• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

I seriously doubt they wouldn't mention it in the EULA, as they have an army of lawyers at their command, ready to write up any legalese they might require. They update their EULA, and poof, they're covered. And since hardly anyone reads it... :(

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#22 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

I seriously doubt they wouldn't mention it in the EULA, as they have an army of lawyers at their command, ready to write up any legalese they might require. They update their EULA, and poof, they're covered. And since hardly anyone reads it... :(

EULAas are not the end all be all however, some of the more outrageous demands the EULA put on the end consumer are not automatically enforceable.

Random links:
http://lawiki.org/la..._legal_position
http://en.wikipedia....cense_agreement
http://www.osbornecl...agreements.ashx

#23 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

Don't know about ME3 or why it's so hyped up already, or for that matter, so ranted against. When you install the v1 of *anything* you're bound to have issues. If it's something like Windows, even the v7.0 (aka Windows 7). You're best off waiting for several patches later. Why get the latest release before it even comes out? There are *loads* of decent games/mods from a year or two ago or even much longer ago that you haven't played, go get them instead. And yes, I'm talking to even the most avid gamer out there - there's *no way* you can have played everything under the sun even if that's all you do. There's just too many games out there. A good thing, if there wasn't also a lot of rubbish out there, but still a good thing if you know how to tell the difference.

It wouldn't seem so bad, I think, if it wasn't DAY ONE DLC. People just assume that since they're both being released the same day they could've easily slapped them together. I also don't think that this assumption is always wrong.

I agree, because it seems like a guileless marketing ploy to me. Moreover, having a whole bunch of DLCs out there for a game at 5-10 bits a piece is literally nickel-and-diming the customers for no good reason other than to fleece them. Some of these I suppose are good and should be marketed. Some should be either swept under the carpet or into existing add-ons so that you aren't spammed with a bunch of unintelligible DLC stuff when trying to make intelligent purchasing decisions with a limited wallet.

Let's take BG1. What K'ae says is right - it had a development cycle and deadline, which was closed. But a lot of good ideas out there (rather hastily unfortunately, due to another deadline no doubt) made it into Tales of the Sword Coast. *One* add-on for the game (aka DLC nowadays). Same goes for BG2 SoA and then a Throne of Bhaal add-on. Maybe if they made one or two more in the same vein (the same way modders have done, for free at that) I'd welcome it. But not 10, 20, or who knows how many, of questionable content.

"But Miloch," you might say, "That's also true for mods!" Indeed it is, but there's two big differences. Modders don't release stuff on deadlines for profit, and they aren't all under the umbrella of a supervising entity (i.e. the developing company). So a bunch of random stuff is excusable for modders, not for developers. It's like developers are now in the modding business, which would be fine, except for what I mentioned.

Back in the old days, when your developers had a bunch of new ideas after the game's development had been frozen, management would say, "That's great, lads (or lasses, but there weren't many of those back then... luckily that has changed a bit). "Keep those ideas flowing, because we're coming out with Ultima IV next, and it's going to be a whopper." In other words, there weren't a bunch of lame, dangling add-ons (now known as "DLCs" apparently). There were new games in the same series.

I think that there's something wrong with how games are priced, and that they should cost less than they are now.

Very true, and they will if you are content to live a bit behind the times and buy the "latest" releases a few months (or even years) after they're first released. Are you depriving yourself? Hell no. Like I said, there's a bunch of other stuff to keep you occupied in the meantime. *And* (most importantly) by the time you get around to buying those "new" games, not only will they be cheaper, but they'll be more stable, because they'll have fixed (some of) the bugs in the initial release.

Still upset? There's an amazing solution for this. Don't buy the game. Don't spend 80 dollars and preorder the xtreme commando collectors edition that includes 5 free Skooter replicas and a miniature toilet from the Normandy only to bitch about 5 dollar DLC later.

I agree 100%, this is basically my point. A few months down the road you can get some "diamond" edition with all versions of the game and all add-ons. Well, maybe not in the case of overmarketed popular stuff (I'm surprised DA2 still fetches such a high price) but with patience, any game is affordable and better quality. Unless it sucked to begin with, in which case you can get it for next to nothing in the bargain bin and it will still suck. But hey, at least you got it for next to nothing instead of some ridiculous price!

And you are taking tiny tidbits from my post and just responding to random words. That's not really productive either. Look, I can do it too.

Perhaps true there, but that's kind of what you did in your OP to Daulmakan. Just saying.

Beer Pong rocks. As long as by "beer" you mean a decent Jameson or Macallan, and by "pong" you mean "drink every time a politicial lies through his/her teeth"

Ye gods man, you must be getting shitefaced every time you watch the news! And haven't I taught you *anything* about whiskey? It's Black Bush (for Irish) and Black and White (for Scotch) all the way. Ruling out single malts of course - we wouldn't be fool enough to slam that now, would we?

Having said that, I don't think you can play "scotch pong." I'm no lightweight, but even a good roung of beer pong has been known to put me under the table (in my defense, it *usually* put the opposing team under the table, however). I can't imaging what "scotch pong" would do.

Oh, by the way, we are selling this seat today with a special add on, called a 'seat belt', that we happen to have prepared in the interim between making the airplane and getting it into service. Have one - they are all the rage. Only $5 more.

Heh. That's next, innit? They've already been hawking cheap headphones, peanuts and pretzels, formerly all "free." And by "free" I mean "not free" because the ticket price included such services (it had to, because travel was never cheap). Now, the travel price is more, but you also have to pay for stupid add-ons. Don't start me ranting (heh, you ain't seen nothing yet :P). Last time I flew was first-class. Sounds fancy, eh? It was *identical* to coach, only the seat numbers were lower. That's how they market stuff nowadays. Oh, and coach had TVs and audio. We had neither. You can make sure I took advantage of the "free" drinks, but as I said, they weren't really free, because they were included in the ticket price, and there's *no way* (even on a very long flight with my bottomless gullet) I could make up that price in drinking.
As for EULAs, they aren't enforceable in most countries. Most countries (having the most area/population) being Russia, China, Brazil, etc.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle