Photo

Most 'Redeemable' BG - SoA - ToB villain

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

Poll: Of all the series' many villains who do you think has most potential to be redeemed? Obviously I have my preference, but I think we can have a fun discussion on the topic. (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Of all the series' many villains who do you think has most potential to be redeemed? Obviously I have my preference, but I think we can have a fun discussion on the topic.

1. Sarevok - why he was picked by Bio, he must be the one! (14 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

2. Tazok (I love demihuman villains better) (3 votes [3.66%])

Percentage of vote: 3.66%

3. Angelo (er - no thanks but tastes differ) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I think redeeming villains is lame (21 votes [25.61%])

Percentage of vote: 25.61%

5. Albert (the demon child looking for his doggie Rufie) (3 votes [3.66%])

6. Irenicus (16 votes [19.51%])

Percentage of vote: 19.51%

7. Bodhi (I simply love undead chicks!) (3 votes [3.66%])

8. Phaere (the sexy drow gal) (7 votes [8.54%])

Percentage of vote: 8.54%

9. Melissan the Blackheart (1 votes [1.22%])

Percentage of vote: 1.22%

10. One of the Five Siblings of the PC (14 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:13 PM

Nope, not the BG2 re-write of Viconia's story, the separate BG1 murder she is chased after for. Where she killed the whole household.

And she denies having done any such thing. Given the number of bandits and humanoids roaming the area, this at least raises a reasonable doubt.

But this is such a detail as to be almost off-topic...

Yes, lol, it is. Anyways, Viconia was white-washed quite forecefully in BG2 to make ToB redemption somewhat plausible, but I really am not that fond of the character, in both varieties (murderss or victim of upbringing/circumstances) so I just avoid her.

#62 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:16 PM

A feeling of justice done and fairness restored, when a rapist or a murderer is punished is important. I do not give a damn about *his* soul - I want him to suffer for his crimes, not being tip-toed around.

Hmm - yes. I think that about sums up the discussion, as this 'fairness restored' brings me personally nothing but more sadness and a feeling of waste - now there is another life taken and there is no more hope for 'real' recompense. What I find so rewarding in RPG settings is the system of outer planes and concept of 'death after life' - ie finally a possibility to restore and repair things, not cause more damage. But to each its own I guess... It is amusing though that vengefulness is so often assosiated with 'goodness' (as in the only true 'good' is lawful good) whilst desire to fogive is considered to be the trait of 'evilly alligned'. I find it extremely ironic. ;)

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#63 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:24 PM

It is amusing though that vengefulness is so often assosiated with 'goodness' (as in the only true 'good' is lawful good) whilst desire to fogive is considered to be the trait of 'evilly alligned'.

For me it depends on what person forgives - something done to him/herself - is a noble emotion, while dismissing something that had been done to others is to me an wrong thing to do.

#64 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:33 PM

@ dorotea and domi

I do not think your two standpoints of justice can ever be brought together. :( Guess it is 'Suum cuique' as dorotea said.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#65 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:38 PM

Lol, you are right Jester. That's why Dorotea's hero is Irenicus and mine - Kivan. Good thing that it took all sorts to make FR :) :) :) And one thing is always true - human maids will sigh after elven men, despite their alignments.

#66 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:51 PM

And one thing is always true - human maids will sigh after elven men, despite their alignments.

*sigh*
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#67 Sav

Sav

Over-powered but benevolent Protagonist

• 46 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:16 PM

So, what's the reason for this poll anyway? Is it just to get random talk going or are you thinking of redeeming more than just Irenicus... the mod is called 'Redemption' after all, not 'Irenicus's Redemption/Further Corruption.'

In order of who I think is most redeemable, from the list and not.. with/without reasons... Oh and note, I can't remember who Albert and Angelo were.. was Angelo Shar-Teel's dad and Albert the guy from the TOB trials?
1. Phaere - Was in love, can't get rid of the memory, I say.
2. Balthazar - IS redeemable in Ascension, but is Good anyway.
3. Irenicus - Tragic story, was tricked by Bodhi to doing what he did.
4. Sarevok - If swapped positions, could you be where Sarevok is now? (doesn't work for an evil character) Also, he can get redeemed anyway.
5. Illasaera - Fallen Ranger, had to be good at some point.
6. Yaga-Shura - Had a heart, got rid of it, grew up with a nice old witch. Problem is he's a Fire Giant, which are naturally Evil in DnD.
7. Abazigal and Sendai - I can't really see them being redeemed in any sense, but if the writing's good, I'll believe it. Also, what IS Abazigal's other Half? Half-Blue Dragon, Half-??? Sendai... maybe can just decide she wants to join an evil PC - appreciates his strength or something.
8. Tazok, he seems.. well.. not very nice, considering all he's done to Kivan, I doubt he'd be redeemable.
9. Melissan... not really developed enough for me to say anything about her. Just stick to killing her, she used to be a priestess of Bhaal anyway, so she's always been an evil bitch.

That, above, is if you wanted some to join the PC on his travels as he goes about his redeeming/saving the world/bhaalspawn quest.

Heh, thanks for the :D about my Nalia comment, jester. She's walking the road to corruption anyway, and I'm sure lots of NPCs state that to her, like Keldorn, maybe. It'd have been nice if you could talk her out of seeking all that power, because she ISN'T very wise and would probably fall for that Satan thing on the page before (She has 9 Wis).

Edit: Oh, eh, sorry about deceiving you maidros, I meant it more sarcastically than not. Maybe I shoulda put a :P at the end of my sentence.

About Phaere, redemption could be done by making her fall in love again, with 'Veldrin' maybe...

#68 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:31 PM

So, what's the reason for this poll anyway? Is it just to get random talk going or are you thinking of redeeming more than just Irenicus... the mod is called 'Redemption' after all, not 'Irenicus's Redemption/Further Corruption.'

The reason was to get people to discuss their view on the topic of redeeming the villains from the BG series (and in more 'general' sense), and I think I was a success. I have no further plans for any more mods - BG/BG II or otherwise. I plan to finish Ashes, LR and Edwin Romance and retire from Baldurs Gate community. But by the time the 2 mods I am working on now will be done - things might change. I recently communicated with Dave Gaidar and he suggested that I learn the Aurora engine. I might, it sounds fun.

I am not planning to further corrupt Irenicus either, I don't think it is even possible. :wub: The Ashes plot follows the 'good' path of the Redemption/LR, because it is my personal preference. Still the LR will have the evil path (with few possible outcomes). :ph34r:

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#69 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:39 PM

Nice wrap-up, Sav. :) Let's see:

Requirements brought forth:

1. Must be able to spend enough time with the group to get time to develop and talk.
2. Must have the racial ability or at least a feasible reason to be 'redeemed' at all.
4. Must have a little room to maneuvre for a credible story.
3. Must have been good or (at least) neutral at some point .

Disqualified: Biff for forgetting his text, Sar and Jon for being in there already and Balth for not needing any

*Drumroll*

This leaves as our natural contestant:

Illasaera - a female archer (romance anyone?), what a nice addition

Free your mind

#70 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:44 PM

3. Irenicus - Tragic story, was tricked by Bodhi to doing what he did.

Oh, please. Joneleth wasn't a child or an imbecile, though I'm sure both Irenicus himself and Ellesime would love to pin all the blame for his actions on Bodhi.

Also, what IS Abazigal's other Half? Half-Blue Dragon, Half-???

God, of course.

9. Melissan... not really developed enough for me to say anything about her. Just stick to killing her, she used to be a priestess of Bhaal anyway, so she's always been an evil bitch.

Always? From the moment she was born?
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#71 Sav

Sav

Over-powered but benevolent Protagonist

• 46 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:56 PM

ToB is too short for a detailed romance I think, unless you wanna talk every 5 seconds :) The game could be edited so she comes to find you earlier on in Chapter 2 or SoA or something, but there's the very big problem that you both have the same dad (if it was a romance that is).

Phaere is still a prime candidate for redemption, and there wouldn't be any arguments over incest in a romance with her, but not that I'm planning anything, it's all hypothetical.

Oh please, Kish, you know what I mean, you're just purposely being difficult. She must have chosen to be a priestess of Bhaal. If she didn't even want to, there's a chance for her to run away from that life, and she continued being evil after the ToT. You presume too much to try and get on my nerves, but I'm not getting into a debate on this, so before you start, leave it alone.

Isn't it the official story that Bodhi was the puppeteer pulling the strings behind both their exiles?

I didn't know God was a RACE. Well, shows what I know about DnD. But my point was that he seems to have a human form, and having three HALVES is impossible.

#72 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:08 PM

With Phaere you could end up in a HD-Aerie situation. :huh:

Female romancing Sola - Phaere grumbling in the background
Male romancing Phaere - Sola gets very philosophical on your @$$
No romance - auld friends bitching in the back of the erm car and getting together again -egads-

Free your mind

#73 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:54 PM

Isn't it the official story that Bodhi was the puppeteer pulling the strings behind both their exiles?

No, Demin, the priestess tells that "sister" was worse than "brother", but guess what? the "brother" was her Queen's lover. Do you expect her to say that Queen had been in love with the man who fooled her to reach for her power? At no point it is hinted that Irenicus had done it all on Bodhi's command to make her Godess. There is exactly 0 good deeds done by Irenicus on file. He wanted power of God for himself. So despite whatever cheer-along influence Bodhi had on him, he was the one who devised, initiated and conducted the whole serie of atrocities against his own land, his Queen, his lover and countless namless "others" who happened to chance across his way.

Shifting the blame is one more thing which IMHO makes redemption plots lame. I love Jaime Lannister to bits, but his redemption (a very well thought out and brilliantly written, mind you) still makes me cringe because it is done so heavily at the expence of villifing Cersei Lannister (yes, my very favorite incestual couple).

This finding someone evil-evil to white-wash the candidate for redemption is not very attractive to me.

F.ex, why are you so sure Melissan was ever the evil bitch and was not seduced into serving Bhaal by someone evil-evil, like poor guillable Irenicus? Would the existance of someone evil-evil behind it make you to wish to redeem Melissan who moved 5 armies around and destroyed countless lives in order to achieve godhood? 'Cause her actions are exactly the same as Irenicus', you know, and Sarevok's. And even exactly the same motive. BG series do not really treat its fans to the variety of main villains, it just produces them from the same mold. -_-

#74 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:18 PM

Oh please, Kish, you know what I mean, you're just purposely being difficult.

If you call disagreeing with you "being difficult."

"She was evil before Bhaal died" is a much weaker argument than "she was always evil," but from her having been a Deathstalker you can support the former--not the latter.

She must have chosen to be a priestess of Bhaal. If she didn't even want to, there's a chance for her to run away from that life, and she continued being evil after the ToT. You presume too much to try and get on my nerves, but I'm not getting into a debate on this, so before you start, leave it alone.

I've always found people who "argue" by saying, "I'm right, shut up!"...extremely pathetic.

The official story? What's that? That's the story told by Ellesime, and by Demin (who certainly got her version from Ellesime). I am unaware of anything posted by a developer somewhere, or the like. There's also that line in Ascension where Bodhi comments that it's like Jon to blame her for his failings.

How likely is it that Joneleth was an innocent archmage who danced on Bodhi's puppet strings? Was Bodhi the best manipulator in the history of manipulation? Was Joneleth so stupid that it was as simple as winding him up and pointing him at the Tree of Life? Or is Joneleth, like most adults, responsible for his own actions and choices?

I didn't know God was a RACE. Well, shows what I know about DnD. But my point was that he seems to have a human form, and having three HALVES is impossible.

As do Firkraag and Adalon. It's not about halves--dragons can shapeshift. He could turn into a deer as easily as he turns into a human.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#75 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:20 PM

I love Jaime Lannister to bits, but his redemption (a very well thought out and brilliantly written, mind you) still makes me cringe because it is done so heavily at the expence of villifing Cersei Lannister (yes, my very favorite incestual couple).

Grin. I've noticed your preference for blonde, power-hungry (but seemingly innocent and sweet), female characters. I suspected you would love Cersei - it is nice to hear the confirmation from your own mouth. :) And of course she is the character I absolutely abhore and loath and wish dead :rolleyes: Should we even be surprised?

No, no - I have no desire to pick another fight this time. I just think Ellesime is very close to Cersei in her inner logic and motivations, at least her intonations, her deception of PC during both of the dream scenes, and her speech patterns sort of hint on this. :P

Addenum - there will be absolutely no 'blame shifting' in BGA. As I think that even if your queen and lover is a bitch - it does not excuse you from plotting to betray her and slaughter half of your relatives to 'punish' her.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#76 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:25 PM

How likely is it that Joneleth was an innocent archmage who danced on Bodhi's puppet strings? Was Bodhi the best manipulator in the history of manipulation? Was Joneleth so stupid that it was as simple as winding him up and pointing him at the Tree of Life? Or is Joneleth, like most adults, responsible for his own actions and choices?

Oh - I think he was the brain behind the whole scheme. Bodhi does not strike me as even capable of thinking it out. Chuckle - to attack the symbol of elven longevity and drain it of power to become a God - this requires the level of daring and ambition that are simply beyond her primitive thinking.

She might have played a role in subtly pushing him in this direction - ie encouraging and displaying her admiration... but that is the only role I can see her play.

I have a very good plot (I think) for this part of Ashes (based on 'real' FR events in Tethyr 100 years or so prior to ToT) - let's see how well I will be able to implement it. :wacko:

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#77 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:38 PM

Grin. I've noticed your preference for blonde, power-hungry (but seemingly innocent and sweet), female characters. I suspected you would love Cersei - it is nice to hear the confirmation from your own mouth. And of course she is the character I absolutely abhore and loath and wish dead Should we even be surprised?

No, I do not *love* Cersei, but I love the way Jaime loves her and I loved that whole love-story - one of the strongest in the books so far (appart from Brienne-Renly-Loras "triangle") and I really pity to see it go. I see a neat parallel with Borgia story there and I would like Martin to stay true to his unexpected outcomes and made Cersei a Lukrezia of Casterly Rock ;) to get all the rabid fans, who expect Jaime to kill her, to grind their teeth.

I actually abhore the second blond power-hungry female in the books (one of the only two not entirey villaneous characters I cannot stand and will be happy to see somehow removed from the story-line).

I adore Brienne, who might be blond, but is hardly power-hungry, innocent or sweet.

As for Ellesime being a character au par with Cersei Lannister...erm...I am afraid we have read entirely different books with the same title.

#78 Althernai

Althernai
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 08:26 PM

Exactly. I disagree on vengeance btw. It brings satisfaction. A feeling of justice done and fairness restored, when a rapist or a murderer is punished is important. I do not give a damn about *his* soul - I want him to suffer for his crimes, not being tip-toed around.

Based on my experience in life so far, I would not say revenge brings satisfaction. Granted, I have never been subjected to a truly evil act (unless you count a robbery at knifepoint, which I don't since nothing of real value was stolen), but for all the little slights I've taken revenge for, the emotions always went as follows:

I feel angry and miserable. I do something to hurt the person who made me miserable. Now I no longer feel angry, but I'm still miserable and in addition to that, I feel bad about making someone else miserable.

This only happens in real life. In games, I am perfectly satisfied after I kill someone who betrayed me (e.g. Samia in Firkraag's lair). In fiction, many characters feel the same way as you do (incidentially, Martin is an exception).

#79 Althernai

Althernai
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 08:38 PM

No, no - I have no desire to pick another fight this time. I just think Ellesime is very close to Cersei in her inner logic and motivations, at least her intonations, her deception of PC during both of the dream scenes, and her speech patterns sort of hint on this.  :P

:unsure:
Where do you get this from? Is there some dialogue I've missed in my 20 replays of BG2 that shows Ellesime to be a lying, scheming, power-hungry seductress? Or am I misreading Cersei?

#80 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 19 March 2004 - 08:42 PM

In fiction, many characters feel the same way as you do (incidentially, Martin is an exception).

Erm...Martin is much more complex, since every character feels very differently in a different situation:

Oberin gets his moment of feeling quite triumphant for that short mmoment when he thinks he won
Tyron most often feels pleased with his revenges
Jaime feels satisfied when he hears Vargo is dieing from Brienne's bite
The moment Jon feels clear about what he feels about anything I'd open a bottle of champaign
Arya alternates between being delirious about deaths on her list and empty
Sansa is...well, sansish
Caetlyn rebels strongly against revenge drive of everyone else, but herself avenges on Jon her jelousy of Eddard's mythical lover and is quite glad when her revenge is fully accomplished and the boy is out of the way.