• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 maximize

maximize
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:33 PM

Any ideas for cleric-thieves?

View Post

I would say that "Cloak of Shadows" (was suggested earlier) but it would better fit a thief/mage and it lacks the power that a cleric/thief requires. How about some "Divine Thievery" HLA or something. "Drawing on the power of his god, the Cleric/thief is able to enhance his thieiving abilitis for a short time." A few extra point in thieving abilities for a short time never hurt anyone. But of course, that wouldn't really do too much for the cleric side of a Cleric/Thief...

I was thinking something which adds x2 to backstab and stealth for a while, but Cleric/Thieves can't backstab beacuse the only weapons they can use are weapons thievs can't backstab with. ;)

Any better ideas?

#62 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:16 AM

I would say that "Cloak of Shadows" (was suggested earlier) but it would better fit a thief/mage and it lacks the power that a cleric/thief requires. How about some "Divine Thievery" HLA or something. "Drawing on the power of his god, the Cleric/thief is able to enhance his thieiving abilitis for a short time." A few extra point in thieving abilities for a short time never hurt anyone. But of course, that wouldn't really do too much for the cleric side of a Cleric/Thief...

I was thinking something which adds x2 to backstab and stealth for a while, but Cleric/Thieves can't backstab beacuse the only weapons they can use are weapons thievs can't backstab with.

As you said, none of these are perfect for this HLA.

Any better ideas?

Not really - thats why I ask the community :) .
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#63 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:29 AM

Still waiting for ideas to fill the "holes" here - if someone has a few useful (and implementable) ideas for the missing multis, please share them with us. ;)
Posted Image

#64 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:29 AM

How about some sort of Improved Sanctuary ability for C/T types? It shouldn't be vulnerable to true seeing or, if possible, the theifly Detect Illusions ... or simply have it work like Project Image except that there would be no image.

#65 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:24 PM

Hmm, some sort of divine protection from divination spells and abilities would be nice for the C/T, good idea Rathwellin - I'll give it a try tomorrow. ;)
Posted Image

#66 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:16 AM

Cleric/thieves can backstab with clubs. Strange as it sounds, it works. I think the staff spear works as well. Not sure.

#67 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 08:57 AM

Nico info, but it has really nothing to do with multi HLAs.
Posted Image

#68 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 01:27 PM

This is my lastest progress report on the new multi HLAs (note that this list may change!):

Fighter-Thief: Combat Reflexes
Fighter-Cleric: Smite Foe
Fighter-Mage: Resist Magic Damage
Mage-Thief: Slippery Mind
Cleric-Mage: Union
Cleric-Thief: Divine Concealment
Fighter-Druid: Feral Lash
Cleric-Ranger: Smite Foe(?)
Fighter-Mage-Thief: Combat Reflexes and Slippery Mind
Fighter-Mage-Cleric: Smite Foe and Resist Magical Damage
Posted Image

#69 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:03 PM

I know you already have one for fighter-thieves, but i had an idea so I thought i'd post it anyway.

Critical Repost (not happy with the name, i'll try to think of one better)
Passive HLA
Combining a fighters combat skills and a thiefs knowladge of critical strikes on the body, this ability allows a fighter-thief to turn enemies attacks into devestating counters.
Effects: If a fighter-thief attacks an enemy immediately after that enemy misses an attack, their is a 10% chance they will be able to use this as an opening to do to a backstab like move and do 6x their normal damage.
requires: critical strike, assasination
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#70 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 01:23 AM

Cleric-Mage: Union

I suggest a change of name : Union replaced with "Onion" :D

Edited by Feanor, 18 November 2004 - 01:24 AM.

#71 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 10:13 AM

Critical Repost (not happy with the name, i'll try to think of one better)
Passive HLA
Combining a fighters combat skills and a thiefs knowladge of critical strikes on the body, this ability allows a fighter-thief to turn enemies attacks into devestating counters.
Effects: If a fighter-thief attacks an enemy immediately after that enemy misses an attack, their is a 10% chance they will be able to use this as an opening to do to a backstab like move and do 6x their normal damage.
requires: critical strike, assasination

Sounds nice, but please, tell me how you'd start to implement it! <_<
As I said guys, one of our mottos for the new HLA ideas is that they must be doable at the first place.

I suggest a change of name : Union replaced with "Onion"

You'll get your special version Feanor where we will include all the grammars and typos we eradicate during proofreading. :D
Posted Image

#72 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 10:17 PM

oh yeah, forgot that some people consider possibility an important feture.

Would it be doable if it was a chance of automaticly doing the counter to an enemy that attacks you in range? coded kindof like fireshield but only a % chance and shorter range. (more devastating of course)
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#73 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 09:34 AM

Would it be doable if it was a chance of automaticly doing the counter to an enemy that attacks you in range? coded kindof like fireshield but only a % chance and shorter range. (more devastating of course)

Partially possible. While I could make it so that the attacker suffers a set/random amount of damage on each successful melee attack on the caster, I cannot add an attack animation to this effect. In other words it would look entirely similar to the Fireshield effect, only that this would inflict physical damage instead. BTW, this would be much more suitable for a HLA I planned for Clerics, called Retribution. This would make the attackers of the priest suffer some damage on each successful attack on the caster.

could you post a description of Union and Divine Concealment, TG ?

There is no set description yet, but I can provide some info on these abilities.
Divine Concealment: for Cleric-Thieves, this makes them invisible (improved), and protects them from all divination magics at the same time. Lasts for a set duration depending on experience level. Dispellable by Dispel Magic.
Union: actually, this is a very powerful passive innate for Cleric-Mages. Since this multi unifies both types of magic (divine and arcane), the practitioner of these can achieve a greater level and understanding on spellcasting. This one-time innate would add an extra spell slot to all spell levels to both cathegory.
Posted Image

#74 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 03:47 AM

If we'll ever implement an ability as overpowered as union, I'll leave the modding scene afterwards :nana:

Still hoping for a better name instead of "slippery mind"...
Oh, and I'd use simply Concealment instead of divine concealment.

Edited by Littiz, 20 November 2004 - 03:50 AM.

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#75 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 04:26 AM

If we'll ever implement an ability as overpowered as union, I'll leave the modding scene afterwards

True, it is overpowered. I'll see to it that it becomes a bit more acceptable (suggestions are welcome, as always!)

Still hoping for a better name instead of "slippery mind"...

As I said before, the name was shamelessly stolen from 3rdE. If anyone can come up with a better one though...

I'd use simply Concealment instead of divine concealment.

Yeh, good idea. Especially since I already dropped the original Concealment idea (the one that would add permanent Non-Detection to the Thief-Mage).
Posted Image

#76 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 20 November 2004 - 08:35 AM

C/M already can cast a zillion spells. A few more is not going to make much difference. They can still only cast them one at a time. The real bottleneck is in casting speed.

#77 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:47 PM

A useful and fitting HLA for Cleric mages, would be an ability that would allow the cleric mage to convert some of their priest spell levels to mage spell levels. I wouldn't suggest allowing the reverse, since I believe the cleric spells per level are limited by the cleric's status and not their skill level.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how this could be implemented. There are opcodes for recharging spells, but I'm not sure how they could be arranged for this ability to work reliabely.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#78 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 02:38 PM

A useful and fitting HLA for Cleric mages, would be an ability that would allow the cleric mage to convert some of their priest spell levels to mage spell levels. I wouldn't suggest allowing the reverse, since I believe the cleric spells per level are limited by the cleric's status and not their skill level.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how this could be implemented. There are opcodes for recharging spells, but I'm not sure how they could be arranged for this ability to work reliabely.

Truly Caedwyr, you have GREAT ideas, the only problem is that 90% of them is not implementable! :lol:
Remember your PMs with all those sorcerer ideas? There were many nice suggestions there, but none of them were actually doable.

Anyway, after a quick rebalancing attempt, Union changed to this:

- 1 additional 3rd, 4th and 5th level clerical and mage spell;
- -1 to spellcasting speed;
- spellcasting level (both for clerical and mage spells) is increased by 5. This means that if the caster would have cast a spell at level 20 before picking this ability, he'd cast it at level 25 thereafter.
Posted Image

#79 maximize

maximize
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 03:23 PM

Anyway, after a quick rebalancing attempt, Union changed to this:

- 1 additional 3rd, 4th and 5th level clerical and mage spell;
- -1 to spellcasting speed;
- spellcasting level (both for clerical and mage spells) is increased by 5. This means that if the caster would have cast a spell at level 20 before picking this ability, he'd cast it at level 25 thereafter.

I like it. Much better than one extra spell from every level.

#80 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 04:55 PM

Remember your PMs with all those sorcerer ideas? There were many nice suggestions there, but none of them were actually doable.

Well, actually a number of them were doable. Theoretically at least. As for anyone actually having the patience to sit down and do the 600+ different variations needed to make them work is another thing :D
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit