Photo

Bitter Grey Ashes update

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#21 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 08 May 2004 - 06:01 AM

Extremely dark BGA, I feel bad for Mirriam yet not glad that she mutilated Eldoth's body, as I am sure she would not be. Poor girl is all I can say.

"I am not in the mood for this kind of activities" should be these.

"You cannot expect to get drunk and loose your balance" should be lose.

Only spelling mistakes I spotted so far.

#22 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:59 AM

Nod - thanks for the spelling corrections. I shall revise 39 and 40 soon. And yes - the rape and the murder will have a severe effect on Mirriam... her personality will change drastically.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#23 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 08 May 2004 - 12:33 PM

I'd imagine it would have, I know someone who was raped, she was quite suicidal afterwards and it took a LONG time for her to recover from it.

I notice that Mirriam was seemingly jealous at how her brother had killed people when she had not - which was quite an immature attitude to have, I imagine she'll be changing that outlook now.

#24 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:54 AM

notice that Mirriam was seemingly jealous at how her brother had killed people when she had not - which was quite an immature attitude to have, I imagine she'll be changing that outlook now.

Yes - that was in fact the major theme of this part of the plot... she will change but not for the better I am afraid.

In this case Jon played the role of the 'unlucky charm' that basically ruined her life, even though it is not entirely his fault. The whole story will take a darker turn from now on, and it will take a long time for things to be resolved.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#25 The Leveler

The Leveler
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:39 AM

How did Eldoth go from plotting to riad the hoard to raping Mirriam? I am a little lost there.

#26 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:59 AM

Well he had found the map, and he always wanted to have sex with her, so he was annoyed and thought of raping her as a punishment for ignoring his advances, from what I read, he just thought "Ahh... why not?"

#27 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 03:38 PM

The guess is more or less correct. Eldoth was originally planning to seduce the girl, and after that convince her to take him to the treasure. But after she rejected him once again he was angry enough to go for it, and he had found the map in her belongings while she was sleeping. He was also sure (as it is often the case with rapists) that when lass says 'no' it actually means 'try harder', and that once he is at it she would suddenly like his 'technique' so much she would fall for him... I find this 'bodice-ripping' cliche of many 'romance' novels extremely appalling. There is absolutely nothing 'romantic' about rape.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#28 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:35 PM

Chapter 41 of Bitter Grey Ashes has been added today. It is called 'Divination' and can be found at :

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch41.html

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#29 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:12 AM

Oooh, controversy, Jon-jon being attacked/captured by the Elves eh? I bet that's what it is ;)

#30 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:51 AM

Yup, I feel he has been whining about the Elves for long enough - its time for more, Er, experimants!

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#31 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:35 PM

Chapter 42 of BGA is added today - finally. But now I can go back to LR dialogs and coding for a while. Thanks to all beta-readers!

The new Chapter is called 'The Breakings' and can be found at :

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch42.html

PS:

It is near 8K words long, versus my usual size of 5-6K, yes, I am getting even more verbose than usual... -_-

Edited by dorotea, 14 October 2004 - 10:09 PM.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#32 -Tancred-

-Tancred-

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:13 AM

At last! He's here!

WHO, you ask? you'll just have to read to find out!

#33 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 June 2004 - 01:39 PM

Another ace chapter. You had me going for a while, but I'm glad to hear *BLEEP* is alright :P

#34 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:03 AM

Hi folks!

After longer than a month break I added a new chapter of Bitter Grey Ashes today -- my apologies to the readers for being late again. I was trying to finish the LR/R mod but alas -- it looks like I am once again stuck in the middle of two big projects and the progress has slowed down on both fronts.

Still here is the new Ashes chapter -- it is called The Plane of Ether.

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch43.html

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#35 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:46 AM

Somehow I missed you posting this, but don't worry, you should spend whatever time you like on LR or BGA, doesn't matter to me :)

#36 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:14 AM

BGA has been updated today -- I finally finished and posted Chapter 44 , it is called 'Overture' and can be found at :

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch44.html

Sorry for the delay -- Longer Road ate all my time.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#37 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:30 PM

I updated the BGA today with Chapter 45 -- 'The Queen's Choices'

It can be found here:

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch45.html

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#38 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:07 PM

BGA is updated with Chapter 46. It is named 'Sylvaree' and can be found at:

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch46.html

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#39 -Ahrimal-

-Ahrimal-

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:41 PM

I've been meaning to ask. Are we to infer that in your novel, the greatest Child of Bhaal chose to remain mortal? Else how would he have taken Joneleth back to Amkethran? Unless of course he did become a god and sent an avatar to carry Joneleth and deposit him, though even such a young god shouldn't bother sending an avatar to perform such a mundane task.

#40 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:30 AM

I've been meaning to ask. Are we to infer that in your novel, the greatest Child of Bhaal chose to remain mortal? Else how would he have taken Joneleth back to Amkethran? Unless of course he did become a god and sent an avatar to carry Joneleth and deposit him, though even such a young god shouldn't bother sending an avatar to perform such a mundane task.

View Post

Hmm, I honestly tried to imagine as generic situation as possible -- i.e. to avoid reference to the Bhaalspawn's gender, class, align and the final choice. But there is certainly one condition in common for all such Spawns -- they should be able to finish the story with redeemed Joneleth. Which implies they have some minimal interest in his future fate and woud bother to at least take his unconscious body to Amkethran and leave him with Chyil. So, it can be either the Bhaal Child who decided to stay mortal or the one who Ascended but send her/his avatar simply because they cared enough... If they would not care -- how would they manage to get him to change at the first place? -- And you will see what I mean if you have played the mod through and obtained the 'good ending'.

Thanks for your interest by the way -- and I hope you liked the story. -_-

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes