• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#181 nimrod yanai

nimrod yanai
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hi guys!
I LOVE BWP
I installed it once YEARS ago, and now wanted to do a reinstall.
My old BWS seems to work fine and all... Until it's time to actually start installing. Then I get an error message:
"Big World Installpack\cut: write error: Invalid argument" that just keeps repeating itself...
Then I suddenly read in the forums that the BWS is not working anymore or something?
So I read the first post, and I went to the "the offical linklist", but the page was not found! What do I do?! I can't install BWP without all the lovely mods :(
Also - is there a new, working BWS on the way? Because a manual install is just so... redundant...

#182 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

Also - is there a new, working BWS on the way? Because a manual install is just so... redundant...

one in the works, but it functions.
http://www.shsforums...p-beta-testing/

suggest you read thru the posts to get a feel of any changes, issues, etc and to make sure that you've gotten the latest copy of it.

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#183 spanyam

spanyam
  • 67 posts

Donator

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

This guide specifically says that the BWS is outdated, but I suppose it's referring to the non-beta version. Is the beta version more up to date?

#184 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

This guide specifically says that the BWS is outdated, but I suppose it's referring to the non-beta version. Is the beta version more up to date?

yes, its in need of additional testing etc. pretty stable on the whole tho as far as it's functionality goes.

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#185 spanyam

spanyam
  • 67 posts

Donator

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

yes, its in need of additional testing etc. pretty stable on the whole tho as far as it's functionality goes.

Ahh okay. If I wanted to do a more customized install where I pick individual components of mods, is the BWP a better path or does the BWS beta work for that? I remember that the beta lets you see any dependencies/conflicts while picking the mods (before installation starts).

#186 -wisechild-

-wisechild-

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

BWS is more up to date, far from abandoned. I lost many hours on this procedure before I found this.

http://kerzenburg.ba...loads.php?id=2/

It will do everything automatically, including downloads.

#187 -Iec-

-Iec-

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for this page. I'm building a BWP install for myself having only prior played with BWS about 2 or so years ago.

One issue is that I have the 3-disc version of BG1, so my game is pre-patched to version 5521 rather than 5512. I've found old threads suggesting that this will cause problems with a BWP install. How can I circumvent this problem?

#188 -rgladiator-

-rgladiator-

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

I need help. Firstly, I'm using Windows XP and using the 5 disc set for BG 1.

As per the instructions I installed BG1, ToC, BG2, and Tob outside the Program files folder in C:/Games. Yet when I got to step 2 and proceeded to launch BG1 to set configurations and make a quick save, it asked for the Tob expansion disk. In any case, BG 1 won't run. What am I missing? It seems as though installing BG 2/ToB in the same folder as BG1 overwrote something of BG1 so that it won't start. Bear in mind I'm a little shaky on some of the technical jargon here and may have misunderstood something already stated.

#189 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:06 AM

Don't install in the same folder!

BG1 into C:\Games\BWP\BG1

BG2 into C:\Games\BWP\BG2

These are just examples, pick whatever names you like or whatever folder, just not in program files
Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#190 Psymon

Psymon
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

To the OP - seems the link for WeiDU is broken - can't open with IE or FF. Nor find it elsewhere - so this path is now dead.

However glad I read further - seems like this is the way to go:

BWS is more up to date, far from abandoned. I lost many hours on this procedure before I found this.

http://kerzenburg.ba...loads.php?id=2/

It will do everything automatically, including downloads.

But it seems to be in German - Will this work for English installs?

Edited by Psymon, 19 June 2012 - 01:19 AM.

#191 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:26 AM

It's a German forum, so the text is German.
The file itself contains English and German translations for it's own textstrings. It's able to install mods in every possible translation, though.
If the forum doesn't let you in, try this mirror.

Edited by dabus, 19 June 2012 - 03:27 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#192 Psymon

Psymon
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

Finally got around to installing all the components using the installer I linked above - but here is the rub - I have the Anthology edition (all Baldur's Gate games on two discs - not the original discs). The result is I get prompted for the BGII expansion disc when trying to run Big World Project shortcut.

Since these discs are not in the format of the originals - it seems there is nothing I can do. Daemon or anything would not answer the requirement that I need to have the original game discs.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

[edit] nevermind - I figured it out. I borked my original install by preparing it for tutu and following some guide that told me to remove files. Returning them and all worked well.

This installer for BWP had some serious roadbumps - why anyone would want to even work on that is some form of questionable masochism.

But I seemed to have gotten something working right.

Edited by Psymon, 28 June 2012 - 12:33 AM.

#193 EvilMax

EvilMax
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hi, I'm installing Big World Project and interested in mixing BP AI and SCS/SCS II AI. Main goal: cover as many default weak AI as possible and keep tough Ascension compoent battles really tough. So I have a few questions about this.

1. What characters affects Big Picture AI? Will it fix all general mages/priest etc. found in all parts of the game?
2. Will Installing smarter general AI/mages/priests/better calls for help from SCS cause conflicts with BP AI? I see these components are installed in PDF manual, but also see warning there about need to choose between BP and SCS, so this is confusing a bit.
3. In SCSII Tactical challenges there are some components that marked as overlapping with BP AI. Some of them are marked as installed. So what AI as result? BP, SCSII or mixed? What is harder?

So, in general, welcom any advices how to mix BP and SCS/SCS II to get, at first, stable (no lots of stuck creatures or immortal enemies) tactical build of Big World, and in second, most challenging.

Thank you.

#194 Notso

Notso
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:19 AM

Can anybody tell me how I can decide whether to put something in weirdlypacked or nsis folders, and what to do with them afterwards when I am done? The guide kind of skips this part giving only a few examples and I can't see what to do with them afterwards! Currently my nsis folder has nothing in it and my weirdlypacked has about 2 things in, but I am sure I am missing some mods that should be in these folders...

Notso - I miss BF3

UWeAN.png

#195 gene4

gene4
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

Ugh. Okay, I literally spent 12 hours installing and reinstalling these f-ing games and I'm getting really annoyed. I have no clue what the f im doing wrong, and I'm still running into problems..

Now, this is what I understand from the directions.

1) install bg1 and bg2 in the same directory, for example c:\games\bg1 and c:\games\bg2 ...done, i get that.
2) once installed, run each game, and quick save...done, i get that
3) get the mods and files you need before installation....
a) big world trimpack v11
b) big world fixpack v11
c) big world install pack v11.1
d) bg2 fixpack
e) weidu
f) restored text music, if doing bgt
g) BGT
okay..done, i get that.

4) now, extract these files into main BG2 directory..done

now there is where my problem starts

5) you say to run big world install. bat? ..i run it..then what?
6) Once I run into the game selection, I pick (b) GT, then it says bg1-check, there is no folder in baldurs gate in the same directory. type here the divergent path for your bg1 directory...etc...

so then i type " c:\games and i press enter, and instead of the missing override files, i have missing data and movie files, when I actually have them..so i get stuck there... so i re roll the install, and go to the same window and instead of c:\games, i type in c:\games\baldurs gate. and i get stuck at a bg1-patch-check, and nothing happens..

now, then i re roll the installer again, and in the game selection menu, i now choose BG2 (o)nly because I don't really know what I'm doing now.

Then it won't go any further because it can't find bg2fixpack when i already have it in the directory. So i close it, then i run BG2fixpack, and install it, then run Big world install again. This is where I get a lil further. I go back to BG2 (o)nly. This time, I get pass through which i want to install, so i choose ®ecommended . Then it checks all the mods in my bg2 folder and reads BGT, bg2 fixpack, and bgt worldmap.

I then continue. And it runs all this stuff, and suddenly it says access is denied, but allows me to continue, so i do, and brings me to the "let the madness begin" and i try to install it, but when i do, access is denied starts spamming, and a patch.exe comes up, and pops up another cmd window and it just hangs there..and nothing..

I have no idea what I'm doing....sorry :[ any help please?

#196 EvilMax

EvilMax
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

I think you should input full bg1 path, i.e. c:\games\bg1\ (And by default installer looks for ..\Baldur's gate)
Second issue is probably because you are running Vista/7 OS. So it is recommended to run BW installer from administrator console. Without that you'll have some access problems with fixpack and installpack. Also it is recommended to disable antivirus software (if any) before installing BW.

#197 Notso

Notso
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

This should be stickied for sure. Has helped me numerous times! Thanks for the time you put into this :)

Notso - I miss BF3

UWeAN.png

#198 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Just checking back in - I haven't been on this site for a while (play-by-post is sucking up a lot of my time). Yes, I will update the guide when I get time, I also will work on my BWS more, I just am not really thinking about that.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#199 Vazeron1

Vazeron1
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:29 AM

So, I posted a topic about this, but I also have a, likely stupid, issue with the BWP installer:

So hey everyone, I'm yet another person, new to megamodding, who's having difficulty installing BWP!

The problem I'm having is that while I get everything set up fairly easily - extract all the mods properly, run all the self contained executable (i.e. stuff from PPG, et cetera) to get the setup-***.exe in the main folder, blah blah blah, the actual installation fails fairly miserably. What ends up happening is that the chitin.key file, somehow, I don't know how nor why, gets deleted when I run the installer batch. Not a clue how this happens, but I've tried it on two separate computers, and I haven't the foggiest what I'm doing wrong. UAC's disabled, there's no antivirus stuff, I'm installing BWP in C:\BWP\BGII - SoA, et cetera et cetera.

What happens is that the window tells me that it cannot find various files key to the installation of various mods, so, for instance, when it tries to install "Secrets of Bone Hill," it goes:

ERROR locating resource for 'getting 2DA lines'
Resource [PROJECTL.IDS] not found in KEY file:
[c:\bwp\Baldur's Gate/chitin.key]
et cetera et cetera.

When I check the Baldur's Gate folder, the chitin.key file is there.

So is it an installation weirdness? Did I screw up the extraction?

Unfortunately, not quite. Because when I check out my BGII - SoA folder, the chitin.key file is completely deleted, and I can't install any mod that requires anything from it, which basically means all quest and NPC mods. This is unfortunate, to say the least.

I've tried this with and without the trimpack as well. Normal mods without the installer work fine.

Any assistance? I'm unsure what, if any files I can upload to help you guys help me?

Sorry for another, probably stupid question, it's just I can't find anyone else who has this issue either.

Anyone have a clue?

#200 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hello people,

I've been wanting to mod my game but i'm a bit of a newb.
In the past I've succesfully manually installed BGT, but that was a whole while ago. And it took quite some time (and frustration).
I've been doing research on available mods but it's all very confusing for one such as myself.

I would love to have 1 game wich basically includes BG1+expansion, BG2+expansion, SoS, TDD, TS, NEJ and a big world map.
I'm assuming I should use BWP for this but as I'm not sure, I rather ask.
There's a lot of old threads to browse through and it's all very confusing as to what to do. (I've got like 20 tabs opened)
If I'm using the wrong board of this forum, I appologise but I've been searching and reading on this forum for over 3 hours.

So basically my questions :
1 Should I use BWP or should BWS do the job?
2 Is what I want to achieve even possible? (no mods overwriting eachother causing bugs etc)

thanks in advance

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: big world project, guide, manual installation, noob, newb