Photo

Comments on BGEE & BG2EE News

• Please log in to reply
1123 replies to this topic

#661 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:26 AM

Out of those screens on the previous page, I prefer the old UI.

Weirdly enough, so do I. Shiny blue and flamboyant gold everywhere? Nah.

#662 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:33 AM

Well, my whole point was that the old GUI was designed apparently better than the new one. And problems in the new UI color palette seems to be somehow connected to problems new content's palette.

Btw I think they have removed UI from screens on pre-purchase page. It was there just a few days ago, right?

Edited by Suslik, 17 September 2012 - 04:05 AM.

#663 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Btw I think they have removed UI from screens on pre-purchase page. It was there just a few days ago, right?

I definitely saw it... Hopefully that means they are adjusting things in the UI based on feedback. I'm not terribly picky about the structure, but the color was just way wrong.

#664 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

For the record, I am constantly trying to be a fan of a 3d modeler of BG and the head dude of the worst single-player experience in modern cRPG history, but they consistently find ways to push me away.

I'd love to be able to tell the 20+ or so gamers I play with that this is worth paying attention to, but unless some of these inside-info ppl (Andrea, k'ae, asc64, etc) want to divulge substantial info, all I can say is that it's as bad as it looks.
Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#665 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

We are under NDA (so we can't talk detail). But I can say this... I will be purchasing the game for full price when it releases, I will be pre-ordering BG2:EE, and I will be voluntarily spending ridiculous amounts of time making sure that the mods I love are ported to the new platforms. I'll be doing that at the expense of modding time I should be spending on my own work, or playing my own personal favorite games. I may (*gasp*) finally retire from playing EasyTutu and play only on BG:EE. And the work I have seen put in by fellow modders and developers makes me want to craete a new category, "devodders"? "moddevs"? Something that says "Folks who see the day job as worthy of the same intensity and respect and comittment that usually is only found in an amateaur modder". No one I am working with is phoning it in, be they modder or developer, paid or volunteer. Makes me damned proud to know them (as much as you can know the 1's and 0's that are resloved into communication).

Caveat - I really don't care about the things I consider window dressing. The UI can be any darned thing it wants, as modders can rebuild it. I like BG2 Fixpack, Ascension64's ToBEX, E's 1PP, and The Bigg's Widescreen, so I am glad the game ships with these kinds of adjustments made natively. What I care about is a stable, bugfixed, modder-friendly game with continuing developer support. BG is still BG, BG2 is still BG2. The positive side of the prohibitive assinine ridiculous corporate contract structure is that if you like BG content, you will get BG the BG content you know and love, with bugfixes, spellchecked and un-typo'd, and some new stuff.

But all this talk is useless. Wait until the game comes out, drop less money than you would spend on the *soda and popcorn* at an evening at the movies, and play it for yourself. Then list all the things you want changed, drop by the official forums or SHS or PPG or G3 or CoMTBG or Rosenkavelier or TATW - and we'll start whipping up the changes.

#666 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

Great post cmorgan, really.

Thanks for telling us as much as you are allowed, your statements alleviates a lot of my concerns.

Edited by Dakk, 17 September 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#667 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

Meh. BGEE still offers nothing of any interest to me that the copy of BG1 I already have and BG Tutu don't already provide. None of the new characters, areas, or quests strike me as at all interesting, and it sounds like Beamdog wasn't allowed to make serious changes. As far as I'm concerned, BGEE is just a glorified megamod I'd have to pay money for.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#668 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

The UI can be any darned thing it wants, as modders can rebuild it. I like BG2 Fixpack, Ascension64's ToBEX, E's 1PP, and The Bigg's Widescreen, so I am glad the game ships with these kinds of adjustments made natively.

Wait, was it confirmed that all fixes from TobEx are included to the EE engine?

#669 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

Wait, was it confirmed that all fixes from TobEx are included to the EE engine?

Well, almost at least as the Mod was "included" as a part of the game in the official thread. It might include facts like... as the TobEx has it's own .ini file to read player input... that that's included in the game options screens and thus in the baldur.ini file too, not a separate file. No promises...

What I wished to know from cmorgan is that is the same files used the same way in BGEE as they are in BG2... say I want to install the not yet Enhanced Edition converted BG2 Tweak pack to the BGEE... Can you say: Can the Weidu.exe make a Bag of Holding bottomless without any change ? ... the reason for this is... I want to know if every mod needs to be converted... not just the few you, I and the other thousand modders are involved.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 17 September 2012 - 11:14 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#670 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

Currently circa half of ToBEx's fixes has been included into BG:EE. Any detail concerning the remaining fixes and features is under NDA.

CamDawg has already made BG2 Tweak Pack to work with the BG:EE beta and announced full compatibility as soon as the new version of WeiDU is out. Being no modder myself, I can't really say anything on other mods' compatibility. It is my understanding that the vast majority of the mods out there will require some degree of adaptation, but I lack the means and knowledge to fathom how much that's gonna be (I guess it will vary from mod to mod).

Edited by Andrea C., 17 September 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#671 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

Phordicus, I'm not sure I agree with you on Project Eternity being the reason for the delay. Every extra week they spend in development, that's a week they're not making money. And I don't believe Project Eternity and BGEE are mutually exclusive. I can very well see myself backing Project Eternity and getting BGEE as well (I haven't pre-ordered yet, I'm still debating whether to get the PC or the iOS version, since I do precious little gaming on my PC these days).

Thanks for what little info you are able to give us, Cmorgan, it's always great to get *some* info, even if it isn't much. Definitely looking forward to seeing it come out!

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#672 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

In my opinion.... going off from the original source is bit bad with news...

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Takes a Little Longer @ The Escapist

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Delayed, NPC Feature Revealed @ Inside Mac Games
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition delayed @ Game Guru

That's the same think 3 times, with differentiating opinions on the taste of things... which is not actual news.
Especially as the original news was here. I know, I know... but this same thing goes for the Mass Effect news where the Bioware blog has all the needed news, and the Project Ethernity where the kickstarter page has them. Well, everything but reviews and perhaps previews.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#673 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

I post what news I have at the time, and don't have exclusive access to the news thread. Anyone else is of course allowed to post news stories to the news thread. :)

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#674 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

GOG shows you how to 'enhance' old Baldur's Gate games @ Joystiq (following the delay of BGEE)

Heh - they seem to have enhanced it with BGT-WeiDU. That was a surprise.

Edited by Ascension64, 21 September 2012 - 01:48 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#675 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

GOG shows you how to 'enhance' old Baldur's Gate games @ Joystiq (following the delay of BGEE)

Heh - they seem to have enhanced it with BGT-WeiDU. That was a surprise.

"Rule BGT, BGT rules the waves".

#676 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

Is this official art, or did the news site just grab any old thing? (I ask because it looks effin horrible, like some nightmare from a community college Illustrator 101 class, nevermind the multiple, inexcusable misspellings.)

Posted Image
Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#677 Giuseppe

Giuseppe
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

It is not. Those idiots posted a fan art.

#678 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:09 AM

From Naskel to Cloak Wood with love!

#679 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:03 AM

Thank goodness it's fan art, all those spelling mistakes nearly gave me a heart attack!!! ^_^

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#680 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

It is not. Those idiots posted a fan art.

Or at least we all hope so. :(