Photo

List of problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 05:13 AM

I have recently come across a posting from someone who had a problem with their install. The problem they list was familiar to me. Over the course of time i have had several problems which have been solved and some that have not been. I have kept a list of most of those problems. I have downloaded that list of problems and some of the solutions that have worked for me and some that are pending a solution. That list is here;

This is a compilation of problems that i have faced, along with some of the solutions i have used. To be upfront, one of my solutions has been to stop using a particular mod entirely. It happens.
My first problem cropped up in the Dungeon of Irenicus. On the second floor where the body of Khalid is, Jaheira gives her speech and then Imoen chims in with her comment about watching Irenicus kill him. Jaheira responds and then it continues for a bit and then ends. Except it doesn't, Imoen starts to repeat herself and then Jaheira repeats and so on. If you save between the exchanges and then exit the game, reloading doesn't work, you can start the game again and load that saved position and it should be alright. If that doesn't work, before you let Jaheira see the body, keep Imoen near the door to the teleporter. Have Imoen walk towrds Jaheira a little bit each time until Imoen gives her comment and then reverse her direction and get away from Jaheira. Imoen should stop talking then, or at least some of the time she does. Both ways do work.
When you first arrive in the docks and you have Yoshimo, he will make the comment about seeing Renal. Sometimes he keeps repeating that line. I do to him like i do to Imoen, i save and then quit. Start the game and load that saved position. He should now stop repeating.
The second problem is Nalia. The mod VCV20 has a corrupted version of Nalia. Her family ring is in an ammunition slot and a short bow is on her right hand finger. It's a simple fix, use one of the editors to move the items, or, before you install the mod alter the file NALIA8.cre, or all of the listed Nalia files. I use DLTCEP.

The rest of the list in no particular order;
The mod Alchemy. Jan's Book of Brewing doesn't always show up, use the CLUAConsole - (JANTOME) It's posible that the problems with Nalia and Jan come from the VCV mod, the component improved Nalia, and Jan.
If you use DSOA, the component for the Gnome Fighter, the Gnome doesn't always show up. You may want to install that component near the end of the installed mods, then there's a good chance he will.
If you use the mod VIC, wait till the end of the installed mods to install Lydia's scroll. It doesn't always show up.
I stopped using banter packs, they don't seem to work properly, or, maybe it's just me that they don't work for.
Try to install Heartwood near the end of the install. It doesn't always end up with the Shadow Druid.
The rope that the Sahuagin king is supposed to give you, never shows up. I wrote a small mod to place the rope in the treasury vault.
Don't use the Fade mod. If Fade is not with you at when you go to Spellhold and the Underdark, when you come back to Athkatla, you can't enter the area with Aran Linvale, you get CTD. Testing.
The mod Raziel had a bad translation. The opening scene in the dungeon of Irenicus has Raziel in one of the cages like your character, but the language is Czech, i think. After the opening, the language was English. If you kick Raziel out of the party, he goes to the Copper Coronet and stands in the exact same spot that Minsc stands in, if you kick Minsc out of the party. You will be unable to pick up either one because of it.
In Revised Battles, the component Improved Mencar Pebblecrusher has a dialogue problem. When you are faced by Ma Pooky and Pa Pooky, Pa Pooky uses the lines from the child you meet in Knights of Dark Renown instead of the lines he should be saying. I fixed this once, what happened?
If you install the mod GBThfKp, the one component where you are asked to kill the guards in the Guard House, i have always accepted the help that's offered, but, i do so after i take care of the outside guards. When i have everyone together outside the Guard House i enter with my own group of 6 people and then after i clean ot the ground floor, i then go out and talk with the Thieves and have them enter. I then continue to to go up to the next floor, clean that out and then go back for the Thieves and ask them to go forward, except they never show up. Doesn't matter, go to the end of the Guard House. Correcting this i use the CLUAConsole, try this;
If you need the assault on the guard house to end properly, use the CLUAConsole;
SetGlobal("TS5Move","GLOBAL",3)
CreateCreature("TS5Thf6") - (Hawrath. He is the one to talk to.)
SetGlobal("TS5Move","GLOBAL",4)
SetGlobal("TS5Move","GLOBAL",5) - Hawrath. He is the one to talk to.
When you do GLOBAL 4 that should end the fighting in the guard house. Use GLOBAL 5 to get the Thieves to tell you that they will be waiting in the Sea's Bounty.

You may then need to do the following to get the Thieves to talk with you.
SetGlobal("BuyDrink","LOCALS",0)
SetGlobal("BuyDrink","LOCALS",1)
The point of all this is, i don't want to share the XP's with the Thieves, but i do want them in the Sea's Bounty. You get points for having a drink with each one in the tavern.

Sometimes if you use Nalia romance, the Burwood quest doesn't start. Use the CLUAConsole;
Global("PGNaliaQuest","GLOBAL",1)
CreateCreature("PGNALTEO")
Use it after the Priest of Tempus, event 3, is in the second floor chapel, but before event 6, the Two Moneylenders.

In VCV, try to install, Cromwell in Brynnlaw near the end of the installs, he doesn't always show up.
From the mod RR, the Shazzellim quest doesn't always show up. I change the order of the Shadow Thief Improvements. My current install, i got the sword, but Jaheira never mentioned it. I thought i had that worked out, have to start again.
The mod Yoshimo's Remorse appears to be screwed up. Some of the lines seem to be out of sequence to the dialogue.
From the mod UB, the component Cat and Mouse is hard to follow the dialogue, some lines seem out of sequence.
In the last 2 installs, the chapter doesn't want to update to chapter 9. If i continus from the ending of SOA, just after the defeat of Irenicus and the speech by Ellesime, you watch the intro to TOB and you end up in the Grove of the Ancients, except if you try to save, the list of saved position is still SOA. TOB ends up totaly screwed up. I believe that it comes from TobR, the Grove of the Ancients. Testing now.

Some of this may or may not mean things to the reader. I originally wrote this for myself to keep track of various things. I am by no means a coder, the code you see above does work, it is what i have garnered over the years and i have a pretty good idea on where to look to find it. On occasion i agonize my way through to a solution, when that doesn't work, i go to the forums in Spellhold Studios, Gibberlings3 and Pocket Plane Group, which is currently undergoing some sort of reformatting.

Reviewing what i wrote, VCV20 does seem to have more then it's share of problems.

It may help people who play BG2.

Edited by Truman, 28 December 2020 - 07:03 AM.

#2 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for this. It may come handy.  ;)

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 09:43 AM

I suggest editing the original post to paste your .txt file text directly. You could use bracketed

Spoiler
tags to collapse it, but as it isn't all that much text, that isn't really necessary.

The advantage is that modders and search engines can thus pick up the potential problems and fixes more readily, and you can also provide links to specific mod forums. Unfinished Business (UB) at least is in semi-active development last I checked, so being able to identify any issues with it will benefit its modders and players.

Also note that sometimes trying to change one thing (especially concerning direct dialogue modifications in dialog.tlk) can mess up something elsewhere.

Finally, what I noted with Vlad's Compilation (VCV20) should fix at least some of those issues, particularly with respect to creatures with botched inventory/spell slots and the like. And as the modder seems to sort of be around, explicitly noting those things as well might help.

Edited by Miloch, 26 December 2020 - 09:44 AM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#4 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 07:33 PM

In my zeal to post, i forgot to put in the details of how this came about.

A short while ago a read a post from TotoR, the link follows;

http://www.shsforums...andom-treasure/

This was followed by my post being split into 2 categories, the link follows;

http://www.shsforums...ed-battles-etc/

I forgot to mention that i had a problem with the file SLMAGE1.cre. According to Miloch, the final component in the Revised Battles mod, Modify .CRE Proficiencies, Abilities & Effects, was the culprit. I didn't include this in the list because according to TotR, the fix that Miloch devised solved the problem. It was nice to scratch that off the list, well actually it solved 3 of them.

Thanks.

#5 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 09:32 PM

There's a reason why that was made, and it's that the forum moddifiers have the power to split posts for better clarity if they so want... and it helped the mod maker to solve the problem, so separating it to a post was a good idea.

Also the .txt's content as a forum post, this is not too much text even without the spoilers as an opening post, but:

... EDIT: spoiler removed.

I would recommend you to reconsider re-editing the opening post to accomodate the whole text, as a .txt upload, it's unworty tease.

Edited by The Imp, 02 January 2021 - 12:31 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:03 AM

There's a reason why that was made, and it's that the forum moddifiers have the power to split posts for better clarity if they so want... and it helped the mod maker to solve the problem, so separating it to a post was a good idea.

Also the .txt's content as a forum post, this is not too much text even without the spoilers as an opening post, but:

Spoiler

I would recommend you to reconsider re-editing the opening post to accomodate the whole text, as a .txt upload, it's unworty tease.

Done.

#7 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:13 PM

I had forgotten about two other problems. There are two item files that don't load right. I had figured out away to get around them, but, they are a problem.

The first is file C-CS.itm. It's problem is it's inventory bam. The item is a club and the club should go from the lower left corner to the upper right corner. This bam pushes the club into the upper left corner, making it difficult to see what it is.

The change-log is here;

Attached File  change-log1.txt   934bytes   138 downloads

The second file is TELSWD.itm. It claims to be a Longsword +3, which is all you get because the  description section is completely empty. 

The change-log is here;

Attached File  change-log1.txt   499bytes   147 downloads

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:12 PM

You might want to attach the files your change-log generated, or you can do some of this yourself with an editor (DLTCEP or NearInfinity). For c-cs.itm, check the inventory icon. In my ancient BWP install, this file (ic-cs.bam) doesn't exist, so some other mod (or a later version to Deeper Shadows of Amn) may have added it. What you describe is a common issue; BAM Batcher in my signature has an option to fix such BAMs ("Fix inventory BAM coordinates"). Edit: you may want to do a change-log on that .bam file while you're at it too.

For telswd.itm (an item that exists in unmodded BG2), open the .itm files the change-log generates, look at the description string reference, and see at which point the description gets hosed, which should point you to the offending mod. My guess is Item Revisions (heh... old joke of mine... but your change-log does in fact list it among other mods that change the item).

Edited by Miloch, 01 January 2021 - 11:15 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:22 PM

Well, it appears that you were right, the culprit may be Item Revisions. In the backup directory 17, the Telswd.itm file is correct, however, in the backup directory 1092, the file is missing it's description. If you continue to the ATweaks mod, the file in the backup directory 152, is corrupt. So, i assume that what ever change Item Revisions did, it screwed the file.

The c-cs.itm has been hard to pin down. I tried a change.log on the bam and received nothing. It feels more like i am chasing a ghost then anything else. I'm going to let it go, i had corrected it a long time a go for my modded game and i'll leave it at that.

Thank you for your help.

#10 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:29 PM

I tried a change.log on the bam and received nothing.

One usually doesn't (need to) overwrite the .bam files, as you can assign a new one instead and have multiple pictures for non related things. And the nothing is the expected result from the change-log because it's added by the mod that altered the primary file, because of the previous point, so it hasn't been changed, just added, so the result is "nothing" changed the .bam file(cause it was added).

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.