Wanted: Fade (Co-)Writer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Silmarien

Silmarien
  • Modder
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:24 AM

Having established that people are still interested in playing Fade-ToB, and having established that both K'aeloree and I have lost contact with Mistress Elysia, and having finally managed to get BG2 working again on my current machine,

I'm looking for a (co-)writer to help me finish up Fade-ToB.

IIRC, most of the romance- and plot-related dialogue has already been written, so the focus would predominantly be on adding Fade-NPC banters and scenery dialogue. It should also be noted that Mistress E originally planned an extensive quest during which Fade would confront a former captor, but the only assets which currently exist for this are two new areas in which the quest was supposed to take place, so we have flexibility as to whether the quest should be included, not included, or included in a modified form.

Since Fade has a voice all her own - very far removed from any of my own authorial voices! - I couldn't even think of trying to finish the writing on my own. So I'd welcome help from anyone who feels they've got enough of a handle on her character to contribute a banter or two. Even if you can't commit to being a full-time (so to speak) writer for Fade, any piecemeal contributions - a couple of lines here, a banter there - would also be very welcome. For reference purposes, a copy of the current ToB alpha build (warning: bugs and all) will of course be forwarded to anyone who's interested in contributing.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:46 AM

Uhm, I'm not really good at continuing currently established characters, but if I can help you somehow, that would be a pleasure! If you need me, just let me know! If you want, I can try writing a dialogue for her and if you, Liam or anyone else believes it's off, then I can become just a tech-support or tester :)

EDIT:
Note that even if somehow my talks seem fine, they will still need proofreading!

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 04 September 2011 - 07:01 AM.

#3 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:15 AM

Kudos for the initiative, I'd like to see her finished as well. Best luck with the project. :)

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#4 -Seatroll(runet)-

-Seatroll(runet)-

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

Fade is my favorite npc mod. Sorry that i cant help you in any way, cause my english knowledge pretty sucks, and i have no idea how to use any editors, tools etc. But i really wish you luck! Good to see that mod is not forgotten. I hope to play with fade in TOB one day. :cheers:

PS. You have at least one russian Fade-fan ^_^ Hope its good news for you hehe.

#5 Mahokenshi

Mahokenshi
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:45 AM

I had just recently given up on seeing this completed. But I visited to get the latest 1pp and rogue rebalancing files, and clicked on this forum out of old habit.

I just started grad school myself, but if after five years I can finally see the ending to Fade's story, I'd be willing to help out with "piecemeal contributions." I'd have to replay Fade/see her dialogue, but I'm pretty sure I know the BG saga inside out; and I've done fanfiction/character adaptations in the past.

Fade was very much a creature of Mistress E's, but if we were only filling in gaps I think it could be done well. If nothing was written / scripted for the captor storyline, then maybe we could go the less ambitious route, at least until we have a working copy of the whole thing (and could do it later.)

At any point before this month I could have helped out with the whole thing, but such is the way of things.

Just so you know, I don't have any modding experience, beyond using Infinity Explorer to tinker with store inventories and correct corrupted cutscene scripts.

Edited by Mahokenshi, 14 September 2011 - 03:50 AM.

#6 Silmarien

Silmarien
  • Modder
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for people who've offered to help so far. I've got in touch/will be getting in touch with you soon. :)

#7 rbx4

rbx4
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:59 AM

Thanks for people who've offered to help so far. I've got in touch/will be getting in touch with you soon. :)

Good luck and much support to those who can try for this. I would try if I could but will not have the time for a few more months.

#8 Naxylldritt

Naxylldritt
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

In regards to actual content, I may not be quite as useful, but for those less code-inclined I can get their banters and dialogues in a format suitable for WeiDU. Additionally, supplementary content (items, creatures, scripts, and simple maps) is another contribution I could make. I'll probably play through Fade a time or two again when I get the chance, and after that I may feel more comfortable attempting some lines for her.

Incidentally, it's good to see this mod finally coming to a more complete stage. I'm certain I don't speak for myself when I say how much I've anticipated some form of initiative after such a hiatus.

banner.png

RNHome is now a subsidary of Finlandcycles. Check it out!

#9 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:30 AM

Was any decision made? I mean, will Fade be continued by Silmarien and someone else? Since ToB was more or less ready, it would be nice to just... finish it up...

#10 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:56 AM

It's not easy to find someone with the writing skills of Mistress Elysia, the knowledge of the character and the determination to actually finish the mod.

#11 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:07 AM

Yeah, but it was mostly finished, yeah? I mean, isn't it mostly about coding and testing now? And just filling few gaps like kick-out dialogue, fate spirit summoning etc (those which are really needed)?

#12 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:09 AM

It's more than a few gaps, unfortunately.

#13 Pixel Kaiser

Pixel Kaiser

Formerly Tameon the Dragoon

• 1425 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:16 AM

Yo, I'm late to the party and I don't know if this is still in the cards or anything, but I'm down with helping however you could use me. I'm not the best at anything really, but after all these years I almost feel personally invested in the future of Fade. I would feel terrible if I didn't offer to help. I can try and help co-write, or proofread, or whatever. If anything, K'aeloree can tell you I'll at least be persistent about it. =P

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide. It is a shame that Mistress E. has left us, but it would be a double-shame if Fade was never finished.

#14 Silmarien

Silmarien
  • Modder
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still in the midst of trying to sort out what has to be done and what's finished, but it's a going to be a slow process as I'm also in the middle of writing my doctoral thesis, a conference paper and a journal article. I will try and post some sort of stats about how much has been completed and how much still needs doing once I've sorted it out.

#15 LightStorm

LightStorm
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

This is awesome news , I was always hoping she would reappear and complete the mod and am grateful that you are completing it in her absence.

Edited by LightStorm, 24 January 2012 - 09:45 AM.

#16 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hello, while I may not be a expirenced modder (in fact a very new one), I would like to help somewhat with this mod. While I'm not going to be doing terribly much writing, I can do work on techinal stuff and mod intractions. This will be a learning expirence for me, but whatever contributions I can make to this mod I will.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#17 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:05 AM

I was wondering if Silmarien managed to check what was finished and what is to be written etc. Are those gaps big enough to prevent the new release from happening? Maybe something can be done, dunno. K'aeloree? Anyone?

#18 -CheckingIn-

-CheckingIn-

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

I just wanted to mention that there are still those of us who check the forum periodically to see if ToB version is out, even if we don't post. I don't even currently have BG2 installed on my new computer, but I'll install it again if this comes out :)

#19 Warrax

Warrax
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

So, there are a couple of different threads where I could put this, and excuse me if it's been answered elsewhere (I don't check these forums all that often) but what's going on with the Fade-ToB project?  Do you guys need more hands to help move it forward? 

#20 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

First we would need Silmarien back here :) We can go nothing but wait for him to come back, I guess.