• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

I would like to commission a sketch of a living undead creature in a tomb - most would recognise it as a "barrow-wight" (actually a Norse draugr). This drawing would be used in a possible book. It needn't be coloured; in fact, black-and-white is better (a high-contrast "pencil" sketch). It should depict a gaunt corpse-like, almost vampiric being in ancient armour (if you know Tolkien, it'd look like one of his "wights" from the Barrow Downs in The Fellowship of the Ring - these creatures were actually based on the draugar from Norse myth). The sketch should depict a passage from the Norse saga of Egil and Asmund. This relates the death of the hero Aran and his subsequent interment in a barrow-mound along with his horse, hawk and hound (extra credit if you can depict those in the background). Asmund enters the barrow mound by rope to watch over the corpse of Aran:

On the second night he [Aran] got up again from his chair, killed the horse and tore it to pieces; then he took great bites of the horse flesh with his teeth, the blood streaming down from his mouth all the while he was eating. He offered to let Asmund share his meal, but Asmund said nothing. The third night Asmund became very drowsy, and the first thing he knew, Aran had got him by the ears and torn them off. Asmund drew his short-sword and sliced off Aran’s head, then he got some fire and burnt Aran to ashes. Asmund went to the rope and was hauled out of the mound, which was then covered up again.

There is a lot of artistic license there, but I'd like it to look both "Norse" and slightly "vampiric." A successful representation will get the art printed in the book with due credit (and possibly some royalty though I can't guarantee that at this point, as book publication and sales are beyond my control).

If you are interested, please respond to me either via PM or by posting here. Also, if anyone knows of other art forums I could post this on, please let me know.

Edit: As to size, it can be a page or half page of regular paper (A4 or Letter) depending on whether you want to do it "portrait" or "landscape" style (either is fine). Obviously, it can be larger too, since it's easy to downsize if necessary but not upsize images. As to deadlines, by the end of the year hopefully, but the sooner the better.

Edited by Miloch, 01 October 2011 - 04:07 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#2 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

Did nobody ever answer this? I could take a stab at it for the moneys but I do primarily manga style art and it sounds like this is not what you are looking for. I think what you need to do is go to DeviantArt, find a popularly liked image in the style you want, go to that artists' DA homepage and then check if they are willing to take a commission from you, or their price range. Nearly EVERYONE on DA takes commissions, both professionals and not-so-professional.

For starters, if you like realism why don't you try asking http://g672.deviantart.com/ for example? :-)

Eh and this is my most recent commission
http://enkida.devian...llery/#/d4f0015

Edited by Enkida, 25 November 2011 - 10:25 AM.

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

I did get a bite and someone is working on it, but the project has grown in length and interest. So there could be room for multiple illustrations. There should be quite a bit of free reign there, but I'm willing to consider anything vaguely in a "Norse" or "vampiric" sort of theme. I think your style is good and a lot of your drawings might be within the theme as long as they're not too manga-like. For example, your warrior on the left of this drawing has a good Norse sort of look. I also want to get a drawing of a female Norse-looking vampire, scantily clad or unclad, serving dinner (sounds a bit perverse, but it is actually a scene from a Norse saga). The problem with commission is there is no budget nor can I promise anything definite up front until we have some idea of sales, but there would definitely be published credit involved.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle