Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#4461 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

I have backup.. and steam version so when in some installation i restroed backup bws creates total mess so compete uninstall and reinstall wirh modmerge ro sod is one simple solution in that case

#4462 Blash2

Blash2
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

Hi, anyone know how to fix the SCS installation : "Out of Memory" ?

Of course.

CAREFULLY read posts #11 and #17 on this thread: http://gibberlings3....showtopic=28718

This is the only working solution. Error gone forever.

Edited by Blash2, 06 January 2018 - 03:32 PM.

#4463 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:28 PM

Hi, anyone know how to fix the SCS installation : "Out of Memory" ?

Of course.

CAREFULLY read posts #11 and #17 on this thread: http://gibberlings3....showtopic=28718

This is the only working solution. Error gone forever.

When BWS runs, does it grab an updated Weidu and use that, or whatever executable is bundled with each mod? If it is grabbing a recent Weidu to use for everything, then if that were patched to allow the the use of more than 2 GB of memory, that would cover every mod.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4464 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

How do i check if it takes updated weidu?

#4465 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:22 AM

How do i check if it takes updated weidu?
In BWS, the weidu.log will have it. Other than that, I suppose you can also read the code, but that's... a little too much I suppose.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4466 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:13 AM

ok, and when I install SCS manually when BWS pause before installation, i have to check all components and choose all components manually, right?

#4467 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:17 AM

ok, and when I install SCS manually when BWS pause before installation, i have to check all components and choose all components manually, right?
Well, yeah. That's what usually happens when installing things manually. :P

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4468 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:17 AM

You need not do everything in one go. You can call the setup-SCS.exe multiple times and (s)kip the components you already installed and select to (i)nstall stuff you want at your choice. You can exit and restart this many times when ever a single component has finished. Avoids out of memory.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#4469 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

You need not do everything in one go. You can call the setup-SCS.exe multiple times and (s)kip the components you already installed and select to (i)nstall stuff you want at your choice. You can exit and restart this many times when ever a single component has finished. Avoids out of memory.

If this is the worst offender for out of memory errors, it would be nice if the mod was updated with a Weidu executable that was patched to allow the use of more than 2 GB of memory, or if the mod isn't going to be updated, if the BiG World Fixpack included said patch. It sounds like this is an edge case and all, but is there maybe incentive to start compiling a 64-bit version of Weidu to avoid this?
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4470 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:02 AM

If this is the worst offender for out of memory errors, it would be nice if the mod was updated with a Weidu executable that was patched to allow the use of more than 2 GB of memory, or if the mod isn't going to be updated, if the BiG World Fixpack included said patch. It sounds like this is an edge case and all, but is there maybe incentive to start compiling a 64-bit version of Weidu to avoid this?

The latest Weidu version is this:

http://gibberlings3....topic=29170&hl=

And there is no need to patch anything because

- BWS always downloads the latest Weidu version

- the auto-update function in Weidu automatically upgrades all setup Weidu executables for all mods in your game to the latest version

- if you do not use BWS, all mods will use the highest version of Weidu contained in the game, either included in any of the mods or downloaded by yourself from the link above.

The Sandrah Saga

#4471 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:19 AM

- the auto-update function in Weidu automatically upgrades all setup Weidu executables for all mods in your game to the latest version
- if you do not use BWS, all mods will use the highest version of Weidu contained in the game, either included in any of the mods or downloaded by yourself from the link above.

That is fantastic news that BWS grabs the latest Weidu and uses that for all the mod installers. However, if that is a traditional 32-bit executable, it still can't use more than 2 GB of RAM and may run into the "Out of Memory Errors".

This could be fixed by

1. The Weidu maintainer(s) pre-patching their version to use more RAM
2. The Weidu maintainer(s) releasing a 64-bit version that has no RAM restrictions at all
3. BWS applying a 4 GB patch such as this one to Weidu before replacing all the installers (which can be run from a command line/script) http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

If none of those solutions are likely to occur, I'm curious if it would be possible to pause BWS to where I can apply said 4 GB patch to the Weidu.exe myself before it uses that to replace all the installers.

Edited by enderandrew, 08 January 2018 - 12:20 AM.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#4472 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:26 AM

That is fantastic news that BWS grabs the latest Weidu and uses that for all the mod installers. However, if that is a traditional 32-bit executable, it still can't use more than 2 GB of RAM and may run into the "Out of Memory Errors".

This could be fixed by

1. The Weidu maintainer(s) pre-patching their version to use more RAM
2. The Weidu maintainer(s) releasing a 64-bit version that has no RAM restrictions at all
3. BWS applying a 4 GB patch such as this one to Weidu before replacing all the installers (which can be run from a command line/script) http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

If none of those solutions are likely to occur, I'm curious if it would be possible to pause BWS to where I can apply said 4 GB patch to the Weidu.exe myself before it uses that to replace all the installers.

You can go here http://forums.pocket...board,44.0.html and make a proposal/request.

The Sandrah Saga

#4473 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:01 AM

Now, that's fantastic, but let's back out into actual reality though. Yes, the auto update would usually happen at the start... except that people today use command line -tools to install their mods, say like BWS, and what those usually have is they use the no-auto-update feature that weidu.exe has. And while at it, the BWS does this so it can run the .exe's faster*. As it still a linear program that has no multiple simularly executed commands, so it could use multiple CPU cores. Just like every other game modifier program. It is NOT build for that.
There's also problems coming from the code language the weidu.exe is built from as it can't handle larger than 16Mb files at read. But to fix that, it's said one would need to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up with a re-chosen easier to understand code base. :P

*it also downloads the weidu.exe from an archive during the setup start, which is what I referred to, 2 of my replies earlier. Well..

3. BWS applying a 4 GB patch such as this one to Weidu before replacing all the installers (which can be run from a command line/script

The problem with 3 is that it needs to be done to every weidu.exe, aka setup-*modname*.exe in the folder, and that could have unforeseen problems. Especially on non 64-bit machines... or so I suspect ... as I have no actual understanding of the things.

Edited by The Imp, 08 January 2018 - 01:04 AM.

#4474 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:57 AM

Hi guys, is there any possibility for EET to have BG1 classic casting sounds? I like them much compared to newer ones :D

#4475 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

its hard to install same installation as previous one... too many errors with unknown reason since im just replicating about 2 week old installation... 

Spoiler

any ideas why this error occurs?

Edited by konva, 08 January 2018 - 11:40 AM.

#4476 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

its hard to install same installation as previous one... too many errors with unknown reason since im just replicating about 2 week old installation... 

Spoiler

any ideas why this error occurs?

The error sometimes occurs with mods that install NPCs + kits due to some earlier error somewhere (outside of this mod). You can recover if you uninstall the complete Sandrah mod and manually install it component-wise. I have seen this error randomly with every mod that adds a kit for its NPC at one time or other and I have seen many attempts for explanations but no solution yet. My own experience is that it happens randomly and is not specific to my mod.

The Sandrah Saga

#4477 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

ok thanks, trying that, hope it works,.. btw installation stops after finish or console keeps installing all next mods?

#4478 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

ok thanks, trying that, hope it works,.. btw installation stops after finish or console keeps installing all next mods?

If you do that during a BWS install you would pause (not close) BWS and just use setup-SandrahNPC.exe to uninstall and re-install. I would suggest to also just manually install the SandrahRtF and SandrahToT afterwards and tell BWS to skip them, should it ask.

You can just look at weidu.log to see that everything is installed correctly. Afterwards just continue BWS.

The Sandrah Saga

#4479 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

okay i just pressed R and it automatically detects that its installed, but now mazy causes trouble :D

Spoiler

// just skipped that part, working well the rest of install, so nvm :D but for other who might have this error, whats the fix please?

Edited by konva, 08 January 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#4480 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

okay i just pressed R and it automatically detects that its installed, but now mazy causes trouble :D

Spoiler

// just skipped that part, working well the rest of install, so nvm :D but for other who might have this error, whats the fix please?

It is not a known error so there is no fix for it yet.

The mod is NPC_EE component 762. The mod is maintained by subtledoctor http://www.shsforums...1-subtledoctor/ who is a very active modder here, so you can either report it to him or wait if he eventually picks up the issue from your post.

Edited by Roxanne, 08 January 2018 - 12:45 PM.

The Sandrah Saga