The BiG World Project

• Please log in to reply
948 replies to this topic

#1 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

Now here are my long awaited instructions for the megamod!

I have named it BiG World and it is an ongoing project that aims to bring together as much mods as possible into one complete big Baldurs Gate game so that they can be loaded and played at the same time.

It's really hard to find through all that truth, half-truth and untruth about megamod installs that are all around in the net. Many of the posts are only guesswork, others are only copied without verification and they don't become true by repeating them again and again. Much of the logfiles swirling around cannot work, but a lot of manpower is bound useless in searching for a solution. A bug-free huge megamod is possible with a big effort from all the creative folks here at spellholdstudios and the other big sites, but only if they develop in one direction. It don't make any sense when a lot of people try different installs and run from one problem to the other.

This install order is a comprehensive advisor for most of the available mods. I hope it would be a base for further improvements. I have made several fixes for a installation without any error. That means not, the megamod is bug-free. But if we can use my megamod as a starting point, we could make any necessary adjustments.

Don't change the order of this Installation without any strong reason. I spent several months on working this out. The fixes will mostly work in one order. Changing the order of one single component may ruin the whole installation! One problem with the megainstall is, that mod A + B + C may work, but A + C + B won't.

During installation some fixes and patches are needed. To make it simple, I have collected all the needed files as well as the changed TP2s in one folder named BiG World Patches. So you need only download this one collection instead of searching dozens of files in the internet.

Also I have created some simple .bat-files that do the installation for you. With this files, you save a lot of hours with installation! This .bat files together with some other needed mods made by friends are in the folder named BiG World Tools.

I had installed the mod several times without any error. At the last try, however, I got error Messages with the mods Unique Artifacts and Ding0 Experience Fixer that showed up never before. I don't know why. The only reason I could think about is, that one component or mod was skipped unnoticed during installation.

Unfortunately, I don't have time within the next few weeks to do further attempts.

In the BiG World Project.zip you will find the instructions as a PDF-file in English and in German together with all the needed Fixes, Patches, .TP2 files, Biffer and some more mods.

Not yet solved problems:
The improvement of the installation-procedure is urgently necessary.

1. The .bat files are not compatible with WeiDU 2.01. Some mods like BG2Fixpack, NEJ, CtB cannot be installed with this method.
2. The installation stops when a window opens
3. Apparently some mods get skipped, especially on a faster Computer. Happened installation should be checked autamatically.
4. Copy and paste should be performed automatically.

I am glad about every suggestion and criticism which serves to improve the megamod and these instructions.

The attached file is no longer up-to-date.
Download the new file v4 instead from here: http://www.shsforums...d...&showcat=72

Attached Files

Edited by Leonardo Watson, 25 December 2007 - 11:41 AM.

#2 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:31 PM

Amazing work, Bravo!

I don't see a list of credits of the people who helped with the project. You're not the only person to design this, are you?

Edited by Azazello, 10 July 2008 - 04:32 PM.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#3 Autar

Autar
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:08 PM

Ganz herzlichen Dank Leonardo!

I expected something great, but this is even more I expected :D

The guide is not mentioning SCS II, It's because completly incompatible or just not tested?

Any hints about that mod? The description sounds like beeing a great improvement. (I really liked SCS I and I think the second part will also be a "must-have" mod for every megamod installation, thats the only reason I'm bothering you directly after finishing this great work)

Please don't think that I'm ungrateful for your work, I don't want to badger you but I will wait until I know about SCS II befor I start my megamod install.

EDIT: maybe a mod should pin this tread.

Edited by Autar, 20 October 2007 - 02:12 PM.

My English is very poor. Italian is my mother language and I also know German very good. Be patien with me & sry for my bad English ;)

#4 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

Sweet! Just in time for my new install. I also was wondering about SCS2 since it just came out and I don't intend to use BP177.

Thanks for your hard work brainstorming this one. I myself don't have the patience and it gives me a migraine when I have install woes. :wacko:

Time for you to take a break eh. :cheers:

#5 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

Is this something that needs stickying? If so, should something be un-stickied for being obsolete?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#6 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

:clap: :clap: :Bow: :clap: :clap:

Great Work!!!! I have only just started looking this over, but it is so much more than I thought it would be!

The guide is not mentioning SCS II, It's because completly incompatible or just not tested?

From what I am seeing on the SCSII forum it needs a bit more work before it should be included in the BiG World Project.

Edited by Chevalier, 20 October 2007 - 09:38 PM.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#7 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:01 AM

Great work
I`lll start downloading the mods today but i`ll start testing after 2 November because i have many other things to do before that.

One question :). I wanted to download mods this way because it wuld be much easier than searching for every mod itself and it looks like not all files(rar`s i mean) are downloadable)

You can download the mods bundled in several packages here:
http://rapidshare.co...02.07_.rar.html
http://home.arcor.de...9/bg/part 4.JPG
http://home.arcor.de...9/bg/part 5.JPG
http://home.arcor.de...9/bg/part 7.JPG
http://home.arcor.de...9/bg/part 8.JPG
http://home.arcor.de.../bg/part 10.JPG

i might be wrong but shouldn`t those jpg files be rar files with mods?

Edited by dragonian, 21 October 2007 - 12:46 AM.

#8 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:36 AM

oops... look here for the right links: http://kerzenburg.ni...mp;postcount=13

Edited by Leonardo Watson, 21 October 2007 - 01:38 AM.

#9 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:47 AM

If i understood right from Steffen`s post which you linked us too(i`m speeaking german a little)there are no
7.1 NEJ v42b
8.2 the darkest day v1.11
8.3.1 check the bodies v1.8
8.5.1 region of terror v2.0
11.3 secret of bonehill v2.05
in those rar files. Am i right?

Edited by dragonian, 21 October 2007 - 07:50 AM.

#10 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:00 AM

Heavy-duty work. I am looking at the bugfixes/compatibility fixes work especially; though this is not my preferred style of install, hats off for a serious long term extremely difficult to create project.

My hope would be that any modders interested in keeping their work as widely compatible as possible would read through your install order suggestion comments in the ReadMe, which highlight *why* you chose to do things in that order, or at least give clues as to the conflicts you uncovered - they help identify areas where code could be tweaked for wider cooperative effort. You taking that extra effort is really, really cool. Some of these mods may also have conceptual conflicts, where taking one action or pathway suddenly doesn't make sense because someone else has incorporated the same characters doing different things/drawing different conclusions, but those inconsistencies can come out in playtest of this install.

Edited by cmorgan, 21 October 2007 - 08:03 AM.

#11 lostincarnation

lostincarnation
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:30 AM

I find that the section 19.5 is missing in the guide.
Accoding to the download link post, that should be sword and fist v2.0.
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong."

#12 Autar

Autar
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:32 AM

If i understood right from Steffen`s post which you linked us too(i`m speeaking german a little)there are no
7.1 NEJ v42b
8.2 the darkest day v1.11
8.3.1 check the bodies v1.8
8.5.1 region of terror v2.0
11.3 secret of bonehill v2.05
in those rar files. Am i right?

NEJ v42b would be nice. I lose mine in my last HD-crash. Anyone know a link? (PM is fine if it's not polite to post it here)
My English is very poor. Italian is my mother language and I also know German very good. Be patien with me & sry for my bad English ;)

#13 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

Is this something that needs stickying? If so, should something be un-stickied for being obsolete?

Errm, I'm asking because I am still quite unfamiliar with the present day mega-modification installs. Can someone advise?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#14 lostincarnation

lostincarnation
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:32 PM

The versions of the following mods are newer than those in the guide:

2.1. Worship the Unseeing Eye-mod v1 v2
10.5. Improved Battles Mod v5 v5.1
10.7. Sword Coast Stratagems v6 v7
13.1. Alex Macintosh v1.1 v2
13.27. Food and Herbal Mod v 1.00 v1.01
14.24. Valen v43 v45
14.26. Xan v5 v6
16.5. Romantic Encounters v1 v2
19.3. Victor's Improvements Pack v1.8 v1.9

Should I use the newer versions or stick with the old ones?

#15 lostincarnation

lostincarnation
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

I can't find the following mods:

3.1. Never Ending Journey 2v42b
3.3. NEJ2v602
11.8. The Black Rose Part I: Market Prices
15.3. Anishai v1.2
23.8. BGT-NPCSound-WeiDU
23.13. BGT Graphical User Interface

I have already checked the download link post in the guide and searched the web.
Do anyone know any available download links?

Edited by lostincarnation, 21 October 2007 - 06:39 PM.

#16 lostincarnation

lostincarnation
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

I find these two mods on the link list but not in the guide
14.20. Neh'taniel Alpha 2.1
20.11. Tashia v205g
Should i ignore them?

22.12. Hubelpot the Vegetable Merchant v1.0

There are different versions of the Mod: V1.0 and V1-1.0. Don't use none of both, but SCIM6 instead of them.

What's this "SCIM6"?

25.2. Chloe v1.2
I find a patch "ChloePatch-v12.rar" on this mod. Should this patch be applied?

Edited by lostincarnation, 21 October 2007 - 08:24 PM.

#17 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

I can't find the following mods:

3.3. NEJ2v602
15.3. Anishai v1.2
23.8. BGT-NPCSound-WeiDU

I have already checked the download link post in the guide and searched the web.
Do anyone know any available download links?

These have been removed from public distribution:
3.3. NEJ2v602

This is part of BGT:

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:51 PM

Errm, I'm asking because I am still quite unfamiliar with the present day mega-modification installs.

Apparently you're not alone. It'd be great if there was an updated BGT/Megamod install thread like the Tutu thread at G3.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#19 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:12 PM

Congratulations Leonardo, great job! 8) BTW, I noticed a few small errors in your guide regarding Rogue Rebalancing:

SETUP-SONG_AND_SILENCE.TP2~
This mod enhances the thieves and bards, adds some new kits and items for both classes and some
general fixes. This Mod should be installed after Rogue ReBalancing, after Refinements and after Ashes of
Embers.

The highlighted part of the statement is incorrect, Song and Silence should be installed before Rogue Rebalancing. See here for details. Also, I think S&S should be installed before Refinements as well, the bigg could probably clarify that. Furthermore, I believe that the following statements are also incorrect:

Install Component [Thief kit revisions]? [I]nstall
This component will be overwritten and improved by concurrent installation of Refinements.

Install Component [Bard kit revisions]? [I]nstall
This component will be overwritten and improved by concurrent installation of Refinements.

AFAIK, Refinements doesn't change the Bard and Thief kits in any way. It merely revises their HLA selection which does (as intended) supersede the RR component of the same name (Bard High Level Ability revisions).

Install Component [Shadow Thief Improvements]? [N]ot Install
This component is not incompatible with the "Additional Shadow Thief Content" component of
Quest Pack.

The incompatibly between the "Shadow Thief Improvements" component of RR and the "Additional Shadow Thieves Content" component of SimDing0's Quest Pack has been resolved in RR v3.8. However, Quest Pack must be still installed before RR in order for this to work properly.

Edited by aVENGER, 22 October 2007 - 12:54 AM.

#20 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:25 PM

I respect a lot this effort really ... u've my hat also because it takes time to write down such a good instructions. But ...

Are we sure an installation (and game) like that works without any issue? I'm pretty sure 100% not. Just an example, Drizzt Saga and Worldmap did have an issue in my install and the game had a critical issue. Something in the install did cause an issue, may be some mods ... so u ca see the problems that could arise.

While i respect this work, really, i honestly don't see the point having so much mods together and moreover ... anyone can/should install what they want and find if a mod is compatible or not with another (or help to be compatible).
It's an ambitious goal, but i guess ... impossible. Who's going to take responsibility and going to solve issues on such an install? I'm pretty sure ANY modder in front of a similar (or just HALF of those mods) are going to reply to you .. "sorry i cannot support such an installation", just because it becomes impossible to find what mod conflicts with another ... looking into 200 more mods!!!

Please don't take this as an offence, it's just my opinion ... i won't suggest NEVER a new player to follow this guide. He will be in troubles very soon.

Just my 2 cents,

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn