Photo

What area would you like to see next in Tamriel?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Well now that Skyrim has been out a few months and most people have beaten it or at least put in a good number of hours...I figured it was time to ask and see where people would like to adventure in the next game...(Not going to include Cyrodil - Morrowind or obviously Skyrim since those are the 3 latest places we went too and they would not go back to them...at least I hope!)

Personally...I would like to see Summerset Isles...With the rise of the "Thalmor" I think it would be a great setting for the next game. Provided they are still around whenever the next game takes place and they don't give us some cheesy storyline where they get beaten off-game...

My next choice would be either the Black Marsh or Elsweyr...I think these lands would be quite interesting to explore...However I am not sure if enough happens in those parts of the world to actually warrant a whole game about them...(I could be wrong though)

Last but not least...Valenwood would also be a somewhat decent choice as well if they choose to not do those 3 I mentioned above...

How about yourself? What area of Tamriel would you like to see in the next Elder Scrolls game?

Edited by Vicen, 04 March 2012 - 02:50 PM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#2 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

An epic campaign would somehow have your character one of the last humans of the last and for ages lost human enclave in Akavir...
It turns out the snakes where not 100% successful in their genocide. An ancient prophecy has decreed that a human hero will arise that will challenge the snakes and demand justice and retribution...

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#3 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:16 AM

I can't believe no one spoke of Hammerfell or High Rock. High Rock would make an excellent site for the next Elder Scrolls game because it mixes coastal areas, loose forests and rocky, mountainous terrain. There are also a whole bunch of islands not far off the coast. From a roleplaynig point of view, it offers a myriad of political intrigues, through all ages. I'm also curious to see the Adamantine Tower
Hammerfell would also be an interesting setting, as it has the Alik'r desert as well as maritime cities and farmlands. I know those two destinations were already the setting of Daggerfall, but I'd really like to revisit them.

I strongly disagree with the option of the Summerset Isle, and for several reasons. FIrst off, it is an absolute must to have the following game distinct from the previous one. No decision in one game can affect the following, otherwise it's an absolute nightmare. This is why Skyrim is set 200 years after the Oblivion crisis, the only thing anyone remembers is that Martin turned into the avatar of Akatosh and beat off Mehrunes Dagon. No one remembers the Hero of Cyrodiil. Also, I'd argue that the Summerset Isle isn't that big of a place, but then again neither was Vvardefall.

Elsewyr and Black Marsh are also very interesting destination, Elsweyr with its arid badlands, lush sub-tropical forests (few settlements, though), and the Black Marsh with its sentient Hist trees and historical tensions with the Dunmer. Vicen, you should definitely read up on the lore (through books like "An Argonian Account" or the UESP wiki), and I guarantee you'll change your mind on these provinces. A lot can happen there. I know less about Valenwood, save that it's covered in rainforests and forests.

Not a fan of Akavir, it's not even in Tamriel...

Bottom line, whatever the destination, you can count on Bethesda on making it a great one.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#4 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

Not a fan of Akavir, it's not even in Tamriel...

Maybe because i am new to Elder Scrolls, all parts of the world of Nirn seem to bring the same excitement to me, from what little i have gleaned from all the books i have read in the game. I think i understand your reaction though, if i compare it to the Dragonlance campaign setting. Everybody (among the fans, my self included) knows and loves the Ansalon continent, however, almost nobody finds interest to explore other areas of the world of Krynn, not as much as Ansalon anyway...

I agree with you though, about your belief that Bethesda will ake it a great one, wherever the next game will take place. Buggy the game may be, but it is the first time in my life i have felt remotely close to believe i am role playing and not sitting in front of a screen typing and clicking, other that role playing live with real people. They sure know how to pack a lot of excitement and what i like to call 'suspension of disbelief' in their games! :Bow:

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#5 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I strongly disagree with the option of the Summerset Isle, and for several reasons. FIrst off, it is an absolute must to have the following game distinct from the previous one. No decision in one game can affect the following, otherwise it's an absolute nightmare. This is why Skyrim is set 200 years after the Oblivion crisis, the only thing anyone remembers is that Martin turned into the avatar of Akatosh and beat off Mehrunes Dagon. No one remembers the Hero of Cyrodiil. Also, I'd argue that the Summerset Isle isn't that big of a place, but then again neither was Vvardefall.

Actually...now that I think about it...you have a good point. Summerset Isle would be a good expansion choice though for Skyrim if they go that route...

Edited by Vicen, 04 March 2012 - 07:01 PM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#6 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

Actually...now that I think about it...you have a good point. Summerset Isle would be a good expansion choice though for Skyrim if they go that route...

Oh - my - goodness... I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, that would be so awesome... Wait and see, I guess. They promised an expansion of the breadth of Shivering Isles (rather than the like of KotN), so why not... A girl can dream...

Quinlan, I get your point regarding Akavir, and I'm willing to grant that my own ignorance regarding Akavir is probably what leads to my lack of interest. I wouldn't be opposed to a trip to Akavir (and maybe find out if that's where the Nerevarine went and what truly happened to him/her), but I still think there's loads to do in Tamriel. Black Marsh, High Rock, Hammerfell, Orsinium, Valenwood, Elsweyr... They've got a whole bunch of provinces to choose from!

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#7 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Quinlan, I get your point regarding Akavir, and I'm willing to grant that my own ignorance regarding Akavir is probably what leads to my lack of interest.

If you have played previous games in the series, then i am most certainly more ignorant than you, not about akavir, but Tamriel, too. ;)

My fantasy story

#8 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:32 AM

I find it suspicious that a whole race is missing from a fantasy game. The next game could have something to do with the return of the dwarves.

In addition, judging from a Thalmor's comment, the next one could deal with the continuation of the war between the Dominion and the Empire.

My fantasy story

#9 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

I disagree. While the Dwemer are an intriguing people, they abruptly vanished off the face of Tamriel mid-first era (1E700 to be specific). Skyrim takes place in 4E201, the Dwemer have been gone for millennia, what could possibly explain their reappearance? And where would they have been all this time? Just as some animal species are endangered and become extinct, it is my belief that the Dwemer are extinct, probably in the fallout of the Lorkhan War. Morrowind covered this extensively and presented a few theories, nothing solid, but nonetheless, they've been wiped out. How can you have an entire race "come back" from that?
Besides, I kinda like The Elder Scrolls, having Argonians and Khajiit, and the different Mer. They don't need to add Dwemer to the mix.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#10 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hm... Being new to the series i didnt take the long absence into serious consideration. But i respectfully disagree with you. There is a precedent that they could use. The Netherise Shade Enclave which returned to Faerun...

My fantasy story

#11 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Oooh!!! Looks like we have ourselves a debate!!! ^_^

I'm gonna continue disagreeing by stating that your precedent is null and void, not only as it pertains to a different universe, but also because your example doesn't qualify as a return per se. The Shadow Enclave was a floating city, home to the survivors of ancient Netheril who fled into the shadow plane before Karsus's folly. There is no other "Plane" that we know of in Nirn.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#12 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

I personally like the mystery of a long dead race. I think it would only subtract from the setting (and really trivialize that aspect of Morrowind) to bring them back.

And my fingers are crossed for a Summerset expansion. It'll make the painful, Skyrim-less wait for the GotY edition almost worthwhile.

#13 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

Oooh!!! Looks like we have ourselves a debate!!! ^_^

I'm gonna continue disagreeing by stating that your precedent is null and void, not only as it pertains to a different universe, but also because your example doesn't qualify as a return per se. The Shadow Enclave was a floating city, home to the survivors of ancient Netheril who fled into the shadow plane before Karsus's folly. There is no other "Plane" that we know of in Nirn.

There isn't? :blink:
I think not! -_-
Maybe not another mortal plane, but there are several alternate dimensions ruled by the Daedric Princes. So, some outsider could be involved behind the scenes in what the dwarves 'apparently' did to themselves...

My fantasy story

#14 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

I will admit it would be quite interesting to know what "exactly" happened to them...but as for them coming back after being gone for so long...I just find that highly unrealistic...especially for a game in the fantasy setting...

#15 -Silas-

-Silas-

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

To add my two cents about this thing with the dwarves, an extinct species already came back after being gone for such a long time, doing it again would be uncreative on Bethesdas part

#16 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

Which species are you talking about?

My fantasy story

#17 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

I believe that by "extinct species that came back" he means dragons. ^_^

Edited by Eleima, 10 April 2012 - 07:50 AM.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#18 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

Elsweyr would be really cool - it would be nice to see the Khajit somewhere where they are not treated like pariahs.
Valenwood might also be nice - Orsinium is really too small.
I agree that the Summerset Isles would be better as an expansion for Skyrim. Go kick some Thalmor butt.

#19 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hm... Dragons cannot count as a species for this reason, because they are not a PC race, i think. As far as i am concerned, they can come and go as many times as they (or Bethesda) please. After all, they are an elemental force and as such a part of the world. They can never trully leave. To me it is like complaining about seasons coming and going, an absurd complaint. -_-

My fantasy story

#20 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

Agreed, Cal! I've just started playing a Khajiit, and it would be nice to go somewhere where you aren't called a "mangy cat"! As for Orsinium, well... It's technically a region of High Rock anyhow.

Quinlan, you can't say "it doesn't count", just because it isn't a PC race. The Falmer aren't a playable race, that doesn't make them any less of a species. Also regarding dragons, to my knowledge, there is no prior game in which they appeared (barring Nafaalilargus in Redguard). Granted they're a part of Tamriel history, but I wouldn't go as far to say they're "an elemental force". They got overrun by cliff racers on Vvardenfell, for crying out loud! They hadn't been seen since the Merethic Era. Besides, they're weren't technically extinct, they had been mostly killed and driven off, and some were still living in Tamriel, hidden from sight (Parthurnaax is one).

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif