• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Kai of Candlekeep

Kai of Candlekeep

Me? Nice? Dream on.

• Modder
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

I started playing BG2:EE and read through most of the BG:EE (TOTSC) dialogues, and I kept thinking of how incomplete the four new NPCs feel, as compared to the old Biowares and the extended banters, PIDs, flirt packs, etc. 

So I have decided that I want to expand the four new NPCs (I'm already in the process of writing dialogues and PIDs) and flesh them out a little and maybe tweak the romances a little bit so that there are more possible endings and epilogues in ToB

The reason I'm posting this here is to find out if (A) someone else is already doing this, and (B) are they willing to collaborate, and © if no-one is making a mod like this, can I ask for a volunteer to help me with the coding since I'm definitely not a coder. 

I also welcome feedback and suggestions.

Edited by Kai of Candlekeep, 28 March 2014 - 02:43 AM.

Having a highly active imagination can be very taxing on the purity of one's soul at times...
- Sir Kalthorine ut Wistan

I find you amusing... in a "What the hell is wrong with you?" kind of way...
- Jaheira, BG1

#2 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

I think Kae has already done Neera. Don't know about any of the other though.

-Y-

#3 Kai of Candlekeep

Kai of Candlekeep

Me? Nice? Dream on.

• Modder
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

Yes, I played Kae's Neera expansion mod and it was fantastic.  Made the other NPCs look so subpar.  I want to get them up to speed because I actually really like Hexxat, Dorn and Rasaad, but I feel like their romance tracks are just so boring and rushed, and they missed out on a lot of interjection opportunities throughout SoA.   Not to mention I would like them to react to the Romantic Encounters content and perhaps have some crossmod romance conflicts.

Having a highly active imagination can be very taxing on the purity of one's soul at times...

- Jaheira, BG1

#4 LiellaMod

LiellaMod
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:53 AM

I think it's an awesome idea. I'd love to see more content for Hexxat, not to mention interaction with Romantic Encounters :).

Wish you the best of luck!

| The Liella NPC Mod - adding a extensively written, sensual Bardess to the party | 

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback are to be mailed to

LiellaMod (at) Gmail.com

#5 Twani

Twani
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

Random guest who's not sure if she's logged in or not would absolutely love this idea.  I'm so fond or Rasaad (much nicer then Anomen, I'll say that) but his romance doesn't have as much talks (no Bodhi abduction?  no master wraith talk?  no flirt pack?) as the other four 'canon' NPCs do, and, honestly, much as I'm fond of him, I'm not sure I want seven sons with him.  On the other side, Dorn fully supports your ascension, and it seems like for an evil god/ess, he should have a 'Chosen' ending where he wanders around causing chaos and death in your name.

...I'm a bit late on this comment, I know, but I'd really appreciate it. :)

#6 Kai of Candlekeep

Kai of Candlekeep

Me? Nice? Dream on.

• Modder
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Progress is slow right now (kids on spring break and other life matters) but it is getting done.  Thank you for the patience.

This expansion will contain the following:

- Expanded romance track and possibly (very likely) some tweaks to make them slightly more fun to romance

- Flirt pack/PIDs

- Reactions to the Romantic Encounters mod (which ANY romanced NPC really should have)

- Modified/additional epilogues

- Expanded friendship track

- Crossmod content (I'm starting with the SHS NPC plus a few of my personal favorites)

- Added reactions which I felt were either missing or simply lackluster

- New portrait options

If I can get a good modder/item creator on board with this project, I would also like to add some custom new items

- Jaheira, BG1

#7 Zoya

Zoya
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:11 AM

This sounds really awesome! I love seeing vanilla NPC expansions, they're such great additions to the game when done well. A challenge, too, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Since you're open to suggestions: would it be too excessive to ask if you're willing to include a component like that in Kaeloree's Neera Expansion for BG:EE that made Rasaad and Neera available for PCs of the same sex and changed gender-specific words? There's no such thing for BGIIEE as of now and it kinda beats the purpose if you cannot continue from the first game.

#8 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:39 PM

I don't know - if you're not in love with the original vanilla Rasaad/Dorn/etc romances(too rushed), would it be really worth it to spend months on an NPC(or NPCs) you're not in love with? I mean, if you really love, for example, Hexxat, and would love to write a novel-sized mod all about her, I'm totally for it(though I'm not a fan of that particular gal). But I'm not sure it's going to be worth it, if you're not enjoying every minute of the process. (But, again, please disregard if you're a huge Rasaad or Dorn or Neera fan ).

#9 555dm

555dm
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:04 AM

I found this thread via random googling, in hopes somebody finally decided to act upon the fact that new NPC's simply do not have enough content in comparison to vanilla romances. I was sorely disappointed by the lack of content, length, (new romances in bg2:ee have barely half the length of original romances, same in TOB) inconsistent behavior (no bodhi abduction for example), list goes on.

I was mostly disappointed by Dorn and his non-development through the bg2:ee. I'm not talking about redemption, but I expected to see more development of the themes that seemed hinted at in bg:ee, like different approaches to power (he actually admits there might be something to subtle manipulations and subterfuge compared to brute force), him connecting and developing relationship (like he obviously had with that necromancer woman). He was interesting evil character, hinting at some depth with his history and moral code that has decided to take a sharp dive in bg2:ee, becoming one-dimensional (with interesting theme of freedom I’ll admit) stereotype, caring exclusively about sex/lust and butchering which seems to be the only proper use of power in his mind. No signs of him taking a step back, looking at circumstances and LEARN from experience and forming believable relationship with CHARNAME. Ironically he has very high wisdom and a bit above average intelligence- stats that are not reflected in his behavior very well, although I'll admit his charisma is justified.

I guess I just wish to see satisfying and meaningful evil relationship in this game, not another flat stupid-evil stereotype. Or at least enough talks to make it feel like something is going on through the game. :/

At least Neera's personality improved in bg2:ee.

Anyway, excuse my rant, I simply have to vent somewhere especially since I was starting to get afraid no one would undertake a project like that. So dear Kai of Candlekeep, you made my day, I am very excited to hear about this (IMO crucial) project and i wholeheartedly support your intentions. I cannot offer any coding skills but i would gladly offer any other services you might require (beta testing, I have some skill at Photoshop and drawing- maybe portraits, and offering critique on writing if you will require it-although i don’t have any qualification in that area, just a fan here). I wish you best of luck!

#10 Kai of Candlekeep

Kai of Candlekeep

Me? Nice? Dream on.

• Modder
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

This sounds really awesome! I love seeing vanilla NPC expansions, they're such great additions to the game when done well. A challenge, too, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Since you're open to suggestions: would it be too excessive to ask if you're willing to include a component like that in Kaeloree's Neera Expansion for BG:EE that made Rasaad and Neera available for PCs of the same sex and changed gender-specific words? There's no such thing for BGIIEE as of now and it kinda beats the purpose if you cannot continue from the first game.

I am writing these romances with the idea that they are romanceable by either gender.

I don't know - if you're not in love with the original vanilla Rasaad/Dorn/etc romances(too rushed), would it be really worth it to spend months on an NPC(or NPCs) you're not in love with? I mean, if you really love, for example, Hexxat, and would love to write a novel-sized mod all about her, I'm totally for it(though I'm not a fan of that particular gal). But I'm not sure it's going to be worth it, if you're not enjoying every minute of the process. (But, again, please disregard if you're a huge Rasaad or Dorn or Neera fan ).

I do love the new NPCs, and it will add a huge amount of replayability to my own personal game if I can fix the things that bother me about them, namely: the romances felt too rushed and a little bit bland (they definitely need some spicing up!), and they did miss several opportunities to react to game events and other NPCs.  The aim of this mod is really to flesh them out a little bit more and allow players to see their personality a little bit better.  

I found this thread via random googling, in hopes somebody finally decided to act upon the fact that new NPC's simply do not have enough content in comparison to vanilla romances. I was sorely disappointed by the lack of content, length, (new romances in bg2:ee have barely half the length of original romances, same in TOB) inconsistent behavior (no bodhi abduction for example), list goes on.

I was mostly disappointed by Dorn and his non-development through the bg2:ee. I'm not talking about redemption, but I expected to see more development of the themes that seemed hinted at in bg:ee, like different approaches to power (he actually admits there might be something to subtle manipulations and subterfuge compared to brute force), him connecting and developing relationship (like he obviously had with that necromancer woman). He was interesting evil character, hinting at some depth with his history and moral code that has decided to take a sharp dive in bg2:ee, becoming one-dimensional (with interesting theme of freedom I’ll admit) stereotype, caring exclusively about sex/lust and butchering which seems to be the only proper use of power in his mind. No signs of him taking a step back, looking at circumstances and LEARN from experience and forming believable relationship with CHARNAME. Ironically he has very high wisdom and a bit above average intelligence- stats that are not reflected in his behavior very well, although I'll admit his charisma is justified.

I guess I just wish to see satisfying and meaningful evil relationship in this game, not another flat stupid-evil stereotype. Or at least enough talks to make it feel like something is going on through the game. :/

At least Neera's personality improved in bg2:ee.

Anyway, excuse my rant, I simply have to vent somewhere especially since I was starting to get afraid no one would undertake a project like that. So dear Kai of Candlekeep, you made my day, I am very excited to hear about this (IMO crucial) project and i wholeheartedly support your intentions. I cannot offer any coding skills but i would gladly offer any other services you might require (beta testing, I have some skill at Photoshop and drawing- maybe portraits, and offering critique on writing if you will require it-although i don’t have any qualification in that area, just a fan here). I wish you best of luck!

Funny that you mention "meaningful evil relationship", because that is exactly the direction I am going in with Hexxat and Dorn.  There is no redemption story here, no last-minute alignment changes.  Dorn is who he is, and he makes no apologies for it.  Same goes for Hexxat.  My only real concern is just how explicit I am allowed to be.  Some of the stuff I've written so far is definitely NOT rated PG.

- Jaheira, BG1

#11 555dm

555dm
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:22 AM

@Kai of Candlekeep

These are some great news IMO! I forgot to mention I agree new the NPC's interjections are very underrepresented in the game. As far as I know they act like silent pack mules in Watcher's Keep and through majority of TOB. Again, I'm really glad someone has decided to bring all the NPC's to the same level of quality/content we are used to through the years. :)

#12 Kai of Candlekeep

Kai of Candlekeep

Me? Nice? Dream on.

• Modder
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

Update:

1) This mod is getting a workroom, so it's officially underway and sanctioned by the powers-that-be.

2) I have received the original romance author's permission and blessing to proceed with this project, and they will actually be overseeing the entire process to ensure no funny business ensues.

3) This mod will include both BG;EE and BG2:EE content.

4) There will be explicit content, so be warned.

5) I have found a coder (thank the gods!)

- Jaheira, BG1

#13 Zoya

Zoya
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

Wow, this actually got even more exciting! I thank you and I love you. Stay awesome and inspired!

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

they will actually be overseeing the entire process to ensure no funny business ensues.

This makes me sad.

My only real concern is just how explicit I am allowed to be.

As explicit as you want to be (put whatever warning labels on your mod that are necessary if you so desire).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#15 555dm

555dm
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

I'm happy to hear the project has taken off! Yay! Thread bookmarked (a while ago actually). :)

they will actually be overseeing the entire process to ensure no funny business ensues.

This makes me sad.

I share the concern. While cooperation is great news, I hope it means technical and general support, with you having liberty to stretch the characters and add layers to them. I don't think there is much point in simply reaffirming and extending the (bland) basics IMO.

#16 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:49 AM

Overseeing makes me rather sad, too.  I would've abandoned my own mods in a heartbeat if I had to be conditioned and looked-over-my-shouldered.

#17 Kai of Candlekeep

Kai of Candlekeep

Me? Nice? Dream on.

• Modder
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

Just to clarify: I asked for the oversight.  The comment I made of "they will actually be overseeing the entire process to ensure no funny business ensues" was my lame attempt at off-the-cuff humor.   There are absolutely NO restrictions or conditions on me or the mod whatsoever.  There will be no creative stifling.  Sorry if it threw everyone off. 

I have great respect for the original writer and wanted them to be involved in the process, but since they are too busy with other things to be hands-on with the writing and coding, all they will do is provide feedback. That is the extent of it.

Once there is a proper place for this mod I will post a sample of the content so everyone can judge for themselves whether or not they want to play it.

- Jaheira, BG1

#18 555dm

555dm
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

That is very good to hear, I'm glad you have support and creative freedom. cheers! :)

#19 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

Ok, seems like I'll have to wait before playing bg II:EE - I wanted to start today :P

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#20 555dm

555dm
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:15 AM

any updates? i hope everything is going well so far! :)