Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#4441 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

This error message is strange.
1. Sandrah does not check for any specific NTotSC version but for existing files. Those files exist in both versions and the check is already successfully done by the time you get your error. (Or is the error from BWS which thinks you use the interim?)
2. The mod interactions component fails not due to NTotSC but due to Tenya. There is not sufficient data in your post to see why the install does not like Tenya.
3. I wonder why you get this Tenya error this time while in subsequent attempts you had this portion installed successfully?

This was the first time I tried installing NTotSC 2.0, hence the new error. The error was visible in BWS. I was able to right-click on NTotSC Interim and select "pause before this mod" and when it paused for that mod, I manually installed 2.0 with all components with no errors. When I hit resume, I so no option to skip NtotSC Interim. That and the NtotSC Dialogue Fixes failed, but I assume the Dialogue Fixes are likely already in the new 2.0 version.

I think I might just wait a few weeks for the final 2.5 patch to come out for EE, and hopefully NtotSC 2.0 will be integrated into BWS rather trying to force it in via workaround.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4442 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

I *think* SR changes 'Flesh to Stone' to that perma-hold effect (to stop items being lost etc.). I don't recall it changing the 2nd-level 'Protection from Petrification' though... have you looked for it at High Hedge?

I don't know what mod changes which green scroll to 'Protection from Polymorph' but assuming it protects against the whole school of magic, it sounds like the basilisk innate ability just needs to be patched to be in the school of petrification/polymorph... you can do this pretty easily in Near Infinity...

#4443 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

I *think* SR changes 'Flesh to Stone' to that perma-hold effect (to stop items being lost etc.). I don't recall it changing the 2nd-level 'Protection from Petrification' though... have you looked for it at High Hedge?

I don't know what mod changes which green scroll to 'Protection from Polymorph' but assuming it protects against the whole school of magic, it sounds like the basilisk innate ability just needs to be patched to be in the school of petrification/polymorph... you can do this pretty easily in Near Infinity...

From what I'm seeing in my various installs and the source codes / documentations, I'm like 90% certain removing Spell Rev's main component will restore actual petrification - I think, but won't know for certain for another couple hours, that the Spell Rev petrification thing triggers when *anything* tries to petrify you, or at least that's how it looks. Like it checks if you should be getting petrified, and if so, hits you with something that slows you on failed Death save, then turns you gray and Holds you on the next round if you fail the Poly save. So what ends up getting called isn't the Petrification debuff, but a pair of separate ones that bypass normal Alteration protections. Assuming I've pinpointed the issue, this *really* needs to be separated from the main component of Spell Rev, and then fully documented.

Edited by Jenavee, 01 January 2018 - 10:41 AM.

Join us on the Baldur's Gate Discord @ https://discord.gg/Rp7Cu5k

c2oJYXg.gif

#4444 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

...you can do this pretty easily in Near Infinity...
Well, you can also do that with a weidu mod ... that the SR should apply, but doesn't. The problem with SR is, that usually there's no Basilisks in the BG2 game. As they are in BG1.
And yeah, if you actually play the BG1 to BG2 games, you'll notice that the spell was a level 1 in BG1(the original non-EE game), while it's now a level 2 in BG2... and BG1EE etc...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4445 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

From what I'm seeing in my various installs and the source codes / documentations, I'm like 90% certain removing Spell Rev's main component will restore actual petrification - I think, but won't know for certain for another couple hours, that the Spell Rev petrification thing triggers when *anything* tries to petrify you, or at least that's how it looks. Like it checks if you should be getting petrified, and if so, hits you with something that slows you on failed Death save, then turns you gray and Holds you on the next round if you fail the Poly save. So what ends up getting called isn't the Petrification debuff, but a pair of separate ones that bypass normal Alteration protections. Assuming I've pinpointed the issue, this *really* needs to be separated from the main component of Spell Rev, and then fully documented.

CONFIRMED via multiple installs and testing. Spell Revisions main component has a bundled in edit to how Petrification works, causing all forms of defence against default Petrification to fail EXCEPT for Familiar's petrification immunity, making Basilisks impossible to deal with effectively.

WORTH NOTING: If you use a Protection scroll to defend against Basilisks, it *apparently* is NOT properly removed if you Ctrl+R to heal the buffed character. The buff icon is removed from portrait and Record, but you *apparently* retain immunity for over twelve in-game hours. Did not test longer than that, but I moved to a zone 6 hours away after healing and came back, spent more time getting gaze-bombed to no effect. Potentially causes the immunity to be permanent, but would need further testing, and you'd have to check with EEKeeper if the buff could be removed from the save that way.

NOTEWORTHY EDIT: As it turns out, Spell Revisions main component ALSO disables/removes Protection from Petrification as a 1st-circle spell in EET. Likely due to its other changes to Petrification. Removing said component restored the Spell, the Spell Scroll, and the Protection scroll.

WHAT KIND OF HELL IS THIS? So, just looked through Spell Revisions source code again. Turns out the main component is a MASSIVE BUNDLE OF GOODIES riddled with crap like the above 'Petrification Fix' locked into it. This thing DESPERATELY needs to be broken down into separate components.

Edited by Jenavee, 01 January 2018 - 02:04 PM.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4446 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

I'm running a game with SRv4b15 on an iPad (so no console, no EEKeeper, or anything) and I beat all the basilisks with no problem. I think with Potions of Mirrored Eyes? It was no problem for me, so there's something else going on in your install.

As for SR removing a 1st-level spell that invalidates a 6th-level spell attack, and turns what should be some of the most horrifying and dangerous enemies in BG1 into an XP-laden snooze-fest: it was discussed on the SR boards and players at the time were overwhelmingly in favor of it.

As for how you tackle basilisks: if it we're up to me I would make Free Action defend against their gaze (but I don't know if SR does that). A 4th-level spell protecting against a 6th/level effect sounds right to me. (Maybe I'll add this to Tome & Blood's post-SR Spell Tweaks. Also that green scroll should be patched to be effective against basilisk gaze.)

Beyond that, there are several potions available that give you massive save bonuses, or allow you to automatically make all saving throws. Those should be effective against basilisk gaze, since it requires a failed save to take effect.

As for the ctrl-R thing: I think that's just how ctrl-R works. Has nothing to do with mods, it's simply that ctrl-R does not actually remove every single effect from you.

Edited by subtledoctor, 01 January 2018 - 04:59 PM.

#4447 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

I'm running a game with SRv4b15 on an iPad (so no console, no EEKeeper, or anything) and I beat all the basilisks with no problem. I think with Potions of Mirrored Eyes? It was no problem for me, so there's something else going on in your install.

As for SR removing a 1st-level spell that invalidates a 6th-level spell attack, and turns what should be some of the most horrifying and dangerous enemies in BG1 into an XP-laden snooze-fest: it was discussed on the SR boards and players at the time were overwhelmingly in favor of it.

As for how you tackle basilisks: if it we're up to me I would make Free Action defend against their gaze (but I don't know if SR does that). A 4th-level spell protecting against a 6th/level effect sounds right to me. (Maybe I'll add this to Tome & Blood's post-SR Spell Tweaks. Also that green scroll should be patched to be effective against basilisk gaze.)

Beyond that, there are several potions available that give you massive save bonuses, or allow you to automatically make all saving throws. Those should be effective against basilisk gaze, since it requires a failed save to take effect.

As for the ctrl-R thing: I think that's just how ctrl-R works. Has nothing to do with mods, it's simply that ctrl-R does not actually remove every single effect from you.

Potions of Mirrored Eyes do make them a snooze, but whatever was going on, was also removing said potions from the stores that normally had them, or maybe that was another mod, which together was making Basilisks a royal pain in the ass. I also had no clue there even were auto-save potions or +save potions. Either it's been so long I forgot about them, or perhaps they're new/mod item? Hm. I'll keep an eye out in stores but the closest thing I saw yet was Potion of Clarity / Potion of Evasion.

Also, I gotta say, something as complex as Spell Revisions really, *really* needs better / more complete documentation. It took me the better part of a day, four installs of BWS, digging through forty readmes, and two hours of Google to finally track down SR's edit to petrification, all because THE DAMN CHANGE ISN'T MENTIONED ANYWHERE IN THE README. And in fact, it was only a fluke I even found out at all because I stumbled across SR's github while following another lead.

Edited by Jenavee, 01 January 2018 - 05:11 PM.

c2oJYXg.gif

#4448 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

I also had no clue there even were auto-save potions or +save potions. Either it's been so long I forgot about them, or perhaps they're new/mod item? Hm. I'll keep an eye out in stores but the closest thing I saw yet was Potion of Clarity / Potion of Evasion.

Potions of Evasion may or may not work (probably not) but I think one of the "Magic ___" potions will give you auto-successful saves - Magic Shielding or Magic Blocking, I forget which. Also I think that blue and red swirly one? And there may be one other that gives you a +5 bonus, which is not the same as auto-success but is quite good. (Note, I'm talking about an install with IR, here. I don't remember what vanilla potions do, I just remember that they are junk.)

Also, I gotta say, something as complex as Spell Revisions really, *really* needs better / more complete documentation. It took me the better part of a day, four installs of BWS, digging through forty readmes, and two hours of Google to finally track down SR's edit to petrification, all because THE DAMN CHANGE ISN'T MENTIONED ANYWHERE IN THE README. And in fact, it was only a fluke I even found out at all because I stumbled across SR's github while following another lead.

Thing is, SR v3 has a fine readme IIRC.  But SRv4 got to a nice working beta stage and then lost its maintainers, so no one is working on the Readme.  The best place to read about what went into v4 are these three threads:

http://gibberlings3....showtopic=24381

http://gibberlings3....showtopic=24305

http://gibberlings3....showtopic=22694

#4449 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:57 AM

Hello, just a few question regarding EE version of some mods, TDD has a lots of NPC and quests according to old walkthrough i have stored, the EE version is significally reduced, having only robillard. Also on mine last playthough EET.. is that bug with dead khalid fixed? I noticed long time ago that if I remove dead khalid from party, later in SoD campaign i cannot proceed since there lies dead body.. :D .. another question, vecna is still not recreated to EET version? Neverending journey was great adiditon to big world installs, but not in EE version? And very last question regarding EET Iwd game, i was a little bit confused reading Gibberlings forum, what exactly it will do with BGTEE? 

Can I just remove poor khalid from party and keep jaheira since I need more space in mine group? :D

Also there is no bg1 casting sound in EET? :(

// also I have noticed, even with the downloaded mods, every time I start new install, it downloads most of them again, even if I start new installation once per hour, same download folder and still it delays mine installation with those downloading.

Edited by konva, 05 January 2018 - 07:21 AM.

#4450 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:38 AM

1)Neverending journey was great adiditon to big world installs, but not in EE version?

2)And very last question regarding EET Iwd game, i was a little bit confused reading Gibberlings forum, what exactly it will do with BGTEE?

2. YOU NEED TO REMEMBER THESE NAMES, there's no BGTEE, it's EET. And we'll see what IwD-inEET will do, but likely it will add the possibility to go though the whole IwD game and a few IwD2's areas. But K4thos hasn't come back to announce the projects completion, or release. It probably needs the next EE update(v2.5) too, to come from beta to actual release.

1. well, if you actually read the instructions here... you need to follow them and it's not even compatible with EE games. So. Neither was the NEJ that has ever been, the BWP had a tentative relationship with the mod that was severally lacking in lots of spaces and since Leonardo stopped posting, it's gone now. I also posted a few times with Vlad and he took those well, with in time, as I gave him the BWS fixpacks resouces to look at. The mod is still under some construction and as such, there's no genuine intrest of porting it to EE games ... yet.

Edited by The Imp, 05 January 2018 - 07:39 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4451 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

Hello, just a few question regarding EE version of some mods, TDD has a lots of NPC and quests according to old walkthrough i have stored, the EE version is significally reduced, having only robillard. Also on mine last playthough EET.. is that bug with dead khalid fixed? I noticed long time ago that if I remove dead khalid from party, later in SoD campaign i cannot proceed since there lies dead body.. :D .. another question, vecna is still not recreated to EET version? Neverending journey was great adiditon to big world installs, but not in EE version? And very last question regarding EET Iwd game, i was a little bit confused reading Gibberlings forum, what exactly it will do with BGTEE? 

Can I just remove poor khalid from party and keep jaheira since I need more space in mine group? :D

// also I have noticed, even with the downloaded mods, every time I start new install, it downloads most of them again, even if I start new installation once per hour, same download folder and still it delays mine installation with those downloading.

I have a few answers

- TDDz has the same contents and quests it ever had, only it is now selectable components and Robilard is optional, he always was the only joibable NPC in that mod.

- no idea what problem you had with Khalid, not even sure it has anything to do with EET, never saw anyone else mention that issue.

- NEJ will never be an EE mod per decision of its author and there is nothing to comment here anymore, the guy has made that clear once and for all.

- Vecna seems to be unmaintained since years, it is an oddity and most likely not even worth considering,

- there was a plan for an IWD-in-EET that would add IWD as an optional mod to the world of BG as available through EET. It has not been released yet.

- BWS downloads mods for which it cannot verify that the already existing download is the last updated one. This is mostly the case for mods hosted on github to which modders can frequently supply updates or fixes without a change in the download link or modname. To be safe, BWS downloads them again to assure you have the latest version.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#4452 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:58 AM

- no idea what problem you had with Khalid, not even sure it has anything to do with EET, never saw anyone else mention that issue.
Play though SoDs, when you have dead Khalid, but with alive Jaheira, it might get stuck in some place. .. but I think I saw an EET fix that allowed to separate the NPC couples... so that might not happen anymore, but testing never gets old.

#4453 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:04 AM

I have a few answers

- TDDz has the same contents and quests it ever had, only it is now selectable components and Robilard is optional, he always was the only joibable NPC in that mod.

- NEJ will never be an EE mod per decision of its author and there is nothing to comment here anymore, the guy has made that clear once and for all.

- Vecna seems to be unmaintained since years, it is an oddity and most likely not even worth considering,

- there was a plan for an IWD-in-EET that would add IWD as an optional mod to the world of BG as available through EET. It has not been released yet.

- BWS downloads mods for which it cannot verify that the already existing download is the last updated one. This is mostly the case for mods hosted on github to which modders can frequently supply updates or fixes without a change in the download link or modname. To be safe, BWS downloads them again to assure you have the latest version.

-The original TDD has those NPC's: Adaraio, Robillard, Avaunis, Kagain, Yeslick, Kivan .. but only interesting person for me was adario, who perfectly fits the thief spot in mine party :P

-The dead khalid problem im sure I have mentioned some time ago in somewhat thread... later I could try to find that.

-With the statement regarding about NEJ .. ok what should I do since they dont want.. maybe prayers could help :D

- As for venca, i havent played so long to test that so I was just curious.. :)

#4454 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:18 AM

I have a few answers

-The original TDD has those NPC's: Adaraio, Robillard, Avaunis, Kagain, Yeslick, Kivan .. but only interesting person for me was adario, who perfectly fits the thief spot in mine party :P

-The dead khalid problem im sure I have mentioned some time ago in somewhat thread... later I could try to find that.

-With the statement regarding about NEJ .. ok what should I do since they dont want.. maybe prayers could help :D

- As for venca, i havent played so long to test that so I was just curious.. :)

The best advice I can give you is to look for BWPv17 http://www.shsforums.../59470-bwpv17/. This may be more to your taste than EET.

The Sandrah Saga

#4455 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:01 AM

Hi, anyone know how to fix the SCS installation : "Out of Memory" ?

#4456 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:44 AM

Hi, anyone know how to fix the SCS installation : "Out of Memory" ?
Pausing the install during the SCS's components and installing them individually. It's not really automatic fix. The pun intended.

#4457 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

well im just trying "retry" option, it now works about 2 hours and still keeps working.. but.. i noticed in one part out of memory message but continues. Now I have again that error.

Spoiler

How to continue? In mine past installation I got same error, but simply retry fixed that.

I mean how could I pause the installation you mentioned since it keeps working..

Edited by konva, 06 January 2018 - 07:50 AM.

#4458 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

well im just trying "retry" option, it now works about 2 hours and still keeps working.. but.. i noticed in one part out of memory message but continues. Now I have again that error.

Spoiler

How to continue? In mine past installation I got same error, but simply retry fixed that.

I mean how could I pause the installation you mentioned since it keeps working..

If you select *pause* in BWS, the program will pause after it finished/failed installation of the current mod component. If the current component it works on is an SCS component, this may take quite long until you see the effect. The better way is to select already during mod selection (right click on the mod opens a menu with options) the *pause before install* for SCS. When BWS comes to that point, it pauses, you do the manual component-wise SCS install, you continue BWS.

The Sandrah Saga

#4459 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:04 AM

So I need to completely remove baldurs gate and reinstall from steam until I can proceed? I was just hoping there is another possibility to fix that.. :(

#4460 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

So I need to completely remove baldurs gate and reinstall from steam until I can proceed? I was just hoping there is another possibility to fix that.. :(

The option is to wait until the current SCS component has finished. This is just one method, another is to open more memory for SCS on your PC but in any case, you cannot do these things while the current component is still worked on.

The Sandrah Saga