• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#21 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 01:12 AM

Ok, thanx Guest/Galactygon :)
Anyway, don't bother with that sphere for now, I don't think we would able to use it for version 1 (unless TGM claimed otherwise... well, he would be wrong but still...)

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#22 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:34 PM

I think a "Poison Trap" HLA for BHs would be fitting, while Assassins should get an improved version of Alchemy where they could create different types of potions (all dealing with poison effects and some antidotes).

I think more thief kit exclusive items would work better, like daggers that grant AC bonuses and poison or render enemies unconscious.
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#23 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 06:37 AM

I think more thief kit exclusive items would work better, like daggers that grant AC bonuses and poison or render enemies unconscious.

Many item mods add such to the game, while there is an obvious lack in specified abilities and innates. My vote goes definetly for the latter (at least for v1-2).
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#24 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 07:12 PM

Ok then. How about you give thieves a 2+ to hit and 2+ to damage when wielding daggers in order to make them viable weapons?

#25 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:45 PM

Not necessarily bad ideas, but I don't see to much thought in them, frankly. There is the ability called Grand Mastery, that is what you seek. Yet it isn't allowed for thieves, they only get 3 stars in dual-style (with RRebalancing Mod).
But if you take a look at the new HLA selection (have you already?), you might notice that thieves got MANY very useable goodies like Cripple, or the Brew Poison ability for Assassins, which is one of my favourite. Swashbucklers get Acrobatics, while BHs get a new trap and Tracking - and I didn't mention the fully revised scroll system (kudos Littiz!)... :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#26 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 02:16 PM

There's just no incentive to wield daggers. Why wield a dagger in your off hand when you can equip a katana?

#27 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 06 March 2004 - 02:30 PM

A fighter's not gonna equip daggers either, really. But a mage is. So what, are you saying all weapons should be equally useful for all classes?

#28 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 02:46 PM

I know that the dagger you get in ToB is something my thieves always pick up (can't remember the name, but it does have some nice effects like a %chance to invis the thief. Pretty powerful when combined with all the backstabs the thief gets)
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#29 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 03:20 PM

A fighter's not gonna equip daggers either, really. But a mage is. So what, are you saying all weapons should be equally useful for all classes?

Why wield a +3 dagger when you can wield Celestial Fury? The balance isn't there. What the game needs is a few more +4 daggers early in the game, and 6+ ones in TOB with abilities unique enough to make them viable weapons.

A dagger is the single most common weapon used by thieves next to short swords. Artemis Entreri wields a +4 dagger of protection in his main hand I believe. Now a dagger like that would adjust the scales.

#30 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 03:22 PM

I know that the dagger you get in ToB is something my thieves always pick up (can't remember the name, but it does have some nice effects like a %chance to invis the thief.  Pretty powerful when combined with all the backstabs the thief gets)

Even when upgraded this dagger is too weak. It has a 5% chance of doing a nice amount of elemental attack damage, which should be higher IMO.

#31 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:21 PM

Why wield a +3 dagger when you can wield Celestial Fury?

Because you are roleplaying your character. Thats why. ;)

What the game needs is a few more +4 daggers early in the game

No. This would terribly unbalance that part of the game - actually, any weapons that can harm Kangaxx and can be obtained before the Underdark are a joke for me.
Posted Image

#32 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 05:15 PM

Well there's always the Mace of Disruption and the +4 staff you can purchase from Ribald's store. :D

The game certainly needs a few more powerful daggers (perhaps +3 should be the limit before exploring the Underdark). There aren't enough even to role play a thief who uses them. But I suppose there's always Avenger's mod. B)

#33 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 01:36 AM

Well there's always the Mace of Disruption and the +4 staff you can purchase from Ribald's store.

Yes, and they are more than enough. Many mods out there seem to completely leave this fact out of consideration.

BTW Longinus, have you ever tried Deano's Freedom's Reign item pack? If you put aside that its itmes are TERRIBLY overpowered and unbalancing sometimes, plus it contains some grammar mistakes, many of them are very well planned, and there are several thievish weapons as well. ;)
Posted Image

#34 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 02:25 AM

Clubs, me friends. That`s what we need. Clubs. Simple but effective. HUURGH..

Mithril clubs! :D

#35 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:31 AM

Well there's always the Mace of Disruption and the +4 staff you can purchase from Ribald's store.

Yes, and they are more than enough. Many mods out there seem to completely leave this fact out of consideration.

BTW Longinus, have you ever tried Deano's Freedom's Reign item pack? If you put aside that its itmes are TERRIBLY overpowered and unbalancing sometimes, plus it contains some grammar mistakes, many of them are very well planned, and there are several thievish weapons as well. ;)

I tend to be a purist when it comes to playing Baldur's Gate 2. When I install Avenger's mod in order to role play a thief I can't help but feel I'm cheating even though I know thieves can dual wield well etc.

That's why I find a mod that refines the game but doesn't boost its difficulty to nightmarish levels so appealing.

So far, the best mods for players concerned with content blending seamlessly with existing content is Avenger's mod (though his improved thieves are perhaps a little too powerful), the unfinished business mod, and this one.

#36 -SlidMang0-

-SlidMang0-

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:37 AM

So far, the best mods for players concerned with content blending seamlessly with existing content is Avenger's mod (though his improved thieves are perhaps a little too powerful), the unfinished business mod, and this one.

I disagree strongly; there are definitely others. And I'd also like to point of that no way does Avenger's mod fit in seamlessly. How many other game dialogs have options like [scan terrain] in? Good for roleplaying, you might argue, but that's not the issue here.

#37 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 10:14 AM

I disagree strongly; there are definitely others. And I'd also like to point of that no way does Avenger's mod fit in seamlessly. How many other game dialogs have options like [scan terrain] in? Good for roleplaying, you might argue, but that's not the issue here.

Avenger's mod has worked well for me as I tend to roleplay as a thief or thief kit (thieves are emasculated in BG2 and this mod evens the scales without disrupting the game balance too much).

Many mods don't even take game balance into consideration (like the Valen mod or The Darkest Day), so I'm happy if some modders give it the consideration it deserves.

#38 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 07 March 2004 - 10:17 AM

But now you're talking about balance, not seamless integration. Stuff not sticking out as mod content is also significant, and lots of mods fall down there, Avenger's included.

#39 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 10:30 AM

But now you're talking about balance, not seamless integration. Stuff not sticking out as mod content is also significant, and lots of mods fall down there, Avenger's included.

Yes, but the Icewind Dale weapons and items in Avenger's mod do help create the illusion of authenticity (the revised thieves are based on their D&D counterparts as well). Many of the more powerful weapons can't be acquired until late in the game. You can't buy a +5 two handed vorpal sword in chapter 2, or acquire the aid of an uber vampire who can kill all the bosses in the game in a few hits in Chapter 3.

#40 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 07 March 2004 - 10:38 AM

Right, so it's not as bad as some mods. But it's still not integrated "seamlessly", as I said.

But I still have the feeling that you're misunderstanding my point... let's set the weapon balance aside a moment. I come to Avenger's "Chosen of Cyric" encounter, and one of the dialog options is something like "scan the surrounding terrain for tactical advantages". Now, while an admirable idea in roleplaying terms, this is an option absent from every single other dialog in the game, so my mod-detection buzzer is set off.

Perhaps I haven't chosen a particularly awesome example here. Better example: Ascension. It's good... written by the same guy as ToB. BUT, it's not voiced. By the end of ToB, we know all major lines are voiced, and so Ascension sticks out as unofficial.

In an attempt to pretend that my post is vaguely on-topic, I'll say something like "so the Refinements team should take the time to consider whether anything they implement stands out as unofficial content in any way". :)