Classic Dungeons

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:31 AM

Would anyone be interested in playing some of the old "classic" D&D modules with me as DM? They'd be converted to 3.5 edition and might have a few changes from the original version because of this, but otherwise they'd be run from the book. Possible adventures might be:

Keep on the Borderlands
Palace of the Silver Princess
Castle Amber
Isle of Dread
Ravenloft
White Plume Mountain
Tomb of Horrors
Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure

If anyone has another favourite old adventure, or one they've heard of but never played, I would listen to other suggestions. If I don't own it myself I can probably get hold of it :)

Edited by Bluenose, 01 October 2009 - 09:49 AM.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#2 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:17 AM

Darn you, Bluenose. Time...

I'd love to. But who and what to do...

Btw I know absolutely nothing of any of those, so uh any information on those? Alignments/Races/Classes that work well. Ooh this could be a good time for my evil Abjurer...
Or my cleric-mage of Kossuth(or Akadi) who believes in the morality of slavery.
Or that paladin with a brain I promised to have somewhere.
Or my Druid of Talona.
Or perhaps a plain Fighter or Rogue, or that Cleric I've been dragging through NWN2.

Recommendations?
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#3 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:07 AM

I hate to plug Classic Adventures, but if anyone wants to try these old modules in the BG engine you should try Classic Adventures.(see my signature for a link to the homepage) Blue Nose you might want to check out Egg of the Phoenix or To find a king+the Bane of Llwellyn. They are probably among some of the best modules ever made.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#4 Bluenose

Bluenose

• 1565 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:12 AM

Darn you, Bluenose. Time...

I'd love to. But who and what to do...

Btw I know absolutely nothing of any of those, so uh any information on those?

snip...

They're almost all basically straight dungeon-crawls.

Keep on the Borderlands - On the edge of the kingdom is a small castle-keep guarding the trade route through the mountains. Now that route is threatened by the kingdom's enemies the keep has put out a call for heroes. Unfortunately all the heroes are busy, but they have attracted a number of 1st level adventurers :lol:

Palace of the Silver Princess - What happened to the princess when the mysterious dragon-rider came? Enter her palace and lift the curse.

Castle Amber - You're trapped in the Castle trying to find your way out. Meet the family, some are insane, some are merely extremely dangerour. Find the key to escape.

Isle of Dread - Search an island far from the mainland in search of a plateau that holds the secrets of a lost civilisation...

Ravenloft - Count Strahd von Zarovich is having guests for dinner, and you're invited.

White Plume Mountain - Three famous magical weapons have gone missing. Go and get them back from White Plume Mountain, where demons are reputed to roam.

Tomb of Horrors - A tomb filled with deadly traps, lethal monsters, and great treasures.

Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure - Mysterious Maure Castle, a forlorn and foreboding place, is the deadliest location in the land. Deep beneath it lie The Unopenable Doors. No-one has ever passed through. Can you be the first?

There's a variety of levels among those, and there are others I can run. I'll try to expand on them a bit, and perhaps extend the list. If more people are interested then I'll ask what sort of level and type of adventure, then post a selection and perhaps have a poll.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

#5 Bluenose

Bluenose

• 1565 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:18 AM

I hate to plug Classic Adventures, but if anyone wants to try these old modules in the BG engine you should try Classic Adventures.(see my signature for a link to the homepage) Blue Nose you might want to check out Egg of the Phoenix or To find a king+the Bane of Llwellyn. They are probably among some of the best modules ever made.

It was Classic Adventures that had me thinking about this, among a few other things. I remember wandering around some of the areas with my PnP group, so it was great to do so again. I'd recommend it to everyone. I must download the new version.

Egg of the Phoenix. That's another that should be on my list of possible adventures. Travel to another plane and search for the egg :)

Back from the brink.

#6 Dirt_Squirrel

Dirt_Squirrel
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:24 AM

I have never tried a play-by-post but it sounds like a lot of fun! Count me in!
Knowledge is Power, and power corrupts, so study hard and be Evil!

I'm so good that, if I didn't already exist, someone would invent me!

#7 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:30 AM

It was Classic Adventures that had me thinking about this, among a few other things. I remember wandering around some of the areas with my PnP group, so it was great to do so again. I'd recommend it to everyone. I must download the new version.

Egg of the Phoenix. That's another that should be on my list of possible adventures. Travel to another plane and search for the egg :)

In the near future we will include the Palace of the Silver Princess. Candella is one of the thieves from the original module. Do you need a copy of The Egg of the Phoenix?

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#8 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:30 AM

If it was 1st ed or 2nd ed I might be interested.

Edited by leahnkain, 23 May 2007 - 05:31 AM.

#9 Bluenose

Bluenose

• 1565 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:44 AM

I don't know if I could find my 1st edition rulebooks any more. 2nd would mean less conversion work though.

And thanks, but I've got Egg of the Phoenix somewhere. I just have to dig it out from the rest.

Back from the brink.

#10 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:58 AM

If it is 2nd ed, I might be interested. I would need some more details before deciding. CA has taken alot of my spare time. But this might be a good way to get new ideas for CA's NPC's.

#11 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:05 AM

Count me in too! Now I play that elven wizard I have been wanting to for a while! Either that or the cleric I want too.

This should be interesting.... just don't kill me okay.
Steel is my body, fire is my blood.
I've created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as i pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."--Archer from Fate/Stay Night

Posted Image
Signature done by Sinharvest. thanks!

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#12 Dirt_Squirrel

Dirt_Squirrel
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:11 AM

Count me in too! Now I play that elven wizard I have been wanting to for a while! Either that or the cleric I want too.

This should be interesting.... just don't kill me okay.

*Smiles innocently*
Well, I won't *purposely* do *anything* to harm you....but you must realize the inherent dangers in undertaking such a venture and all...*laughs*

Edited by Dirt_Squirrel, 23 May 2007 - 06:11 AM.

#13 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:14 AM

*begins to pray the Bluenose will not let her take the assassin prestige class*
Steel is my body, fire is my blood.
I've created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as i pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."--Archer from Fate/Stay Night

Posted Image
Signature done by Sinharvest. thanks!

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#14 Dirt_Squirrel

Dirt_Squirrel
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:34 AM

*begins to pray the Bluenose will not let her take the assassin prestige class*

*smiles her classic evil smile*
Now, who ever told you that *I* am an assassin? I am merely a simple woman trying to safely make her way in this oh so dangerous world!

#15 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:38 AM

I'd love to play by post!

Any chance of a Minotaur character being allowed?

Minotaur - Feel the authority of my horns.
They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#16 Dirt_Squirrel

Dirt_Squirrel
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:41 AM

I'd love to play by post!

Any chance of a Minotaur character being allowed?

Minotaur - Feel the authority of my horns.

Hi Minotaur!
Good to see you, watch out for that Menelanna however, she is really quite evil...what with those nasty arrows of hers and all!
Hope a minotaur is allowed, I could always use a big strong guy like you to protect lil ol' me!

#17 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:47 AM

I'd love to give it a try, if you don't mind someone who's never done more than look over pen and paper DnD books and whatnot.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#18 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:55 AM

Well Solstice, he's put up with me, who's barely done that. (Though the other day I saw a whole section of DnD books in the local bookstore. It was like Heaven, until I remembered I was(and still am) broke.)

Does 2nd ed have Prestige Classes?

Yeah, looking forward to it.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#19 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:14 AM

2nd ed has kits which I guess would be like a Prestige Class.

#20 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:21 AM

Except you get them at the beginning instead of working up to them. *Nods* Thought so.

Well I suppose either way works, except I'm not clear on the class restrictions in 2ed. Personally I like how 3rd gives you more room for personalizing class race combos (C'mon a Gnome Paladin, a Half-Orc Barbarian Thief, a Dwarven Monk, and a Halfling Warlock. Not to mention the Elven Cleric/Rogue, and the Kobold bard...So much fun)

Edited by Kellen, 24 May 2007 - 10:58 AM.