• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:44 PM

?Oh, he isn?t dead is he? How tragic. Funny, but tragic.?

A squealy, high-pitched voice pierced the relative silence of the glade. Bethal swung on her heel, and her eyes widened. Before her, was the last thing she had ever excpected to see in a wooded hill in the Sword Coast. What looked like a small, elven, royal procession. Four muscular elves carried a palanquin, made of what looked like pure silver on their shoulders, and seated on which was the source of the mousy voice.

A youthful? beautiful, pale elf maiden, clad in a rich purple gown and profuse amounts of ceremonial jewellery. She was now giggling, and raised a delicate hand to her mouth as she caught sight of Bethal?s face. Beside the palanquin, on the right side, stood four warriors, in full shining steel armour, swords on their hips. And on the left, stood two mages, one man, and one woman, both wearing ornately embroidered black robes. There were two things all the elves had in common; they all had the purest milk-white skin and long, flowing, silver hair, and they were all exquisitely beautiful.

?I told you we should?ve stayed on the plane.? Murmured the male mage, to his female companion. The woman sighed, and rolled her pale blue eyes.

?Queen Kyrana desired to take a small stroll outside, to work up an appetite for dinner. Although, truth be told, I fail to see the logic behind her reasoning, since she has rode the palanquin for half an hour now.?

With that, the woman took a step towards Bethal and Elandir, paying no heed to the corpses that lay beside them, and, leaning down, ran a hand over the scar on his neck. Everything seemed to be moving to fast for Bethal to comprehend, but she could not help feeling a small pang of jealousy as the maiden gazed down at his wound. ?I am Ziirahasi of the house of Dray. You must be Bethal. I know more then you think. Do what I say and no harm shall come to you.? She thought she heard the mage mutter, silky soft and quiet.

Edited by Hishi, 02 November 2004 - 01:13 PM.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#42 MantraSong

MantraSong

Sweet, harmless killer...

• 217 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:17 PM

After a moment, the elf maiden ? Queen Kyrana ? stood up. She turned to Ziirahasi, ?This elf needs healing; we will bring him back with us,? she said authoritatively, and then she turned to the palanquin-bearers and began directing them to put Elandir on it. When he was safely placed, she said to Ziirahasi, ?Let?s go,? and turned back down the path. Ziirahasi cleared his throat politely, and she turned back, frowning. ?What is it?? she demanded. Ziirahasi merely looked pointedly at Bethal, and raised his thin eyebrows. ?What is your point?? she asked. ?Just leave her here.?

Ziirahasi hesitated for a minute, and then bowed humbly, and a fluid string of syllables flowed from his mouth. All of the bearers looked scandalized, a look that was mirrored on Kyrana?s face, then it slowly changed to irritation and finally annoyed acceptance. She snapped out a quick series of syllables, clearly the same language, but much harsher.

Ziirahasi smiled, and, with a few odd gestures and a long string of syllables, an incandescent oval appeared in front of Kyrana. She stalked through, followed by the palanquin. Ziirahasi nodded to Bethal, indicating that she should precede him through. Taking a deep breath, she nodded, and stepped through.

She emerged into a bright, circular room. A cleric was already kneeling over Elandir, praying to her deity. Kyrana was standing before her looking at the gate over her shoulder. She turned around in time to see Ziirahasi step through and close the gate, then she turned back. ?Welcome, human,? Queen Kyrana said, regally, ?to the pocket realm of the royal Drune.?

?Now,? whispered Ziirahasi, coming up behind her, ?would be a good time to bow.?

Edited by MantraSong, 02 November 2004 - 06:52 PM.

Just because I'm paranoid does not mean the world isn't out to get me!!

'Blink your eyelids periodically to lubricate your eyes.' ? Page 16 of the HP 'Environmental, Health Safety Handbook for Employees'.

Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

#43 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 12:06 PM

Bethal gulped, and bowed forward, stumbling slightly. She jumped as she felt another figure glide to her other side, opposite Ziirahasi. Kyrana looked remotely satisfied.

?Ehphisillia?? Ziirahasi murmured, as his female companion slunk up beside him, and she regarded Bethal with an air of disdain. ?This ? human? is the painted girl?? She grinned, her shimmering silver eyes playful.

?Yes. She?s rather disappointing, is she not?? Replied Ziirahasi, in kind. Ehphisillia looked as though she would reply, but she was cut off by a another squealy groan from Kyrana.

?*Who* is your queen, Ziirahasi?? She folded her arms and glared at Ehphisillia.

?You, my queen, and no other.? Ziirahasi replied, bowing low, still watching Ehphisillia from under his platinum eyelashes. Bethal observed a small smile flicker between the pair. They were definitely very much attached.

?Then perhaps you should listen to what *I* have to say, and not your mage girl.? The queen pouted, exchanging her frosty beauty for a moment of childish jealousy.

Bethal noticed Ehphisillia watching her. Ehphisillia was definitely more beautiful then the queen? but in a more intense way. Less fragile looking, and more mature. Perhaps it was a trick of the light in the silvery marble room, but she thought she saw Ehphisillia smile at her, before she bowed to Kyrana, and took Bethal?s hand, leading her towards Elandir.

Edited by Hishi, 04 November 2004 - 11:14 AM.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#44 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 06:01 PM

The serious look on Ehphisillias face loosened as the queen and Ziirahasi left the room. Keeping the grip on Bethal's hand Ehphisillia knelt down beside the cleric and exchanged a few words in their language with her. Bethal could see her eyes widen in suprise, and then turning into a look she couldn't quite make out from the angle she was looking at her. When she turned her head back to Bethal she noticed that she was now clearly smiling with amusement and something altogether.... different. She ordered the cleric to leave (which she did hurriedly) and stood up. She had seemingly lost all maturity she had displayed when queen Kyrana still was present - or anyone else for that matter. In fact, she looked like a spoiled girl just about to start giggling about something amusing her quite a lot. Bethal finally found her voice again.

"What is it.... will he be well again?" she asked

Ehphisillia stared at her, the smile getting wider and wider. She approached Bethal and pulled her closer by the hand, putting her slender arms around her waist. Before Bethal could do anything or knew what was happening she had planted a quick kiss on her lips. "You're so irresistably evil, little girl" she said, now breaking into giggling.

Bethal staggered backwards "What...." - Ehphisillia was still giggling. "And such a good actress as well" she commented, hardly able to control the giggles that went through her body like spasms.

"But I...." Bethal started, but Ehpisillia interrupted her "I quite underestimated you. You are indeed worthy of being the painted girl."

"Not only did you slaughter those young knights of Torm...."

"Knights of Torm..?" Bethal asked, still unwilling to believe the horror she had lived through just minutes ago

"Awwww, come on. You can stop playing games now" Ehphisillia started giggling again. "Although I certainly like your playing games."

Ehphisillia noticeably had to try get a grip on herself - "No, what I wanted to say is, not only did you cause *that* massacre, but you also cleared the memory of your companion here..."

Bethal's heart tightened, and she felt it would freeze up right in her chest. "What ... are you insinuating?"

"I would have never thought..." Ehphisillia started, but had to stop because another wave of giggles attacked her. Finally she continued "... I would have never thought, that you, looking so innocent and boring, would have nearly killed your little elf here as well. And *then* clearing his memory to make him your little sidekick." She had to stop giggling again.

Bethal wanted to reply, but Ehphisillia finally managed to continue "You have certainly surprised me, little human."

崇高滑稽
·

#45 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:35 AM

"What? No! No! It wasn't me..."

Bethal knew she was babbling, and she also knew with a sinking feeling of despair that Ehphisillia thought she was too.

"Come, child, you don't have to hide your secrets from me," she smiled at her almost fondly. "In fact, they may make you quite worthwhile to me."

At that, Bethal instantly quietened, and then unconsciously grasped the drow amulet that Gelrandir had given her for succor. Why did everyone all of a sudden consider her to be a tool to help them? Why did they keep talking about her as if she really was this 'Painted One'? What did it mean? Why? Why her? She'd just wanted a simple adventure...
She choked on that thought. Literally. Ehphisillia looked at her strangely as she stumbled forwards onto her knees and cradled Elandir's head in her lap instinctively. That cruel, taunting word seemed to mock her in a wave of never ceasing echoes.

Simple... simple... simple... simple...

It was joined by others, soon. Many others. They drove into her; nailed into her head. Every single syllable left an imprint on her mind that would not fade as she tried to wrench herself from the temptation of passing out right then and there from horror and exhaustion.

Adventure... adventure... why..? Why..? Painted One..? What..? Did..? It..? Mean..? Knights... Of... Torm... Criminal... Courts... Tried... Jail... Murderer... Murderer...

All of a sudden, the waves of pressure forcing her to faint retreated as a moment of stark clarity hit her. She stroked Elandir's forehead, feeling his soft skin beneath her fingertips as she came to a sudden realization.

Wherever she was, whoever she was... right now, that didn't matter. All that mattered now was that she was a murderer. She was into this strange business of adventuring neck-deep, and there was no turning back.

It never crossed her mind that Ehphisillia had lied to her.

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#46 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:36 AM

Ehphisillia sighed, and folded her arms, drumming her thin fingertips in what appeared to be boredom, and exhaling purposefully slowly.

?Still, I can see why you liked him, I suppose? much better looking then Gelrandir.?

Bethal stayed facing forwards, her fingers still wandering across Elandir?s face.

?What? what do you know about Gelrandir?? She murmured, in what was almost a whisper.

?More then you. But less then I?d like to know. I was hoping you?d be able to fill in some blanks, my pretty little painted human. But, for what it?s worth, I can return the favour. He was a Drune, once, you know.?

She should?ve known. There was something about these Silver people she recognised. She stared vaguely ahead. Things were all beginning to piece together now. Then? surely her abduction by these people couldn?t have been entirely by accident? perhaps even their flippant queen knows more then she shows, as well. Her moments of thought were suddenly interrupted, as she felt Elandir?s eyelashes brush across the tip of her finger.

Edited by Hishi, 16 November 2004 - 11:39 AM.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#47 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 03:36 PM

His eyes slowly flickered open. He opened his mouth, but only a small gurgling noise came from his throat. "What.... Where am I" it took him a while before he could finally form the words.

Ehphisillia leaned over, looking at Elandir "Ahh I can see the elf's waking up..." her voice took on an amused tone "Oh, we shall see! There should be some amusement in this for all of us." - Bethal looked up at Ehphisillias face, and it was obvious she was trying hard to supress giggles again. Ehphisillia stood up again, walked to the back of the room and leant against the wall.

Bethal looked back down on Elandir. He was staring at the ceiling, his look unfocused. "Where *are* we? I .... I don't remember..."

Bethal answered in a soft voice "We are.... " a shudder passed through her body at the memory ".... we were attacked by a ghoul...."

"Yes..." Elandir interrupted her, his eyes inspecting the room, but still unfocused ".... I remember.... things.... if I could only..."

As if struck by lightning his eyes suddenly focused on Bethal, and to her horror they were filled with.... hatred. Elandir sat up bolt right, almost knocking Bethal to the ground, and sprang to his feet.

His fists clenched and he started raising his arms, only to drop them helpessly to his sides. Clearly, he seemed confused and devastated, but also... which worried Bethal most, angry.

"Why... You...." were the only words that he finally spoke, and yet the tone made them feel as devastating as if he had just handed her a death sentence. They were filled with almost pure hatred, anger and abhorrence. To make things worse Ehphisillia started giggling again. Unable to stand up, Bethal cowered on the floor.

"Who would have thought... All this time following you... I was nought but a tool to your sick mind!" he exclaimed, and Bethal twitched as she realized what it was that made him act this way.

"You.... do you.... remember?" she asked timidly.

"Oh yes, I do" he spat, "Your foul game is finally over!"

He took a deep breath and, in a determined yet not totally convincing tone, he continued "I should have let you get killed back in the forest. If only I had known." He shook his head, obviously trying to sort his own thoughts and memories.

"But... I can explai-" Bethal started, but he interrupted "You're a monster! You're sick!" he flung at her, the fury getting strong in his words.
He looked at the ground. The raging storm his voice had been calmed to a silent pool of deception and resignation when he continued "Only a sick person could do this to someone who just wanted to help them."

He glanced at her Drow necklace "I could.... understand... why you would want to kill me."

He paused, thinking for a moment "Maybe I'd understand even putting a spell on me so I wouldn't remember... but you..." his voice filled with anger again, and something else... disgust. "... you took me *with you* after what had happened. I bet it was quite entertaining for you, wasn't it! Had some good laughs at my ignorance?"

"But... he had said that you would..." Bethal started, but fell silent as she realized she had just thrown away the last possibilities to reconciliate. In horror, she covered her mouth with her hand.

"So it was the Painted One you were working with all along!" he exclaimed angrily. "I should have known... I really should have known..."

Ehphisillia was nearly crying with giggles, but if Elandir noticed her at all, he didn't show it. Bethal felt betrayed ... no ... worse than that. She felt as if the entire world had turned against her. She covered her face, hot tears running down her cheeks.

"I feel ... disgust for you!" Elandir flung at her, his voice shaking now as well "How could you... get so evil... so mean..."

She tried to shut out Elandir's voice shouting at her, Ehphisillias joyous giggles, and the world that seemed to hostile and cruel to her. But as much as she tried, the world did *not* vanish.

Shifting his arms helplessly, Elandir paused for a moment and ran out the room.

As soon as he had left, Bethal felt someone kneeling down next to her, and instinctively knew it was Ehphisillia. She lifted Bethal to her feet, and put an arm around Bethal's shoulder. Bethal wanted to wrench away from Ehphisillia, but she had no strength. Ehphisillia almost tenderly brushed away a tear on Bethal's cheek with her index finger. She smiled.

崇高滑稽
·

#48 MantraSong

MantraSong

• 217 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:50 AM

?There now, that wasn?t so bad now, was it?? Ehphisillia asked, smiling. ?Now, be a good girl, and come along with me.? Bethal wanted to resist, but she was exhausted and numb, and Ehphisillia dragged her along gently but firmly though a dizzying set of hallways.

Finally they stopped, and Ehphisillia opened up a door leading into a lavish sitting room of some sort. ?This is your suit,? she said, leading her in. She lead Bethal around the room, pointing out conveniences, There was a table where food would be magically delivered and another table to place trash in, and it would be whisked away, there was also a personal privy in the room, complete with an ornate bathing tub, where the water could be quickly filled from some type of faucet. Even the bedroom was ornate, complete with a huge, incredibly soft bed, and a wardrobe that produced clothing that would fit her exactly.

When they were done, Ehphisillia giggling girlishly over the shock on Bethal?s face, Ehphisillia took her leave. ?We will talk again once you have rested,? she said. As she was walking out the door she turned around, ?Oh, and, just in case you had gotten any ideas, the door will be locked.?

Bethal stared numbly at the door for nearly five minutes, then walked over and grabbed the handle. Sure enough, it was locked. ?Damn it,? she muttered, walking around the room. There was no way to get out; she was a prisoner. She collapsed onto one of the sofas in the sitting room, wishing she weren?t too exhausted to weep some more. She wondered how Elandir was doing; she hoped she would have a chance to tell him her side of the story, before these Drune poisoned his mind. There was not doubt in her mind that they would, they seemed incredibly shallow creatures, not caring who they hurt in pursuit of their own pleasure, not unlike Gelrandir.

Thinking of Gelrandir, she brought her hand almost subconsciously to the necklace. She smiled a little grimly. Maybe he would be willing to give her some answers to this situation, and why the Drune kept calling her the ?painted one.? Carefully, she began composing herself to talk to him.

'Blink your eyelids periodically to lubricate your eyes.' ? Page 16 of the HP 'Environmental, Health Safety Handbook for Employees'.

#49 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:31 PM

[Sorry! I didn't mean for it to be so long...]

Taking a deep breath, Bethal lightly brushed her fingertips against the cold, Drow necklace. Even now, in the relative physical comfort of the Drune room, the amulet seemed to almost drag her down with its weight. However, instead of merely hearing his voice, this time, she felt a strange rushing, opened her unconsciously closed eyes, and saw...

The laugh clattered through this empty space like plates hurled by an angry housewife against the walls. Someone was laughing... and clapping. Something that Bethal wasn't surprised at... except for...
Except for the fact that it clearly wasn't Gelrandir's voice.
Looking around, she saw nothing but a strange, almost filmy blackness. Hesitantly, she reached out and touched it. Immediately, she withdrew her hand in disgust. Slime dripped from this strange, textured doorway. But... it was closed.

Suddenly, the anger that had slowly built up since she had first fallen into this tangled web of unfolding plots exploded. With a cry, she let loose a powerful kick that almost jarred her hip. Wood splintered under her furious assault, until she was enveloped in a rising cloud of dust and fragmented softwood. Angrily, she stalked through it, only to find herself at a window. Hesitantly, she drew apart the curtains, and stared, transfixed, at the scene that unfolded in front of her.

The inhuman laugh came from a drow that stood, legs apart, over a cowering figure. Slowly, he brought his hands together once more, in a final, ominous clap. The silence stirred, bringing back the echo of that single action again and again until even the echo faded.

"Well, well, well... I expected you to do well, but not this well."

The figure on the floor groaned and moved, but the drow merely contemptuously kicked it. It curled in agony. The drow merely smiled and unleashed some arcane spell that Bethal couldn't recognize from his fingertips. The magic crashed into the figure, making him gasp in pain.

"I mean... the trickery... the plot with the Drune... the manipulating of both the human AND the elf."

The figure groaned again, and then spoke in a low, halting tone.
"I... I didn't mean... I shouldn't have... don't hurt them."

"You're sounding quite different, now that you're quivering under my feet," the drow smirked.

"Do whatever you want with me," the figure shuddered again, and Bethal saw a small trickle of blood run down his outstretched hands. "But don't hurt Bethal and Elandir."

"I will do whatever I want with you... which will probably be torturing you for quite awhile. You shouldn't have escaped, you know. And the Mr. 'I'm so powerful and commanding' mask you took with dear Bethal? It will be quite amusing to see it torn off in front of her when she arrives."

"Don't... hurt..."

"Oh, don't stress. She'll die a relatively painless death to yours. And don't worry, you won't be alone. You'll have a companion with you as you die who'll be sharing the same fate."

Another figure was thrown onto the floor, bound. With a sudden start, Bethal came to a realization. A horrific, terrible, realization.

The drow was Veltek. The first figure was Gelrandir. The new person who'd just been thrown onto the floor was Elandir.

But the most horrible realization of all was the last one. Without a single shred of doubt, she was convinced that the magic of the necklace was somehow allowing her to see what was happening right at that very moment. Something that she knew was really happening.
And she knew, that if there was any hope at all for Gelrandir and Elandir, she was it.

Edited by Shadowhawke, 24 November 2004 - 10:36 PM.

#50 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 09:00 AM

She stood completely still, as if pretrified. The feelings got stronger and stonger, threatening to overwhelm her. 'What am I going to do? Damn you, Veltek - damn you!' Tears started welling up her eyes again.

Her desperation was disrupted by a stab of pain in her head. When the pain had died down to a dull throbbing, she felt something had changed. She wasn't entirely... herself anymore. There was another presence ... inside her. Someone else who didn't quite belong.

She felt scared, yet somehow strangely comforted by the alien presence. She sought for a way to get into the room to get to Elandir, even if it meant her own death. She couldn't let him down now. She couldn't. Desperately she tried finding a way inside, but to no avail - no way seemed to open into the closed room. Helplessly she thrust herself against the window, but only hurt her shoulder in the process.

"Forget Elandir. Forget him, child." She could feel own lips form the words.

Bethal nearly choked. The thought had been so close, coming from deep inside her. "Why? ... *Why?*" she asked herself, and to her surprise got an answer.

"There is no time. Do as I say, and do it now. Forget the elf!" - she felt her mouth form the words again, but it weren't her own. They were strange, yet there was something somehow... familiar about them.

Realization struck her like a bolt of lightning. "Ehphisillia?" she gasped incredulously.

"Yes, my dear. But there is no time now. Get your mind off the elf! There will be no getting past the spell like this!"

"But how am I supposed to? He's being tortured in there!" A wave of pain passed through her body, concentrating in a painful sting centered on her heart at the mere thought.

To that, she got no response, but instead she felt as if her brain had been turned upside down. She imagined hearing a silent apology before being surrounded by the memories... memories flashing past right before her eyes, ugly memories. When the images had come to rest she was in a dimly lit room. She was back in... yes,... the inn. Her surroundings seemed unnatural, and as she drifted through her own memory she saw a figure, huddled against the wall. She tried to focus, to get a view on what was happening, but as if time had slowed to a crawl, it took her a long time to make out any details.

She went cold as she realized what this was about. This had been the night.... This was the night.. the figure.... it was her! Just as she realized, the vision snapped into focus, and she could see the dark figure approach her. Once again she started to feel the drowning sensation she had felt when the skeleton had looked into her eyes. The colours were threatening to blind her. It was now that she saw what was happening... the skeleton was.... yes, it was.... but before she could finish the thought she gasped with horror, and the inn around her wavered and turned into a flash of burning light. There was a hole in the smoldering ball of fire surrounding her, an inviting chill of cool air near the fiery frame. Slowly she moved towards the opening and tried to see, but as hard as she tried, she could not see what lay beyond. Taking a deep breath she jumped through the fiery door frame.

She fell on the hard stone floor, the fall almost knocking her out. She was now ... inside. Wherever that was. Almost mechanically she tried to stand up and stumbled. Veltek was staring at her with an expression of surprise and confusion on his face.

"Vel'bol zhah nindol nibele?" The sound of surprise in his voice was noticeable even if she did not understand a word. He repeated his question, but the words started to make sense to Bethal. She could... inexplainable to her, but she could... understand... what he said.

"What is this game?" he repeated, now with a more demanding voice.

"Dosst nibele zhah phor, ilythiiri. Rah ukta phor xor dos inbal alkar dosst dro." the words came from her mouth with great determination and anger.

Recognition reflected on Veltek's face. "Kyrana, Kyrana... Do you really think you can stop me now? I am so close.... so close!"

"Natha wael dos phuul, whol z'reninthin ussa Kyrana. Yutsu lil valuk lueth nau jivviim zhal doer ulu dos. whol nin." Bethal replied, her voice rising with anger.

Veltek laughed a fake laugh. "You really think you are on a position to threaten me, Kyrana? I know it is you. You are no threat to me through this.... pathetic human." he spat, his voice dripping with anger and disgust.

Confused she realized she could not understand a word of what she said, although she could understand Veltek, who was clearly speaking the same language. She brushed aside the thought and looked down to Elandir... only to find out that she couldn't. She had no control over her body. Instead she found herself muttering a few syllables, a yellow glow starting to form around her hands. The glow intensified, a bright aura surrounding her in no time.

Veltek's initial look of confusion and surprise quickly changed to fear as the yellow bolt of pure magic shot out of Bethals fingertips and, despite only hitting his long flowing robe setting it afire immediately, sent a shudder of pain through Veltek's body as he cursed.

He lifted his hands and - with a flash of blue light - vanished, barely escaping another bolt of magic aimed directly for his heart.

A shock went through Bethal's head as if something vital to her had been thrust out by force. Feeling more spent than ever before, she fell into - almost welcoming - nothingness.

Edited by Erephine, 31 October 2005 - 01:43 PM.

崇高滑稽
·

#51 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:28 PM

She awoke to the soft sound of the Drune speech. She lay on the soft bed in her chamber, between the silk sheets, feeling strangely rested? she recognised the three voices. Kyrana, Ziirahasi, and Ehphisillia. She could tell they sat at the foot of her bed... and, she began to catch snippets of their conversation? perhaps even more strangely, she could understand them.

?You can?t use the girl to that extent Kyrana. Even if she is the painted one? she isn?t strong enough? yet.? That seemed to be Ziirahasi, a low, honeyed voice.

?Don?t order * me * around.? This was Kyrana? clearly.

?We were lucky to get her? you know who else wanted her. The Drow, the moon elves, the Zhentarim? even the illithid showed interest in her. I?m surprised she lived in her quaint settlement unnoticed for so long.? Ehphisillia clearly was displaying her serious side again.

Ziirahasi sighed. ?Call the clerics?? he murmured.

?And what of her elf, companion? thing?? Kyrana drawled.

?Leave him? to me.?

Bethal did not have to open her eyes to tell Ehphisillia was grinning? and she clearly had no good intentions.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#52 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:39 PM

'It shall be done. I assume everything has been talked about, then?' Kyrana replied, her tone completely normal again.

Bethal could hear the queen stand up. She heard her steps fade away, but suddenly she stopped, hesitating. 'You will come with me, Ziirahasi.' she said after a brief silent moment, with a commanding tone to her voice.

There was a long pause, and the silence was finally broken by Ehphisillia. 'What are you waiting for? It's okay, Ziirahasi, go with her.' she merely said.

'Yes... yes, of course.' Ziirahasi finally muttered as he and the queen left the room and closed the door behind them.

The door was only closed for a short time when it was opened again.

'How is she?' an unfamiliar voice asked. Despite her little knowledge about Drune speech, Bethal noticed that it was the voice of an old wise Drune.

'She still hasn't woken up.' Ehphisillia replied, and to Bethal's surprise, a clearly worried tone was in her voice.

She felt a warm, comforting hand touch her forehead, and it was clearly the hand of a very old person. The touch filled her with new energies, yes - even seemed to make her situation appear less horrible. She lost any feeling of time in a sort of sweet dreamyness and woke up only as the hand was removed.

'She'll be alright. She should wake up... any moment now.' The old cleric said.

Ehphisillia sighed. 'You can go, then.' she added with a certain impatience.

With renewed strength and only little effort Bethal opened her eyes to find Ehphisillia leaning over her with a worried expression on her face. Bethal wanted to sit up and get out of the bed, but Ehphisillia softly pushed her back down into the soft bed.

"You must rest. Look, I... I want to apologize if I have... had to be a bit rough on you..." she said in a soothing voice.

Surprised by Ehphisillia's behaviour Bethal collected her forces "That... presence... in my head... it was you, wasn't it?" she asked. Ehphisillia placed her index finger on Bethal's lips, indicating her to be quiet.

"Yes... yes it was me - but it was not my wish to make it happen... like that. It is better not to talk about that now, however." she replied in the same calm, soothing voice.

"It was Kyrana who... wanted you to do this, wasn't it?" Bethal insisted. "But why?"

Ehphisillia moved her hand up Bethal's face and started caressing her hair, a sad look on her face. "Now is not the time, dear. We can be glad you're awake..." she stopped abruptly, hesitating for a moment, then continued with an almost unnatural stress "... and well."

崇高滑稽
·

#53 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:14 PM

"Well..?" Bethal faltered, and then suddenly, she almost shot out of bed, despite her body's excruciating protests. "Well?! What of Elandir and Gelrandir? Are they well? I must see them!"

"Shhh..." Ehphisillia pressed her down on the bed once again. "Yes, they are well too... as well as can be expected."

"What's going to happen to us?"

"We are going to aid you in your quest," Ehphisillia smiled, surprisingly gently. "Now rest. You still need to regain your strength after the draining."

Bethal opened her mouth to speak, but instead, she found a cooling liquid carefully tipped down her throat. The room almost immediately began to haze. The last thing she saw was Ehphisillia's concerned face. Her last thought was about where Ehphisillia's loyalty lay.

Ehphisillia watched carefully as Bethal sunk into sleep. Almost immediately, her eyes started flickering as she went into an accelerated stage of REM. Her dreams would be crucial, that night. But she did remember for a second that final look upon the human's face... and the thought behind it.
Where do my loyalties lie? She asked herself dreamily. Then a thought hit her, and her memories opened up again.
No loyalty except to myself. And I will not rest until Veltek dies.

#54 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:33 AM

Like looming shadows the memories came back to her... What Veltek had done back then... It had been between her and him that night. And it still was. Veltek would have to pay for his crime and the last word in this affair will be mine.
Her thoughts drifted off, all-too-well known despair once again taking an icy grip on her. Is this the price?, she asked herself, Am I doomed to fail at everything I start? Nothing, but absolutely nothing in her life had developed to her favour ever since then. The curse Veltek's crime had been for her life had destroyed everything.
She remembered her time as a priestess... but that was over, and Veltek was to blame. Her goddess had abandoned her. Her relationship with Ziirahasi, a mere shadow of what it had been before. Of course, he still had the same feelings for her, but she couldn't... she just couldn't answer them anymore. As if something deep inside her had died and never grown back.
Like a stab of agony the most painful of her failures burned its way into her mind.
It had been back then... after everything else in her life had failed and vanished in the mist of pain and depression, that she had made her decision. The only logical decision, it seemed, at the time. She had set out for revenge and become the first of her kind. She was the painted girl.
She remembered her long journey, the exhaustion... the fighting. She had been strong at that time, much stronger than now. And yet still, she had failed. And for what? To come back, after all these months, and find that obnoxious brat Kyrana had taken her place? And once again the same conclusion struck her heart like an arrow... My life has been in vain...

She could not even blame Kyrana. Who would have guessed she would return... and alive?
Could this girl... could Bethal end the everlasting curse? At first she did not think the weak.... human girl could be anything... But there was something about her... something not quite definable. She had felt it before, but it had been so much stronger.... inside her.... something fascinating about that human, and instinctively a surprising realization hit her, like a reflection of a long forgotten past. Suddenly everything was clear. Almost perplexed by the simplicity she tried to find the words to describe... That's what it is! ... I ... I actually care for her. She knew something had changed, that Bethal was different to her.
Different than any other of those who had come and passed with time.

Edited by Erephine, 31 October 2005 - 01:44 PM.

崇高滑稽
·

#55 MantraSong

MantraSong

• 217 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:43 AM

Bethal was standing at the door to Gelrandir?s cottage, in the forest. She frowned, and touched her necklace, not sure if she was dreaming, or if she had been brought there to talk. After a moment she shrugged. If it was a dream, then it didn?t matter, but if they were linked, she wanted to talk to him, find out what was going on. Cautiously she opened the door, peering inside to ensure Veltek wasn?t within. Gelrandir was sitting on a chair facing the door, his head in his hands. There was something?different about him, beaten, almost, hopeless. He looked up as she entered. ?Bethal?Bethal, what are you doing here? Why are you here? It?s not safe for you here!? His voice got louder, progressing to a shout. ?Do you know what you are risking? Do you know what would happen to you if he comes while you are here? Go back to your precious Drune, your helpless little elf-friend. Leave, now, before HE gets back!?? Suddenly his voice grew quiet, almost inaudible. ?...before he gets back.? He slumped down, apparently ignoring her.

She stared at him, speechless, for a long moment, stunned at the change in him; her soul bond with him allowing her to feel the waves of despair rolling over him, and she pitied him, but as she looked at him, she felt her anger stirring. ?Oh, I see how it is,? she found herself saying caustically. ?Its fine to send *me* all alone into danger, with an ensorcelled elf, but as soon as *you* are threatened??Oh, it?s not safe,? you say! Then, in a sudden fit of remorse, you tell me to give up. Well I *can?t*, remember? You bound me, mind and soul, to you. I can no more ?give up? than I can choose to stop breathing! As for risks, I know what they are, and at this point I honestly don?t give a damn. I want answers, and you are going to give them to me.?

Gelrandir looked up at her, and started shaking his head, not in denial but in admiration. ?I knew I had chosen well in you,? he said. ?You have spirit, the will to keep going, even when things seem hopeless. You are going to need that, in this quest. Very well, ask your questions, and I will answer as well as I can.?

?You will answer all of them? Completely?? she asked skeptically.

?As completely as I am able to, yes,? he answered.

Bethal smiled, ?Alright Gelrandir, tell me who, or what, is the Painted One?"

#56 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:32 PM

[Whoah... sorry, it's so long... just... inspiration, I guess.]

Gelrandir seemed to gape at her for a while, but quickly shut his mouth when she glared at him. Uncertainty washed over him, and then finally, he spoke.

"Have you spoken to Ehphisillia?" he asked quietly.

"No. I assume they sent me here to talk to you. So I want answers."

He looked at her again, but this time a faint note of respect shone in his eyes, and she knew it was the soul bond that allowed her to see it. "Very well. But it isn't safe here... it is a long tale."

"I don't know why the Drune have sent me here, but I believe that they think it's safe," Bethal shrugged.

Gelrandir sighed, and made to go out the door as if to check to see if the portal that had taken her here was still open, yet when he got to the doorway, he was repelled. Again, he tried, and then his eyes widened, and unbidden, a small chuckle arose in his throat.

"Well, it appears you're correct, Bethal. The Drune have set one of the most powerful protection spells upon this house... it seems that it won't fail until you know everything."

"Good," Bethal sat down on the bed that she'd apparently spent much time in. "Fine then. Clue me in, oh wise one."

He glared at her sarcasm, but relaxed slightly. He no longer had to play the role he'd assigned himself. Walking back to the armchair with smooth steps, he sat, and sighed. Before she could complain, he started his tale.

"A long time ago, the Drune were humans."

Bethal gaped. "But... but... someone... I remember someone saying that they hated humans!"

Gelrandir waved her implied question away, and continued. "They were a magnificent race. While they were in power, peace prospered. They became known as the Peacemakers, and they relished in it. The ruler was always female, but her councillors too had a say. It was almost like a democracy. They were wise, caring, and wonderful..."

"Let me guess," Bethal asked sarcastically. "Disaster struck?"

"Yes. Not only were they greatly skilled, but they also possessed great magic, unlike what Faerun has ever seen. But they always learnt balance. Never to unleash all of the energy within, or it would become far too powerful. One mage, didn't listen."

"Let me guess," Bethal repeated. "Veltek?"

"No, actually. Ehphisillia."

"Ehphisillia?"

"Yes, but she can hardly be blamed. She was Queen at the time, and Veltek was her husband. They loved each other so much, it was almost painful. But tragedy struck, as it always does. Invading armies came... armies that none seemed to be able to defeat. They ravaged the lands... and then came to the Kingdom, ransacking and killilng. Finally, they reached the cities, and the Drune were massacred. Locked insidee the palace, Ehphisillia wept. She knew that she could stop this, but the Councillors and Veltek wouldn't let her. They were too afraid of what would happen. The Drune were proud and self-sacrificing. They believed it would be better to die than unleash the destructive magic within, which had the possibility of disaster."

"She..."

"Yes, she did. She didn't listen. She locked herself in the highest tower, and began to work her magic. Long did she work, and Veltek and the Councillors pounded themselves against the magicked door to no avail. Finally, as the last words were spoken, Veltek broke down the door and ran to her.

She was shrunken by the powers of magic within her, and as she turned to him, her eyes had sunk in her sockets, and seemed to be dead. The last word left her mouth, and an unimaginable power rocked their land. The invaders were all instantly obliterated, but the side effects kept going. It was the largest earthquake on their land ever recorded."

Bethal was enraptured. "What happened?"

"Ehphisillia collapsed, and Veltek rushed to her. But as soon as he touched her, the evil magic that was so concentrated within her by the power of the spell jumped to him. To this day, we don't know what it did, but it twisted his soul inside. He still loves her now, but she cannot love him back."

"What did the magic do?"

"As I said, it twisted him. Now he wields unimaginable power. The power corrupted him. He became afflicted with thoughts of the invaders who had come, and began to hate the Drune. He even hates Ehphisillia in his own way, although he's still bound by his love. He looked at the destruction her spell had wrought, and even though it saved the lives of everyone, he saw all those it had killed. So he cursed them all."

"What was the curse."

"Immortality," he whispered.

"Is that all?" she demanded.

"It's worse than you think," Gelrandir stared at her calmly. "Our spirit is mortal, so inside, it screams for rest. And it's laden with the guilt of a thousand lifetimes. It is the worst curse than Veltek could have inflicted upon us. We cannot die. We cannot be killed... except by Veltek. And none of us want to die that way. He... is cruel, to say the least."

Bethal shuddered. "Oh... I... I see. But how does the Painted One fit in with all of this?"

"Veltek took all of the evil magic from Ehphisillia, leaving her with only a force of good. It grew a life of its own, just as the magic controlling Veltek did. When Ehphisillia failed to destroy Veltek, and thus lift the curse, it decided upon another vessel. You are one of hundreds of Painted Ones across the eons and realms."

"Uh... wow..." Bethal blinked rapidly, her mind reeling from all of the overwhelming information. "So... uh... how do I defeat him?"

Gelrandir smiled sadly. "You must figure that out. Ironically enough, though, Veltek left us a clue before he left to wreak destruction on various planes. You must..."

"Hang on," Bethal frowned. "How do you know so much about this?"

Gelrandir smiled sadly again. "I was Ehphisillia's Court Bard. Veltek had long disliked me, ever since he caught me flirting with her a long time ago. When he became twisted, he deliberately cursed me along with the rest of them."

Bethal was about to ask him how to defeat Veltek again, when the entire house shook. When they looked to the door, Veltek stood outside, wreathed dark magicks, and looking very, very, angry.

Edited by Shadowhawke, 17 February 2005 - 11:46 PM.

#57 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:15 PM

[Ehm... this turned out slightly longer than planned. Sorry.]

The protective magic shook under the dark assault, tearing at the house, threatening to give way to Veltek?s dark forces.

Gelrandir muttered a curse under his breath, backing away several steps.

"The spells won't hold against his attack for long." he exclaimed "You've got to return at once!"

"And leave you here?" Bethal asked incredulously "You know perfectly well I can't do that, remember?!"

Gelrandir hung his head. "You're right of course." he quietly said, barely audible with all the noise.

They both jumped as a shimmering spark appeared in the air, growing larger and larger until it formed a portal. It took her a moment to identify the figure stepping out of the blinding light. Bethal gasped when she saw who it was... It was Ehphisillia. Slowly she turned to face the door, and walked towards it in a surreal, dreamy way. There was no expression on her face.

As she had almost reached the door, the portal flared in light again and Ziirahasi jumped out of it breathlessly.

"Ehphisillia!" he cried and helplessly looked at Gelrandir and Bethal standing petrified in confusion and surprise. "Don't let her-"

He shook his arms in a helpless gesture and ran towards her, holding her back from reaching the door.

"You cannot do that!" he exclaimed angrily.

"I know what needs to be done, and you will not stop me from doing the right thing." Ehphisillia replied in a cold, quiet voice which was surprisingly clear, even over the noise from outside. "Not anymore."

"Don't." Ziirahasi replied, his voice and glance now definately pleading.

"Return while you can, fool." she hissed and tried to break free, but he was stronger.

"I will not... let you commit this folly." he said calmly but determinedly

"Have it your way." Ehphisillia replied in an almost sad voice.

In a quick movement she wrenched away from him, and shimmering sparks flew as Ziirahasi was thrown against the wooden wall, hitting his head and falling down on the floor unconscious. She turned and looked at Bethal for a second. Nodding determinedly she turned again, her hand reaching out for the handle of the door. Time seemed to crawl as she opened the door. Slowly, inch by inch the door creaked open, breaking the protective spells. Neither Bethal nor Gelrandir even attempted to stop her. Furious laughter could be heard outside, and she stopped in the door frame, mere steps in front of Veltek. Despite her fear, Bethal had moved closer, watching the scene. If she was to die, then she at least wanted to know why. The laughter came to an abrupt end.

Veltek was staring at Ehphisillia with a bewildered look on his face. Suddenly he started laughing again, a maniacal, somewhat hysterical laughter. As he spoke Bethal felt the strange link to Ehphisillia in her head again, this time being instantly able to understand the spoken words.

"Don't play tricks on me Kyrana." Veltek finally hissed in a voice of pure acid. "You cannot fool me. Why do you even bother after... what happened last time?"

"How many times do I have to tell you I?m not Kyrana." Ehphisillia said quietly. "Yes, it was me. And I am as real as you are."

She waved her hand dismissingly, and a small shimmer of yellow light grew around her. Bethal couldn't see anything else happening, but Velteks eyes narrowed and then widened in surprise.

"What.." he started, and when he continued he almost screamed "This.... this isn't possible! How can you face me?"

"Enough of the games. We know what you're here for." she replied coolly.

"You know this is between you and me" she continued "and I will not let you harm her."

Bethal gasped.

Velteks face twisted in rage. "How... why... no; this can?t be!"

Ehphisillia nodded. "Oh yes... I can feel something towards her."

Things were moving too fast for Bethal, she was completely lost just about what they were even talking about. Veltek gasped at the words, seemingly incredulous to believe what she just said.

He gave Bethal a piercing look, and pain shot through her head. With an inhuman cry of rage he looked back at Ehphisillia, and with his hands raised he slowly approached her.

"You know you cannot stop me." he taunted

"I know." she replied bare of any emotion and readied herself for the fight.

Edited by Erephine, 31 October 2005 - 01:45 PM.

崇高滑稽
·

#58 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:15 PM

Veltek took a few steps closer to Ehphisillia, his hands raised. The eerie yellow light still surrounded the shape of Ehphisillia, as she stood, un-flinching, ready to face him, her golden eyes fixed upon the Drow.

Bethal watched in silence. She could hear her heart pounding. It felt as though it was lodged in her throat.

Veltek reached out a hand, and took one last step forward. As he did so, the light surrounding Ehphisillia intensified, burning like fire around her seemingly frail, slim form. Veltek raised his hands, his eyes burning with fury, and grasped Ehphisillia?s shoulder, pulling her towards him.

Everything stopped.

All there was ? all that existed to Bethal was the beautiful, shimmering ball of gold, two forms just recognisable in its core as those of Veltek and Ehphisillia, Ehphisillia hanging limp, as if dead, in Veltek?s arms.

Then she heard the familiar, silken voice inside her head. It sounded more haunted and hollow then it had done before, but it was unmistakably Ehphisillia.

?Bethal? I told you I could not destroy him. But this way? this way will weaken him. You know now? you know that when I tried? tried to save my people? it doesn?t matter. Veltek and I, we are? are connected. Now we are united ? you shall not see me again. Not the true me. Do not give up hope ? things are better this way. Now you can kill Veltek.?

The voice faded until it seemed to be just a distant memory?

And Bethal felt herself falling? falling into the darkness? until that sublime ball of gold light was no more then a speck, as distant and wonderful as a star in the night sky.

Edited by Hishi, 04 March 2005 - 02:18 PM.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#59 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 09:11 AM

If Bethal had the time, she might have been worried whether her continual encounters with unconsciousness would cause permanent brain damage.

All she was aware of was a thudding pain in the head, and cold. After a few painful minutes, she attempted movement - a sorry move which sent a far sharper shock of pain through her limbs. She passed out again.

A voice, calling her name... Again, the voice - a slap brought her senses into sharp focus. Veltek stood above her, leering. Another slap brought bitter rage to the top of her mind. She growled and tried to shake herself to her feet. To her surprise, the drow allowed her to stand, stumbling and spluttering.

"So, she felt something for you," Veltek jeered. "As if that will help you now. You pose no threat to me, so your death will be purely recreational."

Bethal lunged for Veltek, bringing her full weight into a charge - which he deftly sidestepped, kicking her to the floor as she passed him. The wind left Bethal's lungs and dark hands seized her wrists. He pressed her on the floor, preventing her from moving. She could feel his breath on her neck.

While Bethal was trapped under Veltek, struggling futilely, the drow ponderously pulled a delicate, sharp and twisted object from an inner pocket. It glinted in the candlelight. He examined her straining neck and shoulders carefully, before - so slowly - inserting the evil instrument into a pressure point. Bethal's world swam with darkness visible; she wretched and writhed; she groaned pitifully.

Hearing this, Veltek flinched. He seemed disorientated for a few seconds, then shrugged it off and pushed his torture tool deeper into his victim's flesh. Bethal clutched a deep breath and screamed so hard that the throbbing of her throat only added to her agony. This caused a physical reaction from Veltek, who yanked the spike out and leapt up off her, wide eyed and quivering.

"What are you doing to me?" he screeched. She, of course, was in no position to answer. Her body was desperately trying to breath, and searching for some way to cope with the pain. He kicked her viciously, but seeing her redoubled pain only caused his feet to tremble and a sob to escape his lips.

"Kyrana, stop your tricks!" he cried to his surroundings in general. He regarded Bethal with suspicion and hate. No, not hate... he could not feel hate for her. Lying there, helpless and moaning, struggling to breath, it was almost as if he felt... pity. What would he do with her now?

#60 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:44 PM

Pain swept over her in waves as she curled around the kick he had placed at her side. Tears swam down her face as she felt a thin stream of blood trickle its way down her neck. Her throat seemed to have been ripped apart by her screams.

As her hazy vision swirled, allowing her to dimly see Veltek backing away from her, a thought hit her.

If he's finding it so hard to hurt me, what's he done to Gelrandir?

Somehow, she managed to scramble upwards, standing shakily. He started for her again, and she doubled over as he threw a fist into her midriff. She felt herself sway, but grimly kept herself upright again. As she did, she steeled herself, and looked into his eyes.

And promptly got a shock.

Black and red swirled with glittering gold, the same colour of the magical ball that had appeared to have swallowed up Ehphisillia. And she realized now what she had to do.

"Ehphisillia," she murmured, wonderingly. Despite the pain her body was in, she reached out to stroke his cheek...

A flash. And then she could almost hear Ehphisillia whispering in her mind.

"Bethal! We are connected to you, now. By your closeness... your love for Elandir."

"WHAT?!" Bethal tried to scream, but it appeared that Ephisillia couldn't hear her.

"The elf. That is where I got my power from. He is safe, rest assured, but I drew on his aura and yours to reawake the spirit inside. You are no longer the Painted One, but I charge you with our death. You are the only one who can do so now. He cannot kill you."

"But... how...?"

This time, it appeared, she could. "Follow your heart. It has always been our strength."

"Ours?"

"Ours...

There was almost an audible crack as Veltek recoiled from her, breaking the tenous connection, and tripping over the prone form of Gelrandir on the floor. A quick look soon ascertained that he was still breathing. Most likely unconscious. She couldn't stop herself from smiling.

Let someone else try it for a change.

Veltek landed sprawling on Gelrandir's armchair, fear evident now in his swirling eyes. She moved slowly towards him, each step growing with her confidence. Follow your heart. As cliched as that sounded she reckoned she could do it.

As she came closer, however, she felt fear assault her. What if she couldn't? She looked to Veltek's eyes, and saw the golden swirls dimming. Panicking, she touched him again, and the golden swirls enflamed. Veltek cowered.
How ironic.

Suddenly, he knocked her over before she could move, and fled towards the door. It was now her turn to trip over Gelrandir, and when she got up, Veltek was gone.
But there was someone else at the door.

Elandir looked at her coldly, fully healed, but she sensed a glimmer of understanding in his eyes.

"Come, you've been appointed his executioner. I must aid and help you."

"Elandir..."

"They've explained everything. We were both pawns. I misunderstood. Now let's go."

Stung by his bussinesslike tone, and yet hopeful at that glimmer, she staggered to her feet and followed, leaving a trail of blood behind her.

Edited by Shadowhawke, 20 March 2005 - 02:48 PM.