Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#4161 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

During the fight with Tarnesh at the FAI, I cast Protection from Evil, then clicked on the "select all" button and the game froze.

I know that it is impossible to have a bug-free heavily modded game, and that it is very hard to find out what caused the issue, BUT, according to your opinion, what's most likely to have caused the issue? What kind of mod? Some animation related maybe? I remember having had the same problem two years ago with a BGT install, I didn't expect to experience the same considering the games are EE and most of the mods have been updated.

Suggest to zip and post a savegame if you have one from shortly prior meeting Tarnesh. It might answer more than a dozen or so questions.

Who casts the spell and is from scroll or learned spell?

Edited by Roxanne, 05 August 2017 - 08:56 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#4162 Blash2

Blash2
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

No, I don't, and I tried a few times to reproduce the same conditions, to no avail..

#4163 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

No, I don't, and I tried a few times to reproduce the same conditions, to no avail..

Who casts the spell and is from scroll or learned spell? Who is in party?

The Sandrah Saga

#4164 Blash2

Blash2
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

Paladin ability, I was with Imoen only.

#4165 Blash2

Blash2
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

@Blash2 It's a wrong codepage/missing HANDLE_CHARSET problem for one of you mod. For every question you ask, please post you weidu.log in [spoiler] tags

Even if I tried the same actions later and nothing happened? I had the feeling it was quite random and not strictly related to some event.. I hope I'm wrong. As soon as I'm home I'll post the log. Thank

Edited by Blash2, 05 August 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#4166 Blash2

Blash2
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

Here it is.. I really hope you can help me, I think I did a quite minimal install, and I didn't select any mod marked in orange or red  :crying:

Spoiler

The following is taken from the Windows Event Log (it's in Italian):

Spoiler

Nome registro: Application
Origine:       Application Error
Data:          05/08/2017 13:24:34
ID evento:     1000
Categoria attività:(100)
Livello:       Errore
Parole chiave: Classico
Utente:        N/D
Computer:      DESKTOP-6QHQD8M
Descrizione:
Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: Baldur.exe, versione: 0.1.0.0, timestamp: 0x575ed441
Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: Baldur.exe, versione: 0.1.0.0, timestamp: 0x575ed441
Codice eccezione: 0xc0000409
Offset errore 0x00453a6f
ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0x1d64
Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d30dd86ecd1a6e
Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\EET\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\Baldur.exe
Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\EET\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\Baldur.exe
ID segnalazione: ec9d07eb-f554-4da9-bd20-c3a03a42fd8b
Nome completo pacchetto che ha generato l'errore: 
ID applicazione relativo al pacchetto che ha generato l'errore: 
XML evento:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-08-05T11:24:34.504154800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>6861</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-6QHQD8M</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Baldur.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.1.0.0</Data>
    <Data>575ed441</Data>
    <Data>Baldur.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.1.0.0</Data>
    <Data>575ed441</Data>
    <Data>c0000409</Data>
    <Data>00453a6f</Data>
    <Data>1d64</Data>
    <Data>01d30dd86ecd1a6e</Data>
    <Data>C:\EET\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\Baldur.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\EET\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\Baldur.exe</Data>
    <Data>ec9d07eb-f554-4da9-bd20-c3a03a42fd8b</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I also found an apparent dupilication in mod components, that might cause issues: "Move Items into SoA" -> "Some of your old items found in Irenicus Dungeon (ONLY FOR EET)" and "EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) Tweaks" - > "Import party items to SoA".

And also: "EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) Tweaks" - > "Edwin appearance" (or Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc, Viconia) and "The Picture Standard for BG2:EE" -> "Standardized Edwin" etc. For example, I am able to select BG1 in the first mod component and BG2 in the second, and I get no warning from BWS.

Edited by Blash2, 06 August 2017 - 06:20 AM.

#4167 -Remial-

-Remial-

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

Hi. I don't quite know what is happening, so I will just post the log with errors. Some strange things happened there, like unknown symbols, that looks like encoding error.
Apparently, my installation quits because of error of .bat's step.

BWS resides in c:\BigWorldSetup
Games bg1: c:\games\bg1 , bg2: c:\games\bg2
downloads reside in c:\temp

I'm using last gog installers which are versions 2.3.67.3.

initially games were installed in c:/gog games/Baldurs Gate - Enhanced Edition and C:\gog games\Baldurs Gate II - Enhanced Edition. I didn't know, if these locations are fine, so c:\games\bg1 and c:\games\bg2 are just copied backups.

Should I reinstall my games at diffirent locations with new backups? Because I've tried it with c:\gog games\ and I've got the same result.

https://gist.github....0ad32bb8eb0062e

#4168 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

Hi. I don't quite know what is happening, so I will just post the log with errors. Some strange things happened there, like unknown symbols, that looks like encoding error.
Apparently, my installation quits because of error of .bat's step.

BWS resides in c:\BigWorldSetup
Games bg1: c:\games\bg1 , bg2: c:\games\bg2
downloads reside in c:\temp

I'm using last gog installers which are versions 2.3.67.3.

initially games were installed in c:/gog games/Baldurs Gate - Enhanced Edition and C:\gog games\Baldurs Gate II - Enhanced Edition. I didn't know, if these locations are fine, so c:\games\bg1 and c:\games\bg2 are just copied backups.

Should I reinstall my games at diffirent locations with new backups? Because I've tried it with c:\gog games\ and I've got the same result.

https://gist.github....0ad32bb8eb0062e

How to create copied/multiple game installs is outlined here:

http://gibberlings3....topic=28934&hl=

Maybe that helps.

The Sandrah Saga

#4169 -Remial-

-Remial-

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for the link.

But I do not aim to get a multiple installation, it would be a good result to get just one installation of bws, that will unite my games to Enhanced edition trilogy.

Am I understanding correctly, that c:\gog games\ is not a viable location to perform a clear installation for further modding through BWS?

I would like to remove any traces of previous installations, to attempt to do it right this time.

#4170 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the link.

But I do not aim to get a multiple installation, it would be a good result to get just one installation of bws, that will unite my games to Enhanced edition trilogy.

Am I understanding correctly, that c:\gog games\ is not a viable location to perform a clear installation for further modding through BWS?

I would like to remove any traces of previous installations, to attempt to do it right this time.

The link I gave you was explaining the method of how you could point engine.lua from your copy to another target and take it from there. You just need to adjust that method to your needs.

And - you are aware of modmerge and that you need it for gog games?

The Sandrah Saga

#4171 -Remial-

-Remial-

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:15 PM

Thanks for the link.

The link I gave you was explaining the method of how you could point engine.lua from your copy to another target and take it from there. You just need to adjust that method to your needs.

Yes, I modmerged my sod copy of bg1 using modmerge 1.1.

Okay, I shall try this method.

#4172 -Remial-

-Remial-

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for the link.

Yes, I modmerged my sod copy of bg1 using modmerge 1.1.

Okay, I shall try this method.

#4173 -Remial-

-Remial-

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:26 PM

Sorry for double posting, I've got server error here. Please delete this post and doubled one/

#4174 -Remial-

-Remial-

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:30 AM

Okay, I did full uninstall with deleting old my documents folders with saves and such. And installed games anew. This is the cleanest installation that I can get.

Here is the new log.

https://gist.github....d8d4f5b4ab00cb4

Just in case, I made screenshots of each stage of installation, including modmerge.

Spoiler

#4175 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:50 AM

You have chosen Russian language

RU chosen.jpg

Also go back to the very first page of BWS and in the bottom right box select another language.

The Sandrah Saga

#4176 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

HEADS UP to anyone installing Faiths & Powers in BWS: as of v0.74 it disables dual-classing to cleric or ranger.

There are good reasons.

BUT it also now ships with an .ini file that lets you enable dual-classing.  .ini files don't usually work with BWS but I'm trying something out: you can copy the .ini file from the FnP mod folder into your /override directory, and change the setting in this copy.  That way the mod folder size is unchanged and BWS won't freak out about the file size changing.

That should work to set the setting, but I don't have Windows or BWS, so I can't test it.  So, be forewarned.  ;)

#4177 Tzarnal

Tzarnal
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

Status of the BWS at end of July August 2017

- Attempt to clarify -

The BWS tool has two major components:

1) the tool itself, i.e. the software and GUI that do the job of constructing a modded game.

2) a database of configuration files for mods, download links, install sequences, conflicts and dependencies for various supported games.

Apart from this, BWS depends on two outside resources, over which BWS has no direct control::

3) Weidu

4) Fixpack

concerning 1)

In April, the last rremaining maintainer for BWS has made this announcement (http://www.shsforums...206#entry594820). The reasons for it are partly technical due tor BWS software itself and partly due to having no control over e.g. Weidu or other prerequisites (Alien has given his reasons in various posts, they are understandable and I will not repeat them here).

This means that the tool itself and its functionality will not further develop. Take it as a functional *freeze*. That does not mean BWS is dead, it only means whatever we do with it in the future has to be within the limits of what the tool currently can do.

Unless somebody with the required skills steps up OR a new tool is developped.

concerning 2)

Maintaining the living database for the various games within the limits outlined above is still possible and (partly) performed. This however requires teamwork and contribution. BWS is hosted on bitbucket (very similar to github) and is open to the public. Anyone can contribute, request updates, provide mods etc. You clone BWS to your PC, make changes, make a pull request - it will be accessed and checked and if everything is technically okay, it will be merged into the BWS and update it. All you need to know is published in the BWS readme that is in every download of BWS.

Currently only two one *subsets* of that database are actively maintained

- EET (BG2EE may at times participate from updates that fall out of EET maintenance) There are modders still updating their own mods for EET configurations following the procedure described above, but there is no overall maintainer

- PSTEE

This is done by volunteers from the modding community who have struggled to acquaint themselves with the topic and provide what they can within their limited skills.

Again, anybody with an interest to contribute or even *adopt* one of the other games (BGT, BG2, IWD...) is free to do so. In case, nobody does it, the status quo is preserved.

So I'm currently exploring ( not guaranteeing anything here ) a .net solution to replace the BiG World Setup that can make use of the existing database of .ini's etc. If possible could one of the people familiar with the material explain in general terms how this all sort of works together. I could and probably will look at the source to see what its doing but I feel some documentation would valuable. If not for me then for others who might try and do something similar.

I have some general questions that I thing others might also want awnsers too:

1) How is installation ordered determined.

2) Whats going on in selection.txt just in general ?

3) Are there any non obvious critical steps during the installation process that are hidden in the code somewhere. If so what are they or where can I find them.

4) Can you describe the general process of how BWS does what it does ?

#4178 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

I have some general questions that I thing others might also want awnsers too:

1) How is installation ordered determined.

2) Whats going on in selection.txt just in general ?

3) Are there any non obvious critical steps during the installation process that are hidden in the code somewhere. If so what are they or where can I find them.

4) Can you describe the general process of how BWS does what it does ?

I can only answer the more practical questions 1) +2) - the technical issues are not my knowledge.

1) installation order is determined manually. This is partly based on the years of experience with BWP, but also on mod dependencies, user reports and mod readme's. Install order is defined on component basis, so different components of the same mod may be split in the installation. Mods that have no strict dependencies etc are simply placed into the group (NPCs, Shops, Quests...) they fit best.

A special case is the BG2EE select.txt - it serves both BG2EE and EET and is split in a part where EET installs mods on BGEE, the EET itself, the post-EET mods and the EET_end activities.

2) Most of the answers to this question can be found here BWS-Guide.

Edited by Roxanne, 09 August 2017 - 10:27 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#4179 Tzarnal

Tzarnal
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

Ah thank you. I did not realize that the FAQ would actually be about the BWS technical side instead of a general one.

Edited by Tzarnal, 09 August 2017 - 10:46 AM.

#4180 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:00 AM

HEADS UP to anyone installing Faiths & Powers in BWS: as of v0.74 it disables dual-classing to cleric or ranger.

There are good reasons.

BUT it also now ships with an .ini file that lets you enable dual-classing.  .ini files don't usually work with BWS but I'm trying something out: you can copy the .ini file from the FnP mod folder into your /override directory, and change the setting in this copy.  That way the mod folder size is unchanged and BWS won't freak out about the file size changing.

That should work to set the setting, but I don't have Windows or BWS, so I can't test it.  So, be forewarned.  ;)

I am not sure which (non-existing) BWS problem you try to solve, but putting ini files into override is a pretty weird solution.

Why not do such a simple thing as to put *enable dual classing* as an install option? If selected, use your macro to set the variable. What does BWS have to do with it?

Other than that it obviously serves as the cheap culprit for everything these days...*I don't have BWS but I know it freaks blablabla*..

The Sandrah Saga