• 5983 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:20 AM

Beregost Crash Fixer
Copyright © 2008-2010 Raphael Wong
------------------------------------
Requirements
Java Runtime Environment 1.6 or higher

Usage
Due to an as yet unidentified problem, leaving or entering Beregost can corrupt Baldur's Gate saved game file, resulting in a crash when you try to load them.
This program does two things to try and fix the saved game (supports BG1, BG:TotSC, BG1TuTu, EasyTutu, and BGT-WeiDU):
- Characteristic Beregost area corruptions are repaired by zero-ing the corrupted data fields.
- The saved game is reconstructed, which can also fix the saved game.

Instructions:
1. Download and install Java Runtime Environment version 6.0 from http://java.sun.com/...loads/index.jsp
If you already use JRE, I recommend uninstalling previous versions first.
2. Unzip BeregostCrashFixer.zip to any directory.
3. Go to the directory you extracted the .zip file to. Double-click on BeregostCrashFixer.jar
4. Click the '...' button, then navigate to find your corrupt BALDUR.SAV file (typically <Baldur's Gate installation directory>\save\<saved game name>\BALDUR.SAV)
5. If there are no errors, you should see 'Loaded file: <your file>' in the text area, and the 'Process' button at the bottom of the program will be enabled
6. Click the 'Process' button and wait. The text area will inform you of scanning the Beregost area file and if any errors are present, else it will output 'No errors found.'
7. When the status bar above the text area shows the word 'Done.', BALDUR.SAV has been patched (or re-packaged if there were no problems found) and you are ready to try the saved game. Even if no errors are found, your saved game may still be fixed, so try it anyway
8. A backup is made in the same directory as the input BALDUR.SAV, called BALDUR.BAK.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 1.9 - added Polish translation (by Eryks)
Version 1.8 - added Castilian translation (by Ancalagon el Negro - Clan REO)
Version 1.7 - added German translation (by WangXu)
Version 1.6 - added French translation (by Isaya)
Version 1.5 - added Simplified Chinese translation (by Mephisto Satan Devil)
Version 1.4 - internationalised text
- added mnemonics and accelerators
- added Russian translation (by Vit MG)
Version 1.3 - corrected output of BALDUR.BAK
- now reconstructs BALDUR.SAV
- prompt before overwriting an already existing backup
Version 1.2 - fixed exception with directories containing no-extension files
Version 1.1 - supports SAV files
- implemented Swing GUI
Version 1.0 - first release
- supports extracted ARE files only
- command-line only
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

Download

Edited by Ascension64, 18 July 2010 - 05:00 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#2 Krabator

Krabator
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:33 AM

I have the Crash problem with my French Game.

Is there a difference between FR and UK save game structure ?

The program don't fix my save :-/

#3 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:09 PM

No. Check your PM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#4 -QNine-

-QNine-

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

Download Link: http://members.iinet...tCrashFixer.zip

Beregost Crash Fixer
Copyright © 2007 Raphael Wong
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Requirements: Java Runtime Environment 1.6 or higher

Usage: Fixes corrupted Baldur's Gate save game files that do not load, due to
an as yet unidentified problem that occurs when leaving or entering Beregost

Instructions: Run the program for instructions on how it is used.
If double clicking does not work, run the program using "jar -jar BeregostCrashFixer.jar"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 1.1 - supports SAV files
- implemented Swing GUI
Version 1.0 - first release
- supports extracted ARE files only
- command-line only
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

Hey Ascension,

I'm wanting to use this, as my save is corrupted, but I don't understand the instructions. Can you do a step by step walkthrough for newbies that don't know much about BG modding? I read the readme, but still have no idea how to actually use this.

Just in case you need to know I'm using EasyTutu, BG1 NPC Pack, BG Fixpack and SCS.

#5 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:33 AM

Hi QNine,

You don't actually need to know anything about BG modding to use this program, but here are the instructions in a more complete form:
  • Download Java Runtime Environment v6.0 from <a href="http://java.sun.com/...oads/index.jsp" target="_blank">http://java.sun.com/.../index.jsp</a>.
  • Install Java Runtime Envirionment v6.0. If you already use JRE, I recommend uninstalling previous versions first.
  • Download BeregostCrashFixer.zip (link above), then unzip BeregostCrashFixer.zip anywhere at all.
  • Go to the directory you extracted the ZIP to and double-click on BeregostCrashFixer.jar
  • Click the button '...', then navigate to find your corrupt BALDUR.SAV file (typically <Baldur's Gate installation directory>\save\<save game name>\BALDUR.SAV)
  • If there are no errors, you should see 'Loaded file:<your file>' in the text area, and the 'Process' button at the bottom of the program will be enabled
  • Click the 'Process' button and wait; the text area will inform you of scanning the Beregost area file and if any errors are present, else it will output 'No errors found.'
  • When the status bar above the text area shows the word 'Done.', BALDUR.SAV has been patched (or not if there were no problems found) and you are ready to try the save game.
  • A backup is made in the same directory as the input BALDUR.SAV, called BALDUR.BAK.
Hope that is clear for you.

Edited by Ascension64, 02 February 2007 - 03:33 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#6 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

Small update.

--------------
Retired Modder

#7 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:52 AM

Hello Asc,

i can't find the download ... maybe i'm blind today ...

Anyway, i take this occasion to thank you about the crash fixer 'cause it rocks!!!!! It saved more than one game to me ...

CHEERS!

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#8 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:54 AM

Sorry, I misplaced the link for sure. It should be there now.
One day, we'll quash those crashes once and for all.

--------------
Retired Modder

#9 -Banga-

-Banga-

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

howdy,

I have downloaded the link and looked through my Baldurs Gate file. I cant find the 'jar' file you keep referring to. help!

cheers,
banga

#10 -Banga-

-Banga-

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

hey,

found it. When i double click on it, it doesent work. When i tried 'run' it, it didnt work either. Any suggestions?

cheers

#11 -Banga-

-Banga-

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:26 PM

ok i have worked it out. I have scanned all my saves and it says there are no errors. yet when i go back into the game, the game still cuts out as its loading to enter Beregost. I have just finished the Nashkel mines and need to go to Beregost to continue with the main story. grrrr computers are soo frustrating!

#12 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:19 PM

ok i have worked it out. I have scanned all my saves and it says there are no errors. yet when i go back into the game, the game still cuts out as its loading to enter Beregost. I have just finished the Nashkel mines and need to go to Beregost to continue with the main story. grrrr computers are soo frustrating!

Can you please register on the forums here and attach a zip of your saved game?

--------------
Retired Modder

#13 -JD-Smith-

-JD-Smith-

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:57 AM

I used the crash fixer when I ran into crash on load save problems and it worked like a charm. However much further now into the game both of my savegames in or leaving Beregost seem to be crashing again on load and I can't play anymore!

I ran the crash fixer again on these saves but it reports no errors found. Any ideas as to anything else that's causing the issue?

I'm using easytutu most recent download and degreenifier and unfinished business mod.

#14 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:49 PM

I used the crash fixer when I ran into crash on load save problems and it worked like a charm. However much further now into the game both of my savegames in or leaving Beregost seem to be crashing again on load and I can't play anymore!

I ran the crash fixer again on these saves but it reports no errors found. Any ideas as to anything else that's causing the issue?

I'm using easytutu most recent download and degreenifier and unfinished business mod.

Can you register on these forums, then attach a zip file of your problematic saved game?

--------------
Retired Modder

#15 Psykotik

Psykotik
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

command line to launch the program is rather

java -jar BeregostCrashFixer.jar

#16 -Rawrpants-

-Rawrpants-

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

So I had a question (and this is probably a really stupid question, but I thought I'd ask)...

If the fixer simply zeros-out a corrupted data field in the file, and this process doesn't adversely affect the game state, why not modify the save process itself so that the field(s) in question are always zero-ed out after a save? Or would this require that changes be made to the binary itself (which presumably we haven't the source for)?

Just wondering, and apologies if this question is painfully stupid.

#17 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:59 PM

So I had a question (and this is probably a really stupid question, but I thought I'd ask)...

If the fixer simply zeros-out a corrupted data field in the file, and this process doesn't adversely affect the game state, why not modify the save process itself so that the field(s) in question are always zero-ed out after a save? Or would this require that changes be made to the binary itself (which presumably we haven't the source for)?

Just wondering, and apologies if this question is painfully stupid.

Yes, it would involve modifying the binary, and it is probably much more complicated than simply modifying the process like that. Conceptually, you'd screw up all the characters with spells memorized. Also, the problem is sporadic - the error is not generated every time a save is made.

--------------
Retired Modder

#18 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

New version released. This update will fix the problems with the utility 'not working' (i.e. saved games that get corrupted due to a compression problem rather than corrupted area data)

Changes:
- corrected output of BALDUR.BAK
- now reconstructs BALDUR.SAV
- prompt before overwriting an already existing backup

--------------
Retired Modder

#19 -Captain Jorge-

-Captain Jorge-

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

Well done Ascension64!
This is an excellent utility.

#20 kovarex

kovarex
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

It saved my day, thank you.