Photo

Bitter Grey Ashes update

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 29 October 2004 - 09:55 AM

Certainly, I find the novel very enjoyable. It's very intriguing watching you flesh out Joneleth.

#42 -Ahrimal-

-Ahrimal-

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:06 PM

I've been meaning to ask. Perhaps I might have missed it in some chapter, but whatever did happen to the Selu'kiira of the Mistwinter Clan? Is it still in Ryndeth's keeping, or did he give it to Joneleth, as he promised Nyonin? I would hate to think it forever lost, not just because of the lore, but because of the sentimental value. I would like to see it find its way back to Joneleth, if only as some consolation to the deceased Nyonin. I wish she had been able to see her son one last time. Even after all that happened, she still loved Joneleth. Is Nyonin's spirit utterly destroyed, then? There is no after-life for her?

#43 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:14 PM

I've been meaning to ask. Perhaps I might have missed it in some chapter, but whatever did happen to the Selu'kiira of the Mistwinter Clan? Is it still in Ryndeth's keeping, or did he give it to Joneleth, as he promised Nyonin? I would hate to think it forever lost, not just because of the lore, but because of the sentimental value. I would like to see it find its way back to Joneleth, if only as some consolation to the deceased Nyonin. I wish she had been able to see her son one last time. Even after all that happened, she still loved Joneleth. Is Nyonin's spirit utterly destroyed, then? There is no after-life for her?

View Post

Ah! THis is a very interesting question. :P However answering it in full would be a major spoiler for the next half of the story. Yes, the kiira is supposed to play a major role, although Seldarine only knows when will I come back to it. Soon hopefully.

Thanks for asking!

Yes, Nyonin is gone... tis Jon's major sin on top of all else -- to cause true death of his own mother.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#44 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:15 PM

Chapter 47 of the Bitter Grey Ashes is finished and added. It is called The Facetes and can be founds at :

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch47.html

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#45 -Ahrimal-

-Ahrimal-

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:24 PM

It is a very enjoyable novel. I will be curious as to when Bodhi catches up with Joneleth. While Bodhi is an intriguing character, she is not a particularly sympathetic one, and I for one will relish seeing Joneleth and the others send the wretch screaming back to the Abyss, when the time comes.

#46 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:43 AM

Funnily enough Bodhi is a lot of fun to write -- she is one of my personal favorites so far. No redemption for her -- never fear! But she has plenty of stuff to do yet, before the end.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#47 -Ahrimal-

-Ahrimal-

Posted 15 December 2004 - 12:57 AM

I'll be looking forward to it. As I've never had the pleasure of playing the original Baldur's Gate, I've been meaning to enquire, did Eldoth strike you as the type who would go so far as to rape a young girl? In any case, he got what was coming to him.

#48 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 05:47 PM

Well, with Eldoth I was strongly influenced by somebody else's fanfics, in which Eldoth kills Skie and her family fater milking them off all the money he could. He is not really that well defined in BG -- but his manner of speaking and several of his mannerisms made me believe he could do something of a kind if he knew he would not be caught -- thus I used him for my own purpose somewhat maliciously but I still think he fits the bill.

I am not over with him yet... as in not entirely over.

Thank you for your interest!

Edited by dorotea, 18 December 2004 - 05:48 PM.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#49 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 11:01 PM

Bitter Grey Ashes is updated with Chapter 48 -- Faradome.

It can be found at :

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch48.html

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#50 -reader-

-reader-

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:59 PM

i readed all charpters, i really like your novel alot, i actually spent about 8h to read that in a row
but last chapters, they are... in'ts it 3rd chapter about bodhi and jon in a row ?
sry for my bad eng, but im sure you will understand <_<

#51 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 09:07 AM

I guess you are asking when I will be done with Suldanesselar part and go back to Jon and Mirriam storyline? Well, I have to disappoint -- until I am done with the 'past' I cannot return to the 'present', since the present would be strongly dpendent on that past storyline. I estimate at least 3 more chapters of the 'Royal Hunt' ... But I will try to release them
faster than 1 per month! In fact I already have about 30% of 49 written -- and 48 have been released less than a week ago.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#52 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:44 PM

Onlinefiction is back online and BGA was updated with Chapter 49 --
'The Games Gods Play'.

It can be found at : http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch49.html

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#53 -Ahrimal-

-Ahrimal-

Posted 26 January 2005 - 12:03 AM

I suppose this is what's going to cause Joneleth to walk down that self-destructive path, whatever it is Kiaransalee gave Bodhi.

The scheme with the Tree ended up botched as well, and she got herself slain by the most formidable of Bhaal's Children. Given all that bungling, I'm surprised Kiaransalee hasn't turned Bodhi into a mindless zombie and be done with it.

When Bodhi catches up with Joneleth, is Joneleth's old self going to step in and help his new self? He did step in to help the current Joneleth back in the theater. Bodhi is probably going to catch the current Joneleth in a trap, and the old Joneleth will probably tell the current Joneleth again to stop acting like a "spineless maggot" and take control of himself to resolve the mess.

#54 Arcalian

Arcalian
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:22 PM

I tried to post to the attic, but it keeps giving me "invalid session". Must be due to the move.

Anyways. The King won't even get to sample the pleasures of Bhodi's carnal artistry before she destroys him, eh? What a pity.

And will the Dark Goddess turn her directly, or will she send a vampire to do it the old fashioned way?

#55 -Ahrimal-

-Ahrimal-

Posted 04 February 2005 - 05:51 PM

Well, the king wants to make sure if he can't have Ellesime, then neither will Joneleth. Still, the very audacity of this N'Tel'Quess is astounding. Thinking he alone would be worthy of this particular Tel'Quess, one with the blood of the Seldarine, no less.

About the geas, the terms were that Joneleth cannot slay innocents with his magic, correct? Well, none of the foes he has fought so far can exactly be considered innocent. Would killing them have triggered the geas? Bodhi is anything but innocent. Would slaying her again cause the geas to react?

As for the Joneleth/Mirriam couple, I'm still trying to make up my mind about it. Of course, after this, Mirriam is probably going to have anything but romance on her mind. Still, assuming that is the path Joneleth wishes to take, I won't complain. How long would it last? Several decades at the most, and that is barely the blink of an eye to the Tel'Quessir. He can find a lover among the Tel'Quessir after that. I was actually entertaining the notion of Joneleth meeting Luewyn again and eventually starting a romance with her. And Joneleth will probably meet Luewyn once more, as he must reach Evereska. Though I seriously wonder if his N'Tel'Quessir companions will actually be allowed inside the fortress city.

#56 -Ahrimal-

-Ahrimal-

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:07 PM

Speaking of which, we know this turns out well, as Joneleth is writing his memoir. Where is Joneleth the narrator? In Evermeet perhaps, where he has all the time in the world to finish his auto-biography?

#57 -Ahrimal-

-Ahrimal-

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:47 PM

A passing thought struck my fancy. Since Bodhi turned to the worship of a drow deity, I was pondering the matter. Suppose an elf of their own will turned to worshipping Oghma as their primary deity? Would their reverie start becoming less and less restful? Where would their spirits go? To Arvandor or to Oghma's home, the House of Knowledge? Or suppose it was Mystra? Would the elf's afterlife be in Dweomerheart or Arvandor? These two are human deities, yes, but they are more benevolent than Kiaransalee. Surely the Seldarine wouldn't object? They could still pay homage to the Seldarine, simply taking Oghma or Mystra as their primary diety?

#58 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:09 AM

See, I believe that only worshipping the deity that is a sworn enemy of the Seldarine would cause the link to Arvandor to weaken. In case with Oghma or Mystra I cannot see any problem. As for proceeding to a different Plane after death -- a rare elf would be able to overcome the longing for Arvandor. Supposedly it is not just addictive -- it is the essence of sylvan Spirit. But I suppose if an elf is strongly in love with none-sylvan creature it is possible.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#59 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:12 AM

About Joneleth the narrator -- he will return in due time, actually I hope to finish the Royal Hunt in 2-3 chapters and go back to the 'present'.

About your other questions: no he is not residing on Evermeet. :P Yes meeting Luewyn is on the agenda, romantic option for him and Mirriam is still open although it will be difficult as Hell for both. But I cannot promise happy endings -- these seem to elude me always...

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#60 -Ahrimal-

-Ahrimal-

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:59 AM

Well, Joneleth will eventually be reconnected to the Elven Spirit and granted a right of passage to Arvandor, so I consider that happy enough. As for Mirriam, well it's going to take a long time, but she will eventually get over the rape.