[BWP/BWS] Game crashes on looting Battle Horror remains

Big World Project Big World Setup Battle Horror Durlags Tower crash bug glitch

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

As the title says, my game crashes the moment I loot a Battle Horror (in the Durlag's Tower area). No error message comes up, and the log doesn't show anything of relevance. (Baldur.err is empty except for a bunch of "Start Logging Session" lines; TobEx.log only has stuff for loading in the game/area.)

I used Near Infinity to look at the creature file (BATTHO.CRE), and I noticed that its Quick item 1 slot has an "RNDEQU07.ITM". Next to that, in parentheses, is "No such index".

9zOnGAq.png

Weidu.log:
Spoiler

#2 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

No, wait. I lied. The game isn't crashing because I'm trying to loot Battle Horrors, the game is crashing when I try to move the camera down further south on the map (it crashes when I loot Battle Horrors because the camera jumps down to center on the looting). Area is ARD000.

#3 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Aha! Managed to get an actual error message by jumping the camera down to the bottom-left corner of the map (by double-clicking on the Map screen).

Error pop-up:
An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 1246
Programmer says: ChDimm.cpp CDimm::Demand(): Cres pointer
invalid (Check Baldur.log for missing resource)
TobEx Console:
ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x98F677 File: Chdimm.cpp Line: 1246 Expression: FALSE Message: ChDimm.cpp CDimm::Demand(): CRes pointer invalid (Check Baldur.log for missing resource)
ASSERTION FAILED!
File: ChDimm.cpp
Line: 1246

Exp: FALSE

Msg: ChDImm.cpp CDimm::Demand(): CRes pointer invalid (Check Baldur.log for missing resource)
Run Debugger?
Baldur.log:
Spoiler

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, the "RNDEQU07.ITM" is probably just one of the loot randomization items that get's changed to other item the moment the creature exists... so the camera movement is indeed the causes the crash as it then fails to find the *.wav file, why ? I have no idea, but I am pretty sure one of the resource index is badly arranged.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Can you please extract your ARD000.ARE using NearInfinity and attach it here? :P

The lolfixer's area fixer component should have scrubbed all missing resource references but it looks like something fell through the cracks :unsure:

Also, like Jarno said, RNDEQU07 stands for "Random Equipment Loot Drop Set #7" - it looks up a list of items stored in another file (some 2DA file) to determine what item to actually convert into when it is dropped :) So it shows up as No Suck Index.

Edited by Lollorian, 29 March 2014 - 03:40 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#6 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:11 AM

I don't think the missing *.wav file is the issue; I've been seeing that in the TobEx console pretty much every single time I tell one of my characters to move, and it's never caused a crash so far. (I've also got "Could Not Find Resource: NOSOUND.WAV" - that's also not causing any issues.)

Extracted ARD000.ARE: https://dl.dropboxus...3892/ARD000.ARE

#7 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

If you think the random treasure tables are a problem, here's something to scrub them clean :) Extract to your BG2 folder and run like any other mod... Keep an eye out for the console messages :P

What this does is:

- adds missing columns and rows to your random treasure tables (RNDEQUIP.2DA, RNDTREAS.2DA, RNDMAGIC.2DA, RNDWEP.2DA, RNDSCRL.2DA) that give you 256 gold (max 9 rows and 20 columns so RNDMAG04.ITM won't crash because it doesn't have the 4th row :lol:)

- replaces invalid and cyclic references in the tables with 256 gold

- checks every creature in your game for invalid random items (those with numbers >9 viz. RNDTRE12.ITM) and replaces them with the 09 version (in this case, RNDTRE12 -> RNDTRE09)

If it doesn't install at all, please extract and attach your random treasure tables using NearInfinity (RNDEQUIP.2DA, RNDTREAS.2DA, RNDMAGIC.2DA, RNDWEP.2DA, RNDSCRL.2DA) :P

Why 256 gold you ask? Because #YOLO 8) (and also because that's the max gold that can drop via randomness)

Attached Files

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#8 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

No, like I said, the crashing isn't due to looting Battle Horrors, it's because of something in the bottom-left (southwest) quadrant of the Durlag's Tower exterior map. I can actually Ctrl-J teleport to the entrance to the tower without the game crashing (by using CLUA to reveal the whole map, and then looking at the tower entrance by using the Map screen, or by moving the camera in from the right/eastern side of the map).

I can also explore the tower interior without a crash (well, the first two levels so far).

#9 -Beleg33-

-Beleg33-

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

Maybe the Doom Guard animation or its flame sword. Try spawning DOOMGU.CRE or SW1H11.ITM (equip it) and see if either causes the crash

#10 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

DOOMGU.CRE doesn't cause a crash, I already tested it. SW1H11.ITM can't be removed, so I can't equip it.

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

I used Shadowkeeper to put SW1H11 in the Weapon 1 slot and equipped it in-game. No crash.

#12 Hack'N'Slash

Hack'N'Slash
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:43 PM

I've just stumbled across this problem on the outside of Durlag's Tower, areas ARD000 and DSC010(or was it DSC001?). Both maps are the same except for one being DSOTSC. I jumped inside the tower and left via the exit back to this map and all was good until I started to walk towards the bottom left corner.

#13 Hack'N'Slash

Hack'N'Slash
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

I can walk outside and talk to Ike but if I go close to the first archway it'll crash.

#14 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

I can walk outside and talk to Ike but if I go close to the first archway it'll crash.

durlagstowerperimeter.jpg

So it crashes near the "D"s or ? It could well be that the Dopplegangers or greater Dopplegangers that cause the crash. The maps from here... Yes, it can also be anywhere else than those point, but without a map it's definitelly harder to pinpoint the exact place, and it's hard to find which creature bugged it up.

Edited by The Imp, 05 April 2014 - 12:09 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#15 Hack'N'Slash

Hack'N'Slash
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:34 AM

I'd guess the Ds here. Had same problem on this map with my DSTOC run and now with with the normal run.  To be exact? I walk left from 3(Ike) and it'll crash. I'm running off the google translate for area codes so this link will show where I'm coming from. http://translate.goo...ead.php?t=35175

#16 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

I'd guess the Ds here. Had same problem on this map with my DSTOC run and now with with the normal run.  To be exact? I walk left from 3(Ike) and it'll crash. I'm running off the google translate for area codes so this link will show where I'm coming from.

The easiest way to get the area code for the player is to just push the "x" key in the game area...

#17 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

There are no Dopplegangers in my ARD000, according to Near Infinity.

#18 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

There are no Dopplegangers in my ARD000, according to Near Infinity.

There might be if they are summoned by any script... you are better off finding all the Dopplegangers with the NI's creature search and then adding them into an area with the Console and seeing if it crashes.

#19 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Try running the Area CRE Checker on ard000 and then CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("t-test"). It will spawn each CRE in the area; if it hangs on one, you've found the culprit. You can also post the resulting arealog.txt file contents for further analysis.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#20 Faenor

Faenor
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:58 AM

Hello there I've just signed up to confirm this issue.  Took ages of searching around to find a thread that actually addressed this issue.

I can confirm that I crash at exactly the same place at both Durlag's Tower and Castle Daerthmac from DSotSC.  I crash at just the point where I see the first Battle Horror spawn, which is point "2" on that map that "The Imp" posted.  I'm playing a BGT game with the Mega Mod Plus configuration from the Big World Setup tool.  I'm not sure how I can help troubleshoot the issue further since I'm very new to modding Baldur's Gate (although quite experienced with the Elder Scrolls Games which are of course very different).  This is the first solid CTD issue I've actually ran into which is pretty impressive for how far through I've come with the game.  Unfortunately this issue effectively stops dead any continuation of the Tales of the Sword Coast as well as DSotSC and Northern TofSC, and Drizzt Saga (which starts after I complete Durlag's Tower - although you guys probably already know that :) ).  I'm pretty sure I've completed all the rest that BG1 and it's mods have to offer me, so unless this issue can be fixed (which I'd love to help if possible) I'll have to move on to BG2 with these areas sadly uncompleted (which irks the completionist in me :) ).  Anyway I'm rambling, my apologies.

I have two saved games that I've done from just before those two crashes:

Edit:  I found a quickfix on the main BWS thread so I think my problem is solved for now

Attached Files

Edited by Faenor, 31 May 2014 - 04:16 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Big World Project, Big World Setup, Battle Horror, Durlags Tower, crash, bug, glitch