206 replies to this topic

#161 Neane

Neane
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

In order to keep this Thread alive:

Is it done yet?
Need help in any way?

I will reach out for help when I need it. First I need to finish my creative part of the project. I'm currently in the tail end of my degree program and I've actually taken some classes that would help in this project including a project management class. And I am now in a software development class. Both of these have given me some valuable skills that I can apply to the Valen Expansion. One of the big pitfalls in software development is something known as "feature creep", which basically means that the developers keep adding stuff into the project because they think it would be cool and this causes delays. The mitigation for this problem includes "setting boundaries", which specifies what the product will not do. In retrospect, I should have done this from the project outset and had a defined project that was small, develop and produce it, then add features on in subsequent versions. Instead I took the opposite approach and built up a massive feature list before the production. I've made every mistake in project planning and management possible. But at least I know where I went wrong and can now work to fix it.

I think that the first thing I will do once I complete this class is create a project management/software development plan for Valen Expansion and post it to the board for other developers to use as a template. Others may find it useful, assuming such a product has not already been released somewhere else on the board.

Excellent plan, and may you excel in your degree. ( Still in middle of mine.)

One thing I have noticed with BG modders is that they all keep all their stuff to theirselves. And that is why some great mods never get done if the author stops working on it. That is what Fallout Modders do, they always post everything they have done on at least 4 different websites so that others can use as a template. The Mirira Mod is now dead but becuase the modder posted everything on the Fallout Modding Wiki the work is being used as a template by anyone with a simple understanding how modding works. But yes, "feature creep" is a huge problem, and the best way to deal with that is to get the first verison done and then add cool features once everything is done in another verison.
Do not worry, BG still has a huge fanbase, and people will still love to play the Valen mod.
Mistakes are not mistakes if we learn from them.
Keep up the Great Work! :cheers:

#162 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

Is it done yet?
Need help in any way?

I will reach out for help when I need it. First I need to finish my creative part of the project. I'm currently in the tail end of my degree program and I've actually taken some classes that would help in this project including a project management class. And I am now in a software development class. Both of these have given me some valuable skills that I can apply to the Valen Expansion. One of the big pitfalls in software development is something known as "feature creep", which basically means that the developers keep adding stuff into the project because they think it would be cool and this causes delays. The mitigation for this problem includes "setting boundaries", which specifies what the product will not do. In retrospect, I should have done this from the project outset and had a defined project that was small, develop and produce it, then add features on in subsequent versions. Instead I took the opposite approach and built up a massive feature list before the production. I've made every mistake in project planning and management possible. But at least I know where I went wrong and can now work to fix it.

I think that the first thing I will do once I complete this class is create a project management/software development plan for Valen Expansion and post it to the board for other developers to use as a template. Others may find it useful, assuming such a product has not already been released somewhere else on the board.

One thing I have noticed with BG modders is that they all keep all their stuff to theirselves. And that is why some great mods never get done if the author stops working on it. That is what Fallout Modders do, they always post everything they have done on at least 4 different websites so that others can use as a template. The Mirira Mod is now dead but becuase the modder posted everything on the Fallout Modding Wiki the work is being used as a template by anyone with a simple understanding how modding works. But yes, "feature creep" is a huge problem, and the best way to deal with that is to get the first verison done and then add cool features once everything is done in another verison.
Do not worry, BG still has a huge fanbase, and people will still love to play the Valen mod.

When I joined the board, it was stated that it was poor developer etiquette to say "I've written this mod, would someone please code it for me?". I agree with this sentiment, so I won't do this. Let's face it, writing is fun and coding can be tedious. It isn't fair to just offload the coding to someone else without trying to take a stab at it. Skilled coders would like to do their own creative stuff. I think that as developers we should learn to code skillfully to free us up to work on the creative element rather than dump it on those who put in the time and headaches of learning this skill. As it stands now, the Valen Expansion is a pile of disjointed dialog connected by flowcharts and developer notes. If I just dumped it on someone and said "finish this", it would make no sense anyway. What I need to do, is apply project management principles to the Valen Expansion, which is to divide the work up into logical stages, define the deliverables for each stage, set a schedule of tasks, then start going through them. Until I do this, no amount of help from anyone else will work. I need to be able to lead my own efforts before I can lead anyone else who is kind enough to offer their time to help me.

Mod in Progress: Valen Expansion

#163 Neane

Neane
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

Is it done yet?
Need help in any way?

When I joined the board, it was stated that it was poor developer etiquette to say "I've written this mod, would someone please code it for me?". I agree with this sentiment, so I won't do this. Let's face it, writing is fun and coding can be tedious. It isn't fair to just offload the coding to someone else without trying to take a stab at it. Skilled coders would like to do their own creative stuff. I think that as developers we should learn to code skillfully to free us up to work on the creative element rather than dump it on those who put in the time and headaches of learning this skill. As it stands now, the Valen Expansion is a pile of disjointed dialog connected by flowcharts and developer notes. If I just dumped it on someone and said "finish this", it would make no sense anyway. What I need to do, is apply project management principles to the Valen Expansion, which is to divide the work up into logical stages, define the deliverables for each stage, set a schedule of tasks, then start going through them. Until I do this, no amount of help from anyone else will work. I need to be able to lead my own efforts before I can lead anyone else who is kind enough to offer their time to help me.

Then you are a person that sticks to your principles even during times of trouble. Excellent! :cheers:
Keep up the great work and have an excellent week! :cheers:

#164 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

How is it going? I'm waiting for something thrilling to be released. I'm more to writing mods than play the game, these days, but if something like new Vales in released, I would surely give it a try.

:cheers:

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 30 May 2011 - 02:12 AM.

#165 kamuizin

kamuizin
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

Well, hello there, i really like valen mod, i tried it sometimes, and with the experience i have obtained i would like to share some ideas, hoverer im not a coder, neither any good in writing programs, so i just want to give hints from my perspective, is that acceptable?

Even without answer yet, i'm here more to ask than suggest, can u do in your expansion a fix on the evil priests on the game, cos... damnit it's unbeliave that every evil priest atack the party because a vampire is in it... damn if the priest is not from good alignment WHY THEY WOULD CARE ABOUT VALEN!!! uff, put that out, i was in need of that... :)!

Edited by kamuizin, 11 November 2011 - 10:03 AM.

#166 -Guest _sergio-

-Guest _sergio-

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Is this mod completely dead :(?

#167 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

The category for this mod:

Back Burner

Burning backs since 2011! Category for all abandoned, dead or forever unfinished projects.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#168 -Guest_Sergio-

-Guest_Sergio-

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:03 AM

Back Burner

Burning backs since 2011! Category for all abandoned, dead or forever unfinished projects.

thanks. So it is really dead.
Have a nice day sir

#169 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Back Burner

thanks. So it is really dead.
Have a nice day sir

No problem, wish I had better news.

This was one I wanted to see back in the day.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#170 -Atian-

-Atian-

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

I'm still hopeful until I hear Thorium say otherwise. Please talk to us oh ye wise Dragon.

#171 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Life has kept me pretty busy the past couple of years. College and work killed off most of my leisure time. I have my bachelor's now, and hopefully I can dust off my work and make some progress before I start my graduate degree.

#172 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Life has kept me pretty busy the past couple of years. College and work killed off most of my leisure time. I have my bachelor's now, and hopefully I can dust off my work and make some progress before I start my graduate degree.

and so.... any progress?

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#173 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

and so.... any progress?

Very little, I'm afraid. I will have to review much of the coding tutorials now that so much time has passed. Ah, life.

#174 -Adanhedel-

-Adanhedel-

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:43 AM

and so.... any progress?

Very little, I'm afraid. I will have to review much of the coding tutorials now that so much time has passed. Ah, life.

Hey, Adanhedel again, 1 year later!

<mod snip> That would be the right moment to try it with the Valen romance enabled :-)

Could we hope that it become one day (soon?) reality?

Good luck in everything and have a merry christmas & Happy new year

Edited by Kaeloree, 26 November 2013 - 02:19 AM.
Removed illegal references

#175 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

Almost ten years since starting this project!

TEN YEARS!

How utterly depressing...

But the good news is, I have recovered most of my notes and I still want to finish this.

Sigh... God only knows when.

#176 -Milouztovitch-

-Milouztovitch-

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Once finished, i'll play your mod with pleasure, and I'm sure i'm not the only one.

And don't hesitate to take your time. I prefere to wait a long time and play a good mod than having now a sloppy mod.

I'm cheering on you!

#177 -Adanhedel-

-Adanhedel-

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

Yes, me too! I check frequently if you're still alive, and will keep you motivate!

and again, yes too, take your time. We are patient (sure you already knew it)

To next time!

#178 -Zigg-

-Zigg-

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:11 PM

This is one mod a lot of people really wish was completed.

Are you still with us ?

#179 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

I am still here. I don't like the feeling of disappointing people and i really want to get this done. I'll have quite a bit to relearn, but hopefully I can get back in the grove.

#180 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

Then let me tell you; I'll be super disappointed if you haven't finished this mod by the end of the year! :)