Photo

Want to make NPC Mod! (Last Ditch Effort)

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#81 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 03:15 AM

Ongoing thanks,

SConrad,

I have read that tutorial and even currently have it taped up on the wall in front of my comp as sort of a cheat sheet. But....

Well, lets just say that after the Holidays are over in another few days I might be in touch via e-mail. (Sorry)

Shed,

Thanks for the web hosting link, now I know. My mod fits in to the fold just fine. :) I will do da deed there when the time is right. Likewise I may drop you a line as well.

So close now. :)

Minotaur In Maze

Attached Images

• October.JPG

They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#82 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 01:28 PM

Ongoing thanks,

Shed,

Thanks for the web hosting link, now I know. My mod fits in to the fold just fine. :) I will do da deed there when the time is right. Likewise I may drop you a line as well.

So close now. :)

Minotaur In Maze

View Post

Look forward to hearing from you soon ;).

#83 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:27 PM

ANOTHER Update: :)

As of NOW all Banter/Quest files are DONE(WHEW!)

EXCEPT a single one for October/PC which has me stumped (Please see below)

I have found a voicing actress (I think) and voicing of Tobi is getting there.

I have to get back with my mentor(s) via e-mail on a few "getting it together" issues, but I am hampered by real world health issues. (Whilst October is doing fine, her proud papa has had a rough few months) Still I am kicking and e-mails are going out soon. :)

(NOTE: In making this mod up I have asked, and gotten, much help from Reapper99, Shed and SCONRAD, and at least two of them have told me that some of my banters and such go on for a long LONG time... GUILTY! :) Tobi is a chatty thing. All I can say is: Yes they Are long, and after some thought on the subject, I LIKE them that way. Whether this will add or detract from the mod in the long term will be decided upon by the masses. Just know that if/what she is available - if you D/L her she IS Dialog heavy. :) )

Now, a banter/dialog prob, maybe minor...

I am working on a PC/October banter, using stuff I had originally planned to use for a banter with (Wonderful Mod) "Kelsey" - I have since changed my mind about that as something better for The "K" Man came to me. Still, it IS a good banter I think and waste not want not.

What I am having probs with is that there are some Interjections by other NPC's (if in party) and I am having a heck of a time making it work in the "IF~~THEN" style.

Here is what I am trying to do:

------------------------------------------------
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Never happened!~ GOTO Octob004_11
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_08
SAY ~Yes, they are heads. What of it? It is custom where I come from to keep trophies, as I have said.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I undertand that, but it still seems disgusting. No race here would stoop to such a level~ GOTO (?) <---- HERE is my prob, for, if VICONIA is in party I want her to break in with a coment before OCTOBER makes her reply.
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~GROSS!~ GOTO <---Ditto here, Except, if VICONIA Is NOT in party I want things to : GOTO Octob004_10
END
------------------------------------------------

Also, If the PC learned something about OCTOBER in, say, PC/October banter #2 and October gave a "SAY ~This is not something I care to discuss now.~" is there any way I can access the question or information Now in PC/October banter #4 (now that they are closer) so Tobi can tell us all about it?

:wacko:

Things are progressing.

Minotaur_In_Maze (and a daze... :w00t: )

Attached Images

• October.JPG

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.

#84 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:43 PM

SAY ~Yes, they are heads. What of it? It is custom where I come from to keep trophies, as I have said.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I undertand that, but it still seems disgusting. No race here would stoop to such a level~ GOTO  (?) <---- HERE is my prob, for, if VICONIA is in party I want her to break in with a coment before OCTOBER makes her reply.
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~GROSS!~ GOTO <---Ditto here, Except, if VICONIA Is NOT in party I want things to : GOTO Octob004_10
END

What you're looking for is an EXTERN-command. Here, let me show you:

IF ~IsValidForPartyDialogue("Viconia")~ THEN REPLY ~I undertand that, but it still seems disgusting. No race here would stoop to such a level~ EXTERN VICONIJ TobiComment
IF ~IsValidForPartyDialogue("Viconia")~ THEN REPLY ~GROSS!~ EXTERN VICONIJ TobiComment
IF ~!IsValidForPartyDialogue("Viconia")~ THEN REPLY ~GROSS!~ GOTO Octob004_10
END

Then, you'd need to append VICONIJ like this:

APPEND VICONIJ
IF ~~ TobiComment
SAY ~String~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO Octob004_10
END
END

Put this on the bottom of your .d-file. And yes, the double END's are intentional.

Also, If the PC learned something about OCTOBER in, say, PC/October banter #2 and October gave a "SAY ~This is not something I care to discuss now.~" is there any way I can access the question or information Now in PC/October banter #4 (now that they are closer) so Tobi can tell us all about it?

You can set a global or (better yet) a local to see what Tobi answered.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#85 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 03:25 AM

[quote name='minotaur_in_maze' date='Jan 14 2005, 12:17 AM']Also, If the PC learned something about OCTOBER in, say, PC/October banter #2 and October gave a "SAY ~This is not something I care to discuss now.~" is there any way I can access the question or information Now in PC/October banter #4 (now that they are closer) so Tobi can tell us all about it?
[/quote]
You can set a global or (better yet) a local to see what Tobi answered.
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

Ahhh Thank you for the EXTERN information, I shall work it that way!

I am sorry to say I am not real clear on the globals/locals bit (above) so a little more infor would be warmly accepted.

Another minor (minor?) prob... I need to work up a script. I have two sections, one is a cutscene where October and Jan get drunk using wine stired with a wand...with disasterous results (this is one I was told was TOO L.O.N.G. so I streamlined it) and then in the morning (After resting) they have a short conversation about it.

The other is a special set of circumstances which should trigger if October dies and is resurected...

I am told that I need a special script to check on things for both resurection (so the correct actions start) and to continue dialog for (Camp) after rest. Any advice or tutos y'all can point me at?

Thanx as always :thumb:

Minotaur In Maze :crying:

Attached Images

• October.JPG

They are wrong.

#86 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:23 AM

Hey, forgive me for asking this but...

When I started to write things out as you instructed, Sconrad, I noticed something and wanted to ask for clarification:

YOU WROTE:

---------------------------------

IF ~IsValidForPartyDialogue("Viconia")~ THEN REPLY ~I undertand that, but it still seems disgusting. No race here would stoop to such a level~ EXTERN VICONIJ TobiComment
IF ~IsValidForPartyDialogue("Viconia")~ THEN REPLY ~GROSS!~ EXTERN VICONIJ TobiComment
END

I think I am missing something here, but, do I ALSO need something for If Viconia IS NOT in the party? Or does it take care of itself? Seems to me that if she is Not there, everything would just stop based on the "IF ~!IsValidForPartyDialogue("Viconia")~" section x3.

Also YOU WROTE

Then, you'd need to append VICONIJ like this:

APPEND VICONIJ
IF ~~ TobiComment
SAY ~String~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO Octob002_10
END
END

Put this on the bottom of your .d-file. And yes, the double END's are intentional.
-----------------------------------

Well I am guessing ~STRING~ is my dialog. I never learned TRAfing much from the two folks helping me thus far, but that's okay. So, I can just put this at the very bottom of the PC/October banter file and it will go automatically.
Yes that sounds right. I just wanted to read it back to be sure. :)

Shed,

Thanks for the ongoing advice. I NEED it.

Minotaur et. all. - Feeling better after coffee. (I'm NOT retarded. I SWEAR! :) )

Attached Images

• October.JPG

They are wrong.

#87 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:35 AM

END

I think I am missing something here, but, do I ALSO need something for If Viconia IS NOT in the party? Or does it take care of itself? Seems to me that if she is Not there, everything would just stop based on the "IF ~!IsValidForPartyDialogue("Viconia")~" section x3.

View Post

The exclamation mark in ~!IsValidForPartyDialogue("Viconia")~ means "If Viconia is not in the party". It is a negative of the following condition ;). However, since it is the only reply available if she isn't, you might want to have another reply.

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~"When in Calimshite...", Tobi.~ GOTO Octob###_# 
END

Another thing: are you sure you want Viconia's interject, not banter file?

Edited by Shed, 14 January 2005 - 04:38 AM.

#88 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:37 AM

Hey, forgive me for asking this but...

When I started to write things out as you instructed, Sconrad, I noticed something and wanted to ask for clarification:

YOU WROTE:

END

That's already taken care of. In the first two reply options, you'll see the condition "IsValidForPartyDialog("Viconia")". Therefore, those options will only show up if Viconia is in the group and can talk. The third reply option required her NOT to be in the group (that's what the ! in front of the condition means--it cannot be true), so that option will show up if she isn't there or can't talk.

#89 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:20 AM

Another thing: are you sure you want Viconia's interject, not banter file?

VICONIJ is the dialogue that triggers when Viconia is in the party, the default dialogue for Viconia, in other words. The J-dialogue isn't a pure interjection-dialogue. The banter-dlg, though, is for banters only.

I use the J-dlg without hesitation in cases like this.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#90 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:25 AM

Ahh. the (!) in front changes things. :)

So I could:

-------------------------------
IF ~!IsValidForPartyDialogue("Viconia")~ THEN REPLY ~I undertand that, but it still seems disgusting.~ GOTO Octob002_10
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~"The practice is a little strange Tobi, you might want to try and adapt to this realm.~ GOTO Octob002_11
END

With the:

APPEND VICONIJ
IF ~~ TobiComment
SAY ~ ~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO Octob002_10
END
END
------------------------------

At the bottom of the file in question. :)

GOT it!

Minotaur - (We minotaur's get confused about computer stuff... :rolleyes:

Attached Images

• October.JPG

They are wrong.

#91 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:59 AM

The fourth transition here will be shown no matter if Viconia is in the party or not, you know. ;)

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#92 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:51 AM

And you seem to have some inverted commas at the beginning of the last reply ;).

#93 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:02 PM

And you seem to have some inverted commas at the beginning of the last reply ;).

View Post

I spent about 30 seconds staring at his post going: "Inverted commas? What the heck?" Meanwhile, I was thinking about pointing out the use of quotation marks in that location only. :rolleyes:

#94 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:14 PM

I spent about 30 seconds staring at his post going: "Inverted commas? What the heck?" Meanwhile, I was thinking about pointing out the use of quotation marks in that location only. :rolleyes:

:lol:

LOL

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#95 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:18 PM

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~"The practice is a little strange Tobi, you might want to try and adapt to this realm.~ GOTO Octob002_11

Note inverted commas ;).

Edited by Shed, 14 January 2005 - 12:19 PM.

#96 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:15 PM

OoooKAY, I cleaned up the Inverted Commas, it was an oversite, and Finished the banter... Which I would like to post here (complete) for your code check and reading pleasure.

Also I might include WHY I put what where...just to see how far off base I really am.

So, without further adu: :crying:

-----------------------Please take note of 002_11----------

BEGIN ~BOCTOB~
CHAIN
IF ~Global("PCOctob","LOCALS",1) <-----Going from One to TWO
See("PC")
!StateCheck("PC",STATE_SLEEPING)
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN PCOctob Banter002_00
SAY ~ Why do you keep staring at me <CHARNAME>? Is there something wrong?~
DO ~SetGlobal("PCOctob","GLOBAL",2)~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~ Hmm? Oh, well, not really, October. Uhm?~ GOTO Octob002_01
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Not especially, October. It's only that I've never encountered anyone from another *dimension* before, and while you've been a pretty nice person so far, those trophies on your armor are a little hard to take.~ GOTO Octob002_02
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Nothing October, just letting my thoughts carry me away from the moment. Please excuse me and don?t hold my absent mindedness against me, okay?~ GOTO Octob002_27
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Not a thing Chill. Now be silent and fall back into formation! I?m thinking.~ GOTO Octob002_28
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_01
SAY ~Your tone betrays you my friend. Out with it now. Copper for your thoughts.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~It?s just? Look, I don?t mean to be rude but? Those trophies you?ve been taking are a little much.~ GOTO Octob002_02
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~It really is nothing October. I was just thinking of the trials ahead for all of us. Oh, and that you have beautiful breasts.~ GOTO Octob002_03
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_02
SAY ~Really? I'm sorry. I certainly do not *mean* to offend. Do not the warrors of Faerun take trophies from their enemies after battle has been won?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~ I don't know. I can't say that it doesn't happen, but I have not encountered anyone who does it, before you, I mean. Even if they do loot, I bet most people don't take pieces of their enemies with them.~ GOTO Octob002_04
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Trophies maybe. Looting without a doubt, but not *PIECES* of the bodies themselves! It?s ghoulish.~ GOTO Octob002_05
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_03
SAY ~Odd things to be considering in combination. Have you reached any conclusions about either?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes. (Sigh.) Our travels will continue, despite that I wish otherwise. I simply grow so weary of it all, at times.~ GOTO Octob002_06
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Only that I need to keep my mind on the difficulties at hand. Your beauty, Ms. Chill, is a distraction.~ GOTO Octob002_07
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_04
SAY ~It is common whereist I am from to take trophies of our worthy kills.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yeah?I suppose. But, those *are* heads strapped to your belt, aren't they?~ GOTO Octob002_08
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes, but those are *HEADS* strapped to your belt October!~ GOTO Octob002_09

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_05
SAY ~Ghoulish? How do you mean <CHARNAME>?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Ghoulish! Those?trophies of yours. Actually, it?s sort of disgusting.~ GOTO Octob002_04
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I mean it?s? Look, do you have to take parts of your kills with you?~ GOTO Octob002_04
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_06
SAY ~I can understand that <CHARNAME>, but what more can we do? Whilst living in peace is preferable, we must be ever vigilant and ready for battle and the trials that come with it.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You are right of course; and I can see that you revel in battle. Must you take pieces of the enemies we kill as you have been doing? It?s a bit off putting~ GOTO Octob002_02
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes October, you are correct. Though conflict is something I would rather avoid it seems to follow me like a shroud. You appear to enjoy it though. Getting a lot of souvenirs? (Mild sarcasm.)~ GOTO Octob002_04
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_07
SAY ~Why thank you, <CHARNAME>! Nice to know you think so highly of me.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You are an attractive woman October, and don?t think I haven?t noticed. It?s just? The?mementos? you?ve been taking from our battles are a little hard to get used to.~ GOTO Octob002_02
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I do think you?re attractive October, at least so far as looks go. Other facets of your personality? Well, they seem? No, I don?t think we I should be speaking of these things.~ GOTO Octob002_01
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_08 <---This is a little goofy. I THINK I have it right.
IF ~!IsValidForPartyDialogue("Viconia")~ THEN REPLY ~I undertand that, but it still seems disgusting.~ GOTO Octob002_10
IF ~~!IsValidForPartyDialogue("Viconia")~ THEN REPLY ~The practice is a little strange Tobi, you might want to try and adapt to this realm.~ GOTO Octob002_11
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_09
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I undertand that, but it still seems disgusting. Do you really need all of them?~ GOTO Octob002_10
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~The practice is a little strange Tobi, you might want to try and adapt to this realm. Maybe not take as many?of them.~ GOTO Octob002_11
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_10
SAY ~I don?t keep every skull I come across <CHARNAME>, as you?ve no doubt noticed during our travels up ?till now.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You?ve taken enough of them. How many do you have there anyway, four? Five?~ GOTO Octob002_11
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You have more than a few there, October.~ GOTO Octob002_11
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_11 <---THIS one was REALLY involved. Is it close?
SAY ~I've kept but the two you see here, if only because they are bulky to carry and I have no idea how long I'll be within this realm.~
= ~This one, the rakshasa, is a particular prize; for these rakshasa creatures are not native to my dimension. When I get home, its display in my collection will give me considerable merit.~
= ~The other one is merely that of a slaver who mistakenly believe that I would be a prime piece of property. Not so valuable, except that it belongs to a member of another dimension. You can have that one if you wish, as a gesture of kinship and goodwill between us.~
IF ~IsValidForPartyDialog("MAZZY")~ THEN REPLY ~I?uhm?appreciate the?ahhh?thought, but?no. It would cause problems. Why do you keep them yourself, if I may ask?~ EXTERN MAZZYJ TobiCommentOne
IF ~IsValidForPartyDialog("ANOMEN")~ THEN REPLY ~No thanks! I just don't understand why you keep your enemy's heads', October. It seems like a grizzly practice to me!~ EXTERN ANOMEJ TobiCommentOne
IF ~IsValidForPartyDialog("KELDORN")~ THEN REPLY ~I?thank you?for the thought, October, but accepting such a?gift?would not be something I would feel comfortable with.~ EXTERN KELDOJ TobiCommentOne
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I appreciate the thought October, but I cannot accept. What do you keep the grizzly things for anyway?~ GOTO Octob002_13
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Why I sense you intentions are true, keeping such trophies myself is not something I care to do. Why do you take the heads, October?~ GOTO Octob002_13
END

(NOTE: All APPENDIs are at the Very bottom/End)

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_12
SAY ~Wow. That?s?vivid, Viconia.
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I won't even honor that remark with an answer, Viconia, and I believe I was speaking to October, not you.~
= ~In any event, Tobi, do you really need to take the heads of everything we battle?~ GOTO Octob002_10
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I?ll just pretend as though I didn?t hear that, drow witch. October, don?t you think you have enough?trophies?by now?~ GOTO Octob002_11
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_13
SAY ~It is... A show of respect.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~RESPECT?!?~ GOTO Octob002_14
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Respect? You?re going to have to explain that one Tobi.~ GOTO Octob002_14
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_14
SAY ~ Yes, Respect. My respect to them as a warrior who had the courage and power to challenge me.~
= ~The fact that they lost changes nothing. If anything, that fact makes it even more important that their deeds and fighting skills be remembered. It is my task to do that as they have fallen under my blade or arrow.~
IF ~IsValidForPartyDialog("MAZZY")~ THEN REPLY ~I don?t understand.~ EXTERN MAZZYJ TobiCommentTwo
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I?m not sure I follow.~ GOTO Octob002_15
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I can?t believe I am hearing this.~ GOTO Octob002_15
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_15
SAY ~You see , it is not entirely your enemy's fault that they, through action or desire, engaged you in combat. They are as much of a slave to the will of the Goddess as you yourself are, and they cannot -in the whole- be blamed that their destiny conflicted with your own.~
= ~I don't hate my enemies. Well, usually I don't, I try not to anyway. I understand that they must do as they must do, in the same way that I must. It is the will of the Goddess that we are brought into conflict with each other. If my enemy falls before me, such is life. It does not mean that they did not fight well, or bravely or with great talent; it simply means that I was better, smarter or quicker than they were at a certain point in the battle.~
= ~In most cases, with a thinking foe anyway, you must feel respect and maybe even love for the talents of your enemy - provided they are worthy of it. Some of the people I've killed have needed it, but Goddess how they fought! I still have the scars from some of those encounters and wear them proudly.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I still don't see why you keep their heads.Seems like it would be a waste and the ol? wall would fill up in a hurry from keeping the skull of every grizzly bear looking for a meal.~ GOTO Octob002_16
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~It makes no sense, October. How can you respect some animal you brought down after being attacked in a forrest, say?~ GOTO Octob002_16
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_16
SAY ~ I said, in *most* cases. If an animal, a dumb beast, attacks me - trying to feed itself say, I won't bother keeping it's head. Well, not unless it was an unusually fierce creature and a hard bring down. You notice both of these trophies on my belt came from thinking creatures.~
= ~Their heads, skulls, after they've been treated and preserved, will add to my collection. Often an evening is spent, among the fighting kind of my dimension, talking of battle and remembering particularly tough adversaries. We remember and relive the battles, reflect and pay them tribute on how well they fought and remark on the character they displayed in their deaths.~
= ~We compare scars in tribute to their prowess in blade or arrow or hammer and reflect on their resolve in battle. A fitting tribute I believe.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Sounds strange to me. They are still dead, and you're still the one who killed them. If that?s an honor, I don?t know what kind.~
= ~You *KILLED* them! Then kept their heads! What kind of tribute is that? ~ GOTO Octob002_17
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~And suppose that your enemy isn?t the one who is killed? Did you ever think of that, Tobi?~ GOTO Octob002_18
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_17
SAY ~Why, the *best* kind, . When I kill someone, a thinking creature who is trying their damndest to kill me, in battle; the act shows that I respect them. Their strength and skill with weapon or spell. It shows that I find them worthy of my time to fight and regard them as a serious enough threat to eliminate.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~And if your opponent feels the same, don?t you think it would make them try even harder than usual to kill you?~ GOTO Octob002_18
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Isn?t that a bit like trying to goad them into attacking you?~ GOTO Octob002_19
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_18
~That has occurred to me. <CHARNAME>, I?m very good with a sword. Armed by bow I am death with both hands. I would hope that my opponents would think me a serious enough threat and try to kill me with every bit of power they have available.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~And if one of those opponents should be better than you, or get lucky and slip a blade between your ribs?~ GOTO Octob002_20
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Did it ever occur to you that you might be the one who is killed in battle and not them? What of you then?~ GOTO Octob002_20
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_19
SAY ~Hardly.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~But it might just make your enemies more determined to cut you down that they already are.~ GOTO Octob002_18
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_20
SAY ~Then I hope I would have impressed them enough to take *MY* head, or scalp, as one of *their* trophies!~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You?re. Not. Serious.~
= ~Are you?~ GOTO Octob002_21
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I can?t believe I am actually discussing this in a serious conversation!~ GOTO Octob002_21
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You are joking, of course. Right?~ GOTO Octob002_21
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_21
SAY ~To have a part of myself permanantly mounted, in a position of honor I would hope, among the collection of a master of blade, bow or spell... To have them remember me and speak of the strength and resolve with which I fought... (SIGH!)~
~What more fitting and end could a warrior want?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Uhm... To die in bed, surrounded by one's great grandchildren, after a long, prosperous and fulfilling life?~ GOTO Octob002_22
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I suppose to die in battle would bring a certain amount of honor with it, and one can always be resurrected at a temple.~ GOTO Octob002_23
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_22
SAY ~We all have different ideas on what it is like to be "fulfilled".~
= ~Ideally yes, I perhaps would prefer to die of old age.~
= ~Perhaps not. Old age is not for the faint hearted.~
= ~Still, the life I have chosen, as a member of the Silverblades and as an adventurer in general, does not lend lots of promise to living to be an ancient villager surrounded by children. What chance do you think you or I or anyone really has when they keep fighting for that which needs fighting for?
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You may be right, October. I am not sure how much of that assessment of yours I agree with, but you may be right. I have one other question then.~ GOTO Octob002_24
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I think, October, that on this; you and I must be content to agree to disagree. But another question then if I may?~ GOTO Octob002_24
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_23
SAY ~Not I!
= ~I believe we have had this discussion before <CHARNAME>, though I feel I must warn you again? Should I be cut down in battle, Do Not use any of the infernal magiks of this strange realm to raise me. To do so would bring a curse upon my head, and quite possibly cost you your own. Heed my words.~
= ~In any event, if I must return to the cloak of the Goddess, I would prefer to die in battle, against a powerful and worthy foe.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes, you?ve mentioned it, though I still have a hard time grasping your reasons behind it. Nonetheless?it does make for a fulfilling life.~ GOTO Octob002_22
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes we?ve spoken of this before, and I still say you miss out on much that life has to offer by not taking advantage of resurrection.~GOTO Octob002_22
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_24
SAY ~Ask away <CHARNAME>. I feel a certain kinship and trust with you that is unusual for me. I like it.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You talk of collecting the heads...skulls...of some of your enemies. And I am guessing you display them at home someplace, when friends drop by for dinner and things like that, right?~ GOTO Octob002_25
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~These trophies?scalps and such?that you take. What do you do with them? Keep them on display as conversation pieces when company comes?~ GOTO Octob002_25
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_25
SAY ~Yes. So?~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You talk about those two heads on your belt, the one's you've gotten here in this realm, but I see *THREE* heads on your armor. That last one is no skull either, it looks...almost mummified.~
~An... Umberhulk?~
= ~What's the story with that?~ GOTO Octob002_26
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You?ve told me about the heads on your belt, two of them anyway. But that third looks a lot older, almost a fossil. Umberhulk was it?~ GOTO Octob002_26
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_26
SAY ~<CHARNAME> there are exceptions to every rule; and that head deserves no duty of honor to me.~
= ~That is the head of the creature that struck down my sister, Manda, in battle. I wear it as a legacy to her. Continuing testament to her and proof that I avenged her death.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~It sounds like you don't completely believe all that.~ GOTO Octob002_27
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Are you sure that there is no more to it than that, October? You sound?~
= ~You sound as though you have mixed feelings on the subject.~ GOTO Octob002_28
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_27
SAY ~Certainly not <CHARNAME>. We've spent enough time talking now, in any case. Let us catch up with the others.~
END
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Octob002_28
SAY ~I? I will say no more at the moment <CHARNAME>.~
END
END

APPEND VICONIJ
IF ~~ TobiComment
SAY ~Do not presume to speak for us all, <CHARNAME>. Among Drow, such trophies are common and valued. They give status and often command greater respect.~
= ~You for instance... While you *do* at times appear to be a whimpering, flacid, sop of a <PRO_MANWOMAN>; you have great strength of will and power within you. Your carcass, preserved and mounted under glass, would make a prized centerpiece in the display of any Drow fighter after they'd slaughtered you in combat!~
= ~You see , you *DO* have some worth after all.~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO Octob002_12
END
END

APPEND MAZZYJ
IF ~~ TobiCommentOne
SAY ~ I too question the honor of making trophies of the dead. I wish you would explain it, October, to all of us. Why do you do it?~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO Octob002_13
END
END

APPEND MAZZYJ
IF ~~ TobiCommentTwo
SAY ~ I believe *I* begin to; now.~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO Octob002_15
END
END

APPEND ANOMEJ
IF ~~ TobiCommentOne
SAY ~Savage, Godless custom if truth be known! What possible reason can you find to justify this butchery?~
END
END

APPEND KELDOJ
IF ~~ TobiCommentOne
SAY ~Though I have been loath to speak of it, I have wondered about that as well, Lady Chill. What possesses you to keep the heads of those you slay?~
END
END
-----------------------------------------------------

So tell me folks, am I close to correct? Does the banter hold one's attention?

How many changes must I make to have it Work?

Minotaur In Maze :thumb:

Attached Images

• October.JPG

They are wrong.

#97 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 04:53 AM

BEGIN ~BOCTOB~
CHAIN
IF ~Global("PCOctob","LOCALS",1) <-----Going from One to TWO
See("PC")
!StateCheck("PC",STATE_SLEEPING)
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN PCOctob Banter002_00
SAY ~ Why do you keep staring at me <CHARNAME>? Is there something wrong?~ 
DO ~SetGlobal("PCOctob","GLOBAL",2)~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~ Hmm? Oh, well, not really, October. Uhm?~ GOTO Octob002_01
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Not especially, October. It's only that I've never encountered anyone from another *dimension* before, and while you've been a pretty nice person so far, those trophies on your armor are a little hard to take.~ GOTO Octob002_02
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Nothing October, just letting my thoughts carry me away from the moment. Please excuse me and don?t hold my absent mindedness against me, okay?~ GOTO Octob002_27
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Not a thing Chill. Now be silent and fall back into formation! I?m thinking.~ GOTO Octob002_28
END

View Post

1. Comments are done by // Comment
or /* Comment */. Not "<-----".

2. There should not be a CHAIN here. You only need to use CHAINs for hopping back and forth between different dialogue files (read what the WeiDU readme has to say about CHAINs). They shouldn't be in a PC banter. Instead put the conditions into the IF for the first state Banter002_00.

3. You can only DO in a transition (i.e. reply). Add that DO to every reply.

4. Use LOCALS for your variables, not GLOBAL. Also, be consistent. You used both here, so it wouldn't work ;).

5. There should be a comma before use of the vocative (e.g. "Hey, bug eyed monster! Die!").

IF ~Global("PCOctob","LOCALS",1) // Going from One to TWO
See("PC")
!StateCheck("PC",STATE_SLEEPING)~
THEN BEGIN PCOctob Banter002_00
SAY ~Why do you keep staring at me, <CHARNAME>? Is there something wrong?~ 
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~ Hmm? Oh, well, not really, October. Uhm?~ DO ~SetGlobal("PCOctob","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO Octob002_01
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Not especially, October. It's only that I've never encountered anyone from another *dimension* before, and while you've been a pretty nice person so far, those trophies on your armor are a little hard to take.~ DO ~SetGlobal("PCOctob","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO Octob002_02
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Nothing, October, just letting my thoughts carry me away from the moment. Please excuse me and don?t hold my absent mindedness against me, okay?~ GOTO Octob002_27
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Not a thing, Chill. Now be silent and fall back into formation! I?m thinking.~ DO ~SetGlobal("PCOctob","LOCALS",2)~ GOTO Octob002_28
END

Using double ENDs is to END an APPEND. Here you have used double ENDs before you even begin APPENDing :P . Don't ;).

SAY ~Certainly not <CHARNAME>. We've spent enough time talking now, in any case. Let us catch up with the others.~
END
END

END
END

Moreover, there has to be at least one transition for every state.

IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN EXIT~
END

Also, you seem to have forgotten to END Octob002_04.

Should be commented... and APPENDIs? Let me see what Weimer has to say about APPENDIs.

Avoid it.

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Are you sure that there is no more to it than that, October? You sound?~
= ~You sound as though you have mixed feelings on the subject.~ GOTO Octob002_28

Loads of examples of this - you can't use MULTISAY in a transition.

You forgot to use a = in Octob002_21 to MULTISAY.

APPEND MAZZYJ
IF ~~ TobiCommentOne
SAY ~ I too question the honor of making trophies of the dead. I wish you would explain it, October, to all of us. Why do you do it?~
END
// END - But you don't want to stop APPENDing MAZZYJ!

//APPEND MAZZYJ - You can append more than one state at a time.
IF ~~ TobiCommentTwo
SAY ~ I believe *I* begin to; now.~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO Octob002_15
END
END

I didn't even look at the writing, but there didn't seem to be much terribly wrong ;). I daresay SConrad will find something in your coding that I overlooked.

#98 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:34 AM

Zoinks!

Thanks Shed, I shall beging corrections at once. I also plan, though not until tonight (UK time) to PM you. I had hoped to avoid this as I know yer busy, but...

It seems I still have a bit to learn. I can live with that. :)

Will NOT give up!

Minotaur In Maze

They are wrong.

#99 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:27 AM

Should be commented... and APPENDIs? Let me see what Weimer has to say about APPENDIs.

Avoid it.

Considering the fact that there are no APPENDI in the .d, I'd say that it was a typo or something similar.

And Weimer say "Avoid it" and "Don't use this" about half the things WeiDU can do. It's probably good to have warning-signs, but I tend to ignore them. But you'll need to know exactly what you're doing, if you want to use such actions/features/whatever.

I didn't even look at the writing, but there didn't seem to be much terribly wrong ;). I daresay SConrad will find something in your coding that I overlooked.

Well, yes. I choked on the CHAIN, the locals-globals, the multisay's in the transitions, the missing END and the double-END's, the uncommented comments and the missing transitions when I first browsed it through. But Shed got all that.

He didn't, however, spot the wrong dialogue-names. It's ANOMENJ and KELDORJ. ;)

Edited by SConrad, 15 January 2005 - 06:28 AM.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#100 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:57 AM

Thanks Shed, I shall beging corrections at once. I also plan, though not until tonight (UK time) to PM you. I had hoped to avoid this as I know yer busy, but...

NP :). I'd find an email easier (you know my private address), but a pm is fine.

He didn't, however, spot the wrong dialogue-names. It's ANOMENJ and KELDORJ. ;)

I noticed, but wasn't sure, and couldn't be bothered to check :P.