Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#4401 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

Also, you should absolutely be keeping and restoring backups of BG/BG2 each time you attempt an install - the BWP supports this and will ask you in two places to restore each one.

Every time I run BWS, I'm restoring a fresh copy of the game unaltered from my Steam folder. I don't use BWS to make an additional backup because that is redundant.

I'll take a look at your tweaked Maximum set-up compared to what I was running before to see what is different. That might help narrow down if there is a problem mod.

Edit: Even with a non-tweaked "Recommended" pre-set, which is very few mods, it crashes at the very same point. The only thing I can think of at this point is that I'm in the Windows 10 Insider Program, so I get early builds of the next Windows 10 updates and maybe something is slightly different with my computer that the BWS scripts just don't like. I might try running BWS on my work laptop to test there as well.

From what you describe, it does not sound that any specific mod causes the problem,

EET installs in several steps and BWS follows that.

1. Game selection - this seems to work fine

2. Download of mods - >>> here check in your download folder if BG2 mods e.g. EET itself is downloaded?

3. Unpacking of BG1 mods - this seems to work fine

4. Installation of BG1 mods - this is what your weidu.log confirmed as working

5. Unpacking of BG2 mods >>>>>this is where in your case it breaks for unknown reasons do you leave BWS here and restart it or something like that? You should get a prompt at this time to start the BG2 part, just like you had before for BG1.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#4402 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

2. Download of mods - >>> here check in your download folder if BG2 mods e.g. EET itself is downloaded?
5. Unpacking of BG2 mods >>>>>this is where in your case it breaks for unknown reasons do you leave BWS here and restart it or something like that? You should get a prompt at this time to start the BG2 part, just like you had before for BG1.

EET-Master.zip is downloaded. I assume that is the main EET installer.

I don't intentionally restart BWS or anything. Once it is done with the BG1 portion it asks me to launch BG1, create a new character and save. I do that. I return to the BWS installer and hit Continue. I see a new window with a progress bar pop-up for half a second, and then BWS closes. There is nothing in the BG2 folder and nothing else in the Weidu.log

I'm going to copy everything to my work laptop and try there on another computer.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4403 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

Edit: Even with a non-tweaked "Recommended" pre-set, which is very few mods, it crashes at the very same point. The only thing I can think of at this point is that I'm in the Windows 10 Insider Program, so I get early builds of the next Windows 10 updates and maybe something is slightly different with my computer that the BWS scripts just don't like. I might try running BWS on my work laptop to test there as well.

Or perhaps it's because you're attempting this with a Steam installation. I can't report on whether or not that should work. I can say you absolutely need SoD for EET installs, though.

Edited by Jenavee, 30 December 2017 - 10:55 AM.

Join us on the Baldur's Gate Discord @ https://discord.gg/Rp7Cu5k

c2oJYXg.gif

#4404 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

I don't intentionally restart BWS or anything. Once it is done with the BG1 portion it asks me to launch BG1, create a new character and save. I do that. I return to the BWS installer and hit Continue. I see a new window with a progress bar pop-up for half a second, and then BWS closes. There is nothing in the BG2 folder and nothing else in the Weidu.log

I'm going to copy everything to my work laptop and try there on another computer.

I have a suspicion but I have no idea how to verify it or how to work around it for you.

There are some mods that download as self-installing exe files instead of zip or rar archives. BWS has a special handling for those so that they do not self-install but work at the right point in install sequence. These mods appear in BG2 (so BG1 works fine for you). It may be this process that fails on your PC.

The Sandrah Saga

#4405 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

That process is radically different from how it's functioning on my machine. I start BWS, it tells me to pick a language, then the type of install, THEN asks me to go back and make saves at this point (already done). I then choose BG2 EE / EET, then it wants my BG EE / BG2 EE directories, which I give it. Then I choose mods/components, it downloads and installs the mods, all as a single process interrupted by two or three descriptions of what it did / will do next. Nowhere along that line does it stop to tell me it will do / has done BG1, and wants confirmation to proceed to BG2 stuff. Instead, it tells me it downloaded everything and prepared for unpacking. Then it does the extractions. Then it does the install of the extracted stuff.

Edited by Jenavee, 30 December 2017 - 11:13 AM.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4406 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:15 AM

Or perhaps it's because you're attempting this with a Steam installation. I can't report on whether or not that should work. I can say you absolutely need SoD for EET installs, though.

I assume if this didn't work with Steam, someone else would have run into this before me. I think I own BGEE and BG2EE on GOG as well via GOG Connect. I can grab those versions and try if need be.

have a suspicion but I have no idea how to verify it or how to work around it for you.
There are some mods that download as self-installing exe files instead of zip or rar archives. BWS has a special handling for those so that they do not self-install but work at the right point in install sequence. These mods appear in BG2 (so BG1 works fine for you). It may be this process that fails on your PC.

If you can think of a workaround or a way for me to test this, let me know.

The only weird thing I'm noticing is that The Picture Standard requires and brings in Eilistraee's Song (which is otherwise in red).

The downloaded file for Eilistraee's Song is "Eilistraee&#39" with no extension.

The single quote in the file name is breaking the call to download the file.

Edited by enderandrew, 30 December 2017 - 11:21 AM.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4407 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

That process is radically different from how it's functioning on my machine. I start BWS, it tells me to pick a language, then the type of install, THEN asks me to go back and make saves at this point (already done). I then choose BG2 EE / EET, then it wants my BG EE / BG2 EE directories, which I give it. Then I choose mods/components, it downloads and installs the mods, all as a single process interrupted by two or three descriptions of what it did / will do next. Nowhere along that line does it stop to tell me it will do / has done BG1, and wants confirmation to proceed to BG2 stuff. Instead, it tells me it downloaded everything and prepared for unpacking. Then it does the extractions. Then it does the install of the extracted stuff.

I agree, I have never seen BWS ask me to start BG1 and do a save after those steps. What I normally do myself is to start BG1 and create a creature and do a first save in Candlekeep (and similar for BG2) BEFORE I even start BWS or any mod installation. This way the EE directories and lua files are created.

The Sandrah Saga

#4408 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

I agree, I have never seen BWS ask me to start BG1 and do a save after those steps. What I normally do myself is to start BG1 and create a creature and do a first save in Candlekeep (and similar for BG2) BEFORE I even start BWS or any mod installation. This way the EE directories and lua files are created.

It's almost like he didn't actually choose the correct installation type at the beginning.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4409 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:30 AM

It's almost like he didn't actually choose the correct installation type at the beginning.

I've tried Recommended, Tactical and Maximum.

Can you provide a screenshot of what selection I'm supposed to make at the beginning?
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4410 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

I've tried Recommended, Tactical and Maximum.

Can you provide a screenshot of what selection I'm supposed to make at the beginning?

Not that. I mean game selection. You want to choose the BG2 EE / EET after choosing Language.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4411 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

Not that. I mean game selection. You want to choose the BG2 EE / EET after choosing Language.
That doesn't pop-up anymore after the first time you run it. I've wiped the BWS folder completely, downloaded from scratch and tried it repeatedly. It is possible I missed that setting once, but I don't think I've screwed that setting up every time. Just to be sure, I just wiped my entire BWS folder, I downloaded it once again and made sure I picked BG2:EE / EET for my game type and I'm trying it again.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4412 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

No need to keep downloading things. Just keep backup folders with everything in them, like a copy of the BWS archive, your exported mod selection(s), and the mods.

Edited by Jenavee, 30 December 2017 - 12:26 PM.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4413 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

I've been saving the separate download folder. And it seems I'm officially an idiot and the problem is on my end.

The guide says to load the game, make a character and save. I assumed this was just to verify your base game is working. I did that with BG1:EE, but I also assume the game just works with a fresh Steam install. For some reason, I had never done the same with BG2:EE as well. I made a character in BG2:EE, created a save there as well and now the install is progressing. It hasn't finished, but it didn't stop at the previous part either. I don't know why that stopped BWS from touching my BG2:EE folder, but I was just being an idiot.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4414 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

I've been saving the separate download folder. And it seems I'm officially an idiot and the problem is on my end.

The guide says to load the game, make a character and save. I assumed this was just to verify your base game is working. I did that with BG1:EE, but I also assume the game just works with a fresh Steam install. For some reason, I had never done the same with BG2:EE as well. I made a character in BG2:EE, created a save there as well and now the install is progressing. It hasn't finished, but it didn't stop at the previous part either. I don't know why that stopped BWS from touching my BG2:EE folder, but I was just being an idiot.

The games don't build certain folders and files until you've run them once, made a char, saved, and quit. Without those folders BWS will always fail.

Note to self: EET has no option at the moment to un-limit max proficiencies per level. Use the following in each override folder:

Attached Files

Edited by Jenavee, 30 December 2017 - 01:35 PM.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4415 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

What is different in the EE games is that on top of the files in your BGEE and BG2EE directories, there are also files in your user/documents/,,,

These files are created when you first run the game and make a save. Most important for BWS is a file baldur.lua (this is instead of the famous old baldur.ini you may know from BGT). Most likely it was this file that the install process did not find and why it failed.

This fact is important to know, because this is where you need to look if you e.g. want to enable console or look for your savegames. Once the EET install is complete, you will find a myuser/documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy folder where your savegames and configuration files are.

Note that the BG2 part takes significantly longer than the BG1 - especially when you have SCS in the selection. Do not get nervous even if it takes over night.

Edited by Roxanne, 30 December 2017 - 01:48 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#4416 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

Note that the BG2 part takes significantly longer than the BG1 - especially when you have SCS in the selection. Do not get nervous even if it takes over night.

SCS AI components take longer than everything else combined - with the SCS AI components enabled by default, two of my installs actually hit a RAN OUT OF MEMORY (despite having 8 GB of RAM, a huge page file, and tons of disk space) error during the SCS AI portion, since I forgot to split the install into portions by exiting and restarting BWS. Without the SCS AI components, though, I have a maximum EET install down to 2-4 hours, roughly. 

Also, in my experience, installing SCS Smarter AI components is a good way to make yourself miserable later on, particularly on higher difficulties, and ESPECIALLY against mages.

Edited by Jenavee, 30 December 2017 - 02:20 PM.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4417 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

SCS AI components take longer than everything else combined - with the SCS AI components enabled by default, two of my installs actually hit a RAN OUT OF MEMORY (despite having 8 GB of RAM, a huge page file, and tons of disk space) error during the SCS AI portion, since I forgot to split the install into portions by exiting and restarting BWS. Without the SCS AI components, though, I have a maximum EET install down to 2-4 hours, roughly.
The timer is CPU and mod related, if you install just a mod and SCS, it takes less than 10 minutes, now if you install hundreds of cusstom kits and other spell twisting mods, it can take days to install. This is because the mod copies and clones the files so it can use a custom ones from them in what ever it does with them.
RAN OUT OF MEMORY is just the usual, not cleaning the used memory bases, variables etc, the weidu has functions in multiple ways to do it.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4418 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

Well, I have just confirmed you can't cheese debug Gorion into your party for XP from the thugs and ogres. Even if you manage to Ctrl+Q him into the party between the gap in Gorion/Sarevok dialogue and the ambush, him being in the party will break his script so he'll just stand there and get pulped without killing anyone. I also confirmed you can actually kill him *before* leaving Candlekeep, but then you're stuck there forevermore.

EDIT: ...and now I realize I accidentally removed some class kits because they were enabled not in the Kit section of the list but in Rules & Tweaks. FFS, that's the eighth install in four days and the third one today. Just kill me now.

Edited by Jenavee, 30 December 2017 - 05:08 PM.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4419 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:36 PM

I tried installing most of the mods together and there were some errors in the log I have to sort through.

The new Rise of Terror was marked in red because it hasn't been tested, but I wanted to test it myself (especially since Sandrah has hooks in it). But the previous fixes in Big World Fixpack for RoT don't work with the new version.

AC_Quest and Haldamir had rejected patches.

A couple kits from Might and Guile didn't install.

ERROR: cannot convert kit_code or %kit_code% to an integer
ERROR: [override/QD_MCF04.spl] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
ERROR: [d5_blads.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
ERROR: Not_found
Add Multiclass Kits (Might and Guile) was not installed due to errors.

Tales of Anegh, also new and in red, had a few parse errors.

[ToA/base/baf/area/AR5500.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 4 column 1-28
Near Text: )
[GGT] argument [GLOBAL] was expected to be an integer

[ToA/base/baf/area/AR5500.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 4 column 1-28
Too many arguments to [GGT]. Recovering.

Sword Coast Stratagems had a bunch of AI patch failures. 32 failures like these:

Failed to apply general-AI patch to CB510BRD (error message Failure("Unable to parse %RESREF_D5_BASP3_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE%"))

SCS had a lot of other failures (TONS) including a bunch of out of memory errors. I have 32 GB of RAM on my desktop, but I was doing some heavy Photoshop work while letting this run in the background. Next time I'll run it over night.

Sandrah EET additions had a few errors as well.

ERROR: [override/QD_MCP01.spl] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR: [CVMystra.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

SandrahRTF

[SandrahRTF/Baf/RTEdwin.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 577 column 8-39
[Heard] argument [POISONED_200] not found in [SHOUTIDS.IDS]

[SandrahRTF/Baf/RTEdwin.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 593 column 8-39

[SandrahRTF/Baf/RTEdwin.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 609 column 8-39

[SandrahRTF/Baf/RTEdwin.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 625 column 8-39

Enhanced Edition Trilogy End - I wonder if some other mod broke this, and EET-End just caught it while parsing the file.

[action list near line 472, column 2 of IMOENP_.DLG] PARSE WARNING at line 473 column 1-38
Near Text: ActionOverride
syntax error
WARNING: cannot verify action ~SetGlobal("KickedOut","LOCALS",0)
ActionOverride("IMOEN2",ActionOverride("IMOEN2",JoinParty()))
~: Parsing.Parse_error

I just need to figure out what mods/components to take out before I attempt this again. I'm waffling between removing the tactical stuff like SCS and all the NPCs I may never add as companions from the install to keep it a bit simpler. I may just crank up the difficulty in EE and skip SCS.

Edited by enderandrew, 30 December 2017 - 10:02 PM.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4420 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:50 PM

A couple kits from Might and Guile didn't install.

ERROR: [override/QD_MCF04.spl] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
ERROR: [d5_blads.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
ERROR: Not_found
Add Multiclass Kits (Might and Guile) was not installed due to errors.

Sword Coast Stratagems had a bunch of AI patch failures. 32 failures like these:

Failed to apply general-AI patch to CB510BRD (error message Failure("Unable to parse %RESREF_D5_BASP3_KIT_EFFECTS_REMOVE%"))

SCS had a lot of other failures (TONS) including a bunch of out of memory errors. I have 32 GB of RAM on my desktop, but I was doing some heavy Photoshop work while letting this run in the background. Next time I'll run it over night.

Enhanced Edition Trilogy End - I wonder if some other mod broke this, and EET-End just caught it while parsing the file.

[action list near line 472, column 2 of IMOENP_.DLG] PARSE WARNING at line 473 column 1-38
Near Text: ActionOverride
syntax error
WARNING: cannot verify action ~SetGlobal("KickedOut","LOCALS",0)
ActionOverride("IMOEN2",ActionOverride("IMOEN2",JoinParty()))
~: Parsing.Parse_error

I just need to figure out what mods/components to take out before I attempt this again.

Might and Guile, as laid out in a Maximum install, installs and functions in EET properly to the best of my experience (of which I've had a bunch in the last few days), so it's almost certainly an incompatibility with another non-standard option you selected.

SCS AI component is a royal pain in the ass out-of-game and in-game both. I've run into plenty of problems installing that portion of it over the years, and it generally makes combat miserable especially on higher difficulty / against magical enemies. I avoid it whenever possible, and use only the SCS Party AI portion.

EET-End's obviously encountering a problem with another mod, aye - as it's working fine in the selection I gave you earlier. 

c2oJYXg.gif