Various alt NPC portraits

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#121 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Overall, this is shaping to be the best pack of edited images I've ever seen. Quite nice :) .
(I like parentheses.)

#122 -Guest_Seatroll(ru)-

-Guest_Seatroll(ru)-

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Hmm, I have no tutorials per se, but I did outline my method for BG2 portraits right here: http://www.shsforums...post__p__527965

And you can see that visually right here: http://www.shsforums...post__p__527905

Personally I use photoshop CS1 and a tablet and stylus. There is no super secret brand or method to the stylus, mine is an ancient wacom one that's well over 5 years old, I think. It still works with pressure sensitivity, though, and that's good enough for me. And to be fair, when it comes to inking, I am starting to prefer using the path tool rather than a tablet and stylus anyway. But for things like painting and colouring the tablet is still better than a mouse.

You're not the first person to ask me this so I will say this preemptively: there is no secret software, technique, brand or other easy fix to make good portraits. You can get guidelines and tips, but for the most part to make a portrait look really good it is just plain old blood, sweat, tears, and your two eyeballs and judgement. It gets better with time though, so just start doing portraits of "unimportant" NPCs and when you've done three or four, you can start on the ones that "matter" and it will be easier. and good luck, you can never have too many portrait packs for BG2 out there. ;-)

Thank you sir for your reply. :cheers:

#123 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

You're welcome!

RE: BG1 style portrait: I fixed the lighting, which was the big problem in the portrait. I puffed up his hair, because on further study, every bg1 portrait has this huge, volumonus hair, I think it helped. Finally, edited his hand size a bit and reshaped to fit better. Also some colour correcting, but that goes always... I think this one is better. :) It is still a little dark though, hrm. All of the BG1 portraits have such wonderfully violent, wacky contrast colours that it's hard to emulate. ^^;

Posted Image

Edited by Enkida, 15 December 2011 - 08:45 AM.

#124 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

Moar Edits:

Posted Image

Edited by Enkida, 15 December 2011 - 12:10 PM.

#125 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

Portrait correction: in my test game, I picked up Kelsey and realized he was too washed out, and his head was too big in comparison to other portraits. Here's the fix:

Posted Image

this is the version that would be included in the pack :)

#126 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:12 AM

Topical update !

You will not be seeing many more portraits here, but there is news

.. if you have an NPC redo request post it here and I will see if I can find time to do it

.. stay tuned for the upcoming mod Mysteries of the Sword Coast, there will be some BG1 style portraits from myself in there

.. if you are all good bunnies for Christmas, MiLeah and I will collaborate together to bring you a brand shiny new portrait project, the likes of which has never been seen before and quite possibly shall never be seen again. yes, we are just that epic! XD

last but not least if you want to keep up to date on my own work, I always keep my DeviantArt account up to date. If you can find it you can watch my works in progress

happy holidays!

Edited by Enkida, 18 December 2011 - 02:12 AM.

#127 MiLeah

MiLeah
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

AAaaahh! Super congratz on getting your Portrait pack released!! :cheers:

#128 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Wow, and to think I was gonna try and make a portrait pack.. wow, your work is awesome man!! now that I see the work here, I'm not even gonna bother as these are awesome!!

Most EXCELLENT Work man!!!!!!!!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------
My Guides:
1. How to install BWP for newbies My Guide for Spellhold on installing the BWP Mega-mod.
2. How to Install Infinity Animations for newbies My step by step guide to installing this must have mod.

Main Stuff for BWP:
1. FAQ for the Megamods The Main Megamod FAQ
2. BiG World Project The Mega Mod Installer
3. BWP Mod List The most up to date Mod list for BWP installs

Cool Stuff:
1. Baldur's Gate Trilogy - This mod alows you to play BGI in the BG ToB engine
2. Throne of Bhaal Extender This mod adds new functions to BGT games
3. All Infinity Animations Mods This mod adds new animations to the game.
4. Widescreen Mod This mod allows you to play BGT in widescreen mod
5. Generalized Biffing This mod will speed up your game allot

#129 SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:35 AM

Very impressive portraits ! Possibly the best to this date.

I was thinking about video games which have nice looking portraits and close (relatively) to the style of BGI/BGII and Koei's games (Romance of The Three Kingdoms XI, and the latest Nobunaga's ambition games) came to mind. Are you familiar with them ?

Here's a selection anyway, some are pretty cool, especially for Orinetal/Rokugan NPCs. ;)

Posted Image

Well, since you said that a large part of your work is about collage, I thought that a talented artist such as yourself could make use of certain parts (Armors, clothing, hairstyles, helmets...) for your future projects. Or maybe you could just draw some inspiration.

You can find the Chinese ones here :
http://kongming.net/11/portraits/

As for the Japanese ones :
http://photo.163.com...6802&m=0&page=1

One more thing about your mod, what if I want to keep the original portrait for one or two NPCs but still replace the others with your work ? Is it doable ? All what I have to do is to replace the bmps in the eportraits folder or it's more complicated than that ? :)

#130 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:39 AM

Of course -- during the install just choose (A)sk for each component. :) Then you can choose which portraits to install.

#131 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

Wow! First of all, what K'aeloree said. You will always have the choice to pass on portraits you don't want, just choose to ask for each one when installing. Additionally it should automatically skip on mod portraits if you haven't installed the mod in question, so it won't take you hours if you choose to go through every portrait individually. I'll make a note of that in the readme for the necpxt update. ;-)

Second of all, thanks for those Asian portraits! You can be sure I'll be using some armor from there for the next portrait project! Which is, incidentally, already underway: since you were all good bunnies for Christmas, delivery as promised: MiLeah and I are working on a brand new PC portrait pack themed around ethnicity - both real world and Faerun. It should have upwards of 50+ new and original portraits of all genders, races and ages. And if you want to be a part of it, you can! Clicky click for details. Happy gaming!

#132 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:01 AM

Moar Edits:

Posted Image

I never replied, don't know why, but this is really amazing ! :o
« Regarde moi ces émincés d'oignons, je voudrais tous les enfiler sur une corde pour m'en faire une parure ! »

#133 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hello Enkida Posted Image

I want to make a portrait for my character and do a few portrait replacers for NPCs and i wonder if you have any tutorials on how to create a BG1\BG2 style portraits? Any advices would be nice!

I use photoshop CS3.

My observation has been that artists are either unable or unwilling to divulge the specifics of "baldurizing" a portrait (meaning they don't tell you what constitutes a BG-style portrait in either the look or the color palette), but instead they show example images. The tutorials I've seen are the artists' descriptions of what they individually do when working up a portrait, but the results often don't look like BG-style to me. I hope this will someday change, as I'd like to try my hand at transforming existing images to as close to "baldurized" as possible.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#134 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

[My observation has been that artists are either unable or unwilling to divulge the specifics of "baldurizing" a portrait (meaning they don't tell you what constitutes a BG-style portrait in either the look or the color palette), but instead they show example images. The tutorials I've seen are the artists' descriptions of what they individually do when working up a portrait, but the results often don't look like BG-style to me. I hope this will someday change, as I'd like to try my hand at transforming existing images to as close to "baldurized" as possible.

Look: it's no big secret among the cabal of artists out there. There is no "way" to Baldurdize a Portrait. This is because "Baldurdized Portraits" translates to "people trying to copy Mike Sass, Matthew Goldman, Todd Grenier, Marc Holmes or Dean Anderson's personal artwork style as closely as possible, and usually failing. Why do they fail? Because none of us are Mike Sass, Matthew Goldman, Todd Grenier, Marc Holmes or Dean Anderson. Most artists will and do try to help people asking for tutorials as best we can, but when you get right down to it, we can only tell you what we do to put out portraits in our own style. If you think they match the BG style, great! If you think they don't match, you better send a mail to one of the gentlemen above asking them to make you a tutorial personally.

Sorry, but that was a kind of really offensive answer to give in my stead, especially since I already answered that person's question back when it was posted. Twice, once verbally and once later on pictorally.

#135 MiLeah

MiLeah
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

[My observation has been that artists are either unable or unwilling to divulge the specifics of "baldurizing" a portrait (meaning they don't tell you what constitutes a BG-style portrait in either the look or the color palette), but instead they show example images. The tutorials I've seen are the artists' descriptions of what they individually do when working up a portrait, but the results often don't look like BG-style to me. I hope this will someday change, as I'd like to try my hand at transforming existing images to as close to "baldurized" as possible.

Look: it's no big secret among the cabal of artists out there. There is no "way" to Baldurdize a Portrait. This is because "Baldurdized Portraits" translates to "people trying to copy Mike Sass, Matthew Goldman, Todd Grenier, Marc Holmes or Dean Anderson's personal artwork style as closely as possible, and usually failing. Why do they fail? Because none of us are Mike Sass, Matthew Goldman, Todd Grenier, Marc Holmes or Dean Anderson. Most artists will and do try to help people asking for tutorials as best we can, but when you get right down to it, we can only tell you what we do to put out portraits in our own style. If you think they match the BG style, great! If you think they don't match, you better send a mail to one of the gentlemen above asking them to make you a tutorial personally.

Sorry, but that was a kind of really offensive answer to give in my stead, especially since I already answered that person's question back when it was posted. Twice, once verbally and once later on pictorally.

[In a British Accent] Spot on! And well put! Well put indeed! :clap:

#136 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

I meant no disrespect, and now I wish I'd re-read that before posting it, because it looks accusatory when I didn't intend it that way. I apologize for a poor choice of phrasing that skewed what I meant to say into coming off uncalled-for and rude. More sense and more consideration from now on.

[EDIT] Yeah, just read it again. My God, that sucked :( [/EDIT]

Edited by Eric P., 14 February 2012 - 10:17 PM.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#137 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Is there any chance of you doing some drow versions of the vanilla characters - for when they're transformed? I always thought this would have been a nice touch!

I realise that's asking a whole lot, but, well, just wanted to ask! :)

#138 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Is there any chance of you doing some drow versions of the vanilla characters - for when they're transformed? I always thought this would have been a nice touch!

I realise that's asking a whole lot, but, well, just wanted to ask! :)

You might want to check this out.

/Shameless self-promotion

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#139 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

dm's pack is on the next version to do list :)

#140 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

dm's pack is on the next version to do list :)

While you are at it, why not try making drow versions of mod NPCs that you have made portraits for (joinable, of course)? It would be cool to see you make them...
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.