TIS MOS converter

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

Since each texture can be at most 1024x1024 pixels you can store up to 25600 tiles which means a map of 160x160 tiles is probably the maximum possible dimension.

up to 100 PVRZ for TIS files limit is not enough to merge all 9 BG areas which would require 30207 tiles. So close... That would be a nice tweak :P

Edited by K4thos, 21 September 2016 - 06:46 AM.

#22 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

With the new tis + prvz it seems that I no longer have the graphical issue that started the whole discussion.

EDIT

Seems I traded one problem for the next - areas with water do not work this way.....

The PVRZ-based TIS format appears to use inverted stenciled tiles for overlays compared to the palette-based TIS format.

Tileset example (AR0046):

Spoiler

#23 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:03 AM

New update: tile2ee-0.3a

Changes:

• Made OS X binary compatible with macOS Sierra.

#24 Ikki

Ikki
  • Validating
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

I tried to use tile2ee to convert tis to pvrz.

I did that the following way :

first i use handle_tileset to uncompress the TIZ in a working directory

then i use tile2ee to convert the tis in this directory

i have at the end of the process pvrz files and a very small tis in the override directory

but i was expecting to get rid of the lines betwen the tiles and it's not the case.

is there some configuration require, before running the conversion to get rid of those lines ?

#25 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

It seems even PVRZ-encoded TIS files can produce these annoying horizontal lines under certain conditions.

Main cause of the lines issue is the tile layout on PVRZ textures. tile2ee uses a simple sequential order to lay out the tile graphics, which the EE games seem to have problems with. It's basically the same layout as implicitly used by the classic TIS format. A more intelligent solution would require more information which are unfortunately not available to the tool.

You can use Near Infinity to (manually) convert TIS files into the PVRZ-based format. NI can use information from associated WED files to properly fix these lines in the game.

Edit: The situation has improved in PST:EE. I would still convert TIS into the PVRZ-based format for performance-reasons, but horizontal lines are much less noticeable in that game. I would expect the next patches for BG(2)EE will fix this issue there as well.

Edited by Argent77, 29 July 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#26 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:15 PM

It seems even PVRZ-encoded TIS files can produce these annoying horizontal lines under certain conditions.

Main cause of the lines issue is the tile layout on PVRZ textures. tile2ee uses a simple sequential order to lay out the tile graphics, which the EE games seem to have problems with. It's basically the same layout as implicitly used by the classic TIS format. A more intelligent solution would require more information which are unfortunately not available to the tool.

You can use Near Infinity to (manually) convert TIS files into the PVRZ-based format. NI can use information from associated WED files to properly fix these lines in the game.

Edit: The situation has improved in PST:EE. I would still convert TIS into the PVRZ-based format for performance-reasons, but horizontal lines are much less noticeable in that game. I would expect the next patches for BG(2)EE will fix this issue there as well.

I have made good experience with the NI feature mentioned. It produces *line-free* tis+PVRZ sets for the majority of maps. There is a remaining issue with areas that have a lot of (large) doors, You may see lines around closed doors that disappear when you open the door.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#27 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

New update: tile2ee-0.3b

Changes:

• Fixed a bug in the included WeiDU library that could fail HANDLE_TILE2EE with large output files

#28 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 05:30 AM

Hello, I have a newbie question on using this tool: when converting TISv1 to TISv2+PVRZ, does tile2ee automatically make use of my MOS files if I put them in the same folder as the TIS files? I could not see any indication whether they were being used or not (doesn't mean there was no indication).

Another thing: is running tile2ee from the command line equivalent to exporting to PVRZ in NI, or do the tools do slightly different things?

#29 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:09 AM

Hello, I have a newbie question on using this tool: when converting TISv1 to TISv2+PVRZ, does tile2ee automatically make use of my MOS files if I put them in the same folder as the TIS files? I could not see any indication whether they were being used or not (doesn't mean there was no indication).

Another thing: is running tile2ee from the command line equivalent to exporting to PVRZ in NI, or do the tools do slightly different things?

You can use the tool for each TIS and MOS file individually or with whole folders. MOS files for the area maps are not needed anymore in EE games though, so they can be safely skipped. If you want to install them anyway then using the original MOS V1 format is still prefered because of their small size.

The result from tile2ee is basically the same as using NI to convert tilesets. However, unlike NI, the tool cannot take advantage of the internal tileset structures defined by the associated WED file, which may occasionally result in small glitches in the game. This is a rendering issue in the game itself.

Btw, best practice is to add the TIS files in the new PVRZ-based format to your mod (use NI for conversion) and do the on-the-fly conversion from pvrz-based to the legacy palette-based TIS format with tile2ee. The advantages are: 1) reduced mod file size, and 2) the converted files don't provoke any glitches in the original games. There is no noticeable quality loss involved when using the pvrz-based format as source format.

#30 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:27 AM

Thanks! I can see now where and why I went off the rails.  :doh:

If you don't mind another question: when using NI for conversion, is it sufficient if I've installed the mod on EE (with rendering errors) and then convert using NI, or would it be better to do the conversion on an install on the old engine?

Edited by Henanigan, 20 September 2021 - 11:16 AM.

#31 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:50 AM

Either option should work. The converted files themselves are perfectly fine in any case. It's the EE games which can't always render them properly.

Edited by Argent77, 20 September 2021 - 10:52 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TIS, MOS, converter