Photo

BWP 18.2 issues (Improved Coronet, Revised Battles, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 06:03 AM

I followed the current install order from the Big World Project v18.2 English. However, i do have other problems that i try to force them to work. As an example: For Alchemy, Jan never seems to get his Brewing Book. So, i pushed the install for that mod as far down the list as i could. Still no book, but other mods that something doesn't work, i have also pushed to the end. I have had some success with various mods, others i am still waiting to see. Plus at the end i have my own mod that i created, it has always worked fine.

The current install order has the Aurora mod listed before SCS, which is the first that it has been that way. Which doesn't matter because the problem predates this install.

I have never had a perfect mega install, but this is the best i have had it.

Moving on to the change-log, i seem to have a parse error with BG2Fixpack and that's it. Huh, you'd think there would be more. Regardless, i am surprised, what happened to Aurora?

[BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 2 column 1-7
Near Text: SUPPORT
GLR parse error

[BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2]  ERROR at line 2 column 1-7
Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error

FATAL ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error

I don't know if you can use that or not. Either way there it is. If more is needed just ask.

Edited by Truman, 17 December 2020 - 06:04 AM.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 06:47 AM

Moving on to the change-log, i seem to have a parse error with BG2Fixpack and that's it. Huh, you'd think there would be more. Regardless, i am surprised, what happened to Aurora?

[BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 2 column 1-7
GLR parse error

This is because you are using an older weidu.exe to try to make a change-log than the one the mod installed with, as the old one doesn't know what the code is/does, so it fails to go forward. Re-read the instructiuons again, and you know to NOT overwrite the weidu.exe in the game folder with the one provided in the old archive, cause that's the cause of this error. To fix, you now need to overwrite the weidu.exe with the newest weidu.exe in the windows archive in here.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:54 AM

Sorry, not very good at it. I see that the component from Stratagems is one that i have problems with. The mod VCV20 puts a file into the override that is corrupted somehow. That file also screws up the TBTweaks component, 'Mages drop spellbooks'. The offending file is SLMAGE1.cre. What i have always done is after i install the VCV20 mod, i take my backup copy of that file, which i have altered to make it work, and copied it into the override folder. The TBTweak mod and the Stratagem mods both load without problems.

Attached File  change-log.txt   509bytes   164 downloads

Edited by Truman, 17 December 2020 - 09:03 AM.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 09:25 AM

Sorry,...

Definitely no need to be... it's a tool for you to use, so of course there might be problems if you don't know what or how to work with it... and that's why I am here to "help" while stealing your sou.. nevermind that bit. :twisted:

The offending file is SLMAGE1.cre.

Hmm, this would be good to investigate, if you don't mind, could you make a --change-log from that file and then package the created folder as a .zip archive to the forum. Yes, the folder will contain the slmage.00001.cre or similar files which are the backups, and they can show the in file changes the mods installs do, without the need to install them in a game I currently don't even have installed by using a Near Infinity, to an approximate game. The above links instructions should contain all the needed nessasary knowledge .. cause I wrote them. :tease:

Edited by The Imp, 17 December 2020 - 09:28 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 12:48 PM

OK. 

Attached File  change-log.7z   1.21K   145 downloads

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:56 AM

I see that the component from Stratagems is one that i have problems with. The mod VCV20 puts a file into the override that is corrupted somehow. That file also screws up the TBTweaks component, 'Mages drop spellbooks'. The offending file is SLMAGE1.cre. What i have always done is after i install the VCV20 mod, i take my backup copy of that file, which i have altered to make it work, and copied it into the override folder. The TBTweak mod and the Stratagem mods both load without problems.

I split your problems from this post because you raised potential issues with other mods that don't seem to be related to the random treasure issue at all. Vlad's Improved Coronet does indeed copy/overwrite slmage1.cre (and a bunch of other files) causing not-so-"harmless" inconsistencies (see attached):

slmage01.gif

Revised Battles then later globally patches all .cre files with an outdated copy of Nythrun's creature validity check/reordering macro/function, apparently causing further issues.

slmage02.gif

These functions are now built into and updated in WeiDU (the installer for all mods). It seems Revised Battle's goal may have been to correct creatures after the fact (at the end of its installer), but it makes more sense to correct them before doing any patching to avoid corruption and inconsistencies. Indeed, I thought BiG World Project did this long ago but perhaps not anymore. Thus, I suggest omitting that code from the RevisedBattles.tp2 file (comment it out by adding /* at line 5070 before "//The following code blatantly hijacked from Nythrun" and */ at the end of the file ~line 5385).

Revised (fka Improved) Battles hasn't received an update in a while, but its last support topic was here.

Jan's Alchemy has received a relatively recent update, so if you notice issues with it, you might want to report those here.

Proposed addition to Setup-VCv21.tp2 @ line 14117 (after COPY ~NeJE\bdash\coppercr\copy~ ~override~):

PATCH_IF (~%SOURCE_EXT%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~CRE~ = 1) BEGIN
    LAUNCH_PATCH_FUNCTION FJ_CRE_VALIDITY END
  END

This is a band-aid at best; the optimal solution is to patch the existing .cre files and compile scripts (.baf files) instead of overwriting/copying .bcs files, but no one likely has the time and expertise to do that. As a test, I copied the slmage1.cre from Improved Coronet and did a LAUNCH_PATCH_FUNCTION FJ_CRE_VALIDITY on it and then patched it (arbitrarily modified the creature gold field), and the resulting .cre appeared to be fine. Doing this at the time of any initial COPYs avoids such errors as the attached that occur with your subsequent SLMAGE1.cre files from your change-log.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:31 AM

Alright, i have blocked out the code lines as specified by you. I am optimistic concerning it. The problem with the last component of Revised Battles is, it's not an option, it installs automatically. With regard to Alchemy, at one time it all worked and then something got changed. I can no longer remember if Jan had his Book of Brewing when you meet him or not. Either way, it doesn't seem to show up, i use the CLUAConsole to get it. I keep a list of problems that i run into, at the moment it is a little over 1 page, which is good, years ago i had it up over 4 pages. Some problems i have corrected myself (not many), some have been corrected with new versions and some i just ignore and work around them.

I think i mentioned that my current install is the best i have ever had, most or all of the problems i have dealt with.

At this exact moment in time it may be awhile before i start up a new install, there are other things that i am waiting to find out about.

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 07:25 AM

I keep a list of problems that i run into, at the moment it is a little over 1 page, which is good, years ago i had it up over 4 pages.

It might be useful to both players and developers to post that somewhere. And if you've coded your own mods or fixes, you might as well share those too, however small they may be; all huge mods start small.

Make sure you also include that addition to Vlad's Compilation (Setup-VCv21.tp2) the next time you install it. Really, the .tp2 should include that code any time it does a .cre dump (overwriting existing ones in many cases), as it does in far more places than where I indicated. The BWP maintainers (if they're still active) should include this in their fixes as well. As I said, ideally it should patch instead of overwrite. If it were just a few .cre files, I'd fix it, but when I saw how many creatures it overwrites, I said ugh, forget it.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 10:31 AM

Indeed, I thought BiG World Project did this long ago but perhaps not anymore.

It tried it in multiple times and in multiple ways, for multiple reasons to multiple mods, I think you believe me in saying it's not easy, which is why we now have it buildin to weidu, and so it needs to be done before the other patching as you know. And in case you forgot, you were involved too. So  :cheers:

I messaged Vlad in the BWL about the above.

Edited by The Imp, 19 December 2020 - 10:35 AM.

#10 Vlad

Vlad
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 08:35 AM

Thanks, guys. Imp, I've got your message, although I'm not visiting the boards often. I really like to get all your proposed fixes in the next and probably last release. Please mail me to vladp6@gmail.com.