Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#2301 dady977

dady977
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

Dady, are you using the newest version of BWS?  That mod (NPC Kit Pack) should be red (Expert) for BGEE/BG2EE.

Oh yeah, I'm using the latest version of BWS, I always check your link for updates.

I have BG2EE, and everything went smooth until the installation of this mod, so what I can do to solve this? Should I just continue and skip this part or will that be troublesome for my gameplay?

Did you make an total software update ? Aka did you remove the old one and extracted the new to the folder or just try to update by extracting to the existing folder... cause the later has larger possibility to screw things up.

Part of this is why the BWS has separate download folder.

I did the latter, oops!  :crazy:

#2302 dady977

dady977
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

IIRC that mod is "expert" because several components don't work on BG2EE. Having a fresh BWS download isn't going to change that.

Oh thanks for clearing that up, I'll just skip it and continue the installation normally.

#2303 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

* BWS:  More debug logging (disabled by default)
* BWS:  Explicitly declared many variables while checking for typos that could cause bugs
* BWS:  Renamed internal variables, added more whitespace and many comments for clarity
* BWS:  Removed Misc-GUI-EET.au3; to enable EET selection, change $HideEET in Misc-GUI.au3
* BWS:  GUI.au3 - On "choose translations" tab, lists now resize correctly when window size changes
* BWS:  GUI.au3 - Changed font for tree-view mod extended description box to Arial 8-point
* BWS:  Depend.au3 - Dependencies and conflicts rules for sub-components now work correctly
* BWS:  Depend.au3 - Optional dependencies not available due to purge/missing translation will be ignored
* BWS:  Depend.au3 - Mandatory dependencies not available for selection will also be ignored, only for 'warning' rules
* BWS:  Depend.au3 - Message boxes showing results of automated rule solving are now scrollable if too long
* BWS:  Depend.au3 - Replaced some commas with 'and'/'or' in the descriptive sentences displayed for rules
* BWS:  Testing.au3 - If BWS can't find path to BG1/BG1EE folder, set the input box to '-' instead of blank
* BWS:  Misc-GUI.au3 - Fixed BG1/BG2/other-game-type folder positioning and titles when switching game type
* BWS:  Misc-GUI.au3 - Default to recommended pre-selection (instead of first custom selection) for BG2/BGT
* BWS:  Select-GUILoop.au3 - Disabled widescreen mod checks for EE games (widescreen feature is built in)
* BWS:  Select-Helper.au3 - Default to recommended click-mode (instead of minimal) for BG2/BGT
* BWS:  Select-Helper.au3 - Setup.ini "Preselections" renamed "ClickModes" for clarity (should never change)
* BWS:  Select-Helper.au3 - Removed 'v' prefix and extra space from mod version shown below selection-treeview
* BWS:  Select-AI.au3 - Added mod name and component to the pop-up message when disabling a subcomponent
* BWS:  Basics.au3 - Rewrote _IniCreateIndex to find first and last match in an array (speeds up searches)
_IniCreateIndex was broken -- it was finding last match instead of first match, so some searches were failing before
* BWS:  Basics.au3 - Updated _IniRead to stop at last possible match instead of last line (speeds up searches)
* BWS:  Select-Tree.au3 - Many readability improvements, and _TrimBWSConnections now returns a value
* BWS:  Admin.au3 - Readability improvements only
* BWS:  Install.au3 - Added WeiDU code to Setup.BWS.tp2 to remove ANYONE from EA.IDS (work around script compilation errors with WeiDU 238 and earlier)

* BG1EE/BG2EE/BGT rules changes:
1. EET Tweaks - removed subcomponents from conflict rules (not needed in this case)
2. Sandrah Return to Faerun - added "BP-BGT-Worldmap mod required" dependency rule
3. Sandrah Return to Faerun - added "BP-BGT-Worldmap ToB component required" dependency rule
4. Sandrah Return to Faerun - added "must install all components together" dependency rule
5. Sandrah Times of Trouble - now depends on Sandrah NPC in addition to Return to Faerun
6. Sandrah NPC - clarified descriptions for mandatory and optional recommended dependencies
7. Sandrah NPC - re-enabled dependency warning for optional mods with cross-mod content
8. Clarified Improved Trademeet Crypt conflict warning rule 
9. Fixed typo ('::') in "Choose one Xan portrait" conflict rule

* Config/Translation-EN.ini:  Fixed typos "components" -> "component's" and "faild" -> "failed"
* Config/preselect.ini:  Removed "(recommended for first playthrough!)" from Kreso's selection

* BWP/BGT:  Install Revised Battles #15 before AzenMod to allow both versions of Improved Trademeet Crypt to coexist (if user is that much of a masochist)!
* BG2EE:  Ascension #104 (extended epilogues by shawnee) is now selectable -- I incorrectly thought this component was not for EE (thanks White Agnus for reporting!)

Edited by agb1, 09 January 2016 - 02:30 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#2304 dady977

dady977
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

I want to know how you guys do it? I mean how do you make tools this smart/complicated/hard and they work great and efficient?

I could never do it, I'm not as smart as all of you, but thanks for making this for people like us who can't do stuff like this, it makes it really easy for us to use, and you don't get enough credit for your hard work, thanks!

Edited by dady977, 09 January 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#2305 Ser Elryk

Ser Elryk
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:02 PM

I want to know how you guys do it? I mean how do you make tools this smart/complicated/hard and they work great and efficient?

I could never do it, I'm not as smart as all of you, but thanks for making this for people like us who can't do stuff like this, it makes it really easy for us to use, and you don't get enough credit for your hard work, thanks!

My feelings exactly.

#2306 Ser Elryk

Ser Elryk
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

So I just tried using the current build of BWS (2f96556) and something seems to be very wrong. It won't recognize either my BG1EE Directory nor my BG2EE one. It just says this:

Untitled.png

If it matters, I use the GOG versions.

#2307 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:17 PM

* BG2EE:  Rename jklhel\Helarine_BGEE.tp2 to setup-jklhel.tp2 after applying BWFixpack patches
* BWS:  Depend.au3 - more fixes for not-selectable mods/component dependencies from warning rules
* BWS:  Misc-GUI.au3 and Select-GUILoop.au3 - fixed BG1EE folder selection I broke earlier today (sorry!)
* BWS:  Testing.au3 - found another bug, IWD1EE folder was being saved incorrectly as BG1EE folder
* BWS:  Select-GUILoop.au3 and Misc-GUI.au3 - Fixed crash after switching between EE and non-EE game type

Edited by agb1, 09 January 2016 - 09:46 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#2308 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

* BWS:  Select-Tree.au3 - Improved code to remove tree-view multiple-choice menu branch if all multiple-choice entries under it have been purged (fixes glitch above SCS #4150 in BG2EE selection - thanks zonx for report!)
* BWS:  Select-Tree.au3 - Improved code to remove tree-view subcomponents if main component above has been purged (fixes incorrect subcomponents listed under EET Tweaks #14 - thanks zonx for report!)
NOTE:  This means that purge rules only need to specify subcomponents explicitly if the main component is not being purged, e.g. purging component 5 also purges 5?1_a, 5?2_b, etc.  But if 5 itself isn't being purged, you can still purge 5?1_a by itself.

* BG1EE/BG2EE/BWP Game.ini:  Corrected [Edit] section so EET Tweaks subcomponents can be right-clicked in selection tree-view to edit the answers, as intended
* BG1EE/BG2EE/BWP Game.ini:  Clarified Item Randomiser rule description and made the rule user-ignorable (D => DW):
---- Prevent Watcher's Keep statues from disappearing in case items were randomly placed on them by this mod=DW:randomiser(-):randomiser(10300)

* BG1EE/EET:  Helarine NPC moved from Expert to Maximized pre-selection (thanks White Agnus for submitting patches to BWFixpack for all known problems!)

Edited by agb1, 10 January 2016 - 08:52 AM.

#2309 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:00 AM

* BG2EE:  Rename jklhel\Helarine_BGEE.tp2 to setup-jklhel.tp2 after applying BWFixpack patches
It might be worth documenting these kinds of custom workarounds (anything other than conflicts and installation scripts) for future-proofing and (possible) later resolution via the BWPFixpack :)

I was going through the commits and stuff like this just make me wonder why it was there in the first place :P

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#2310 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

Yes.  Eventually I want to move all of the custom workarounds out of BWS and into the original mods or BWFixpack.

About the RPG-KP workarounds in particular, I think that kind of workaround should not be done by BWS. Instead we should just change the Type of the problematic mod to 'E' in the mod.ini. Since one of my recent changes, just changing the Type will automatically mark all of its components red and put them in the Expert pre-selection (no need to modify Select.txt).

Edited by agb1, 10 January 2016 - 09:10 AM.

#2311 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

It was added temporarily, until you add the appropriate fixes in BWFixpack, and stayed there for just one day.  :)
As for the rest of workarounds I can say that they were either taken from BWInstallpack or added to BWS in days when Yellow and Round was inactive on SHS (or not yet engaged BWFixpack, not remember).

I don't mind that you're even now removed all these workarounds from BWS, but on the condition that they will be corrected in any other way (there certainly all hope for BWFixpack), and not just for the sake of their there was not (especially it concerns mods that are no longer supported by the authors).

About the RPG-KP workarounds in particular, I think that kind of workaround should not be done by BWS. Instead we should just change the Type of the problematic mod to 'E' in the mod.ini. Since one of my recent changes, just changing the Type will automatically mark all of its components red and put them in the Expert pre-selection (no need to modify Select.txt).

And here I disagree. Expert we must mark mods that after installation (which implies that they should be installed through BWS under any conditions) may cause problems in the game. If mod or component for some reason cann't be installed (as it was in the case of installation Infinity Sounds after RPG-KP), we need to add corresponding conflict or dependence for prevent the occurrence of errors during installation (at least temporarily, until this issue is solved in any other way).

#2312 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

By marking it Expert, we implicitly remove the mod from default preselections and also cause a warning to be displayed for any users who load a custom/saved selection with that mod enabled. There is no need to update Select.txt because every component of an 'E' Type mod is now considered to be 0001 in Select.txt (the Type overrides).

I think Expert is for install failures also, not just problems during gameplay. Either way we need to do something to fix the mod before it can be used safely.

I certainly agree that old workarounds should be kept until they find new homes in BWFixpack or the mods themselves. I am suggesting here that we delay adding new workarounds in BWS for install issues and instead just mark the mods as Expert. If no better solution is found for a while outside of BWS then we can add workarounds in BWS, but this is a last resort. Example is the IDS patch I added to setup-bws.tp2 ... I would rather that live outside of BWS but there is no obvious place to put it.

Edited by agb1, 10 January 2016 - 11:08 AM.

#2313 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

Btw I'm closing to releasing an update to NPC_EE that makes major structural changes. Is there a best practice way to do that to make sure BWS knows what it's downloading? I don't have to update the master at github until you guys are ready...

#2314 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:20 PM

Really? It still remains in Expert preselection. Mentioning the component 0000 we can somehow save the situation, but it is only as long as someone does not choose it manually.

No, if we know that some mods/components for certain reasons can't be installed together, we need to prevent the possibility of these reasons by changing the order of installation, adding conflicts and dependencies, patches mods by BWFixpack etc. Otherwise, why would we need this tool if it can't ensure error-free installation?

And to ensure that we don't forget about these errors, you have already created a good topic, where you can store the necessary records. By the way, is possible to submit the remaining workarounds and try to remember because of what they once were added, if we decide to remove them.

Edited by Quiet, 10 January 2016 - 03:21 PM.

#2315 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:03 PM

I see the Expert pre-selection as the category for everything problematic.  I don't think anyone should expect the Expert pre-selection to install without errors.  In addition to forum threads, I want to document workarounds in the tool itself:  comments in BWS code and Game.ini, ANN lines in Select.txt, notes in mod.ini descriptions.

subtledoctor, thanks for letting us know about the coming update.  I just pushed this update to BWS:

* NPC_EE:  Switched to GitHib 'Always Latest Release' redirect URL for download link (pre-releases ignored) instead of master branch

Look at Config\Global\npc_ee.ini (https://bitbucket.or...e.ini?at=master).

That ini file describes the mod and how the components will be displayed in BWS.  It would help us if you could update that file to match the new components in your upcoming release.

BWS also uses Select.txt files to determine which components (and sub-components) are shown for each game type.  For example, here are the NPC_EE lines for BG2EE:

Spoiler

ANN is a comment line.  STD is a single component.  MUC is a multiple-choice entry.  MUC;Init creates a multiple-choice submenu, and the following MUC lines are alternatives (only one can be chosen).  SUB (not used here) is for sub-components, answers to series of ACTION_READLN questions for a particular component.

The numbers after npc_ee are the component numbers, theme (12 = Kit Related Mods), and pre-selection bits (0000 = don't enable by default in any preselection, 1000 = recommended pre-selection, 0100 = maximized pre-selection, 0010 = tactical pre-selection, 0001 = expert pre-selection ... usually we enable the higher bits if we enabled the lower ones, so 1111 = recommended and maximized and tactical and expert = enabled by default for all pre-selections).

#2316 Yllib

Yllib
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:20 PM

Hi there, not sure if this is the right place to report bugs/errors/general weirdness. If not please direct me to the correct place. :ermm: This is with BG2EE.

I've been experiencing some oddities with BG2 Tweaks components "Max HP for NPCs" and "ToB-Style NPCs" in that it raises Imoen's mage level to 24 in her IMOEN15, IMOEN211 and IMOEN213 .CRE files (the actual joinable instances of her after Chateau Irenicus). She gets the increased HP, THAC0 and saving throws of her new level, but not memorisation capabilities. It also leaves IMOEN10 (Chateau Irenicus file) untouched (vanilla HP value). All other joinable NPCs that I've checked seem to receive the appropriate changes from both components, though I may have missed something. In a previous install her later iterations had also been assigned a kensai kit, despite not having any fighter in her. That was using more mods and I don't have any logs from that one unfortunately. Looking at the log file, she was completely skipped from the Max HP component, which matches there being no backups for her for that particular module.

Also get an error when trying to install item randomiser component 2 (looks like it's to do with proficiencies?), but that can safely be skipped without any major impact on the game.

I also set it to pause so I could install kit revisions at the appropriate time, as per the Select.txt file in the Config\BWP folder, so it (probably) won't show in the debug file but all components were installed in between arestoration and BP core component. I manually went through and deselected any components that explicitly indicated a conflict with Kit Revisions (which show up despite it being not available for selection), as well as any others that seemed like they would.

I was also initially trying to use all components of lolfixer, but when I started a new ToB game, the majority of items had their picture that accompanies the background/description screen replaces with a crate. Figured this was one of the reasons it is flagged as "expert" for EE installs so I just skip it entirely now and all items you start with in ToB have their appropriate artwork, as opposed to only two of them. I figure if it was doing this to items it could potentially be doing weird stuff to the rest of my game files.

Finally, there seems to be no option to install the additional items component from Song and Silence mod, yet it is available and appears to install fine if you just run a standalone install. Not sure if intentional or an oversight?

Debug file attached.

Attached Files

#2317 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:47 PM

Hi there, not sure if this is the right place to report bugs/errors/general weirdness. If not please direct me to the correct place. :ermm: This is with BG2EE.

Hi Yllib.  Thanks for your reports!  This thread is the right place to report problems with BWS before or during your installation.  If you start running into issues in the game, you might want to make a new thread just to keep all the relevant information and responses together, since this thread has a lot of conversations happening on it too.

I've been experiencing some oddities with BG2 Tweaks components "Max HP for NPCs" and "ToB-Style NPCs" in that it raises Imoen's mage level to 24 in her IMOEN15, IMOEN211 and IMOEN213 .CRE files (the actual joinable instances of her after Chateau Irenicus). She gets the increased HP, THAC0 and saving throws of her new level, but not memorisation capabilities. It also leaves IMOEN10 (Chateau Irenicus file) untouched (vanilla HP value). All other joinable NPCs that I've checked seem to receive the appropriate changes from both components, though I may have missed something. In a previous install her later iterations had also been assigned a kensai kit, despite not having any fighter in her. That was using more mods and I don't have any logs from that one unfortunately. Looking at the log file, she was completely skipped from the Max HP component, which matches there being no backups for her for that particular module.

Did you already run a --change-log on these files to check if any other mods could be responsible for the level change?

Also get an error when trying to install item randomiser component 2 (looks like it's to do with proficiencies?), but that can safely be skipped without any major impact on the game.

The problematic file is amtgen01.cre, which seems to be from ding0's questpack (Improved Oasis II, combat variant).  I will mark that component Expert for EE until we figure out why that file (possibly its proficiencies as you noted) is causing problems for Item Randomiser.

I also set it to pause so I could install kit revisions at the appropriate time, as per the Select.txt file in the Config\BWP folder, so it (probably) won't show in the debug file but all components were installed in between arestoration and BP core component. I manually went through and deselected any components that explicitly indicated a conflict with Kit Revisions (which show up despite it being not available for selection), as well as any others that seemed like they would.

Sounds fine.  Did you have any problems with the installation?

I was also initially trying to use all components of lolfixer, but when I started a new ToB game, the majority of items had their picture that accompanies the background/description screen replaces with a crate. Figured this was one of the reasons it is flagged as "expert" for EE installs so I just skip it entirely now and all items you start with in ToB have their appropriate artwork, as opposed to only two of them. I figure if it was doing this to items it could potentially be doing weird stuff to the rest of my game files.

Lolfixer is Expert because it hasn't been tested with EE and Lollorian wasn't sure if it would work correctly.  Thanks to your report we now have more specific knowledge so it is much appreciated.

Finally, there seems to be no option to install the additional items component from Song and Silence mod, yet it is available and appears to install fine if you just run a standalone install. Not sure if intentional or an oversight?

Oversight, I think.

Debug file attached.

Thanks!

Noticed a couple of other errors in your install log:

Isandir's Portrait Pack #0 (this is newly added to BWS)

Spoiler

BP #1170 - Treant Encounter

Spoiler
Installing [Treant Encounter] [v181-b4611 BWP Fix]
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Copying 1 file ...
Compiling 1 script ...

[bp/baf/re-baf/treant/bpdru14t.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 42 column 1-54
Near Text: )
[ForceSpell] argument [CLERIC_ANIMATE_TREE] not found in [Spell.IDS]

[bp/baf/re-baf/treant/bpdru14t.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 43 column 1-36
[RemoveSpell] argument [CLERIC_ANIMATE_TREE] not found in [Spell.IDS]

[bp/baf/re-baf/treant/bpdru14t.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 769 column 1-32
[HaveSpell] argument [CLERIC_ANIMATE_TREE] not found in [Spell.IDS]

[bp/baf/re-baf/treant/bpdru14t.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 780 column 1-49
[Spell] argument [CLERIC_ANIMATE_TREE] not found in [Spell.IDS]
Compiling 1 script ...

Edited by agb1, 10 January 2016 - 07:55 PM.

#2318 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

* Back to Brynnlaw:  Updated to version 5, added German translation

* BG1EE/BG2EE:  Added Song and Silence #1 (additional items for thieves and bards)
* BG2EE:  Added Weimer's Solaufein NPC to Maximized pre-selection (BWFixpack patches the mod for EE compatibility)

* BG2EE:  ding0's questpack #11 (Improved Oasis II - Combat Path) moved to Expert due to amtgen01.cre causing Item Randomiser install to fail
* BG2EE:  BP #1170 (Treant Encounter) moved to Expert due to parse errors ([Spell] argument [CLERIC_ANIMATE_TREE] not found in [Spell.IDS])

Edited by agb1, 10 January 2016 - 07:58 PM.

#2319 Ser Elryk

Ser Elryk
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

* BG2EE:  Added Weimer's Solaufein NPC

Why is Solaufein under Character-Kits, though?

#2320 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

* BG2EE:  Added Weimer's Solaufein NPC

Why is Solaufein under Character-Kits, though?

I copied the line from BGT and the category numbers are different for BG2EE.  Thanks for noticing that.

* BG2EE:  Moved Weimer's Solaufein to NPCs category

Oops #2:

* Back to Brynnlaw:  Fixed Tra number for new German translation

Edited by agb1, 10 January 2016 - 08:23 PM.