Hit Points

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:17 PM

I'm recoding the setting of hit points for new characters at the start of BG1.

Basically, the base HP and the CON penalty/bonus is going to be manually applied by class and over the range of 3-18 CON.

I need confirmation on the following:
  • Any class (single class, multi-class of kit) thereof with included Warrior, Barbarian, Ranger, or Paladin class follow the Warrior CON table
  • All other classes follow the standard (Other) CON table
  • There is a discrepancy between HPCONBON.2DA and the BGII SoA manual with a CON of 3 giving either -2 or -1 HP respectively, and a CON of 6 giving either 0 or -1 HP, respectively. What is correct?
Hopefully, this will fix up all problems with starting chars and importing chars.

Note this will do nothing on characters who don't start with 0 or 1 XP.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:01 PM

I would use hpconbon.2da, which is correct as per the 2nd ed. PHB (-2 HP at 3 Con, -1 at 4-6 Con). Probably just a typo in the manual.

I think everything else you mentioned is correct. There is a known hardcoded issue with barbarians getting 1d12 HP and mods that try to change that (like the Tweaks "NWN-style HP") but hopefully that won't be an issue.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

I would use hpconbon.2da, which is correct as per the 2nd ed. PHB (-2 HP at 3 Con, -1 at 4-6 Con). Probably just a typo in the manual.

I think everything else you mentioned is correct. There is a known hardcoded issue with barbarians getting 1d12 HP and mods that try to change that (like the Tweaks "NWN-style HP") but hopefully that won't be an issue.

How many HP should barbarians start with, 12 or 10?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#4 Bearwere

Bearwere
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

12, obviously

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:19 AM

12, obviously

Yes, assuming you're using maximum HP/normal difficulty rules. It is when you try to change this (e.g. the "NWN-style HP") that the engine chokes due to the hardcoded nature.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 Bearwere

Bearwere
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

Yes, assuming you're using maximum HP/normal difficulty rules.

I believe starting hp are always max, independent of difficulty, aren't they?

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:49 AM

Dunno, maybe the first roll is... haven't messed with it much. Mods might change that too though (for non-barbarians anyway).

#8 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

At level 1, you do get max HP. Don't know about vanilla BGII and level 7, though.
Anywhere, NWN-style HP could simply apply a spell in the starting area rather than trying to perform engine changes. BGT does the former.

--------------
Retired Modder

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:56 PM

At level 1, you do get max HP. Don't know about vanilla BGII and level 7, though.

It depends on the difficulty level, at easy you get max, at normal you get at least 2/3 of max, and at core-rules you get what you should from a dice+CON. (except the first level is always maxed)

No, unless you use the mod.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.