146 replies to this topic

#141 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 1693 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

Creepin,

when it comes to modding games - it may help games to live longer and more copies may be sold, so it's actually game devs who benefit, rather than modders. When it comes to writing mods, modders do not benefit (well we have fun and we learn, but we aren't paid), so we try to respect each other's work. We do inspire ourselves, respect our work and discuss and learn from eachother, what makes it easier to create even better mods. And many devs to actually encourage it. Not so long time ago, Chris Avellone commented on PST mods and said he would be happy to see even more of those. Beamdog supports modding, too. I was encouraged by Beamdog devs to release mods and my modding tutorials were noticed by their community menager. And when a modder goes too far with something... well, the mod is usually ignored by most and some notes are made on the forums (usually by other players and modders).

To make it all work fine among modders, we must respect eachother as we respect game devs (well, I certainly do, otherwise I would move to modding other games). support the industry. And that's what I do. And I do respect modders and I want they to respect me, that's why certain ways of handling metters were developed. That's why we communicate. I created some great talks with Kulyok, Artemius, Kaeloree, CMorgan and many other, well known modders. I worked with Miss E, tested stuff for Sakaki, released stuff with Jastey. We talked, exchanged so many messages to make sure both sides are happy with the results and feel fine about releasing something. It feels quite good and right, then. And everyone's happy and feel respected. And if community is to remain a community, respect is more than needed. That's how for example SHS and G3 and PPG have lived for many many years. If we stop now, then IE modding cummunities will die sooner than we want it to. Cheers.

(By the way, I'm not sure if that's the right place to have that kind of talks, so I'll stop here - just wanted to make clear how I see it... and not just me, but many other modders too, as far as I know. Aaaaand now I'm off)

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 16 August 2017 - 10:02 AM.

#142 jastey

jastey
  • 640 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

but then when we come to tweaking modders characters that suddenly a taboo because... because of... urgh... ahem, little help anyone?

Respect, courtesy, and the wish to remain part of the community. I don't think it's that hard to understand.

Btw.: As soon as original devs demand that mods should be pulled, they will be pulled. Since it didn't happen yet, comparing the two is not useful.

#143 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 2601 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:21 AM

Another view on *respect*.

The work of another modder iinspires me. I like the NPC, I take it in my party and play the contents, It feels odd that my own NPC should share the ups and downs of adventuring life without exchanging a single word with the companion next to her. So my NPC (and by that myself) pay respect to that other NPC by recognising him or her through banters.

Being inspired to write crossmad content for another NPC means for me that I pay that one respect. Nothing that I do for e.g Baeloth or Mur'neth.

If someone feels offended by such attention, it is a matter of minutes to trash the contents. Nobody gets hurt.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#144 jastey

jastey
  • 640 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

I can only point to Lava's reply about working the crossmod together with the other modder. I understand what you mean, but developping content which in the game looks like content of the other mod without the willingness ot collaborate and respect the other modder's view on his/her own mod is lacking respect for the other modder's work.

#145 Ulb

Ulb
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

This is what baffled me for the same last 10 years: noone asked what original game authors thought about tweaking their characters by mods, and that's just how it should be, but then when we come to tweaking modders characters that suddenly a taboo because... because of... urgh... ahem, little help anyone?

It is pretty simple, really.

The people who create video games get paid to do so and the result of their work is the intellectual property of the businesses employing them.

Usually those businesses encourage or at least not hinder modding since it is beneficial to them.

Point in case; Beamdog, who hold the rights to the BG series at the moment, actively encourage modding their games.

Modders on the other hand do what they do for free and their mods are (if not legally then at least morally) their own property.

Also, paying homage is cool and I think no one would make a big deal out of it but cross-mod banters are more than paying homage, they are altering “the original”.

Having the other NPC interact based on your writing alone without consent is the problem here.

OtherModNPC: "Hey, YourModNPC, you're the best, also I hate chicken and love noodle-soup!” -> Not OK since it alters the original.

YourModNPC: "I heard of this guy, OtherModNPC, people say he is a total badass!" -> That's fine since it doesn't touch the original.

With that said, I don't think Roxanne meant any harm or disrespect.

He/she has done a lot of good for modders/players already and gave a lot of old and pretty much dead mods new live by updating them and making them EE(T) compatible.

Edited by Ulb, 17 August 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#146 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6394 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

If someone feels offended by such attention, it is a matter of minutes to trash the contents. Nobody gets hurt.

Another option (as others have implied) is simply to have a discussion with the modders in question, especially if they're still active (which is rare these days). Any mod (any work of any sort) has to go through a number of revisions, and it may be that's all that's needed to satisfy any objections.

It may also be that the objections will make the previous versions of your mod more valuable, which is probably an unintended consequence to those doing the objecting (sorry, but I did not invent the Streisand effect; I'm just merely reporting it).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger." -Billy Connolly

#147 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 2601 posts

Posted Today, 06:48 AM

Another option (as others have implied) is simply to have a discussion with the modders in question, especially if they're still active (which is rare these days). Any mod (any work of any sort) has to go through a number of revisions, and it may be that's all that's needed to satisfy any objections.

It may also be that the objections will make the previous versions of your mod more valuable, which is probably an unintended consequence to those doing the objecting (sorry, but I did not invent the Streisand effect; I'm just merely reporting it).

I was listening to Levon Helm and the Band (great musicians) today:

Forbidden fruit
That's the fruit that you'd better not taste.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EET, Mega Mod