very 'helpful' - although I suppose I shouldn't complain too much, given the scope of the project and the amount of support I should've given but haven't.

Oggdec converts OGG files to WAV, to help reduce the mod download size (an average NPC mod contains ~60 MB of WAV, which compress down to ~15 MB of OGG). Mods usually contain oggdec in their mod folder, but the BWP will overwrite each mod's version of oggdec with the latest one (and apparently fail to adjust the mod's script, at least in Kivan's case).
By the way, the end result would be that Kivan's WAV files will not be installed; this causes his lines not to be voiced, but will not cause crashes or other 'hard' problems (at least on Windows).

Indeed, the project is huge and I'm impressed that someone even came up with the idea in the first place, with the will and energy to back it up! And despite the setbacks, I'm well aware that the results, if not perfect, are mighty impressive.

Thanks for the explanations. So what are my options now?

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:03 AM

Get a decent version of oggdec as posted here. I thought I cautioned pretty strongly against using some other version, but apparently whoever included the fix didn't read this (maybe I needed to put it in all-bold, all-caps, 18-point font):

Do not execute this code with the (alpha?) version of oggdec packaged with the mod or your computer will crap itself when the code tries to send an -o option to oggdec. You'll need v1.0 or later. I recommend vorbis-tools-1.0.1-win32.zip from here. There are later versions but they're bigger files without adding any functionality we need (as far as I know). Converting the sounds to the game's natively compressed WAVC format would be the best solution in my opinion, but this works with the existing OGGs.

I don't know why they removed this functionality from later versions of oggdec, but I think its development "forked" at some point, so the latest isn't necessarily the greatest.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:25 AM

Get a decent version of oggdec as posted here. I thought I cautioned pretty strongly against using some other version, but apparently whoever included the fix didn't read this (maybe I needed to put it in all-bold, all-caps, 18-point font):

Do not execute this code with the (alpha?) version of oggdec packaged with the mod or your computer will crap itself when the code tries to send an -o option to oggdec. You'll need v1.0 or later. I recommend vorbis-tools-1.0.1-win32.zip from here. There are later versions but they're bigger files without adding any functionality we need (as far as I know). Converting the sounds to the game's natively compressed WAVC format would be the best solution in my opinion, but this works with the existing OGGs.

I don't know why they removed this functionality from later versions of oggdec, but I think its development "forked" at some point, so the latest isn't necessarily the greatest.

Thanks Miloch.

I've downloaded the archived file you linked. ...but I don't know how to use it. (Yes: I'm a noob.)

So what do I have to do exactly?

#10 Zhakar

Zhakar
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

So what do I have to do exactly?

I would also like to know this.

#11 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

Since the mod wasn't updated I guess the problem came up because somebody made a fix for the fixpack without adding this oggdec-thing to the fix. Will tell Leonardo.

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

Put the version of oggdec.exe from that archive into the Kivan/ogg folder (overwrite the existing oggdec) and reinstall the mod. Don't let BWS do it or it'll probably just overwrite it again with the funky version (though there should be some way to disable that in the BWFixpack or whatever it is that does the overwriting). Once the mod is installed though, it should be safe to resume BWS.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#13 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

But shouldn't we wait for the Big World Setup to be updated for the 9.9 version to attempt to make an install? I also wanted to make an 9.9 install this morning but noticed that the BWS still uses the outdated 9.8 links so I think it doesn't work correctly yet.

I had the info-mail in my box a few hours before the release and I actually read the mail when it was out. So the timetable to adjust the BWS for the release is not really big, or doesn't even exist.
Maybe you'll get an update next weekend if I have some time to spare and feel like spending it that way.
Can't guarantee it though. As far as I know, there are only a few additions, so it shouldn't be that hard to update yourself.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#14 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

I assume the BWP 'helpfully' upgraded your oggdec.exe version;

Neither the Installpack nor the Fixpack touches any oggdec.

Put the version of oggdec.exe from that archive into the Kivan/ogg folder (overwrite the existing oggdec) and reinstall the mod. Don't let BWS do it or it'll probably just overwrite it again with the funky version (though there should be some way to disable that in the BWFixpack or whatever it is that does the overwriting). Once the mod is installed though, it should be safe to resume BWS.

BWFixpack can easily handle this. Should I also replace all the other oggdec.exe with this version?
I will update Installpack and Fixpack within the next few days. It will also fix some parse errors.

#15 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

I will update Installpack and Fixpack within the next few days. It will also fix some parse errors.

First of all thank you very much for the new version! :cheers: Can't wait to install it.

Will you mention when you upload the updated files in the main BWP 9.9 thread or we just have to pay attention in the download section?

I had the info-mail in my box a few hours before the release and I actually read the mail when it was out. So the timetable to adjust the BWS for the release is not really big, or doesn't even exist.
Maybe you'll get an update next weekend if I have some time to spare and feel like spending it that way.
Can't guarantee it though. As far as I know, there are only a few additions, so it shouldn't be that hard to update yourself.

Hmm, so how do I do that? Since BWS came out I became totally reliant on it and forgot the procedures to do the downloading and unpacking myself :lol: . The times when I manually downloaded all the mods for the BWP install are a distant memory :P . Also is there a possibility that for some mods an older version will be downloaded by the BWS, and I have to check using the manual if the correct version was downloaded?

Edited by dreamer2007, 30 March 2011 - 10:31 PM.

#16 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:45 PM

Check URLs here or rather the changes. Look for URL-changes until around 14th this month, which is the last time I created a URL-update for the BWS.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#17 Karmapowered

Karmapowered
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

Karmapowered, Sie haben keine Rechte, um auf diese Seite zuzugreifen. Folgende Gründe könnten z.B. dafür verantwortlich sein:
Sie versuchen, den Beitrag eines anderen Benutzers zu ändern oder auf administrative Funktionen zuzugreifen. Überprüfen Sie bitte in den Forenregeln, ob Sie diese Aktion ausführen dürfen.
Wenn Sie versucht haben, einen Beitrag zu schreiben, kann es sein, dass Ihr Benutzerkonto deaktiviert wurde oder noch aktiviert werden muss.

This is what I am getting when I click on the links.

PS : I had to register as well.

#18 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:25 AM

Karmapowered, Sie haben keine Rechte, um auf diese Seite zuzugreifen. Folgende Gründe könnten z.B. dafür verantwortlich sein:
Sie versuchen, den Beitrag eines anderen Benutzers zu ändern oder auf administrative Funktionen zuzugreifen. Überprüfen Sie bitte in den Forenregeln, ob Sie diese Aktion ausführen dürfen.
Wenn Sie versucht haben, einen Beitrag zu schreiben, kann es sein, dass Ihr Benutzerkonto deaktiviert wurde oder noch aktiviert werden muss.

This is what I am getting when I click on the links.

PS : I had to register as well.

You managed to make an account? I'm trying to create one for half an hour :lol: .

#19 TearWiz

TearWiz
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:31 AM

These are the URL- changes since mid march (from here):
download_url: "http://www.gibberlin...omiser-v64.exe" => "http://www.gibberlin...omiser-v65.exe"
addon_url: "http://dragonshoard....a/Soundset.zip" => "http://america.iegmc...r/Soundset.zip"
download_url: "http://www.gibberlin...1npcs-v1.5.exe" => "http://www.gibberlin...1npcs-v1.7.exe"
download_url: "http://www.gibberlin.../scsII-v16.exe" => "http://www.gibberlin.../scsII-v18.exe"
download_url: "http://www.gibberlin.../scsII-v17.exe" => "http://www.gibberlin.../scsII-v18.exe"
download_url: "http://www.gibberlin...ds/scs-v17.exe" => "http://www.gibberlin...ds/scs-v18.exe"
download_url: "http://www.rosenrank...on=mods;dl=219" => "http://www.rosenrank...on=mods;dl=223"

Edited by TearWiz, 31 March 2011 - 12:58 AM.

#20 Karmapowered

Karmapowered
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:52 AM

Thank you, TearWiz :Bow:

This helps a lot.