21 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:54 AM

Yay! Its... COMPETITION TIME!!!

Basically, I am looking for a particular kind of spell-effect animation for use in the Chrysta mod. However, rather than simply picking from one of the many already in the game I thought I would give all you creative types out there a chance to show off your skills and have a bit of fun in the process by running a COMPETITION to find the best custom effect.

The remit for the animation description is pretty broad - I am looking for a snazzy effect that would be appropriate for a humanoid "metamorphosis" - think of a humanoid forming a chrysalis and then emerging from it, or "shedding an old skin to reveal a new one" like a humanoid snake, and you get the basic idea. Then think "impressive light effect" to go along with it, and voila! :thumb:

Oh, and don't ask for any more specifics on what the effect will be used for... any more detail than I have given and we are into the realm of naughty spoilerisation, which is not like me at all :P

Rules are as follows:
  • Entries can be either completely custom-designed from scratch, or be novel customisations/combinations of existing in-game effects. Imagination will be rewarded :) .
  • All necessary files to display the animation in-game, plus instructions on what I need to do to show them (I am a technical doofus, remember!) should be sent to me at peter.wearne@btopenworld.com
  • Maximum of 3 entries per person
  • A screenshot (or other representative image, e.g. an animated .gif) of your entry must be posted on this thread . This is to ensure that I don't get too many entries with similar effects, and to everyone an idea of the level of competition you face to spur you on to even greater efforts. :D
  • Make sure when you email your entry to me you mention your Forgotten Wars user name, otherwise I won't know who you are!
  • Plenty of time to work - deadline for receipt of last entry is 30th June 2005.
  • The competition will be judged by... me! :) Judge's decision will be final. Any attempts at bribery or coercion will be in vain, but may result in bonus prizes for particularly imaginative or creative attempts ;)
And where would any self-respecting competition be without... PRIZES! Posted Image
  • The winner, as well as having their animation spell effect included in the Chrysta mod, will have one of the Chrysta NPCs named in their honour (provided the name is not too silly!).
  • The top three entries (including the winner) will be posted a hard copy of the Chrysta mod on CD format when she is finally released, and will each receive a book/game token (£10 for the winner, £5 for runners-up).
So please feel free to make any enquiries regarding competition rules etc. on this thread... and I look forward to seeing the first few screenshots :thumb:

Edited by Sir Kalthorine, 12 April 2005 - 06:12 AM.

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#2 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:57 AM

Should be interesting to see what turns up. BW are the market leaders in this I believe.

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#3 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:17 AM

Should be interesting to see what turns up.  BW are the market leaders in this I believe.

View Post

Ah... good idea! :thumb:

<runs off to place a link on the BW forums...>

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

#4 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:00 AM

Hmmmm..... tempting. :)

崇高滑稽
·

#5 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:30 AM

By the way, the following is not what I had in mind: ;)

Posted Image

Edited by Sir Kalthorine, 13 April 2005 - 05:32 AM.

#6 afireinside

afireinside
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:02 AM

Sounds good. Ill give it a go ;)

Casey :thumb:
I'M NINJA Posted Image you can't see me

#7 arconian

arconian
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:50 PM

Those prizes your offering are very tempting indeed but, since I don't know jack about making custom images -_- , I'll just wish the ones who'll be entering the contest the best of luck. Yay for you! :thumb:

--Arcon

#8 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:25 AM

Still a couple of months 'til the deadline, but I was wondering if anyone else was considering entering? Just so I know if it is worth expanding the prize fund at all if there are a lot of entrants. :D

#9 Togashi Renshi

Togashi Renshi

Fhtagn!

• 83 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:39 AM

Durn...why is it that the Mighty Modding Overlords can't create contests for people who have the modding skillz of [insert incompetent modder noun here]? Dagnabbit! Oh well, this should be cool.

#10 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:07 PM

I know... not quite what you had in mind, but nonetheless!

[Link won't come back, sorry.]

e-mail sent out to Sir K.

Edited by Erephine, 24 October 2005 - 08:21 AM.

崇高滑稽
·

#11 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:41 AM

Wow! That is really good work Lightspeed, and perfectly in line with what I had in mind - and I am flattered that you clearly put so much effort into it :thumb:

#12 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:05 AM

Did you get the mail, then?

崇高滑稽
·

#13 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:36 AM

Did you get the mail, then?

View Post

Yup... haven't managed to install it and check it yet (been away from home PC for a few days), but it looks great :)

#14 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:11 AM

Just a bump and a reminder that there are only three weeks left until the competition closing date! :)

#15 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:27 AM

I'll see if I can finish my second entry before then. :)

崇高滑稽
·

#16 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:56 AM

I'll see if I can finish my second entry before then.  :)

View Post

Yay! :w00t:

#17 xaos_bob

xaos_bob
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:32 PM

Ran across this thread last night, but I didn't want to say anything until I knew if I would be able to participate. Well, participate I may, and participate I have. Now, if you will allow, I would like to formally enter.

However, I seem to be having issues with viewing Lightspeed's entry, and attaching my own gif. Any ideas? I've tried both Explorer and Firefox, and neither allows either.

Heh.

Edited by xaos_bob, 13 June 2005 - 09:39 PM.

#18 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:40 PM

We're having problems attaching files to the forum atm. Soon to be rectified.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#19 xaos_bob

xaos_bob
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

Holy Big Brother, Batman! Way to stay atop the posts, hlid.

And, thanks for the word. ;)

#20 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:59 PM

Holy Big Brother, Batman! Way to stay atop the posts, hlid.

And, thanks for the word. ;)

View Post

Heh, timing is everything. ;)

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.